PDA

View Full Version : Dark Souls

Jockie
04-10-2011, 12:04 AM
So.. anyone getting this? Think it's the first non-pc game I've purchased in about 2 years for my dust-gathering 360. I didn't play Demon Souls, but I had a quick go on this at the EG expo (and died repeatedly, in an embarassing fashion, with people watching) and it seemed really rather brilliant.

It's refreshing to see a game that revels in being a true challenge, especially on a consoletoy where the order of the day is usually handholding and accessibility. Also the melee combat seems very meaty and intense.

Kaira-
04-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Waiting for my pre-order to arrive from Amazon (7th day was the release day for PAL-version if I remember correctly). I've played around... what, half an hour of Demon's Souls at my friend's PS3, and it was rather convincing that I should get Dark Souls on my X360.

Jams O'Donnell
04-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Oh, it's available on 360? How very interesting ...

Though I guess if I want it I'm going to have to get my Xbox modded to be able to play UK games, or import it for hojillions of pounds. :/

pakoito
04-10-2011, 11:57 AM
I hate you all sooooo much.

Joseph
04-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I have no 360 but I want this game.
Grr.

Torn
06-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Official release date is tomorrow, however I got my preorder limited edition (for PS3, comes with art book, soundtrack, making of video, 'dlc' code for strategy guide and online extras) through the post this morning. I got it from shopto.net for 36 free next day delivery; they've still got the Limited Edition still in stock if people are interested.

After only getting 50% through Demon's Souls, I strangely can't wait for more punishment. The title on the back is "PREPARE TO DIE" in caps. Fitting.

I think the appeal for me is that there are no properly 'hard' PC games I've noticed recently apart from, say, Binding of Isaac which is really down to luck with drops. Everything in Demons Souls and Dark Souls is down to your skill as a player. The Telegraph review (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/video-game-reviews/8803351/Dark-Souls-review.html) is spot-on:

Dark Souls’ grand heresy against prevailing games industry wisdom is the idea that, if you want to be rewarded in this game, you are going to have to do something worthy of reward. 2011 has been the year in which many developers have found riches in creating game experiences that challenge us not to excel but rather to mindlessly persevere. Increase the abilities of your avatar by simply playing the game every day and you will eventually prevail, they say.

Dark Souls, by contrast, is a game in which you must improve yourself before progress can be won. In that sense it is as orthodox as the earliest arcade games and yet, in sticking fast to this fundamental, feels like the freshest game of the year. It’s a game that asks you to look before you leap, to learn enemy attack patterns before launching your own offensives, to observe.

Shame these will never come out on PC as the RPS guys really should be playing and reviewing this. It's the antithesis of "consolitis" and will make Skyrim look like a walk in fairlyland. It's one of those rare games that drives things forwards.

If you're one of those people that professes to being good at games, If you like challenge and enjoy raising your game, you need to be playing this.

cosmicolor
06-10-2011, 01:48 PM
If I remember correctly, From Software were "considering" a PC port, so it might happen eventually. They're probably one of the most "PC" console devs anyway, so it wouldn't be surprising.

I have Demon's Souls and am bad at it, which has made me hesitant to get this one. It does sound overall superior to it, though, if said to be a little more on the "unfair" side than its predecessor.

Torn
06-10-2011, 02:11 PM
If I remember correctly, From Software were "considering" a PC port, so it might happen eventually. They're probably one of the most "PC" console devs anyway, so it wouldn't be surprising.

I have Demon's Souls and am bad at it, which has made me hesitant to get this one. It does sound overall superior to it, though, if said to be a little more on the "unfair" side than its predecessor.

Hmm I've heard it's less tedious as the campfire mechanic means you have checkpoints rather than starting at the very beginning of each level (and relying on having managed to open various locked door / bridge / etc. level shortcuts).

I'll update tomorrow after having played it this evening after work :)

cosmicolor
06-10-2011, 02:25 PM
That's definitely helped from the sounds of it. When I said "unfair" I meant that there were supposed to be more enemies that could murder you fast, more situations that people are finding a little tough, but I've yet to hear "tedious". But then again I'm only going off of the Something Awful thread for impressions.

I do like the sound of the Covenant system, adds some more spice to gameplay and gives more of a context for the PvP stuff, such as the one covenant that has you hunting down players who breaks theirs, or one that allows you to summon powerful enemies into other player's games, or being an invisible forest assassin.

Jockie
06-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Ordered at Shopto on pre-order too and it was dispatched yesterday first class, so I'm rather hoping it's waiting at home for me right now.

I'm really looking forward to this, because it contains several things I really like -

Tactical meaningful melee combat, where it's about timing and precision and being hit actually fucking hurts.

Open World with a focus on unguided exploration - the freedom to explore and survive in an oppressive, yet sometimes beautiful seamless environment - I don't really have to explain why that appeals to me.

Intriguing use of multiplayer - they've jsut absolutely gone out of their way to eliminate gameyness from the multiplayer, to the point where using voicechat kicks you to the main menu. You are an isolated individual struggling through a personal hell, what brief glimpses and interactions you get with other players aren't some happy romp, they're a silent agreement of cooperation for mutual benefit (except you can subvert it and leave misleading messages or invade other people's world and assassinate them on rare occasions).

