PDA

View Full Version : I ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Love The Big Bang Theory!

redox
29-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Man, this show cracks me up.

Anyone else here watched the The Nerdvana Annihilation (The Time Machine) episode?
If you haven't heard of this show and you love The Time Machine, then this episode is the perfect, THE PERFECT introduction to what is, well, you've read the thread title right?

Season five is on in the states as you read this. Maybe not right now, but it started this month.
That sentence reminded me of Leonard. http://messenger.msn.com/Resource/emoticons/teeth_smile.gif

NecroKnight
29-09-2011, 07:25 AM
This show is good, altought it was kinda lame at the beggining.

Tei
29-09-2011, 08:54 AM
I am nerd, programmer since 9 years old, fan of astronomy, profesional open source developer, geek... all my ex- where graphic designer weird girls. I consider Big Bang Theory is not really about geeks or nerds, but about the idea of geeks and nerds that some people have. Is untrue to the material.

snortmort
29-09-2011, 08:59 AM
This show is good, altought it was kinda lame at the beggining.

Conversely I thought it was MUCH better in the beginning (basically before Amy and Bernadette)

Jams O'Donnell
29-09-2011, 09:10 AM
I tried to like it after Walker recommended it somewhere, but had to turn it off after about five minutes. I've since concluded that Walker's TV recommendations are BAD and NOT RECOMMENDED.

endintears
29-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I consider Big Bang Theory is not really about geeks or nerds, but about the idea of geeks and nerds that some people have. Is untrue to the material.

Spot on. It's clearly written by people who aren't geeks and have their own (incorrect) opinions about how a geek behaves. For this reason I find it completely unwatchable.

LowKey
29-09-2011, 09:43 AM
its just average

edit: on the flip has anyone been watching fresh meat? I am finding that rather good

Xercies
29-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I've since concluded that Walker's TV recommendations are BAD and NOT RECOMMENDED.

I wouldn't say that totally...I got into Community because of him which I am loving!

Oh The Big Bang Theory is actually horrible, I physically wince when my friends are watching it. Its got some of the worst geek streotypes, and its bad because its apprantly going for the geek audience...or something I don't know but yeah horrible series.

How I Met Your Mother is a bit better.

Kaira-
29-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I tried to watch it from the telly, but after seeing this one, I decided that it really isn't worth my time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKZUg-bTOak

Drake Sigar
29-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Spot on. It's clearly written by people who aren't geeks and have their own (incorrect) opinions about how a geek behaves. For this reason I find it completely unwatchable.
Yup. Such blatant stereotypes are funny, but they wear out their welcome fast. They’re on what, their sixth season now? For a few episodes it was a curiosity. Now I want to staple my ears and eyelids shut every time it comes on.

Kadayi
29-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Sheldon is far and away the best part of the show to the extent that the others largely pale into insignificance against him (he's up there with Niles from Frasier in terms of scene stealing) . They could just move him to a flat share with Penny and make it an odd couple situation and save us the trauma of the others (their interactions are generally the best).

I must admit I do like community though (and gave it a chance off of Johns recommendation).

CuriousOrange
29-09-2011, 02:39 PM

Yes, exactly that. So much I felt it necessary to repeat it a third time.

Agree with Kadayi there, Community is quite entertaining. But Big Bang Theory makes me shout at the tv within 5 minutes of it being on. I'm not sure how any one who has ever met a geek can enjoy it.

Wolfenswan
29-09-2011, 03:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSU_OU_2ePw

redox
29-09-2011, 03:28 PM

Are you saying that you find it unwatchable because you think the writers aren't geeks, and the fictional characters that they've created aren't really geeks?

Seriously? You're saying that on the Rock Paper Shotgun forums? http://messenger.msn.com/Resource/emoticons/teeth_smile.gif

Someone somewhere talking about Doom -

It's clearly made by people who aren't space marines and have their own (incorrect) opinions about how a space marine behaves. For this reason I find it completely unplayable. http://messenger.msn.com/Resource/emoticons/teeth_smile.gif

Joseph
29-09-2011, 04:10 PM
I find it odd how people who are geeks say they won't watch Big Bang Theory because the characters are stereotypical geeks and not real life geeks. Most comedies work from stereo types and stereotypical characters.
Also, why would you want to watch a show about people doing stuff you do yourself and have it true to life?

Drake Sigar
29-09-2011, 04:17 PM
It's clearly made by people who aren't space marines and have their own (incorrect) opinions about how a space marine behaves. For this reason I find it completely unplayable.

Your example doesn’t apply. Space marines are entirely fictional, where as geeks are a massive social group whose hobbies have rapidly risen to mainstream heights these past years. Also, Doom is a demon-killing simulator which doesn’t try to offer the player logic or a story. In movies and TV shows (and most games today) the characters have to be relatable so we can connect with them on some level. The Big Bang Theory has no relatable characters; it peddles stereotypes that were outdated in the 90s.

I find it odd how people who are geeks say they won't watch Big Bang Theory because the characters are stereotypical geeks and not real life geeks. Most comedies work from stereo types and stereotypical characters.
Also, why would you want to watch a show about people doing stuff you do yourself and have it true to life?
Archetypes and stereotypes are not the same thing. And like I said before, stereotypes are funny, perfect for a single wildcard character. The problem with The Big Bang Theory is every single character is a stereotype. The same one.

Kaira-
29-09-2011, 04:22 PM
(video)

Where was that god awful laugh track? That seemed almost watchable. :D

endintears
29-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Stereotypes generally have some basis in reality even though they are gross generalisations. See something like The Office for how to do it right.

