PDA

View Full Version : Fall Synapse Rules and matchmaking

Inverselaw
27-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Upper Bracket is currently in Round 3

Lower Bracket is currently in Round 3a

All Matches played on Server UK1

Hello everyone this thread is to explain and organize the Autumn PBEM tournament of Frozen Synapse as seen in this thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1215-Fall-Synapse-Double-Elimination-tournament%21).

The Tournament is organised using 4 tools/threads.

This thread is for matchmaking and victory declaring purposes, challengers use this thread to indicate when they challenged their opponent and the ID of the match so that other players can follow. Then the winner of the combat posts here to say he is the winner. Please don't use this thread if you want to plan a specific time to play with your opponent, use steam or the forums PM system for that. The other use of this thread is to post grievances such as players not playing their turns and rounds not finishing on time. Finally I will post statements about what week we are in and what rounds are suppose to be played.

The other tournament thread linked above is for discussing the nature of the tournament, the quality of the maps, talking about matches and other general sociability bits.

A steam group exists (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsyn), The start and end of rounds will be announced there and the chat room can be used to talk about any game going on at that time.

Finally a spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AobZWg0T_pMfdEVTS19kYUduc2ZIb1JJVG9YdmJpM VE&hl=en_US) indicates your opponent at each round, the match type and the map used, it will be updated on a weekly basis based on posted results in this thread.

How to read the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet has three pages, the third page, Match type votes is no longer important and will not be used during the tournament.

Page one is upper bracket, all players start here, they were all randomly seeded into either the equalization round or given a bye and put in Round 1.

Row 1 lists the name of each round, Row 2 lists the match type and map **map number are posted**

The rest of the page contains the tree structure of the tournament. If we take the top left branch of the tree we see two lines that meet.

The lower bracket is in page 2 of the spreadsheet. The lower bracket is almost identical with one difference. You will notice that there are L# placed all over it. that means that the loser of match is seeded here and his name is placed in the line to the right of it. Based on this we see in the top left corner that the loser of match 12 will fight the loser of match 13 in the first match of the lower Bracket. There are twice as many rounds in the lower bracket as such some upper bracket rounds will be played over 2 weeks.

The rounds with a in their name start on the same day as the same number rounds in the upper bracket with the same game type and map, b rounds and c rounds do not share this attribute.

You will notice that at the end of the lower bracket you can read, "To upper bracket" the winner of the lower bracket will fight the winner of the upper bracket for the winning spot of the tournament. Note however that since the upper bracket player has lost 0 matches and the lower bracket player has lost 1 match then the lower bracket player must win twice in a row against his opponent (same map and type, alternating challenger). For all intents and purposes the Tournament finale counts as a best 2 out 3 where the upper bracket player has already won one match.

How to start and play your matches

Every round starts on a Wednesday at 12pm (24:00) and ends on a tuesday 12pm (24:00) all times UTC

This tournament is PBEM as such you do not need to schedule a date to start the match, here is the detailed process however that must be followed in order to insure fairness and proper structure.

The first step in any match is to decide who is the challenger and who is the receiver.

For rounds which are an even number and 0 (0,2,4,6) the player who's name appears earlier (a->z) is the challenger.

For rounds which are an odd number or 0 (1,3,5,7) the who's name appears later is the challenger.

As such if your name is aaaardvark for example, and there are no aaaaq... or earlier you will be challenger on even rounds (and 0) and receiver on odd rounds.

Having established who the challenger is, this is the process for the challenger.

1. check in the spreadsheet what is the match type and map used. You can get the maps in the two packs in the attachments below. *MATCHES ARE DARK UNLESS SPECIFIED*

2. open up frozen Synapse, log into UK1, select create game, put down the name of your opponent, select the game type.

3. Chose advanced Setup, in the advanced setup menu load the relevant map. Custom levels are stored in psychoff/data/userlevels, thats where you need to unpack the below map packs. For best results put all 60 maps at the root of userlevel. once that's done select submit.

