PDA

View Full Version : Support RPS. For how long?

redox
25-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Will RPS let us know when we don't need to support them any more?
Or will that link be there forever?

They do have ads on the site too, so?

"RPS now does okay thanks to revenue raised from advertisements" http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/supportrps/

You don't say?

duff
25-09-2011, 01:50 AM
For years the writers never made a wage from the site and only in the last year or two has it has grown large enough for them to be able to take one. It probably isn't a very large wage either. If you have an issue with the adverts and an issue with donations how exactly do you suggest they support the time investment they put into maintaining the site?

redox
25-09-2011, 02:00 AM
For years the writers never made a wage from the site and only in the last year or two has it has grown large enough for them to be able to take one. It probably isn't a very large wage either. If you have an issue with the adverts and an issue with donations how exactly do you suggest they support the time investment they put into maintaining the site?

"RPS now does okay thanks to revenue raised from advertisements"

sendmark
25-09-2011, 02:20 AM
I've been subbed for ages and have no intention of unsubbing, $2 a month + ads for the best gaming content on the net is an absolute bargain.

TheRed
25-09-2011, 02:24 AM
So the fuck what? I have no idea what validity your constant and varied negative assertions about RPS have, but I don't see why you bother. Trust, money, blah blah. No-one makes you read it, and you often have to pay for magazines and so on. Web stuff is free, and you have to accept that anyone doing something full time needs to make a living from it one way or another. If you don't like it, bugger off elsewhere. I honestly don't know what you are trying to prove or achieve. Half of your points, true or untrue, really don't even matter that much to the vast majority of readers. Is it a personal vendetta? Honestly, could you explain what your agenda is, or at least your main problems with stuff, in a nice succinct way, without spurious allegations?

ColOfNature
25-09-2011, 02:55 AM
Tedious troll is tedious.

TheRed
25-09-2011, 03:08 AM
184 posts of it?

Berzee
25-09-2011, 03:41 AM
This is a good question, redox, and I think the answer is that we should do it for as long as they remain the excellent games-related blogosite we all adore, and give us the Quality Wordsmithing and Entertainment we crave.

Also, don't you love the surprise of seeing a new RPS newsletter in your e-the-mail box? I look forward to seeing their Big Plans, but even now the inconsistency makes it such a surprising surprise to see a new one!know what i mean??! :D

Rii
25-09-2011, 05:52 AM
Good God.

I totally didn't just subscribe to piss redox off.

sinister agent
25-09-2011, 07:04 AM
If you don't want to subscribe, don't subscribe. And give the whining a break, will you? It's become incredibly boring.

Jorum
25-09-2011, 08:08 AM
sigh...
what is your problem?

I buy New Scientist, yet they also advertise. In the same way every magazine I have ever bought in the last 30 years has adverts.

If I want to subscribe I will. If I won't I won't. Rossignol isn't coming round to my house with a cricket bat "asking" me to pay.

Your one-person crusade against a gaming website (you really go for the big hitting issues don't you) is transparent desperation for attention. If you can't be interesting be annoying I guess.

Alex Bakke
25-09-2011, 10:17 AM
I subscribed/donated to RPS when they were operating without advertisements because I loved the site and I wanted it to do well. I subscribe/donate to RPS now because they constantly try new things, write amazing articles etc. It's like a tip!

Also:

Redox, before you take one statement "RPS now does ok from advertisements", read the entire thing:

"but support from our readers has helped us afford our recent move to a big, better server so we can concentrate on making bigger, better content for the site."

"you feel inclined to lob us a wee spot of cash – maybe because you’ve elected to block the ads that the site needs to survive, or just because you really like us – we really will be inordinately grateful."

"we will supply you with a regular newsletter (painful note – this has not been as regular as intended, but we have Exciting Plans that will fix that soon), as well as occasional competitions and early access to beta key giveaways."

That's four reasons right there. You seem to have the inane habit of picking a single statement and sticking to it no matter what's actually the case, so I hope you pay attention this time.

Rossignol
25-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Plenty of people adblock and subsequently asked for an option to still put money toward the site.

Also, subscribers made the site possible before the ads made any money, and did so because they wanted to. We won't be removing their capacity to support us any time soon.

Any other questions? :)

sinomatic
25-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Personally I wanted the hivemind to dance while I threw pound notes at them, but they said I had to be happy with the subscribe button.

You win some, you lose some.

Kadayi
25-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Tedious troll is tedious.

Indeed

184 posts of it?

He won't be happy until RPS give Jim Sterling a Hivemind spot.

redox
25-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Plenty of people adblock and subsequently asked for an option to still put money toward the site.

Also, subscribers made the site possible before the ads made any money, and did so because they wanted to. We won't be removing their capacity to support us any time soon.

Any other questions? :)

That's fair enough I guess.

I do have another question. What are your thoughts on this? - http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=901895&postcount=11

Man Raised By Puffins
25-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Have you guys checked the About page recently? I think he might be onto something... (http://i.imgur.com/pNK7T.jpg)

Berzee
25-09-2011, 02:25 PM
<del>Now that one of my Entirely Legitimate and Not In Any Way Facetious threads has been locked for Alleged Trolling,
I will join you in your mission (what I assume is your mission) to leave a Smoldering Crater where RockPaperShotgun.com used to be,
through the use of Negative Publicity On Their Own Message Boards.

To this goal I can contribute some of the quarters and dimes that I found in the pool of condensation left behind after I removed an old root beer cup from the cupholder of my car yesterday. I won't be spending that money on ANYTHING ELSE ANY TIME SOON I GUESS. Clearly they are going mad with power on the web-site that they purchased with their own Earned Monies, as evidenced by my no longer being able to do Whatever I Want There.

However, I will still keep subscribing to RPS because I am addicted to the dangerous chemicals they put in their newsletter. (Should I put "news" in quotes to sound more Sullen?).</del>

Redacted. I had a change of heart. Love and such,
Berzee

Ian
25-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Dear redox.

Please stop.

Hugs 'n' kisses,

Ian.

deano2099
25-09-2011, 03:27 PM
If I want to subscribe I will. If I won't I won't. Rossignol isn't coming round to my house with a cricket bat "asking" me to pay.

Wha?!

When did they stop doing this?

I like to think that the adverts pay for food and rent and my subs pay for gin and cream teas.

Kadayi
25-09-2011, 04:31 PM
my subs pay for gin and cream teas.

One will worry when the two occur at the same time

Nalano
25-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Good God.

I totally didn't just subscribe to piss redox off.

I did. I so did.

ColOfNature
25-09-2011, 04:51 PM
One will worry when the two occur at the same time
Mmm, refreshing. (http://www.spacesbetween.net/cooking/ginandtea.htm)

Edit: not so sure about this one (http://www.idrink.com/v.html?id=927). Any volunteers?

Kadayi
25-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Mmm, refreshing. (http://www.spacesbetween.net/cooking/ginandtea.htm)

That would explain much when it comes to Johns posts tbh.