I wouldn't. That's probably why Big Bang Theory is so popular - people who aren't geeks watch it and love all the hilarious hi-jinks the "geeks" get up to.

I like watching medical dramas which I'm sure are completely unrealistic. Fortunately I'm not a medical doctor so this doesn't irritate the shit out of me.

Vexing Vision
29-09-2011, 05:04 PM
I love IT Crowd. I worked in IT, I could identify.

I don't like Big Bang Theory. I'm a geek, I can't identify.

LowKey
29-09-2011, 05:07 PM
hey hey hey, everyone loves the IT crowd, I dont think its a problem that the 'geeks' in BBT are stereotypes, its just that their not funny

Gerbick
29-09-2011, 05:16 PM
I like Big Bang Theory and don't like the IT Crowd. I'm a geek and work in IT. Have I reinstalled my brain incorrectly?

The Innocent
29-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I like watching medical dramas which I'm sure are completely unrealistic. Fortunately I'm not a medical doctor so this doesn't irritate the shit out of me.

Heh, I come from a family of doctors and they *hate* basically every medical show out there. More than I dislike Big Bang Theory by far.

Xercies
29-09-2011, 05:45 PM
When you start a sitcom yes maybe the characters are stereotypes, that can work definitely, but as a sitcom goes on you get more and more of a feel with the character, you get more into it because you like the characters. Big Bang Theory has none of that, they started as streotypes and they have stayed streotypes!

If you want a geek chaaracter done right look at Abed. In fact I think Abed is probably one of the most interesting characters on television, since he's a geek, he has aspergers or at least some kind of autism, he is a very likeble character. Thats how ou do an interesting character in a sitcom.

Or maybe its just I've gone off "multi camera sitcoms"

deano2099
29-09-2011, 06:08 PM
It's clearly made by people who aren't space marines and have their own (incorrect) opinions about how a space marine behaves. For this reason I find it completely unplayable. http://messenger.msn.com/Resource/emoticons/teeth_smile.gif

If I was a Space Marine, I probably would :D

I haven't started watching BBT yet but from what I've read the problem is that it gets it wrong. It's more like when us, as gamers, see one of those ridiculous fear-mongering stories in the press that are inaccurate and based off a false understanding of what gaming is. We know it's wrong, and it irritates us. But to people that don't play, it's news.

As has been said, Abed in Community is a geek stereotype but done right. That's the thing about stereotypes, by nature they are very broad: the stereotypical image of a geek and the reality of a geek are not hugely different. Broadly, looking in from the outside, they appear the same. The problem is, when you make a show for 20 episodes you can't leave characters as stereotypes. You get to know them more closely. And that's where you can falter. Because you either find out the truth behind the stereotype, or you try and derive it from what you know.

westyfield
29-09-2011, 06:22 PM
I dislike The Big Bang Theory. I don't find it particularly funny, which, for a comedy programme is a problem. But more of a problem is that the audience seems to find it impossibly funny. The constant laughter makes me furious - often, as in the Windows 7 video above, they start laughing before the punchline. WHY? I much prefer shows that don't have laugh tracks - being told "THAT WAS A JOKE YOU SHOULD LAUGH NOW" kills most of the humour from a situation.

imirk
29-09-2011, 06:37 PM
I enjoy big bang theory, the laugh tracks are horrible. It irritates me when I think of smarter jokes than the ones that get made. And Sheldon and Sheldon/Penny interactions are the show.

Lambchops
30-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Big Bang Theory is OK (didn't watch it regularly suspect if I had I would have tired of it) but I much prefer the IT Crowd.

Oh and as for medical programmes, one of my friends studying medicine once said that he thought Green Wing best conveyed the atmosphere of working in a hospital. This scared the shit out of me, I'm definitely endeavouring to stay away from hospitals!

Capt. Eduardo del Mango
30-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Not that I watch much TV, but the little bits of 'Big Bang Theory' I've seen just struck me as a collection of cack and predictable (and, therefore, not funny) stereotypes. Also, making fun of nerds? Not that I think there's anything fundamentally wrong with that, but - especially when you've made them such clichés - are just about as easy easy a target as it's possible to get.

But, yeah, I don't watch much telly - something has to have a pretty good hook for me not to just be grumpy and ignore it.

sinister agent
30-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I tried to like it after Walker recommended it somewhere, but had to turn it off after about five minutes. I've since concluded that Walker's TV recommendations are BAD and NOT RECOMMENDED.

He's right about Misfits, though. I started watching it the other night and had to force myself to stop so I'd enjoy the last few episodes for longer.

I dislike The Big Bang Theory. I don't find it particularly funny, which, for a comedy programme is a problem. But more of a problem is that the audience seems to find it impossibly funny. The constant laughter makes me furious - often, as in the Windows 7 video above, they start laughing before the punchline. WHY? I much prefer shows that don't have laugh tracks - being told "THAT WAS A JOKE YOU SHOULD LAUGH NOW" kills most of the humour from a situation.

Distressingly, this is true of Father Ted as well, I noticed while watching them again recently. The laughter track is quite obnoxious and kills some of the subtler funny moments. I can imagine someone recently excavated from a cave seeing it for the first time and being put off by it.

J Arcane
30-09-2011, 07:31 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HyHI_rBhN-A/TnwxC_ILI-I/AAAAAAAABH4/y3TJN3KRdNA/s640/553.jpg

wcaypahwat
01-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Scrubs was pretty realistic, as far as medical procedures go.