A new window will be generated, select the game mode in the first drop down menu, in the second drop down you put the view type, for dark matches the proper selection is vis at time zero, so you see the location of all his units at time zero but then only line of site. Light matches use vis at all time. Then there is turn limit and turn time, turn time is default. turn limit needs to be changed according to game type, the default values as seen here are

• Extermination: 8 Turns
• Secure: 6 Turns
• Disputed: 16 turns
• Hostage: 8 turns
• Charge: 6 Turns

Then in the box you put down your opponents name, chose the default I play side 1 and finally in the last area, a comment like "RPS tournament". Then press enter.

The proper match should be started.

4. Play out as far as you are allowed. typically that means the first turn or the bid for secure or charge.

5. Look up the ID of your match, then come to this thread and make a post, the post should just be "(challenger) has challenged (receiver) in match (match ID) "

6. Log in to Frozen synapse regularly to play the turn after your opponent has done his.

Victory Conditions

Standard in game victory conditions are used. The victor of the match will post in this thread with the match number and who he defeated.

In case of incomplete games the winner is the player waiting for input from his opponent.

If either player feels they have been wronged they can seek arbitration and a panel of 3 random players which may or may not be selected from the tournament rolls will review the incomplete match and decide who is the most likely winner, that player will be declared victor. Repeat offenders will be given a mallus during judging.

Complaints about imbalanced maps are INVALID maps have been posted and all requested changes have been made.

Additional information

Maps are attached in post.

There will be a x-th place placement match for 1st to 8th place. 1st, 2nd and 3rd are decided for in the current tournament structure so I will organize additional matches to sort out the other spots.

Post current as of 5th of October
Maps current as of 27th of September

Inverselaw
29-09-2011, 04:55 AM
So Round 0 has begun, thers only one match in this round, so ComradePenguin needs to go ahead and send his challenge.

Heliocentric
29-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Where do i put these maps?

ColOfNature
29-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Scanning wall-o-text... Located:

...Custom levels are stored in psychoff/data/userlevels, thats where you need to unpack the below map packs...
(In the Frozen Synapse install folder, that is: ususally either C:\Frozen Synapse\ or %programfiles%\Steam\steamapps\common\frozen synapse\)

ComradePenguin
29-09-2011, 05:38 PM
ComradePenguin has challenged dmbelenk in match 287496.

ComradePenguin
30-09-2011, 11:42 PM
ComradePenguin has defeated dmbelenk in match 287496.

dmbelenk
02-10-2011, 04:45 AM
ComradePenguin has defeated dmbelenk in match 287496.

Do you really have to say it so coldly? :) It was a good game!

Inverselaw
06-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Ok everyone Round 1 started just a few hours ago, the sheet is up to date and please send your respective challenges to the respective players.

Good luck everyone.

imirk
06-10-2011, 05:10 AM
imirk has challenged ColOfNature in game 315139

MasterBoo
06-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Indigon has challenged Desvergeh in game 315950.

desvergeh
06-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Indigon has challenged Desvergeh in game 315950.

OMG.... I just planned my actions using red, and your estimated actions on green!

Did not turn out well :(

imirk
06-10-2011, 05:07 PM
OMG.... I just planned my actions using red, and your estimated actions on green!

Smooth move.

Heliocentric
06-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Did that on one of my tournament battles, and but I'm aggressive enough with my guesses that the turn went well

MasterBoo
06-10-2011, 06:46 PM

If it makes you feel better, it happens to me all the time in other FS games :P

EDIT: just watched the turn. A 0.1s after your shotgun appeared, mine was supposed to turn around with his back to yours. I guess I was lucky in that since your moves aren't bad at all!

desvergeh
06-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Indigon has defeated Desvergeh in game 315950.

edit - ah sorry, just read that the victor is supposed to post. Too many leagues!!

MasterBoo
07-10-2011, 10:36 AM
For the protocol :P :
Indigon has defeated Desvergeh in game 315950.

MasterBoo
09-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Hmm, bumping this up. There were only 2 games out of the 8 in this round (and more than 3 days passed since we started).

