PDA

View Full Version : Rock Paper Dragon (D&D Online)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jolima
22-09-2011, 07:00 PM
This thread is for players interested in playing D&D Online together a few hours per week.

There is a Steam group RockPaperDragon (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RockPaperDragon), and a spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuX1tdfDALOYdGlqUjVKaW04NkhGUjZKeDNjSVhUV mc&hl=en_US).

We are playing on Ghallanda. There is an in-game guild named Rock Paper Shortbow (http://my.ddo.com/guild-ghallanda-rock_paper_shortbow/).

How it works:

We are not using fixed groups, instead scheduling sessions on the spreadsheet that anyone interested can sign up for.

Sign up for a session by making the cell under your name green. There is a maximum number of 6 players unless noted otherwise. If the session is filled, use a darker green color instead to be a reserve, and to show that another session could take place at the same time. All times are in the current British timezone (GMT or BST) unless noted otherwise.

Schedule a session by adding a new line on the spreadsheet with a date and time and any other details necessary.

We are using a Mumble server (mumble://server.herosquad.org:64738/?version=1.2.3) for voice chatting thanks to Nullkigan. (Instructions (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?533-Unofficial-Community-Mumble-server))

More details as we discover them.

---

Original post:

The recent article on MMO dungeons/instances made me want to try out Dungeons and Dragons Online. I'd prefer to play it with some other sensible RPS folks new to the game and expect to play it a few hours per weekend.

Anyone else tempted to try it out on a similar schedule?

LowKey
22-09-2011, 07:48 PM
am I right in thinking it has gone free to play? if so i'd certainly be up for a wee bit of dungeon crawling

Jolima
22-09-2011, 08:44 PM
It has indeed. Which is why I'm interested really.

President Weasel
22-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Used to play D&D waaaay back in the day when there was a 10 level cap, it wasn't free to play, they hadn't introduced Drows yet (and then they did and I had to do a quest or something to get to play one). I remember it as being pretty decent and having a good amount of D&D feel implemented into it.

I would be up for this thing, especially if we can get a quiet corner of the RPS mumble server to mumble at each other while we play - and only if you're serious about the "a few hours per weekend" thing, and we can get an RPS group to play on the same schedule.
There's always one guy who goes racing ahead - I'd find the old penny arcade about that, but I am lazy.

Sarigs
22-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I tried it briefly and found it really fun but it without a group it lost it's lustre trying to solo the content, a regular group for short bursts would be more then enough to bring me back though!

Vexing Vision
22-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Recommendation: Build a core group of three or four people, and fill as needed. Have other characters, but play those three or four together. Make sure you got the classics: Trapsmith, healer, arcanist, meatshield. There's a lot of variety in each of those, so don't feel too limited. It's brilliant fun exploring all the adventures on your own time in a group.

kingbiscuit
22-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Sounds fun, I'm up for it if the party isn't full yet. Are beards a requirement?

duff
22-09-2011, 10:44 PM
I could play if we get a nice group together. I was actually thinking of seeing if we could get a D2 playthrough group going but this seems even better.

@ PW - You've teased us now so you have to find it. :p

Vexing Vision
23-09-2011, 09:22 AM
By the way, I'd love to join but my time schedule is all over the place and unreliable in the extreme.

If you opt to start your group on Ghallanda though, I do have several characters all over the place from level 4 to 20 that would love to join your party on occasion. (And I never spoil quests or puzzles for newbies.)

Harlander
23-09-2011, 10:51 AM
I could really be interested in this. I never quite managed to get into DDO seriously before - I think a proper group of people who are actually on in my timezone was the missing element.

Wolfenswan
23-09-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm tempted, i'll have a look at this.

Screwie
23-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Oh man, I'm very tempted to get back into this. Not sure how much time I can devote though.

Would this be a once-a-week team thing, or more than that?

Heliocentric
23-09-2011, 04:10 PM
I gave this a quick spin ages ago as a shape changing into a badger with a badger summon and a badger companion. I called it 3B but I can't remember why. I would like to play this with real people rather than the silent drones you normally get.

LowKey
23-09-2011, 05:48 PM
id really be up for a couple of hours a week sort of dealio

Squiz
23-09-2011, 06:10 PM
If this isn't too time-consuming, I might give it a shot and lend a hand. :)

Berzee
23-09-2011, 06:47 PM
I gave this a quick spin ages ago as a shape changing into a badger with a badger summon and a badger companion. I called it 3B but I can't remember why. I would like to play this with real people rather than the silent drones you normally get.

LOL
I was wondering what my first character was going to be.
Now I have at least one idea clamoring for the prize, and I haven't even looked at the character generator.

boots468
23-09-2011, 06:55 PM
It doesn't look like you're going to be short of people, but if you are, count me in! DDO looks very interesting indeed, especially with a group of like-minded RPSers.

President Weasel
23-09-2011, 07:16 PM
I could play if we get a nice group together. I was actually thinking of seeing if we could get a D2 playthrough group going but this seems even better.

@ PW - You've teased us now so you have to find it. :p

It took me ages. Ages.
It's called "a being of idescribably power". It's from 2004. And it's not there.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/12/31

tell you what, here's a video of Brian Cox being well into science instead (warning - swears)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhn8j7S4uKU&feature=player_embedded

Heliocentric
23-09-2011, 07:40 PM
HTTP://media.wowstead.com/attachments/thumbnails/4/670/650/372/634205426411050946.jpg That the one?

Jolima
23-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Looks like we have a lot more people than can fit in one group, which seem to be 6.

What I've done is create a Steam group RockPaperDragon (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RockPaperDragon), created a spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuX1tdfDALOYdGlqUjVKaW04NkhGUjZKeDNjSVhUV mc&hl=en_US) and scheduled an event in both of them to play a first adventure this Sunday from 10-12 AM BST. If not enough people can join it we'll reschedule.

When that has filled up, or if you can't make it on that time, please announce some other time to get another group started. Since we are so many, hopefully we can have a loose schedule and some intermingling between groups with people joining whichever suits them that particular week. Ask and I'll make you admin of the Steam group to make announcements.

To get this working we should all play on the same server I suppose. Ghallanda was mentioned. Anyone opposed?

That's it. Hope it works. Suggest improvements or tell me what I've missed. Etc. Etc.

Also, don't level away from the group. :-)

The Tupper
23-09-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm tempted - the weekend time investment is something I could do (dependant on where in the world you are, of course - my clock is GMT, well, BST for the next week or so). Not sure if the word 'sensible' applies, however.

I'm likely to be too inept and inexperienced at MMOs for your purposes, though. I've played WoW a wee bit, but have always been a solo-player. I'd possibly be a liability.

Screwie
23-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Well I definitely can't make it this weekend, but I would be happy to run a team, say, next Thursday night?

Oh! Something to remember:

The tutorial is a single-player instance, so unless you want to be hanging around for ages I would suggest that everyone who's interested go through the tutorial on their own prior to whatever the agreed start time is.

Jolima
23-09-2011, 08:45 PM
The tutorial is a single-player instance, so unless you want to be hanging around for ages I would suggest that everyone who's interested go through the tutorial on their own prior to whatever the agreed start time is.
Ah, good point. Do that everyone. (Is it possible to skip it?)

The Tupper: I'm inexperienced if anyone is. Don't let that stop you.

Just in case it wasn't clear: put a green mark in the sheet if you are joining the session. To schedule a new one, just write the date in the next line. I imagine we will be writing adventure names or something there later on as well.

We should also try to get our hands on a Mumble server if anyone can help out with that.

I don't think we have to care too much about overlapping classes if we are going to be 6 player groups, but try to leave room for a healer, a rogue and a tank perhaps? Anyone more experienced who can tell us how much that matters?

Harlander
23-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Anyone care to do some on Saturday? I could probably make the 10pm, but it's just at the end of the super special Folk ArmA session

President Weasel
23-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I thought that was 10am to 12 - if it's 10pm to 12am, I think I will be busy missing the FOLK session by being busy being out at a comedy thing - it's like I will be double missing this thing.

Hows about a 10 in the morning to 12 noon o'clock on Sunday thing for the others?

Harlander
23-09-2011, 09:12 PM
10-12 am? That's more viable, but who schedules game meetups in the morning?

Jolima
23-09-2011, 09:13 PM
10am to 12noon is what I meant. Sorry about any confusion over that.

(I still find it confusing that 12 am comes after 11 pm and 12 pm comes after 11 am.)

Harlander
23-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Not your fault; it turns out I can't read

President Weasel
23-09-2011, 09:20 PM
wait, now I have to go back and undo my spreadsheet post. Although come to think of it, that's really easy. I'll post up an evening session in case anyone fancies that

Squiz
23-09-2011, 09:41 PM
10am to 12pm is a pretty long session, no? On the other hand it seems as if the Dungeons could take a while to do, so no idea how much of a time investment this could be.

