21-09-2011, 08:18 PM
These are your choices. Pick as many as you like -

Yes.
No.
Not sure.
Yes and No.
No and Yes.
Yes, but I'm not sure. No.

I don't trust their reviews if they've had ads for the games on the site.
I only trust their reviews if they've had ads for the games on the site.
I don't trust any reviews from any site.
I trust all reviews from every site.
I trust all reviews from RPS

I used to trust RPS. I don't any more.
I never used to trust RPS. I do now.
I trust RPS more than my mother.
My mother doesn't trust RPS.

I stopped trusting RPS when Quintin left and got a job in marketing.
I started trusting RPS when Quintin left. Never liked him.
I stopped trusting Quintin when he left.
Quintin was my favourite. I miss him.
Quintin is one of my favourites. So are John, Jim, Alec, and Kieron. I miss him.

President Weasel
21-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Can I choose "go away now, you became actively irritating two threads ago"? Because I choose that. That is what I choose.

Nalano
21-09-2011, 08:20 PM
I like RPS' articles.

I fail to see why I should have to qualify that statement.

ColOfNature
21-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Tedious troll is tedious.

Alex Bakke
21-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Yes.

Quintin is one of my favourites. So are John, Jim, Alec, and Kieron. I miss him.

I bolded the options you should have added in.

_____

Regarding your viewpoint on reviews posted at the same time as adverts for the same game; Quinns gave Fallout: New Vegas a bollocking when they had FO:NV ads up. John gave Mafia II a poor review whilst ads were up. Jim gave a completely balanced review of Red Orchestra 2, which has been the subject of your angst.

Tikey
21-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Can I choose "go away now, you became actively irritating two threads ago"? Because I choose that. That is what I choose.

That's my option too.

redox
21-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Yes.

I bolded the options you should have added in.

On it. Thanks.

arienette
21-09-2011, 08:31 PM
I haven't trusted RPS since we played hide and seek, and they never came to find me!

Althea
21-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Can I just say no? I read articles and find really trivial flaws (Such as recently in a bargain post, Civ V was referred to as releasing this year) or scaremongering for the sake of hits (Skyrim GfWL scare).

It seems to be more about posting the odd press release and review rather than looking at the state of PC gaming. I don't remember RPS ever bringing up the lack of Collector's Edition for Arkham City, but they mentioned it's delayed. With Ubisoft, who actually treat the PC better than some regardless of their DRM methods and delays, they're almost always vitriolic and damning, yet with Mojang and his £15-not-even-finished game and Paradox they're all worshippy.

RPS can be a fun read sometimes, and I must admit I find it better than the lamentable PC Gamer, but sometimes it does grind my gears.

Jockie
21-09-2011, 08:45 PM
I don't get what your problem is Redox, there is no conspiracy.

I think you're underestimating the people on the site (as well as the writers) if you think we're all under the influence of some marketing ploy where we all buy whatever game RPS is being paid to sell us.

You're not the one-man crusade against corruption you think you are, you're just a guy seeing(seeking?) shadows in a clear sunny field.

imirk
21-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I almost long for Wizardry to come in here and tell you about his namesake being God's gift to humanity

Kodeen
21-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Trust them with what, exactly? They write about video games, and mention specific details. Either I read the details and they sound appealing, or they do not. Even if RPS did have some sort of slant, short of outright lying about the details I'm not sure how successful they could be.

Rossignol
21-09-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't remember RPS ever bringing up the lack of Collector's Edition for Arkham City, but they mentioned it's delayed.

Haha. That's a great point, I don't know why we didn't jump right on that.