MasterBoo
10-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Second bump.

Sunjumper
10-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Sunjumper has challenged Cimethink in match 327499

ComradePenguin
10-10-2011, 07:40 PM
ComradePenguin has challenged CMaster in match 328109.

Radiant
11-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Could Crakker challenge me [Majic]?
I don't know how this tourny system runs.

thanks

MasterBoo
11-10-2011, 09:53 AM
There are detailed instructions in the first post, check it out.

Fumarole
11-10-2011, 01:59 PM
cimethink has defeated Sunjumper in game 327499 with a shottie natural hat trick.

Inverselaw
11-10-2011, 03:20 PM
I have to say im rather surprised that worked MasterBoo :p

Radiant, just download the maps, you need to challenge crakker to a symmetrical extermination map, specificaly the fourth one. Since its a symetrical map crakker can challenge you if you want but your going to have to learn how to do this stuff eventualy.

Radiant
11-10-2011, 03:37 PM
EDIT! OH made a boo boo. The map I selected was not symmetrical 4 but extermination 4. Crakker just ignore game 329915 and we'll rock this new one:

Majic has challenged Crakker in match 329953

Sunjumper
11-10-2011, 06:19 PM
cimethink has defeated Sunjumper in game 327499 with a shottie natural hat trick.

That one was quite spectacular and a very good cautionary tale not to rush your plan and forget that the shotgunner might just go the other way...

I tip my hat to you because after the dismay and bitterness was gone I could see it for its beauty
and to everyone else I would say go and watch that mach as it is quite impressive.

Inverselaw
12-10-2011, 01:18 AM
right well the round ended a few minutes ago, I wait and see what happens and post the win/losses tommorow

ColOfNature
12-10-2011, 01:33 AM
My game against imirk is still in progress because I've been doing other things the last few days and didn't get round to playing my move until earlier tonight. I'd hate to get a default win by such underhand means.

imirk
12-10-2011, 02:16 AM
haha! I've outdone you in underhanded-ness and played back!

ColOfNature
12-10-2011, 01:00 PM
I should have kept quiet and gone for underhanded.

Fumarole
13-10-2011, 01:10 AM
That one was quite spectacular and a very good cautionary tale not to rush your plan and forget that the shotgunner might just go the other way...

I tip my hat to you because after the dismay and bitterness was gone I could see it for its beauty
and to everyone else I would say go and watch that mach as it is quite impressive.

Thanks for the compliment.

imirk
13-10-2011, 03:23 AM
imirk has smoked ColOfNature in game 315139

With an super shotgunner.

Inverselaw
13-10-2011, 03:59 AM
right I cant really declare who wins for ongoing matches since i cant inspect them, we basicly have to use the complain in thread method.

Anyway we are into week 2 now so I made the automatic decisons for games that werent declared. So the sheet is updated and the only waiting match is comrade penguin one.

Good luck everyone.

P.S. Week 2 is the first week with 2 weeks for the upper bracket FYI

Radiant
13-10-2011, 09:47 AM
I challenged Crakker the last day of the round so there is that.
If you could email him to give him a prod.

EDIT: Hold on why has he gone through?

ComradePenguin
13-10-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm still waiting on CMaster to take his first turn and PMed him early yesterday but haven't got a response yet I'm afraid.

CMaster
13-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Apologies. I've been away for quite a while (got back after 11 days or so on Monday) and had gotten out of the habit of checking this part of the forum. Came back and noticed I'd missed the start of the League for this season :( and forgot all about the tournament. Also, didn't even notice the PM until saw it mentioned here.

ComradePenguin
13-10-2011, 11:10 AM
No worries CMaster. Hopefully we can quickly play the game over the next couple of days if Inverselaw is okay with that?

Inverselaw
13-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Radiant, because i wasn't paying attention and i didnt notice your declaration (its really late though)

Sheet is corrected. The late matches need to be hurried up even though the tournament as a whole should be shorter owing to the lower number of rounds.

