PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to help me get to play TIE Fighter? :)

Undermind_Mike
06-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi RPS!

I played X-Wing a lot as a kid (I could draw all the ships to a high degree of precision, and did) and you guys go on about TIE Fighter so much I am now desperate to play TIE Fighter too!

There are a lot of instructions online about DOSBOX and alternative sound drivers etc. etc. but I don't have the time or the patience to try everything suggested... I was hoping to be lazy and that someone here would be able to say "as it happens I know a way / a link that I know works on a modern Windows 7 machine."

Happy to buy or procure the game itself, whatever is best.

Feel free to tell me to get stuffed :) don't think of it as tech support, think of it as advice for someone wanting to walk the path of enlightenment but unsure how best to start :P

Hi to anyone who was at the Blue Posts last time btw!

Tikey
06-06-2011, 08:54 PM
I should check if the collector edition works on win 7 (as far as I rememeber it did work on XP)

Ravenger
07-06-2011, 11:53 AM
The collector's edition does work on XP, but you need a patch.

soldant
07-06-2011, 11:58 AM
The DOS version will run on DOSBOX with practically no effort. DOSBOX is extremely easy to use and there are even frontends which make it childproof. That's the way I ended up doing it just because it's a failsafe method to get it to work as intended.

The updated TIE Fighter that used the XWING vs TIE Fighter engine will also work on Win7 with a bit of effort (and you'll need to kill the Explorer task or the colours on the screen will mess up) and a small patch, but it's missing the iMUSE soundtrack and is therefore terrible.

Undermind_Mike
07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
OK thanks, I'll try the DOS version and DOSBOX. Fingers crossed!

frenz0rz
08-06-2011, 12:13 AM
If that fails, you could always pop over to the Abandonia forums (http://www.abandonia.com/en/forum) and see what advice they can offer you. Its been a while since I visited the site, so I cant speak for how active the forums are, but if you dont get a swift reply then there may well be an archived thread dedicated to getting Tie Fighter working.