Althea
21-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Haha. That's a great point, I don't know why we didn't jump right on that.
It could have been mentioned, but I don't remember seeing it, so there is a chance I'm wrong on that.

thegooseking
21-09-2011, 09:50 PM
It's not a question of whether I (or anyone) trusts RPS or not; it's a question of how much they trust RPS compared with how much they trust anything else. It's all relative. In order from lowest to highest, my trust sort of goes:-

Random guy with opinion and internet connection.
Game marketing.
Friends of mine who don't know much about games.
Interviews/postmortems with developers.
Most other journalists.
RPS.
Some other journalists.
Friends of mine who know a lot about games.
Evidence of my own senses and ability to think.

Cable
21-09-2011, 09:50 PM
I hate to break it to you redox, but RPS isn't actually about you. It's (i think) about a bunch of friends who want to write about games that happen on a computer and figured out a way to get paid for it. Some of us appreciate this so come and read these writings.

These writings are not purely to satisfy your needs and they are most definitely biased, not only do they choose entirely what to write about but they get to choose what they say in the things they write too.

If you don't trust them or enjoy it then you find another site to provide writings for you to read that meet your desires, that's how the internet works.

I personally do not believe they have sold their souls to the devil so i continue to read the writings as do some others, if you feel they have that is your opinion which you are welcome to hold. But it would be nice if you could limit your opinion to just a couple of threads and not fill the forum (which they provided for us to use and enjoy) up with them.

Auspex
21-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Do you believe redox to be a valuable member of the RPS community?

No.
Certainly not.
No, sir. No.
I hear Horace has denounced him as a heathen.
He offended my tortoise.
Sunny but maybe showers later.
He smells like an old piece of ham.
He’s a worse healer than John.
He has very low iron levels.
He is not quite the thing.
That WASD guy was pretty cool wasn’t he?

Nalano
21-09-2011, 10:11 PM

No.
Certainly not.
No, sir. No.
He offended my tortoise.
Who?

Seriously, the guy apparently got bitchslapped by the Powers That Be twice before I even knew he existed. Clearly I follow the wrong circles.

SMiD
21-09-2011, 10:21 PM

No.
Certainly not.
No, sir. No.
He offended my tortoise.

As an aside, we need more Horace..... as if that's possible.

deano2099
21-09-2011, 10:26 PM
It seems to be more about posting the odd press release and review rather than looking at the state of PC gaming. I don't remember RPS ever bringing up the lack of Collector's Edition for Arkham City, but they mentioned it's delayed. With Ubisoft, who actually treat the PC better than some regardless of their DRM methods and delays, they're almost always vitriolic and damning, yet with Mojang and his £15-not-even-finished game and Paradox they're all worshippy.

This.

It's fucking ridiculous. It's almost like RPS is run by a bunch of real people with actual thoughts, opinions and natural biases. Fuck that shit, what am I paying for if RPS isn't being created by a programmatically neutral news-aggregating AI? Gin?

mpk
21-09-2011, 10:30 PM
This dude works for the RO2 developers, amirite? This whole thing is just a marketing monkey going insane because his sole job was to get RPS to post a glowing day zero review telling everyone how utterly wonderful Red Ostrich 2 is, and how no one should buy Modern Cod Wars or BFF3.

Seriously though. If you really need RPS' endorsement before you buy the game, PM me. I'll pretend to be KG and write you a 5000 word review that will actually, very subtly, call you a cupid stunt. You will, however, have to buy me a copy of this game, which I will not play.

imirk
21-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Evidence of my own senses and ability to think.

Do not trust your eyes, they can deceive you!

Althea
21-09-2011, 10:36 PM
It's fucking ridiculous. It's almost like RPS is run by a bunch of real people with actual thoughts, opinions and natural biases. Fuck that shit, what am I paying for if RPS isn't being created by a programmatically neutral news-aggregating AI? Gin?
I'm guessing that's a less than sly jab at what I said.

I'm all for RPS posting news, and I understand it's a small team, but it feels - to me - as if important things for PC gamers are being overlooked. We get pieces laying into Ubisoft who, unlike some other major publishers, actually develop and publish niche titles for the PC (The Settlers, Anno, Might & Magic; They have had handheld releases, though, but usually not like the PC titles) but they did screw up with their DRM, although I must confess I am not finding it all that bad.