Sunjumper
13-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Sunjumper has challenged ColOfNature in match 335149

(You can also accept/igonore the other match which is on the same map but set up as dark extermination by accident)

CMaster
14-10-2011, 12:20 AM
For the late matches - it's always possible in order to catch up again, that when the next round is scheduled to begin, it can do - with the person who has already finished their matches playing BOTH their potential opponents.

Fumarole
14-10-2011, 12:55 AM
cimethink has challenged imirk in game 335556. I have a feeling your shotties are going to be an insurmountable obstacle.

Inverselaw
14-10-2011, 01:13 AM
I guess CMaster but its rather inconvenient for all players involved. Considering that there is 2 weeks in the upper matches it shouldent be too hard to catch up.

WombatDeath
15-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Bollocks, I completely forgot to issue my challenge - apologies. Is it time to issue my lower bracket challenge yet?

CMaster
15-10-2011, 11:14 AM
GG Penguin. Awful start by me, thought I might pull it back. Then a maximum range shotgun blast (which graphically misses) causes my last remaining guy to disintegrate from air disturbance or something. I'd thought your SG would be further on in trying to flank my starting position - bad call.

ComradePenguin
15-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Just to confirm ComradePenguin defeated CMaster in game 328109.

Yeah it was good game. You came back really well from the start and I played too conservative. I didn't read that turn where you distracted my MG with the SG and then got him, thought I'd come out of it with SG dead. The last turn was 50 50 whether I'd catch you or not. Basically depended on which way round you went and I got lucky.

Inverselaw
15-10-2011, 07:24 PM
ya wombat you got moved to the lower bracket, everyone in the lower bracket save 2 got a bye in round 2a so you need to wait for the CMaster vs dmbelenk match to finish.

MasterBoo
16-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Any news on the Majic vs. Crakker match?

Radiant
16-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Any news on the Majic vs. Crakker match?
Nothing so far I'm afraid it's just sitting there with only my [Majic] turn.

Inverselaw
17-10-2011, 01:46 AM
ya well its been a week so ill end the match and declare you victor.

MasterBoo
17-10-2011, 10:50 AM
So I need to challenge Majic/Radiant, right?

Inverselaw
17-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Yes please

MasterBoo
17-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Indigon has challanged Majic in match 341293

imirk
18-10-2011, 03:42 AM
cimethink has defeated imirk in game 335556.

MasterBoo
18-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Indigon has defeated Majic in match 341293.

gg!

Sunjumper
18-10-2011, 09:59 PM
I am still waiting for ColOfNature to take his turn.

ComradePenguin
20-10-2011, 04:07 PM
ComradePenguin challenged Inverselaw in game 344594.

Ignore game 344582. I was half asleep and set it up as an extermination by mistake, sorry.

MasterBoo
22-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Bumping yet again.
Shame that only 40% of the signed players actually participate.

ColOfNature
23-10-2011, 02:24 PM
I am still waiting for ColOfNature to take his turn.
Sorry, sorry. Haven't been around much lately. I looked at the spreadsheet a few days ago and it looked like we weren't going to have to play until next week. Maybe I'm misreading it, so I've taken a turn now.

Inverselaw
23-10-2011, 07:11 PM
right so its been a week since the CMaster vs. dmbelenke match was suppose to start so ill declare dmbelenke the winner.

WombatDeath
24-10-2011, 07:57 PM
For the avoidance of further cock-ups on my part: is dmbelenke now due to challenge me on map Extermination 2?

Inverselaw
24-10-2011, 11:44 PM
its disputed 1 but otherwise you are right.

Sunjumper
25-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Sunjumper has defeated ColOfNature in match 335149

Which contained one rather bizzare death.

Inverselaw
25-10-2011, 05:31 PM
ComradePenguin has defeated Inverselaw in match 344594

I only realised in the last turn that you could infact go inside the building and still pass the line :p

ComradePenguin
25-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Heh. I only caught a glimpse of you a couple of times and I couldn't work out for the life of me what you were up to. Shame you realised, very nearly had my first game with no kills at all. Still well played. I suspect if I hadn't made that grenadier make a suicide run to distract your SG you may have won.