DarkFenix
23-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd be tentatively interested, had DDO briefly a while back. Played it long enough to unlock a thingydoodah or two but didn't get far (solo is boring!).

Though saturday is my day for catching up on sleep, mornings don't exist for me on weekends.

Jolima
23-09-2011, 10:04 PM
10am to 12pm is a pretty long session, no? On the other hand it seems as if the Dungeons could take a while to do, so no idea how much of a time investment this could be.
Am I still confusing people? 10am to 12noon? Is that better? Stupid 12 hour system.

President Weasel
23-09-2011, 10:36 PM
We should also try to get our hands on a Mumble server if anyone can help out with that.

We HAVE a mumble server!
Praise the mighty name of Nullkigan.
Any user on the RPS mumbles can make a channel, but Nullks has set up a DDO channel for us. The mumble deets can be found in the Arma thread - also there's a donate thread, but there's a decent amount of mumble time in the bank at the moment.

There's a thread about the mumbles here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?533-Unofficial-Community-Mumble-server

Nullkigan
23-09-2011, 10:43 PM
For ease of access: server.herosquad.org on default ports

Vexing Vision
23-09-2011, 10:55 PM
The integrated party-based voicechat in DDO works pretty good.

I strongly recommend not skipping the tutorial - the storyline around icy Korthos is rather nice. (And it's new to those of you who haven't played in the past two and a half years.)

President Weasel
23-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I had to do my tutorial in some bodged together tutorial instance on Tutorial Island. I am intrigued by all this new fangled stuff they have introduced since 2007.

Also I strongly recommend getting mumble (which is free) and getting it set up and connecting to the RPS community mumble server (which will probably take you about 6 minutes to sort out).

DDO has in game voice. Mumble is better though.

LowKey
23-09-2011, 11:21 PM
I am down like several clowns for a game sunday morn, I'll be up for the rugby so forgive me if I am erratically tired - the mumble server is great and a good idea, I am happy to go healy cleric as I see we dont have one so long as no one shouts at me for being too newb (I did play bard on LOTRO but its been a while), I am excited!

torgen
23-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Actually, the tutorial was completely redone for the move to F2P. It's now a set of missions and a really neat storyline about a frost dragon that you can do solo or in groups. When it was put in, you got awarded Turbine store points for completing the missions on Elite (which isn't hard with two or three people.) I'm fairly sure this is still the case. Doing each dungeon on solo/normal/hard/elite was a good way to get the first couple levels under your belt, and give you practice with the combat system and the game.

Has a server been decided?

EDIT: and DDO has ingame voice comms, btw.

Harlander
23-09-2011, 11:48 PM
The opening bit of the tutorial - the bit in the cavey grotto - bugged out for me. There's this point where a guy goes on ahead and you're meant to catch up and talk to him. Except he'd gone so far ahead that he'd faded from all existence. Blaarrrgghhh....

As for servers, I thought Ghallanda was chosen

Jolima
23-09-2011, 11:58 PM
I got it installed and played through that first cave on Ghallanda. Is that the end of the tutorial so we can (should) play through the rest together? I'll poke around some more tomorrow and maybe restart with a new character as well.

elfbarf
24-09-2011, 12:11 AM
I tried out DDO sometime last year and got a berserker to ~13-14 and would be interested in trying out again. I imagine that I may have a bit of an issue with timing considering that I'm American (assuming something is scheduled in the morning) though my schedule is pretty free right now.

torgen
24-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Yeah, just checked and the first play session is 5am my time, on my wedding anniversary. Maybe we should make a "Filthy Colonials" adjunct?

Nullkigan
24-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Aren't the EU and US servers separated anyway? Or have they fixed that?

Harlander
24-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Eventually the quest reset and I could go through it properly. I think things start opening up into proper party-based quests immediately afterward

Screwie
24-09-2011, 01:27 AM
I got it installed and played through that first cave on Ghallanda. Is that the end of the tutorial so we can (should) play through the rest together? I'll poke around some more tomorrow and maybe restart with a new character as well.

Once you're through the cave and into Korthos' village, you've completed the tutorial.

President Weasel
24-09-2011, 01:34 AM
I have made a rogue character; I'll see you Sunday morning in Korthos village.

Berzee
24-09-2011, 02:17 AM
Yeah, just checked and the first play session is 5am my time, on my wedding anniversary. Maybe we should make a "Filthy Colonials" adjunct?

Dadgummit, I support this plan like a cowboy loves springtime.

Edit: P.S. Hoooeee!

P.P.S. I will not be a reliable groupsmate, but I will at least be chatty when I am on. =P

Edit Edit: I'll sign up after I make a character I think I'll like. =)

Nullkigan
24-09-2011, 02:32 AM
So this hates my copy of 64 bit windows 7 and complains about .net 1.1. Slipstreamed versions of .net (per google advice) STILL refuse to install and throw a 64 bit error message :(

torgen
24-09-2011, 05:08 AM
So this hates my copy of 64 bit windows 7 and complains about .net 1.1. Slipstreamed versions of .net (per google advice) STILL refuse to install and throw a 64 bit error message :(

Strange. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and no problems in the ten minutes I ran around the other day checking out what my old characters had in the bank.

Indefatigible Snoozer
24-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Ok, I have a dwarf cleric, and i've done the cave, so hopefully see you sunday morning for some biff

Heliocentric
24-09-2011, 11:53 AM
A hoard of clerics can do anything by virtue of not needing to memorise healing spells and still being decent fighters.

FUCK! the client uses pando media booster? Fricking malware

Harlander
24-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Just for the initial download, I think. But you can get a direct download off the same site the PMB-using one is found.

President Weasel
24-09-2011, 12:38 PM
plus you can uninstall pando from your control panel afterwards. Can and indeed should.

Shall we create a guild? how about DuRPS as a guild name?

Squiz
24-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Am I still confusing people? 10am to 12noon? Is that better? Stupid 12 hour system.Ach nein, I got confused! Actually, I could join you tomorrow morn' but it is too late for this now it seems. In that case I'll help out sometime in the future when people are missing out.

If anyone is interested, below are the differences between subscription models and F2P mode (taken from the DDO-wikipedia page):

Nullkigan
24-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Strange. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and no problems in the ten minutes I ran around the other day checking out what my old characters had in the bank.

Seems to be a known issue with no workaround for Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 :(

On the other hand, I last played in January (after not having played since the original beta) and found I remembered 90% of the quests anyway. I'll just go find some big fuzzy d20s instead.

Harlander
24-09-2011, 01:18 PM
how about DuRPS as a guild name?

No.

Also, you've got to pay (real money!) to get a guild charter to start a guild - and you can't buy a guild charter anyway.

Squiz
24-09-2011, 02:30 PM
So, I read up a bit about the rules and beginner stuff since it has been some time since I last played something D&D related. This might be useful for screening through: http://ddowiki.com/page/Fighting_in_groups

Apart from that it sucks a bit that you can't play Artificers if you haven't purchased the class. Then again, there are worse F2P models out there and it's not really that bad. Having in part watched TotalBiscuits DDO videos, I hope that it isn't required to plan your group down to the last skill point in order to be successful.

President Weasel
24-09-2011, 03:05 PM
No.

Also, you've got to pay (real money!) to get a guild charter to start a guild - and you can't buy a guild charter anyway.

I thought we could get turbine points by doing quests on elite or something, and use those to get a guild charter?
Are you saying that even if we had or bought the points, we still couldn't get a guild charter?

boots468
24-09-2011, 03:55 PM
I've signed up and got through to the village. It seems that the morning session tomorrow is fully booked (6), but there at least three more of us free then as well. Is it worth us having two sessions then, progressing through at a similar rate, to give us more options for future sessions?

Harlander
24-09-2011, 03:58 PM
When I tried to find out how much a guild charter costs, I got "this offer is not currently available" or something along those lines. Could be a bug or other transitory condition though

President Weasel
24-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Ah, the internet says you need to be outside the starting area before you can do it. I am not totally against the idea of giving Turbine a fiver to play the game and coincidentally getting enough points to buy a guild charter.

If we do make a guild, does anyone have a less stupid name suggestion?

DRPS
Rock, Paper, Swords (or Rock, Paper, Sorcery)
or, of course, Rock, Paper, Dragon

Harlander
24-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Rogue, Paladin, Sorceror (walk into a bar?)

torgen
24-09-2011, 06:00 PM
for the US crew, how about "RPS Colonials" or "Filthy Colonials"?

"Rock, Paper, Saughuin"? (sic)

Jolima
24-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I updated the first post in an attempt to capture all of the information spread through the thread.

To the three extras for the morning session: Do show up, we can always split up into two groups of 5+4 if no one else joins. (Would be hard if only one of you show up though, so there might be disappointment.)