We get pieces which are baseless scaremongering (Skyrim GfWL scare), but then it seems as if pieces relating to the actual screwing over of PC gamers, such as the lack of CE for Arkham City or Ubisoft's inability to release anything meaningful about their PC titles in English, are either not published or the issues aren't mentioned at all. I mean I'm thankful RPS doesn't focus on MMOs all that much, because with Massively and Curse around it's just not needed, but I would love to see more pieces that deal with the state of PC gaming rather than laying into a flawed publisher who make mistakes but still support the PC.

Another article recently that got me thinking was the one about the Unwritten Tales adventure game. No mention was made of its release date in the UK, although it had been announced the week before. It was a good piece, but it seemed a bit odd because it missed out a key bit of information.

thegooseking
21-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Do not trust your eyes, they can deceive you!

I'm talking about my Force-sense, obviously.

Nalano
21-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm guessing that's a less than sly jab at what I said.

I'm all for RPS posting news, and I understand it's a small team, but it feels - to me - as if important things for PC gamers are being overlooked. We get pieces laying into Ubisoft who, unlike some other major publishers, actually develop and publish niche titles for the PC (The Settlers, Anno, Might & Magic; They have had handheld releases, though, but usually not like the PC titles) but they did screw up with their DRM, although I must confess I am not finding it all that bad.

We get pieces which are baseless scaremongering (Skyrim GfWL scare), but then it seems as if pieces relating to the actual screwing over of PC gamers, such as the lack of CE for Arkham City or Ubisoft's inability to release anything meaningful about their PC titles in English, are either not published or the issues aren't mentioned at all. I mean I'm thankful RPS doesn't focus on MMOs all that much, because with Massively and Curse around it's just not needed, but I would love to see more pieces that deal with the state of PC gaming rather than laying into a flawed publisher who make mistakes but still support the PC.

Another article recently that got me thinking was the one about the Unwritten Tales adventure game. No mention was made of its release date in the UK, although it had been announced the week before. It was a good piece, but it seemed a bit odd because it missed out a key bit of information.

So what you're saying - or, at least, what I'm getting out of your post - is that RPS needs more writers. :D

Lambchops
21-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Modern Cod Wars or BFF3.

Personally I'm indifferent towards the race for first plaice between Modern Cod Wars and Big Fish Frenzy 3. All I want is a review of Red Snapper 2: Herring of Skirmish.

archonsod
21-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm all for RPS posting news, and I understand it's a small team, but it feels - to me - as if important things for PC gamers are being overlooked.

Given the writers are all PC gamers, and ones who write about what they feel is important to them as PC gamers, then it seems to me that they simply disagree on what's important with you.

Plus of course you actually need something interesting to write an article about in the first place. Ubi's always on DRM is kinda interesting, Ubi's inability to find decent English translators not so much. I mean you could spin it out into an article about companies favouring their home market over foreign markets, but not only would that be somewhat out of place on RPS, it's old news in the first place.

Smashbox
21-09-2011, 10:53 PM
It's not a PC game news superstore, it's a boutique.

mpk
21-09-2011, 11:44 PM
pieces relating to the actual screwing over of PC gamers, such as the lack of CE for Arkham City

Why would this even be an issue? So there isn't currently a horrendously overpriced version of the game featuring extra tat and nonsense? Well, fuck me, let me write a letter to my fucking MP. I wasn't aware that I wasn't being given the choice to spend even more of my hard earned cash and get the exact same game as an end result.

It's a non-issue and now I'm going to ignore you. Good night.

EDIT: As an aside, Ubisoft don't "support" the PC - they may release games for the format, but they sure as hell don't support it as much as exploit it.

QuantaCat
21-09-2011, 11:55 PM
EDIT: As an aside, Ubisoft don't "support" the PC - they may release games for the format, but they sure as hell don't support it as much as exploit it.