MasterBoo
26-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Indigon has challanged ComradePenguin in match 350807.

gl hf!

Inverselaw
27-10-2011, 04:17 AM
ok doing a few auto updates.

bak loses his match vs jolima on account of not challenging

in the lower bracket Desvergeh and Web_Cole advance for the same reason.

Good luck everyone

Sunjumper
27-10-2011, 09:33 AM
sunjumper has challenged imirk in game 351840.

Jolima
27-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Jolima has challenged cimethink in game 352300.

I got to the semis without even having to issue a challenge, let alone shoot any shapeforms. Let's see if it all comes crashing down now that I have to start fighting for my position.

Fumarole
29-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Jolima has challenged cimethink in game 352300.

I got to the semis without even having to issue a challenge, let alone shoot any shapeforms. Let's see if it all comes crashing down now that I have to start fighting for my position.

Sorry for the delay in playing my turn, Gmail classified the challenge email as spam. That's the first time I've had that happen.

Fumarole
29-10-2011, 10:34 PM
cimethink defeated Jolima in match 352300.

Sunjumper
01-11-2011, 01:24 PM
sunjumper has defeated imirk in game 351840.

Inverselaw
02-11-2011, 12:32 AM
ok doing more auto-updates. dmbelenk, Majic and Web_Cole are eliminated for lack of playing.

ComradePenguin
02-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Hey. Just want to apologise for not playing a turn yet in my game. I have a job interview tomorrow so all my brain power has been dedicated towards that leaving only room for mindless gaming pursuits. I'll hopefully be back on track tomorrow.

Inverselaw
02-11-2011, 02:55 AM
well you are upper bracket so you still have a whole week to finish your game.

Sunjumper
02-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Sunjumper has challenged bak2213 in match 357395

WombatDeath
03-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Unless I'm misreading things (again) I need to challenge Inverselaw. Can I do so now?

Inverselaw
03-11-2011, 01:12 AM
yup in extermination 2

WombatDeath
03-11-2011, 02:23 AM
WombatDeath has challenged Inverselaw in match 357639.

Inverselaw
07-11-2011, 03:42 PM
WombatDeath has Defeated Inverselaw in match 357639

WombatDeath
07-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Can I issue my challenge to Desvergeh now, or do I need to wait?

MasterBoo
07-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Me and ComradePenguin started our game. Looks like I have a well-aimed rocket at turn 2 :P

ComradePenguin
07-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Me and ComradePenguin started our game. Looks like I have a well-aimed rocket at turn 2 :P

Heh. Yeah didn't see that angle in simulation. I suspect we may be done rapidly.

MasterBoo
07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Indigon has defeated ComradePenguin in match 350807.

Inverselaw
07-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Yes go ahead Wombat that way you can catch up.

MasterBoo
08-11-2011, 08:37 AM
cimethink feel free to challenge me.

Fumarole
08-11-2011, 05:33 PM
cimethink has challenged Indigon in match 361646.

Fumarole
08-11-2011, 07:40 PM
cimethink has defeated Indigon in match 361646.

Sunjumper
09-11-2011, 10:31 PM
bak2213 still has not made his move.

Inverselaw
10-11-2011, 03:38 AM
Well its been a week so you Win.

thats the only official decision for today, the wombatdeath Desvergeh match has till the 14 for their match, and the upperbracket is finished till the lower bracket catches up.

desvergeh
11-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I have not yet had the challenge from Wombat, you out there mate?

Unfortunately I am also currently away on work, so even if he does send the challenge now I'm not going to get the chance to play until the night of monday 14th. Can play through the turns quickly that night though if that helps.

WombatDeath
13-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Challenge sent; sorry about the delay. I'll make sure that I'm around tomorrow night!

desvergeh
15-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi again,

Got the challenge, but unfortunately ended up getting home much later than anticipated last night.

Happy for it to go down as a win for Wombat (I have been playing pretty poorly lately anyway).