Still not sure what to play as, but leaning to either Rogue or Bard. I'll go make a dwarven rogue and see if I like him I think.

Creating a guild sounds good if someone cares to. Don't know about names: "Rock, Paper, Dragon" and some variants like "Rock, Paper & Dragons" or "Dungeon, Sheet, Dragon" were the best I could come up with.

Squiz
24-09-2011, 07:31 PM
I've signed up and got through to the village. It seems that the morning session tomorrow is fully booked (6), but there at least three more of us free then as well. Is it worth us having two sessions then, progressing through at a similar rate, to give us more options for future sessions?Actually, that's a good idea me thinks. If we get 3+ people it should work out just fine. Count me in for... when do you want to start? 11am?

Edit:
I am not totally against the idea of giving Turbine a fiver to play the game and coincidentally getting enough points to buy a guild charter.From the DDO-wiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/Guild): "Premium and Free to Play accounts will need to purchase a Guild Charter from the DDO Store to be able to create a Guild. "

elfbarf
24-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Currently downloading....going to take quite a while, only getting ~500-550KBp/s for some reason, I normally download at 3-4mb/s

boots468
24-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Is using the mumble server obligatory? I've never used it before (and don't have a mic). I've never played a MMO before, and am not sure how much of a hindrance not being able to speak will be.

Also, thank you for taing the time to getting this group started and organising it all. Much appreciated!

boots468
24-09-2011, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=squirrelfanatic;40166]Actually, that's a good idea me thinks. If we get 3+ people it should work out just fine. Count me in for... when do you want to start? 11am?

11 ish sounds good to me! (who are these people with 10 am Sunday starts? Don't they have raging drink problems that require the early hours of Sundays to be written off to hangovers?!!!)

Squiz
24-09-2011, 07:48 PM
11 ish sounds good to me! (who are these people with 10 am Sunday starts? Don't they have raging drink problems that require the early hours of Sundays to be written off to hangovers?!!!)Totally! For the next occasions I would even be so bold as to suggest 12am.

duff
24-09-2011, 08:01 PM
12am is midnight? I'm all for a lie-ins but thats taking the piss. :p

President Weasel
24-09-2011, 08:04 PM
In order to avoid this recurring problem, please use "12 noon" and "midnight" instead.

Also, it's completely crazy for our Colonial cousins to contemplate creating a separate guild when they can just join the same RPS one as everyone else.

Squiz
24-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Wupps, shame on me then. We could also use sensible figures like 13 o'clock for 1pm (right?).

duff
24-09-2011, 08:13 PM
So which of us are meeting at 10am and which of us at 11am.

squirrelfanatic - yes, am is morning and pm is afternoon (quite literally). :p

Squiz
24-09-2011, 08:20 PM
I think Jolima & Co. are meeting at 10am and I've added another line for the 11am people.

Vexing Vision
24-09-2011, 10:18 PM
How Turbine points work:

With Turbine points, you can buy stuff like extra character slots, unlock special races and classes (note: Drow, Artificer, Favoured Soul can all be unlocked in-game - but it takes some work).

You can get Turbine points by either:

a) Paying for them

and / or

b) Earning Favour. You get two rewards for high favour. First, every 100 favour points, you get 25 Turbine points. Additionally, at regular intervals (I think it's 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000), you get bonus Turbine points if this is the character on your account on this server with the highest favour points.

Favour is earned by doing quests. Each quest has a base value of favour. Completing the quest on normal gives the base value x1 (for example, 2). Hard and Elite multiply this by 2 or 3 accordingly. However, only the highest completed difficulty level counts. So if you run a quest Elite for the first time, there's no point in running it on normal (apart from the Exp).

Does that make sense? When we started over on the US server, we got one account able to buy the Guildcharter roughly by the time we finished Korthos and the harbour starter quests.

Harlander
24-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Can you transfer turbine points to other people's characters?

Vexing Vision
24-09-2011, 10:45 PM
No. But for later guild-stuff (airships, etc), you can turn turbine points into astral gems (just like in Dominions!), with which you can contribute.

All the guild-stuff is also available for in-game currency too, but it takes a bit more work. Airships are neat.

Squiz
24-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Yeah, makes sense. This is also what I got from reading through the wiki page and it sends the message that you really shouldn't care about non-F2P stuff if you're planning to play casually. The prices are just way too high for earning them with through on-and-off play.

duff
24-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Anyone know how easy / hard it is to use the kensai class?

elfbarf
24-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Alright, finished reinstalling, just curious as to what we're doing for the NA group. Obviously we aren't grouping up at 10 AM BST tomorrow, just curious as to what the current plan is. Are we going to be on the same server or will there be latency issues (assuming we can even log onto that server)?

Personally I'm going somewhere tomorrow but will be available in the evening.

jealouspirate
25-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Alright, finished reinstalling, just curious as to what we're doing for the NA group. Obviously we aren't grouping up at 10 AM BST tomorrow, just curious as to what the current plan is. Are we going to be on the same server or will there be latency issues (assuming we can even log onto that server)?

Personally I'm going somewhere tomorrow but will be available in the evening.

Well, unless I`m mistaken then 10am BST is 3pm EST, so I suppose any North American player free in the afternoon could play with them.

elfbarf
25-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Well, unless I`m mistaken then 10am BST is 3pm EST, so I suppose any North American player free in the afternoon could play with them.

We're behind 5 hours, not ahead.
10 AM BST = 5 AM EST

jealouspirate
25-09-2011, 01:48 AM
We're behind 5 hours, not ahead.
10 AM BST = 5 AM EST

Oh, right. Now I feel silly. Well, there go my plans for tomorrow afternoon.

elfbarf
25-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Unfortunately my characters from when I played last year are on Thelanis, not that I could even play them due to all 3 being Warforged (unless I resubscribed/bought them which I don't plan to do for now).

Not sure of what I'm going to make on Ghallandra yet, doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to play with the European group due to them starting in the morning.

edit: Turns out I have 32 point builds and Favored Soul unlocked, may make one of those.

duff
25-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Think I will have to give the 10am group a miss this week, perhaps 10 on a Sunday was a tad ambitious! Will try to meet up with the 10pm group though if there is room.

LowKey
25-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Ill be honest lads, I was meant to play through the tutorial last night but ended up having a few wee too many beverages, the client is currently updating and ill speed through it so should still be in the town by 10am but ill let you know if it looks like i may be late

update: why dont they have the updates in the download!?

President Weasel
25-09-2011, 09:50 AM
I may be a tad late too as I have deceided to reroll my character :)

LowKey
25-09-2011, 09:52 AM
I am in town, chilling with the mayor

Squiz
25-09-2011, 10:13 AM
It seems that the fancy "Oh, we are up really early" guys have some problems getting their group together, eh? EH? ;) I propose that me and boot just log in at 11noon and see who is in town. We can go on from there since a mix of both groups should be enough for a 6-man group. Also, having trouble with mumble (can't connect, it's probably my router), so I'll just have to type.

boots468
25-09-2011, 10:38 AM
So, if Duff's not available this morning that leaves 8 today. From the spreadsheet :

2 rogues, 2 clerics, Paladin, Bard, Wizard and Fighter.

Have the 10 am group started yet?

Sarigs
25-09-2011, 11:58 AM
That was a good craic, nice meeting you peeps and looking forward to another session!

hexagonalbolts
25-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm just downloading it now, any other new players fancy joining me?

Squiz
25-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Boots (Facey), Weasel (Varney), Lowkey (Lowtine) and me (Bob Rock) had a nice 11noon session. Thanks again everybody!

We beat up some guys in skirts, Facey smashed some faces, Lowtine worked the healing (I think? Nobody died so I guess it was a success) and Varney exchanged some fashion tips and fancy suits with Bob Rock. Also: Jacoby Drexelhand reaks of fish and cthulhuoid Innsmouth-people are monsters on the dance floor.

Taken together, I was pleasantly surprised by this F2P experience.

boots468
25-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Yes, thanks everyone. It's a better game than I was expecting really, and can see it being pretty cool if we manage to get a fairly bg group of people going through the game at a similar speed. Our group today must have been questing for about an hour or so, and has just hit lv 2.

Weasel mentioned it would be better using mumble - does everyone agree with that/have any information how to set up mumble?

Sarigs
25-09-2011, 01:07 PM
It's a free voice chat program like Vent theres a link to the server info on the first post :-)

President Weasel
25-09-2011, 01:08 PM
check the front page of the thread for mumble information. The 10 oclock group used it today and it was definitely better than typing for the 11 oclockers :)

For the evening group - we've done all the quests in the village, we've got the quests that take place on the island, but we haven't done those yet. Get roughly to the same place, and we can group next time. (Or do a little more if you don't mind redoing some of them on hard next session)

Wolfenswan
25-09-2011, 01:17 PM
can't register an account for some reason. will try to find out why.