I dont think that. I think Ubisoft is a company with internal difficulties getting their act together. The console bits all apparently work, but again, the console versions have very strict deadlines. The PC, not so. (theres an article floating around somewhere, for indie developers, on which way to publish things, look it up)

Heck, there are even "segregated" developer teams in ubisoft internally. I dont know if this has an effect on productivity or not, but like I said, it just seems to me like a slightly malfunctioning company. (remember the AC soundtrack being the rip someone made, just added on into the collectors edition?)

westyfield
22-09-2011, 12:00 AM
I trust RPS more than I trust my parents, my brother, my friends, my GP and my local vicar. I'd trust them with anything.

Hey Jim - if you ever need a spare kidney (or two), just call me.

redox
22-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Results time! Woohoo!

Ok, I've studied the results and I must say, I'm surprised. I had to say that.

We have, 1 Yes and 1 No.

What does this show us?
Well the answers to that vary, but I think it's a yes and a no?
What does this mean? Did anyone win?
Everyone in this thread is a winner. You're all winners. Well done you.

So, in closing, I'd like to thank Jim for not taking this poll seriously.

redox
22-09-2011, 12:11 AM

No.
Certainly not.
No, sir. No.
He offended my tortoise.

Ooooh, another poll! Yipee! A poll within a poll!

I'll go with,

No, sir. No.

'cos I always wanted to be a military man.

I'll also pick,

Certainly not.

This is fun right? < Not a poll.

archonsod
22-09-2011, 12:34 AM
I dont think that. I think Ubisoft is a company with internal difficulties getting their act together.
Nope, they're just French. In France, PR is something that happens in other countries.

deano2099
22-09-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm all for RPS posting news, and I understand it's a small team, but it feels - to me - as if important things for PC gamers are being overlooked.
Nope, things important to *you* are being overlooked. "PC gamers" are not some homogeneous entity. We're all individuals and what one thinks is important others might not. RPS makes no claims to being a comprehensive PC website. Indeed, they're nothing more than a blog and are happy to admit that. A bunch of people that write about what interests them in the field of PC games. There's a good chance it'll match up with what interests you. But it might not. In which case maybe it isn't the site for you. I have to admit, I've read less stuff on here (at least proportionally) since Kieron left. Just because my tastes matched up with his particularly well. But I don't criticise them for that.

And if you really think something has been overlooked, tweet them or email contact@rockpapershotgun.com - just the once. Then they're aware of it. If they chose not to cover it that's their choice.

DigitalSignalX
22-09-2011, 12:56 AM
The gooseking and cable have nailed it. Next thread plz k thx bai.

Wolfenswan
22-09-2011, 01:23 AM
before this thread is closed i just wanted to state that i find mpk's avatar to be incredibly annoying as i can't help but read all his comments with sean's accent.

on-topic:
don't trust nobody never. keep your tin-foil helmet with you at all times.

Unaco
22-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Results time! Woohoo!

Ok, I've studied the results and I must say, I'm surprised. I had to say that.

We have, 1 Yes and 1 No.

What does this show us?
Well the answers to that vary, but I think it's a yes and a no?
What does this mean? Did anyone win?
Everyone in this thread is a winner. You're all winners. Well done you.

So, in closing, I'd like to thank Jim for not taking this poll seriously.

I don't trust your analysis.

TheRed
22-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Is it me or is this thread entirely stupid?