Otherwise if you are happy to wait, I will push through the turns asap today.

Des.

WombatDeath
15-11-2011, 12:47 PM
I think it's probably my fault for challenging at the last minute. I'm happy to finish the match if Inverselaw is OK with that, and I'll be around today.

Inverselaw
15-11-2011, 02:35 PM
just keep playing, it will be over soon enough. Just think of poor cimethink waiting to see if he wins the tournament.

desvergeh
15-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Match completed, just waiting for Wombat to update the post with the results... although by saying that it makes it obvious what that result is ;)

WombatDeath
15-11-2011, 05:26 PM
WombatDeath has defeated desvergeh in game 365044. Good game!

desvergeh
15-11-2011, 07:16 PM
WombatDeath has defeated desvergeh in game 365044. Good game!

Yeah it was. No idea why I strangely moved my shotgunner out of the winning area. Teach me to play at work!

Fumarole
16-11-2011, 02:22 AM
just keep playing, it will be over soon enough. Just think of poor cimethink waiting to see if he wins the tournament.No worries, I've been content getting my tail kicked in the league games.

Last night I challenged TheBeefiest (he ruled the leaderboards in the beta and after release until the ranking system was changed) for shits and giggles and almost had him. We played Disputed with three units per side. Down to one man and one objective each it basically came down to a deathmatch for our gunners. Quite the illuminating loss for me.

MasterBoo
16-11-2011, 08:29 AM
FS league? Where do I sign? :P

Inverselaw
17-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Right well the sheet is updated, its Comrade penguin vs Wombat now.

Also Jolima failed to challenge Sunjumper so sunjumper advances.

Inverselaw
23-11-2011, 02:49 AM
oh well thats nice, no one played this week.

WombatDeath advances to the next round to fight Sunjumper.

Good luck everyone.

ComradePenguin
23-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Sugar. WombatDeath pestered me and everything. Sorry guys. Good luck everyone in the rest of the tournament.

Sunjumper
26-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Sunjumper has challenged WombatDeath in match 371577

WombatDeath
30-11-2011, 01:10 PM
This game seems to have stalled on turn 1 - are you about this week, Sunjumper?

Sunjumper
30-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Sorry RL got in the way of taking my turn. May we have two days of extension please? I'd really like to finish the match.
Iverselaw is there a bit of wrigle room?

Turn one taken and two submitted by the way.

WombatDeath
30-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Happy to continue if Inverselaw doesn't mind. Will take my next turns this evening!

Inverselaw
01-12-2011, 05:03 PM
keep playing, dont stop:p

Were a bit too far in to start eliminating players mid match

Sunjumper
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Wombat won by the way.

Very interesting technique too.

Inverselaw
04-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Woops Knew I was forgetting something. Congratulation to Wombat, its now Idigons turn to challenge.

MasterBoo
04-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Indigon has challanged WombatDeath in match 377071.

WombatDeath
07-12-2011, 02:21 AM
WombatDeath defeated Indigon in match 377071. I was lucky to win the bidding at the start; the result would probably have been different otherwise.

Inverselaw
07-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Congratulation WombatDeath, you move to the tournament finale to challenge Cimethink. You have to win two matches against him. You send the challenge for the first and he sends it for the second.

Good luck to both of you and may the best player win.

WombatDeath
07-12-2011, 06:45 PM
WombatDeath has challenged Cimethink in game 378882. Good luck!

Fumarole
10-12-2011, 07:37 AM
cimethink has defeated WombatDeath in game 378882.

Inverselaw
10-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Well Thats it then. Congratulation to Cimethink for winning the Fall tournament. And congratulation to WombatDeath for comming in second.

And congratulations to Sunjumper for comming in third

and ComradePenguin and Jolima for comming in 4th and 5th respectively.

So I guess That the only remaining question is If I should do a Winter tournament. It would Start on the 21th and have 2 weeks off during the Christmas and new year period.

WombatDeath
10-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Well played, cimethink!

Man thanks to Inverselaw for running it. I would participate in a winter tournament.