Edit:
Nevermind figured it out. I'm going to create a character later on.

duff
25-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Guys I could do with some advice, should I got melee or caster? I tried caster last night and because you don't click to target I find it a little unusual (how do you target someone on the other side of the room?), though I will probably get used to it. I liked the idea of making a fighter / cleric multiclass but alot of the people on the forums seem to think that is a stupid idea.

Regarding the evening group tonight it looks like we may only have three people?

Screwie
25-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Fighter 2/Cleric 18 is solid, very solid. And quite easy to run for a new player too (it was my first alt way back). The key is not to take both your Fighter levels early as that delays your advancement to the very important Cleric spells later (although 1 early level of Fighter is doable and opens up a lot of options).

This thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=279703) is awesome for fighter/cleric advise.

In any case, a caster Cleric is fine too. Sorcerers and Wizards are a bit trickier, because they are much more fragile and can't heal themselves (Warforged excepted).

I will be there for the evening session. If we're light on numbers, players from other sessions are welcome to come back and re-do the earlier missions (maybe on a higher difficulty) :)

President Weasel
25-09-2011, 02:59 PM
You can right click on a target, or you can hold down the right button and move your point of aim and it will select whichever baddie is in front of you. Some of the wizard spells are area of effect or cone shaped anyway. 3 people is plenty to do the quests on hard - even just you and screwie as a wizard and sorceror could do them, although I'd suggest a melee class, maybe a palolodin, if you're going to do the quests on hard (which you totally should, and you totally could, but I think it would be tricky with two casters)

duff
25-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks Screwie, I made a sorcerer last night and couldn't really get into it. Might reroll for tonight if I get chance.

@PW - ah I will try that. To be fair I was pretty tired when I fired it up.

EDIT: Oh and do rangers totally suck when they go for a ranged build? (Sorry, totally new to DDO)

Squiz
25-09-2011, 04:03 PM
I think Rangers do just fine with ranged combat. The official DDO forums should have some more info on that (see Screwie's link) and the DDO wiki (http://ddowiki.com/) is also a good point for quickly looking things up. Although I try not to read too much of that info since it gets me in the mood for powergaming. I'd rather play a slightly underpowered funny character then yet again a streamlined jerk with no soul. ;)

On a related note: I got mumble to cooperate! Hussa!

moondogjazz
25-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Sounds groovetastic, I haven't played D&D for a while but would like to tag along if that's ok.

Squiz
25-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Sounds groovetastic, I haven't played D&D for a while but would like to tag along if that's ok.Just enter your details into the sheet (see page 1 of this thread). I guess we'll handle grouping quite flexible depending on who is online at a given time. Although applicants for a certain time should have priority over people that are spontaneously showing up it shouldn't be much of a problem to split or rearrange groups if need be.

thegooseking
25-09-2011, 05:48 PM
I'd like to join in. I can probably do Mumble, but the only mic I have right now is on my wireless Xbox 360 controller, which complicates things a bit, given the controller's liability to switch itself off if you're not actually using it.

Although actually playing with the gamepad is not out of the question, I just tried it and did find it a little harder than mouse and keyboard.

Nullkigan
25-09-2011, 06:16 PM
I'd like to join in. I can probably do Mumble, but the only mic I have right now is on my wireless Xbox 360 controller, which complicates things a bit, given the controller's liability to switch itself off if you're not actually using it.

Although actually playing with the gamepad is not out of the question, I just tried it and did find it a little harder than mouse and keyboard.

The thing about VOIP software like mumble is that even just listening in can improve things vastly. Or so my experience with Arma indicates. It can be funny listening to someone panic, and it can be useful to hear them shout out a warning well before a typed one would reach you. Plus it adds a layer of intimacy to the whole affair, as you can hear (some) of the people you are playing with and realise "these are distinct people, who deserve respect, and aren't just oddly programmed bots who occasionally send me messages which I read in my own mental voice". Or maybe that last one is just me. If there is someone who is very annoying and refuses to use push to talk and therefore breathes into the mic, you can even quietely local mute them by right clicking on their name...

(I tend to prefer mumble because it has an overlay that tells me who is talking without causing most games to crash ala TS3. In-game voip is an acceptable substitute when I know the people I'm playing with, but it's not universal in either quality or support for basic functions like Push to Talk. Thank you, Space Marine.)

thegooseking
25-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Or maybe that last one is just me. If there is someone who is very annoying and refuses to use push to talk and therefore breathes into the mic, you can even quietely local mute them by right clicking on their name...

(I tend to prefer mumble because it has an overlay that tells me who is talking without causing most games to crash ala TS3. In-game voip is an acceptable substitute when I know the people I'm playing with, but it's not universal in either quality or support for basic functions like Push to Talk. Thank you, Space Marine.)

I'm not a fan of blaming things on consoles, but I think that one really is the consoles' fault. Push to Talk isn't really feasible on a console, when you need all your buttons for other stuff, and I guess there is that lazy mentality of, "If it's good enough for consoles, it's good enough for PC".

(That said, Xbox 360 headsets do have a convenient switch for switching your mic on and off... the problem is no-one ever uses it.)

elfbarf
25-09-2011, 07:00 PM

Gamepad isn't viable at all for harder content, you can't turn around fast enough/adjust your camera correctly. That and eventually you're going to have too many keybinds.

------------------------------------------------------------

Still haven't created my character yet, I've spent hours looking around on the DDO forums for a decent build, seems as if everything is either outdated or not intended for new players. Was originally planning on making a healer but it seems as if Update 11 screwed with the UI and there are tons of complaints about it on the forums.

Squiz
25-09-2011, 08:15 PM
I suggest you take it not too seriously. That is what I meant further up: Powergaming shouldn't be necessary, as long as you are with some other people that work together as a team.

Screwie
25-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Alrighty, this evening's session is just starting to meet.

(Room for more!)

Wolfenswan
25-09-2011, 09:16 PM
I created an elven ranger for the thursday session. Did first town quests together with harakka and nightwing.

Screwie
25-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Yes, thanks everyone. It's a better game than I was expecting really, and can see it being pretty cool if we manage to get a fairly bg group of people going through the game at a similar speed. Our group today must have been questing for about an hour or so, and has just hit lv 2.

Level 2, or Level 1, Rank 2? Just to clarify how far we should get.

LowKey
25-09-2011, 10:17 PM
I think most of the morning gang hit level 2

Screwie
25-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Cool, then we ended up at about the same spot.

Thanks to all who turned up for the evening.

Berzee
26-09-2011, 04:22 AM
I just hit level 3 soloing, since I couldn't join any groups. I figure you guys will all pass me up eventually, judging by how MMOs usually go for me ;) but maybe at some point I will run into you. The spreadsheet frightened and confused me, but I'll join the steam group =)

torgen
26-09-2011, 05:14 AM
I made a monk tonight (US time) and... I have no idea what I'm doing.

But I sure look good doing it! :D They've totally redone the "Heyton's Rest" quest. I've only done that once, and the Cannith Crystal one once, I'm at level 1 rank 2.

Screwie
26-09-2011, 09:35 AM
As it seems that some folks are already up to the level/quest benchmark laid down by the first group, but are eager to come back for more on Thursday *coughmetoocough* ...I hope its not too much trouble if we end up getting a little ahead of the group?

Squiz
26-09-2011, 09:45 AM
The main purpose I see in an even-leveled (heh) group is that no-one gets left behind in the story arc and needs to look for a group by himself. In addition, people can easily jump in and lend a hand if someone is not showing up. So if we could manage to stay at around the same level and game area, that should be just fine. Alternatively, we could create secondary characters that are free to "roam" the game and advance at their own pace.

moondogjazz
26-09-2011, 03:21 PM
I have rolled a rogue to go 1 rogue/1 fighter/18 ranger called Oberron Crane. What level did you guys get to in the last session so I know what level to get him to for Thursday?

Wolfenswan
26-09-2011, 03:52 PM
level 2 rank 1 to 3 maybe, just done with all the town quests and ready to head out for the island

Screwie
26-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Hey Moondog :)

Early level 2 had been reached by some, however several players on Thursday will be starting from the beginning, so you don't have to do anything other than get through the tutorial and into Korthos Village.

Quest-wise, the groups on Thursday might end up split between the new guys and the guys who want to move on to the island. We'll see how it works out.

Wolfenswan
26-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey Moondog :)

Several players on Thursday will be starting from the beginning, so you don't have to do anything other than get through the tutorial and into Korthos Village.

are they? i thought thursday was going to be "advanced" session.

Squiz
26-09-2011, 04:13 PM
I think most of the morning gang hit level 2

Cool, then we ended up at about the same spot.
Most are level 2, some may be level 3.

Screwie
26-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm just going by the spreadsheet. It looks like enough people are interested in the Thursday session that we'll have two teams anyway.