Even if writers on sites ARE in the pockets of various companies etc, I don't think they are just going to say 'oh right, fair cop guv'nor, we are bastards'.. so why even ask? As for impartiality and journalistic codes etc, that sort of argument is stupid. It's a relatively small site talking about games, not the bloody state of the global economy, so get a grip. If there is some bias or whatever, it's not earth-shattering. It IS a small team, and some of the trifling details being raised as 'missed stories' are laughable. There is a LOT to cover, and clearly, with a readership of this size, many regard it as a success. Not all the pieces float my boat, nor do they always seem perfect, but it's better than most other things I read about PC gaming so I'll stick with it. I believe that it's nice to hold writers to account, but we come here of our free will and don't have a right to anything. If you don't like it, leave, I suppose. Challenge if you must, if you deem it worthy, but do so appropriately and accept the response. At the end of the day, all writing is subjective, and that's a fact across any journalistic platform, no matter how hard people try to be objective.<br />
<br />
Oh, and finally - there are some posters who, at a casual glance, seem to do nothing but try to character-assassinate the site, continually, in various petty ways. Why bother? What's the point? What are you trying to achieve? As mentioned above, idiotic (is it called trolling?) posting won't resolve anything you have a problem with, particularly if there's nothing to say your problem is anything other than the fanatical jabberings of a warped mind.

Nalano
22-09-2011, 03:01 AM
I don't trust your analysis.

Nonsense. I trust him. I trust him to lie.

sinister agent
22-09-2011, 05:51 AM
I don't trust RPS. That Meer guy is going to shiv me in my sleep, I know it. Well, I'm fucking ready for him. He's in for the bludgeoning of the decade if he tries it.

sinister agent
22-09-2011, 06:07 AM
But seriously. Every game I've played as a result of RPS mind-wave-o-tron (you may know it as a "website" in the primitive gloop you call the 21st century) has been enjoyable and/or interesting as a minimum, with one notable exception.

That's a pretty damn good hit rate over the three years or so I've been reading. They're not perfect, of course (the latest secret Quinns-bot is still a prototype, after all), but then neither are any other three or four people in the world.

I know for a fact that the RPS chaps are intelligent and very skilled writers. I know that they're enthusiastic and knowledgeable about video games. I have no reason to doubt that they're as honest as humans can realistically be (though Jim still denies killing all those priests, that doesn't really affect the games thing). Therefore they say the things they believe, based on trusted contacts, investigation and/or research, and we're all free to agree or disagree as we see fit, and construct an idea of whether or not we'll like a game based on their comments.

So really, I don't get what your problem is, guy. Believe me, I've been down the "games journos are corrupt!!" road before (I could link you to some very silly comments of my own from a few years back on the subject), and I'm sure there are a few out there who really are, same as there are in any occupation.

But it's quite ridiculous to suggest that RPS, of all people, are willing to sacrifice their integrity for a quick buck, just because they have adverts and don't exclusively say the things you want them to say, all the time. I mean, I don't give a flying fuck if every Mug's Edition of every game in the world is obliterated. It's not inherently newsworthy, and if none of the writers are personally interested in such a small story, why would they write about it? How could they possibly cover everything if even a delay to a meaningless trinket has to be written about? They have to sleep occasionally, you know, and since they murdered Quinns they're a man down.

I just can't see any reason to believe that RPS are somehow corrupt. If they were they'd have accepted my money for a go on Walker.

And if you disagree, and I say this in the nicest way, why not just go somewhere else?

Althea
22-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Why would this even be an issue? So there isn't currently a horrendously overpriced version of the game featuring extra tat and nonsense? Well, fuck me, let me write a letter to my fucking MP. I wasn't aware that I wasn't being given the choice to spend even more of my hard earned cash and get the exact same game as an end result.

It's a non-issue and now I'm going to ignore you. Good night.
It's a non-issue for you. Some of us may want the collector's edition, or be interested in it, and as such it's an issue for us. There's also the bigger picture in which it shows that the PC has been sidelined to some degree and that the studio/publisher haven't got a clue what their fans want. For Arkham City itself, they've made a big song and dance about PhysX and higher quality textures (Oh wow I am so excited about that I've never had PhysX in a game before), they've added 3D (For the few who have it) and they've gone and whacked GfWL onto it despite a lot of people not liking it or having problems with it, but also despite developers generally moving away from it.

If you don't want the CE, fine, but there was absolutely no need for that attitude.

Nope, things important to *you* are being overlooked. "PC gamers" are not some homogeneous entity. We're all individuals and what one thinks is important others might not. RPS makes no claims to being a comprehensive PC website. Indeed, they're nothing more than a blog and are happy to admit that. A bunch of people that write about what interests them in the field of PC games. There's a good chance it'll match up with what interests you. But it might not. In which case maybe it isn't the site for you. I have to admit, I've read less stuff on here (at least proportionally) since Kieron left. Just because my tastes matched up with his particularly well. But I don't criticise them for that.
Again, I'm not criticising them as such for it as I know they're a small team, but I'm saying a bit more attention on situations where PC gamers get less for no reason wouldn't go amiss because, as you rightly said, I think it's important. I need more than two hands to count all the instances I can think of where PC gamers have come off worse for no reason, and I think if anyone can do a look at the industry in that style, it'd be RPS. The Escapist is just shit, PC Gamer is a load of wank and Kotaku is too busy fawning over Japanese ladies with breasts the size of Humvee wheels.

QuantaCat
22-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Nope, they're just French. In France, PR is something that happens in other countries.

That was a joke, right? I mean, I hope you know that theyre canadian.. (the thing about the french is true, cant argue with that.)

endintears
22-09-2011, 08:47 AM
It's a non-issue for you.

And so we come to the root of the issue which is that the RPS writers cover the stories that they want to, and not what other people tell them to. Which, as far as I'm concerned, results in the finest PC gaming website on the intarwebs.

Vexing Vision
22-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Dear Redox, I did try to explain how internet advertising works. :) Trust me. I did this stuff myself, on both sides.

Anyway!

I read RPS because:

I am entertained by their articles.

RPS-staff like the games I like. The reason they like the games I like are usually the same reasons I have for liking the games I like. This makes me trust their recommendations.

I am entertained by the community and comments.

Ian
22-09-2011, 09:41 AM
As usual, this absurd Batman collector's edition complaint can be summed with the fact that RPS's attitude always seems to be more that it's their blog (as in, they write about what they want to write about, not trying to cover everything), not their attempt an all-conquering news site.

So please, please would people stop asking such an excellent site to be something it's not?

Pretty please?

ford
22-09-2011, 09:42 AM
In a word, yes.

GraveyardJimmy
22-09-2011, 09:47 AM
I think the only response to redox in all seriousness has to be this:

QQ lol.

thegooseking
22-09-2011, 10:28 AM
That was a joke, right? I mean, I hope you know that theyre canadian.. (the thing about the french is true, cant argue with that.)

Montreuil is not Montreal. They're French.

Unless you're making some joke I'm missing.

westyfield
22-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Ubisoft are French. They have offices in different countries, including the French part of Canada. Now can we please get back to the important issues being discussed in this thread, like, er. Oh wait.

Alex Bakke
22-09-2011, 12:16 PM
It was really cold in the morning today, so I put on an extra T-shirt before walking to school. Unfortunately the sun came out so I started sweating loads. These are troubled times.

QuantaCat
22-09-2011, 12:23 PM
The bigger ubisoft things are being made in canada, thats also where they have the segregation stuff I was talking about.

deano2099
22-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Again, I'm not criticising them as such for it as I know they're a small team, but I'm saying a bit more attention on situations where PC gamers get less for no reason wouldn't go amiss because, as you rightly said, I think it's important.
It did get referenced in the original piece: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/18/biff-batman-arkham-city-collectors-edition/ - to be honest I have a feeling John might well have picked up on it if it didn't happen when he was moving house and had no internet access... I also imagine it'll get mentioned closer to the time or in the review, it's just not really a pressing immediate issue (we're well past the point where they could make any PC editions and get them out on time now).