Thursday was originally planned to be a newbie session, apologies if you were led to believe otherwise.

Mainly I don't want to tread on Jolima's toes as he was kind enough to organise this thing and what he says, goes.

duff
26-09-2011, 05:42 PM
I might reroll and play a little on Thursday aswell.

Jolima
26-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Mainly I don't want to tread on Jolima's toes as he was kind enough to organise this thing and what he says, goes.

I'm trying to step away from much of a leadership role on this. I might try to gently correct the course if it seems to go awry, but I hope others will do the same. So plan out sessions as you wish.

I might show up on Thursday as well.

duff
26-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Maybe when we set up a session on the spreadsheet we should put what level range it's for? With some coordination we can make sure that there are several sessions each week so that nobody falls behind if they can't make a weekend or whatever.

boots468
26-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Maybe when we set up a session on the spreadsheet we should put what level range it's for? With some coordination we can make sure that there are several sessions each week so that nobody falls behind if they can't make a weekend or whatever.

That's a really good idea.

torgen
26-09-2011, 08:15 PM
It might be a good idea to set up standard play sessions for the "static" group that only plays together, and then folks can make a second character for times outside those sessions. Knowing that we meet at X and Y time every week allows folks to plan ahead.

Squiz
26-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Just realised that it is terrible game design to allow any player character's first name to exist only once in the game.

torgen
26-09-2011, 10:03 PM
yeah, took me over half an hour to get a name for my monk :P

Berzee
27-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Just realised that it is terrible game design to allow any player character's first name to exist only once in the game.

It's annoying to have to type a first AND a last name when you want to /tell someone, though. Especially if their name is Meliodalialathennara Cormorantalathar. Keeping first names unique makes communication quite a bit simpler, even if it does keep you searching for a good name for an hour. ;)

torgen
27-09-2011, 03:13 AM
I lucked into an elite Misery's Peak that was halfway done, so got delicious bonus xp and am now in Sunny Korthos, sitting at level 2.8. If anyone wants to run the Korthos town quests or hard or elite, or needs help finding the 3 rares and 12 exploration sites in the wilderness, gimme a shout. (deafguy on Steam.) Not going over to Stormreach until we're all ready.

Squiz
27-09-2011, 08:14 AM
It's annoying to have to type a first AND a last name when you want to /tell someone, though. Especially if their name is Meliodalialathennara Cormorantalathar. Keeping first names unique makes communication quite a bit simpler, even if it does keep you searching for a good name for an hour. ;)
It's not that big of an issue though and has been dealt with in handy ways by other games (don't know if all of the possibilities are available in DDO). For example, in Guild Wars you could just double-click any name in the chat history to send a message. Then there is the friendslist which allows for easy (temporary) storage of names, even account wide (GW doesn't require you to wait for a confirmation from the other guy in order to add him). And finally, there is copy & paste. ;)

Harlander
27-09-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm pretty sure first names are unique per-server in DDO. I certainly ran into that trying to name my character after a famous alchemist or a cartoon evil vizier.

Screwie
27-09-2011, 11:07 AM
It's not that big of an issue though and has been dealt with in handy ways by other games (don't know if all of the possibilities are available in DDO). For example, in Guild Wars you could just double-click any name in the chat history to send a message. Then there is the friendslist which allows for easy (temporary) storage of names, even account wide (GW doesn't require you to wait for a confirmation from the other guy in order to add him). And finally, there is copy & paste. ;)

In DDO you can right-click on the name in the chat channel to open up several options including sending a tell. You can also type "/r <msg>" to send a reply to the last person who sent you a tell instead of having to type their first name out.

Squiz
27-09-2011, 12:07 PM
In DDO you can right-click on the name in the chat channel to open up several options including sending a tell. You can also type "/r <msg>" to send a reply to the last person who sent you a tell instead of having to type their first name out.

Nice to know. You can also use the 'up'-key to flip through the history of your sent messages.

torgen
28-09-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm a level 3 monk outside the Leaky Dinghy, and have gathered the local quests. However, I haven't done the Korthos wilderness quests on Elite yet, so am more than happy to cross back over and help. Doing all the quests on Elite gives the most favor, and I've already earned 50 Turbine Points to spend in the store with the three quests in Korthos village I've done on Elite.

One thing to note that I ran into this afternoon: people who have crossed to Stormreach then come back to Korthos cannot group with people who have not gone to Stormreach yet.

Vexing Vision
28-09-2011, 09:05 AM
One thing to note that I ran into this afternoon: people who have crossed to Stormreach then come back to Korthos cannot group with people who have not gone to Stormreach yet.

The Korthos tutorial is a complete quest chain. You already know you got to do something about the White Dragon responsbile for wrecking your ship when you first arrive in Korthos.

You can revisit Korthos after you have taken care of the Dragon, but it's basically a new instance.

Experienced players are allowed to "skip" the tutorial, which places them in Korthos right after the Dragon questchain, which means they can team up with people going back to Korthos. Is that making any sense?

Speaking of which, my level 5 rogue hasn't done any Korthos quests on elite yet, if someone wants to have me along. There'll be a minor impact on exp though, because I exceed the ideal level of the quest (which is 1 + 1 (for hard) + 1 (for elite) = 3).

snortmort
28-09-2011, 01:14 PM
ooh played this very briefly years ago, and then again (briefly) when it first went f2p, but lack of decent groupage killed it both times. I shall give it another whirl! ( as soon as servers come back up)

boots468
28-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Do we have a plan for tomorrow night's adventuring? Looks like 11 people are wanting to play then, so we can get two good sized groups going, which is nice.

Seems that some people have left/want to leave the starting island - does anyone who's played before know if this is a good idea yet/will lock us out of any worthwhile quests?

Vexing Vision
28-09-2011, 02:02 PM
You're never locked out of any quest. (Unless it gets patched out. This hasn't happened in four years.)

But definitely see if you can complete snowy Korthos storyline first. It's quite an impressive low-level climax that works better when done in order.

Screwie
28-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Well, tomorrow there will be a team for those who have yet to do the Village quests which I'm happy to help usher about (if there's space for me). If we finish the Village we'll probably head out into the Island.

The other team(s) are pretty much free to make their own plans.

President Weasel
28-09-2011, 02:39 PM
also GET MUMBLE INSTALLED, even if it is just to listen to. It's really not difficult, and typing for the voice-chat-challenged is annoying.

Squiz
28-09-2011, 03:09 PM
also GET MUMBLE INSTALLED, even if it is just to listen to. It's really not difficult, and typing for the voice-chat-challenged is annoying.I can only speak for myself, but my problems with Mumble have dissipated after I stopped using the 'downward compatible' mode (this is on Win7, 64bit) which I previously never had problems with. Tested joining the server and it works like a charm.

Concerning the progression of our group(s): I am happy to help out with redoing the town quests. I might join with another character though, as I found my first dude to be a bit messed up in an aesthetic sense ( = he was pretty darn ugly).

Vexing Vision
28-09-2011, 03:23 PM
also GET MUMBLE INSTALLED, even if it is just to listen to. It's really not difficult, and typing for the voice-chat-challenged is annoying.

What exactly is the issue with using the in-game voice system?

Harlander
28-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I couldn't seem to get it to work. Admittedly, I was already using Mumble so I didn't try very hard

Squiz
28-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Just a small heads-up: The DDO-wiki seems to have some virus-related troubles, a visit is not recommended at this point.

thegooseking
28-09-2011, 04:24 PM
I tried using Mumble last time, but it seems I had to remind Mumble about my Xbox 360 controller every time it switched itself on and I switched it on again.

Now I've bought a proper headset that won't switch itself off, so I should be good.

President Weasel
28-09-2011, 06:30 PM
The in game chat is not as good as mumble; for starters it just works for groups so is not very useful when trying to discuss with the 7 people who turn up how we're going to divide up the players.

What exactly is the issue with using mumble? It's free software and it works.

torgen
28-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Just a small heads-up: The DDO-wiki seems to have some virus-related troubles, a visit is not recommended at this point.

Oh dear, I spent all night last night reading it. I have Adblock installed though, so hopefully am unscathed.

boots468
28-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Ok then, I've bought a headset and have installed mumble. Clicking on the link in the first post gives me a 'Choose an application' drop down menu. What do I select here? I've tried finding the Dungeons & Dragons Online executable as this is what i'll be using mumble in, but it didn't seem to accept it.

Thanks for your help,

Squiz
28-09-2011, 09:18 PM
As far as I know, you'd need to choose Mumble as the executable, as the link contains the information for the server and all that (I think). Alternatively, you can use these (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?533-Unofficial-Community-Mumble-server) data to connect to the server if you enter them in Mumble itself.

Jolima
28-09-2011, 09:56 PM
I think squirellfanatic has it right, I added a link to that thread in the first post.

boots468
28-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Ah yes, got it working now. Cheers!

Kelron
28-09-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm waiting for Turbine to email me a key so I can play DDO with my existing account. Apparently this can't be done automatically, and I don't feel like remembering more logins.

Are some of you still low level or will I have to catch up by myself?

Windward
28-09-2011, 11:35 PM
I like the sound of taking an MMO slowly and passionately... Might join the group on Thursday if I download the client overnight

Kodeen
29-09-2011, 12:22 AM
So is everyone involved in the organized groups from the UK? I'm starting to get interested in the game and was going to just now download it, and wanted to see how the ocean divide has been affecting things.

On another note, is it worth it to buy something just to become a "premium" member? Looking at the table on Wikipedia, it seems most of the benefits over the free player are server related, none really for the gameplay. If it is worth it, what items are worth looking at?

torgen
29-09-2011, 01:24 AM
So is everyone involved in the organized groups from the UK? I'm starting to get interested in the game and was going to just now download it, and wanted to see how the ocean divide has been affecting things.

On another note, is it worth it to buy something just to become a "premium" member? Looking at the table on Wikipedia, it seems most of the benefits over the free player are server related, none really for the gameplay. If it is worth it, what items are worth looking at?

I'm in Florida, and we have at least one more Colonial. Premium gets 4 characters per server, and multiple auction house slots instead of just one (I filled 4, no idea what the limit is.) I'd watch for sales and nab stuff then. There used to be a "bang for your buck" adventure module review thread for F2P people on the forum. I bet it's still there. From experience, Tangleroot Gorge is great fun, and I also have Delara's Tomb which I found is impossible to solo the second part (need to throw two switches at once) but is challenging and has Gary Gygax as the narrator.

President Weasel
29-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Did that one back when DDO was just starting out; Gygax had the nerdiest game master voice and sounded pretty much exactly how you'd expect a Gary Gygax to sound.

For Thursday night looks like we probably have three groups of people - I'd suggest we first split up into "mumblers" and "typists" in case there's a group's worth of non talkers. After that, I'd happily run all the Korthos village quests on elite for those who haven't done them yet (the XP ought to catch any newer players right up to us) and then we can do the out and about on Korthos ones - if there's one group playing catch up and one group doing the Korthos Island quests, I'd suggest we reshuffle them once the newer group has done the village and the other group has done misery peak - that way all the groups will then be able to do the Korthos Island quests on Hard.

torgen
29-09-2011, 03:57 AM
Severe hearing loss here, so I'm in the "typist" group. I have done all but two quests in Korthos on elite, but I crossed over to Stormreach and came back. This means I can only group with those who have done the same in Korthos.

Harlander
29-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Any ideas when the next scheduled slot could be?

Vexing Vision
29-09-2011, 08:26 AM
The new modules are a great blast. When you get near level 5ish, I'd recommend having a look at (in order of personally perceived fun):
Phiarlan Carnival (which has you trying to convince a Giant to become an actor, infiltrate a decadent Phiarlan houseparty and clear up a demonic circus show)
Three Barrel's Cove (a pirate infested island with several pirate-related quests, one featuring one of the most fun (optional) puzzles)
Caverns of Shan To Khor (nice quest chain, good exp and chance to get the fiercely desired "Ring of Feathers")
Tangleroot Gorge (which has a truly beautiful outside area, but the quest chain itself gets very repetitive very fast. Great exp and favour though)

Stay clear of Necropolis 1 and the Dryden chain. They're horribly boring.

Squiz
29-09-2011, 09:03 AM
As I said earlier, I've made a new character (Wizard, but can do with Bard as well if we've got too many pure Spellcasters) and would join any of the Mumble groups. Leveled up to Level 2 (Rank 8?) but didn't leave Korthos yet, although I think I could do that anytime, already did some of the Korthos wilderness stuff since I didn't get enough XP from doing the village quests on normal difficulty.

Windward
29-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Hokay, I'm in! God knows what class, I will look tonight. I'm a talky and a nube so I'm very happy to jump into team Weasel if you'll have me, and don't hate me for calling it team Weasel.

Screwie
29-09-2011, 09:34 AM
The new modules are a great blast. When you get near level 5ish, I'd recommend having a look at (in order of personally perceived fun):
Phiarlan Carnival (which has you trying to convince a Giant to become an actor, infiltrate a decadent Phiarlan houseparty and clear up a demonic circus show)
Three Barrel's Cove (a pirate infested island with several pirate-related quests, one featuring one of the most fun (optional) puzzles)
Caverns of Shan To Khor (nice quest chain, good exp and chance to get the fiercely desired "Ring of Feathers")
Tangleroot Gorge (which has a truly beautiful outside area, but the quest chain itself gets very repetitive very fast. Great exp and favour though)

Stay clear of Necropolis 1 and the Dryden chain. They're horribly boring.

Eh, the Catacombs (the Dryden chain) has an interesting story, is very solo-able and comes with some nice anti-undead loot at the end of it. Your mileage may vary though - rogues will find the 99% undead foes hard going while clerics can run this arc in their sleep. The amount of backtracking can annoy though, and makes it less team-friendly. I would say it is low priority but still decent.

Conversely, Shan-to-Kor is a great arc for trap-solving rogues and has a nice variety of foes in it. Three Barrels Cove is also good fun. I've not tried the Phiarlan Carnival yet, but I always hear good things about it.

If you were to buy any content though, you really should get Delera's Tomb first. It is the first Gygax-narrated one and comes with an item of loot that gives a permanent 5% bonus to XP gain. It's a lvl 4-7 quest chain and absolutely worthwhile.

Sarigs
29-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Are people up for another session Sunday morning? I'm getting a bit confused by who's where and don't want to be following behind too much!

moondogjazz
29-09-2011, 01:04 PM
My character is level 2.7 and done all the quests in Korthos village and is now poised for the finale quest on Korthos (Ice Dragon) before leaving the island. I have ordered a headset so will, for the next week, be a typer rather than a mumbler.

moondogjazz
29-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Are people up for another session Sunday morning? I'm getting a bit confused by who's where and don't want to be following behind too much!

I would be available for a Sunday morning session as well.

Squiz
29-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I would be available for a Sunday morning session as well.Me probably as well, depending on workload.

thegooseking
29-09-2011, 01:29 PM

I'd be up for a weekend session, though I'm not really a morning person. Let's see what happens.

Regarding the other thing, can I suggest adding a row to the spreadsheet for current level and encouraging people to keep that updated? Assuming people remember to update it, then we'll know who's ahead and who's behind.

Screwie
29-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Good idea gooseking - I just went ahead and added that to the sheet.

I also added a Sunday AM slot as there's interest - not that I can make that time myself. Sarigs, feel free to change the timeslot if you had something else in mind.

Kodeen
29-09-2011, 04:41 PM
So I started this last night, created a paladin elf. I am in fact so proud of my creation that I refused to put on a helmet that I got, even though helmets are good.

I'd be up for a round, Sunday morning probably wouldn't be good for me because it would be 4am here.

President Weasel
29-09-2011, 04:48 PM

Post it on the spreadsheet and see! I for one would be up for it, and I reckon we'd get a good crowd.

elfbarf
29-09-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm in Florida, and we have at least one more Colonial. Premium gets 4 characters per server, and multiple auction house slots instead of just one (I filled 4, no idea what the limit is.) I'd watch for sales and nab stuff then. There used to be a "bang for your buck" adventure module review thread for F2P people on the forum. I bet it's still there. From experience, Tangleroot Gorge is great fun, and I also have Delara's Tomb which I found is impossible to solo the second part (need to throw two switches at once) but is challenging and has Gary Gygax as the narrator.

I'm a colonial as well and will be here for tonight's group but unfortunately I'm going out of town for 10 days tomorrow morning, so I'm sure I'll be behind by the time I return. I know I'm a bit ahead as-is (spent some time helping people catch up) but I'll probably be playing for quite a while afterwards to give myself a bit of a lead.

Also, the adventure pack thread can be found here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=287854). Seems as if it may be a bit outdated so it may be missing some newer content.

The main one you need to purchase is Delera's Tomb, it offers some very good equipment including Voice of the Master which you'll use until Level 20 (as it offers an XP buff).

Sarigs
29-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I also added a Sunday AM slot as there's interest - not that I can make that time myself. Sarigs, feel free to change the timeslot if you had something else in mind.

Ta muchely Screwie, time looks grand tbh same as last week, is nice to have a regularish slot :-)

Squiz
29-09-2011, 05:32 PM
So I started this last night, created a paladin elf. I am in fact so proud of my creation that I refused to put on a helmet that I got, even though helmets are good.

I'd be up for a round, Sunday morning probably wouldn't be good for me because it would be 4am here.You can wear your helm and choose to not show it by typing '/showhelm off' (don't type the '').