Tei
22-09-2011, 06:01 PM
I don't remember the name, but I got once a game that RPS put in very good terms. And the game was bad to me.

This made me trust RPS a bit less. Wen RPS say a game is very good, it is probably very good, but not on all cases will be fun to me.

So wen RPS say that a obscure Indie game is fun, It pays to check the game, because 9/10 times is worth testing it. Wen RPS recomend games (or talk in good terms) about games, I agree the 9/10 of times. Theres this 1 of 10 that we will not agree, and I have no way to know what game will be.

Fortunally enough, theres a lot of information on the internet to decide about games.

Nalano
22-09-2011, 06:04 PM
I don't remember the name, but I got once a game that RPS put in very good terms. And the game was bad to me.

This made me trust RPS a bit less. Wen RPS say a game is very good, it is probably very good, but not on all cases will be fun to me.

So wen RPS say that a obscure Indie game is fun, It pays to check the game, because 9/10 times is worth testing it. Wen RPS recomend games (or talk in good terms) about games, I agree the 9/10 of times. Theres this 1 of 10 that we will not agree, and I have no way to know what game will be.

Fortunally enough, theres a lot of information on the internet to decide about games.

So a better question than "should I trust RPS?" is "does RPS' bias hew to my bias?" and that's a personal question.

zeekthegeek
22-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I pick "I don't trust any reviews from any site."

I try to take what info I can from every review I read and find my own middle ground. Sometimes I dive into Something Awful and see what goons think too. If I trusted RPS I may never have bought New Vegas and that would make my world significantly darker. Some of their points were right in that case, although I personally never experienced 90 percent of the bugs they talked about.

LowKey
22-09-2011, 09:08 PM
I agree with you zeek and I think thats the key thing with RPS, reviews are intrinsically subjective and I appreciate that RPS are honest enough to admit this, their reviews are purely the thoughts of the writer and you take from that what you will, they give an impression but it is only the writers impression

TailSwallower
23-09-2011, 07:26 AM
As long as redox insists on posting one of these inane threads once every couple of days I can only suggest this (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=2554) as opposed to actually feeding the troll.

Yes, the ignore button. This is the first time I've ever felt the need to use it in all my years of posting on forums. The best part is that the forum doesn't highlight the threads he starts as new and unread so you can feel like you're keeping up with everything that's being posted without actually having to read his threads.

TheRed
23-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Another interesting point - why trust? Why would we trust people we don't know anyway? The most we can ever do is have a general trust for how valid we believe their reviewing is, and that's only based on the level of disparity between our opinions on games and theirs. ie, subjective, just the same as ANY piece of opinion writing. If there were facts that were simply lied about, it would be a different matter, but it's not. Even if they were all paid off to review games I think are terrible as good, and vice versa, there would still be some people with views closer to them than my own. Anyone who really thinks 'trust' is vital for something we read for free is a fool. At the end of the day, I'll be guided by a number of outlets and amalgamate opinions that I have come, over time, to believe fall vaguely in line with my own. If I spend money on something, it's still my own choice, and I should own that. As should everyone else.

JiminyJickers
01-10-2011, 07:14 AM
With my firstborn child.

mrpier
01-10-2011, 10:06 AM
RPS is:

A. Never gonna give you up
B. Never gonna let you down
C. Never gonna run around and desert you
D. Never gonna make you cry
E. Never gonna say goodbye
F. Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you
G. All of the above

redox
01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
RPS is:

A. Never gonna give you up
B. Never gonna let you down
C. Never gonna run around and desert you
D. Never gonna make you cry
E. Never gonna say goodbye
F. Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you
G. All of the above

http://messenger.msn.com/Resource/emoticons/teeth_smile.gif

G, I hope.

What happened to that thread?

I guess we're never going to know what RPS/Jim thinks about the rerelease of The Red Orchestra 2 beta.

On to the next one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM1RChZk1EU

kirrus
01-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Lets not start this all over again..