Edit: Actually, it is '/showhelmet off'

Kodeen
29-09-2011, 05:44 PM
You can wear your helm and choose to not show it by typing '/showhelm off' (don't type the '').

Awesome, thanks!

torgen
29-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I'd like to suggest a regular Sunday pm (Brit time) session, for those who can't make the morning session. Is someone setting popup notices in the Steam group for the play sessions to remind folks?

harakka
29-09-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm so tired I'm nodding off as I'm typing this, which means my slot in tonight's game is free for taking. Have fun.

elfbarf
29-09-2011, 11:42 PM
I had some leftover turbine points from when I played last year, just created the guild "Rock Paper Shortbow", will be handing out officer/invite privledges to everyone.

torgen
30-09-2011, 04:12 AM
on DDO front page:
<hr style="color:#3a3a3a; background-color:#3a3a3a" size="1">
"Celebrate with a 20% bonus to all adventure XP from September 30th to October 6th."

elfbarf
30-09-2011, 04:18 AM
on DDO front page:
"Celebrate with a 20% bonus to all adventure XP from September 30th to October 6th."

...really? I'm leaving in a few hours, not going to be back until the 9th.

Squiz
30-09-2011, 06:59 AM
on DDO front page:
"Celebrate with a 20% bonus to all adventure XP from September 30th to October 6th."Sounds nice but since we're all going through the content together (mostly) and not rushing through it all, this probably won't have such a big of an impact on our levels.

Screwie
30-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Last night was a blast, we had two teams going for much of the night and then amalgamated them as people left. When I logged off I was level 3 and ready to do Misery's Peak, although some went a bit further.

Thanks to everyone who showed up, especially President Weasel, Wolfenswan etc for corralling the teams over Mumble.

President Weasel
30-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Tunrs out that when you complete Misery's Peak the first time you're in "sunny side Korthos" from then on. So anyone who has been through that quest won't be able to group with anyone who is just starting out in the village. I think we got absolutely everybody through the village quests on elite last night though; if there is anyone who hasn't started out a character yet you can always go through those quests on normal, and we can come back and do them elite on "sunny side" later if you're desperate for the favour.

Screwie
30-09-2011, 09:41 AM
I figured that would happen. :)

I'm thinking of leading a short session on Sunday evening, expressly to get through Misery's Peak for any who haven't done it yet.

(I've added it to the spreadsheet too)

Squiz
30-09-2011, 09:57 AM
First of all: Thanks to elfbarf for creating a guild! Much appreciated.

Next, if I understand it correctly, everybody has progressed through the dragon-quest chain and on to the "sunny" side now? In that case I will go through the last quest (the one with the actual dragon) in Screwie's group with my bard on Sunday evening.

Finally, I am still undecided which character I want to stick with. I tend to go with the Wizard, as it is a bit more fun to play than the bard. But if we're overstocking Spellcasters I could stick to her instead.

LowKey
30-09-2011, 10:19 AM
I have not done not the final dragon quest stuff, I only got to do a couple of the outside town quests last night

Squiz
30-09-2011, 10:21 AM
I have not done not the final dragon quest stuff, I only got to do a couple of the outside town quests last nightThen join us on Sunday to make that right! :)

Sarigs
30-09-2011, 01:03 PM
I've only had the first Sunday session in so far, done all the ones in Korthos but not the ones in the wilderness yet

President Weasel
30-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Anyone who has done Misery's Peak is now in the "Sunny Side" continuity - it's quite easy to tell which side you're on, by checking if it's snowing in Korthos Village or not. No snow in Korthos village means you can't group with new players. Snowing in Korthos village? Then you can't group with those of us who have completed Misery's Peak.

It's still possible for anyone to do the village quests, and the outside quests, including Misery's Peak - but we can't group the "sunny" and "snowy" side players together.

I would suggest that on Sunday evening you go through the village quests on normal with anyone who hasn't done them yet, then go through the countryside quests on normal, then Misery's Peak - then you can do them again later on elite with the players who have already done Misery. Make sense?

Squiz
30-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes, makes sense. Doing all the quests takes a while though (I would say a bit over 2 hours), so maybe we could leave out one or two of the countryside quests and do Misery's Peak at early level 2. I did it solo on my Wizard in company of the Babarian mercenary, so a group of players should have next to no problems.

Vexing Vision
30-09-2011, 01:38 PM
You can also, at any time on the snowy side, talk to the first mate at the dock to skip the tutorial and return later to sunny Korthos. But the quest and the "ooooh I made it stop snowing"-feel was pretty awesome, and I definitely recommend doing Misery's Peak in order.

boots468
30-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Are any of the Sunday morning players wanting to do Misery's Peak from the snowy side? It seems like there'll be a few people doing it in the evening, but I can't make that session.

No worries if not, I should be able to solo it on easy, or group up with some randoms for more xp on a higher difficulty.

groovychainsaw
30-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Hey chaps, I had a bit of a go today and might like to join you :). I'm through to the Korthos wilderness and I'll be looking to do some questing Sunday morning. I got to lvl2 and set up a tanky fighter to help out all our rogues and spellcasters ;)

Tobien
30-09-2011, 09:05 PM
This looks like it could be rather fun, tried it out earlier today and may join you all in the fun. I need to pull my finger out though and try to get up a lvl or two though. Made a dwarven barbarian :)

President Weasel
01-10-2011, 12:36 AM
If you newer types get together on Sunday morning you should be able to blast through all the village quests and the Korthos wilderness quests and Misery on normal in an hour or so, then we can do some Stormreach quests on elite and you'll be caught up in no time.

Kelron
01-10-2011, 01:21 AM
If you newer types get together on Sunday morning you should be able to blast through all the village quests and the Korthos wilderness quests and Misery on normal in an hour or so, then we can do some Stormreach quests on elite and you'll be caught up in no time.

I have to work all weekend :(

I made a character this evening and spent a couple of hours doing quests in the village. Hopefully I can catch up soon enough, solo doesn't seem to be a problem for a cleric.

torgen
01-10-2011, 03:56 AM
I messed around today and leveled the guild to level 5, so we can now use in-game mail to invite people to the guild (no need for both officer and applicant to be online at the same time!)

torgen
01-10-2011, 04:56 AM
Finally found the link to the guild page: http://my.ddo.com/guild-ghallanda-rock_paper_shortbow/

It has an event calendar built in, should we wish to use it. Anyone needing an invite to the guild, reply here with character name and I'll send you one.

Squiz
01-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Woah, you need to level a guild in order to unlock such basic features? Anyways, please invite Myrri Goodfella and Weckna Wonderbottom (those are my two characters on different accounts).

boots468
01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Woah, you need to level a guild in order to unlock such basic features? Anyways, please invite Myrri Goodfella and Weckna Wonderbottom (those are my two characters on different accounts).

Yes it does seem like an odd method of doing things. Their UI is nearly as obtuse as Cyanide's in Blood Bowl! Please can Facey Facey have an invite too? (And the whole first-names-have-to-be-unique thing is pretty ridiculous.)

Jolima
01-10-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm also a snowy side player since I couldn't join the Thursday session. I hope to start from the wilderness quests on Sunday morning, and it seems there are a few others wanting the same. I noted it down on the spreadsheet, and if others care to do the same it might speed up the splitting into groups on Sunday.

President Weasel
01-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes it does seem like an odd method of doing things. Their UI is nearly as obtuse as Cyanide's in Blood Bowl! Please can Facey Facey have an invite too? (And the whole first-names-have-to-be-unique thing is pretty ridiculous.)

Send a /tell to Varney Weasel in game and I will set you up with an invite.

I think the guild levelling thing is designed to make you want to play more. Seems like a reasonable design choice.

torgen
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
The next level gets us discount clerical reagents, then discount arcane reagents, and then really gets fancy. Getting wife ready for the airport, will be on later today and will send invite mails if they haven't been sent.

Wolfenswan
01-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I've been a bit active in Stormreach and did the 4 solo quests i could find and collected all the party quests i came across for easier sharing.

The Mumble channel seems to be gone for some reason.

Squiz
01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I think it is listed under EXTREME GEEK ZONE channels.

Kelron
01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I'd like a guild invite for "Vernun Dead" please.

Nullkigan
01-10-2011, 06:53 PM
I've been a bit active in Stormreach and did the 4 solo quests i could find and collected all the party quests i came across for easier sharing.

The Mumble channel seems to be gone for some reason.

Someone is being naughty and deleting channels. I will find them and make them pay.

torgen
01-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Guild invite emails sent to Myrri, Weckna, Facey, and Vernun. I can open the Leaky Dinghy quests and Kobold's New Ringleader on elite (KNR is MURDER on elite at level 3, be warned)

Sarigs
01-10-2011, 11:08 PM
It has an event calendar built in, should we wish to use it. Anyone needing an invite to the guild, reply here with character name and I'll send you one.

Invite for Sarigs please!

President Weasel
02-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Ive done the waterworks quests on elite, which I *think* means I can open them on elite. I haven't done them on hard though, not sure if you need all the difficulties in order to open elite.

boots468
02-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Guild invite emails sent to Myrri, Weckna, Facey, and Vernun. I can open the Leaky Dinghy quests and Kobold's New Ringleader on elite (KNR is MURDER on elite at level 3, be warned)

Gah, I am really really not understanding very basic stuff in this game. How do I accept a guild invite e-mail? There's no pop-ups or anything, and I cannot see an in-game e-mail inbox or even a guild application option tab thing. (I'm Facey in-game).

Kelron
02-10-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm finding this kind of dull, honestly. I know MMOs are always better when you're doing proper group quests, but I was hoping the fundamental gameplay would differ from the standard MMO template more. "Tough" battles seem to involve holding down the mouse button while I chip away at large health bars, with spells being optional tools to speed up the process a little.

I suspect it might just be a case of a super-shallow learning curve, but does the game offer something significantly different to LOTRO or WoW if I persevere?

torgen
02-10-2011, 02:38 AM
Gah, I am really really not understanding very basic stuff in this game. How do I accept a guild invite e-mail? There's no pop-ups or anything, and I cannot see an in-game e-mail inbox or even a guild application option tab thing. (I'm Facey in-game).

You need to find a mailbox in game, they have pagoda-like roofs and float, with runes streaming up over them. The "you have mail" notification is a teeny tiny envelope icon on the lower right of the "examination window" in the lower right of your screen.

torgen
02-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Invite for Sarigs please!

Invite sent!

boots468
02-10-2011, 08:23 AM
You need to find a mailbox in game, they have pagoda-like roofs and float, with runes streaming up over them. The "you have mail" notification is a teeny tiny envelope icon on the lower right of the "examination window" in the lower right of your screen.

Ah, OK, cheers. The online wiki says there aren't any mailboxes in Korthos - guess I'll have to wait until I cross to Stormreach. Thanks for your help though!

moondogjazz
02-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Invite for to the guild Oberron Crane please :)

Squiz
02-10-2011, 09:37 AM
I won't make it for the 10am session today, but I'll try to stop tonight.

Tobien
02-10-2011, 01:01 PM
So how many people do we still have snowy side?

Wolfenswan
02-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I created a new row "progress" on the spreadsheet.

duff
02-10-2011, 03:16 PM
The 10am start has defeated me for the second week in a row. It's just so much nicer inside the bed.

torgen
02-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Once people get across to the Harbor in Stormreach, you all really should try the Crystal Cove holiday thing. I'd been nothing but confused from reading the compendium and the wiki, but here's some great practical tips: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=342068 (do check the wiki to learn which mobs in the island instance to keep away from. Basically, if you're under level 5, only swing at kobolds.)

The actual "protect the kobold miners" part isn't really as difficult as they let on, and the voice acting is a hoot. One example: the hobgoblin pirates appear and start attacking the kobold miners and one runs in circles screaming "Not in the face! Not in the face!"

thegooseking
02-10-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm feeling kind of sick, so I'm going to have to sit tonight out. I was looking forward to it, as well :(

snortmort
02-10-2011, 08:59 PM
apologies need to bail the 9pm. I need to sit in a bath of ice in a vain attempt to cool down, feel rough as hell.

Screwie
03-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Well I couldn't make it in the end either, as my computer decided it needed to re-download the last patch. I didn't want to keep the others waiting a whole hour, so I bowed out.

I'll now be looking to run a snowy-side Misery Peak on Thursday night, plus a few quests after (it's on the spreadsheet already).

ntw
03-10-2011, 10:08 AM
The 10am start has defeated me for the second week in a row. It's just so much nicer inside the bed.

Laptop = win.

Also, tempted to chip in and join this on a fairly casual basis...

Squiz
03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Great success. Three more people through Misery's Peak (we're getting there eventually...) on Normal, everyone was level 2 at the end. I don't know if it makes much sense to run through all the missions again on Elite during the next scheduled session. Given that the first steps took quite some time to get trough we might want to consider pushing onwards before hitting level 3.

Screwie, you have been missed. :(

Harlander
03-10-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm still snowside, for one

President Weasel
03-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Laptop = win.

Also, tempted to chip in and join this on a fairly casual basis...

that is the only basis we have.

Squiz
04-10-2011, 01:10 PM
We are so casual it's almost hardcore.

Screwie
04-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I am looking forward to Thursday. Kinda looking forward in general, to hitting Stormreach. I've never done the Waterworks in a team larger than 2 (not counting hirelings) before :)

Vexing Vision
04-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Waterworks is one of those quests I just can't get enough of. The third one where you find yourself up on a platform, shooting down at luckless kobolds? That's the first time I fell in love with DDO's 3d'ness and the ability to actually just shoot at things on different layers without them turning invincible like in every other bloody game.

I kept recreating new characters just to get my daily Waterworks run, back in the days. *sighs happily*

/Edit: Apart from part 4. Part 4 is horrible and needs to die, die, die. What a disappointing finish to a great set-piece series of low-level quests.

Screwie
04-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Yeah, Waterworks is (mostly) really good fun and I often end up running it a few times on each alt.

Great loot too! *crosses fingers for some Black Widow Bracers* :)

moondogjazz
04-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I may pop in on Thursday for some Waterworks fun. I ran it at the weekend on normal (so we can do it on hard if you prefer) and got some dissapointing loot so up for another go.

torgen
06-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Anyone for Crystal Cove tonight? 7pm Imperial Time would be 2pm my time, and since I work from home I can make it. Also, I have a huge rush job landing in my lap tomorrow that will consume the next 3 weeks of my life, so this may be the last unfettered play session for me for a while.

EDIT: Crystal Cove ends for the year on the 9th!

The stuff you can build into weapons, armor and hats is amazing, and I need a crap ton of gems and doubloons to bet my Brawling Gloves and hat upgraded completely. The level tiers for the items are 4, 8, 12 and 16 I believe. I've been making solo runs at one less than my level, and never fail to complete the goal of 100 shards and get some for myself, but you have to kill baddies to get gems which is hard to do alone while running torches and protecting kobolds. Everyone in the group gets a drop when the person who kills a baddie gets one, so it's advantageous to everyone to get a group that can scour the dungeon.

So, anyone level 4 and up that wants to come, please reply here and we'll set roles and I'll post some tips on running this. I can run the torches, or perhaps we can have a lower level who has done it before or has watched this video do it:
http://www.ddmsrealm.com/blog/index.php/2011/10/master-torches-in-the-crystal-cove-special-event

That way I can run interference on the orange and red named mobs that crash the party.

torgen
06-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Here is very clear explanations of the crafting:

Crystal Cove Crafting: http://www.ddmsrealm.com/blog/index.php/2011/02/dungeons-and-dragons-online-5th-anniversary-crafting-and-recipes

Crystal Cove Hat Crafting: http://www.ddmsrealm.com/blog/index.php/2011/02/pimp-your-pirate-hats-for-dungeons-and-dragons-online-5th-anniversary-live-event

President Weasel
06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I have been doing this recently as I want the smallblade and to get +3 dex and +5 diable device on my fancy pirate hat.
It's actually quite easy to find a group - any time I post one up in the looking for group thing it fills up quickly. Can't do it at 7 tonight though; it's Blood Bowl night for me.

Screwie
06-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Well I am still on my way home from work, so I may be a few minutes late for the session tonight.

EDIT: Finally. I'm online and meeting folks in (snowy) Korthos right now.

thegooseking
06-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Well, crap. I fell asleep.

Sarigs
07-10-2011, 09:33 AM
My second character and Screwie are now both through to Stormreach after the peak last night!

Screwie
07-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Yep, thanks to Sarigs and moondogjazz for grouping with me last night. It wasn't the turnout I was expecting, but as I was shattered after work (and my near 2-hour trip home, fun times) it was exactly enough for me to cope with. :)

(Also cheers to PW for the guild invite.)

Harlander
07-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Anyone still at a low level and in the snowy starting place? I had a bunch of stuff that kept me from joining for a few sessions but I wanna hook back up.

boots468
07-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Anyone up for another Sunday morning session this weekend?

moondogjazz
07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Sounds good, I'd be up for that.

Screwie
08-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I will try and make that. I would be up for some Harbour questing. :)

moondogjazz
08-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Harbouring sounds fun. As my principal character is level 5 at the mo I may bring along a second stringer.

Harlander
08-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Anyone still at a low level and in the snowy starting place? I had a bunch of stuff that kept me from joining for a few sessions but I wanna hook back up.

Anyone? ... Anyone? *echo*

thegooseking
08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Anyone? ... Anyone? *echo*

Yeah, I am.