Showing not telling - I do creative writing as part of my degree and we're repeatedly told that for our storytelling we need to 'show not tell'. Po-faced 'straight to camera' exposition is used all to often in games. Here people are reticent to talk to you at all and portentous riddles, scrawled messages, environmental and character art slowly reveal the world around you, but never to the degree where you know so much the mystery and isolation of the place are lifted. I find that quite refreshing versus games where underwritten or overwritten lore is shovelled down our throats.

laneford
06-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Desperately awaiting my pre-order (PS3) to arrive.

Finished Demon's Souls twice (well, ALMOST finished NG+ anyway) and it's already in my top 10 of all time I reckon, so I can't wait for this.

Jockie
06-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Well it turned out the 2nd hand 360 I have was at some point modded and the dashboard update on the disc (i really dont use it often, so it was probably using 1 year old firmware) has entered an unbreakable update cycle! Joy of joys.

Had to order a 2nd hand 360 off ebay that won't arrive til monday. Gutted as I was looking forward to a weekend of dying, misery, frustration and occasional elation. Nevermind, I'm sure Rage and the FM12 demo will tide me over til monday.

outoffeelinsobad
06-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I consider it a crime against humanity that these games are not on the PC.

It's difficult to have a personal experience when one is sitting on a sofa, ten feet away. And then one has roommates who constantly walk back and forth, severing any visceral connection one might have developed. I wonder if we can organize a petition to see this ported.

laneford
06-10-2011, 11:22 PM
My order has been despatched!

*explodes with excitement*

desvergeh
07-10-2011, 04:16 PM
My pre-order from shopto arrived yesterday. Played it all last night (only taking time out to lose a BB match).

Really, really like it. Lovely bleak, nihilistic atmosphere.

Have to admit I am a little surprised that I am not finding it more difficult. It has certainly taken a little practice to get the hang of it, but certainly not the hardest game ever. So long as you play carefully, and patiently it isn't too bad. Furthermore you only lose souls and humanity when you die, so moral is to not stockpile these (spend them if you got them).

Bosses are hard, but only generally until you realise the trick of killing the one you are on.

Maybe I have yet to reach the hard parts, only up to the undead parish so far.

Nullkigan
07-10-2011, 04:38 PM
No, that's normal. It's a tough but fair game.

Until you get the hang of what you should be doing and how to do it, it's very, very difficult. Once you're used to things, it becomes a cautious game of exploration and risk assessment. If you've played Demons' Souls then you'll already have the experience to jump into the latter mindset.

The supermarket wasn't stocking it today, so I'll probably wait a bit and then order from amazon. That LE manual is very appealing, though.

desvergeh
07-10-2011, 04:48 PM
No, that's normal. It's a tough but fair game.

Until you get the hang of what you should be doing and how to do it, it's very, very difficult. Once you're used to things, it becomes a cautious game of exploration and risk assessment. If you've played Demons' Souls then you'll already have the experience to jump into the latter mindset.

The supermarket wasn't stocking it today, so I'll probably wait a bit and then order from amazon. That LE manual is very appealing, though.

The LE manual? Do you mean the mini-guide? It is only digital, and it just a taster of the full guide.

TBH the whole LE is a bit of a disappointment. The guide is more an advert for the full-guide (which does look really nice though), cardboard case for the box, making of (I will never watch), soundtrack (that you can download easily), and the artbook (nice but small).

I know I shouldn't really complain, as it was all free, but not getting the LE is no big deal.

cosmicolor
08-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Demon's Souls is sucking me in again. Getting really tempted to invest in this now... but I have to spend so much money very soon :(

laneford
08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
This game is amazing.

desvergeh
09-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Not sure if anyone needs the advice of a beginner like me, but it might help someone:

- When levelling, improve your endurance. Lets you block, attack, and dodge more.

- Get the drake sword, helps so much (can point you the right way if you need).

- Plunging attack is excellent. If a boss is giving you trouble see if you can use this particular attack.

- On the gargoyle boss, practice until you can dodge its attacks. Then attempt to kill boss whilst human. This will allow you to summon help before you go into the boss. Without help this boss is 10x harder.

Really loving this game :)

Kaira-
10-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Finally beated Taurus Demon. Then, a f'ing dragon out of nowhere.

I love this game.

laneford
10-10-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm in the Undead Parish, I've got past the boar. and a few fuckoff big knights. (And one VERY BIG FUCKOFF KNIGHT) and found a blacksmith.

I'm a bit stuck as to where I go now. Each way seems to lead to a massive great bastard who zaps me with lightning or magic or a big axe.

Kaira-
10-10-2011, 11:10 PM
knights

Oh crap, I've been hammering my head against one of those for about... 20 deaths, at least. Playing as a thief. Maybe I should change class, since I can't deal even 100 damage with riposte against those bastards.

desvergeh
10-10-2011, 11:47 PM
You guys got the Drake sword? Using that makes short work of the knights.

You need to go into the church next. There are 3 knights in there (lure them out 1 at a time). There is also a huge guy with a shield in there (not too hard if you can dodge). Fight all of these outside the church as there is an annoying magic user on the 1st floor, who will happily zap you whilst you fight the knights.

Make sure you tag the fire by the blacksmith, and find the shortcut back to the firelink shrine.

Then head upwards from the shortcut onto the 1st floor of the church. Kill the mage, and the room full of zombies and keep heading up. Prepare to get very frustrated on the gargoyle boss.

Best thing to do on this boss is to use humanity to become human, and summon help (the npc you can summon is excellent). But make sure to practice on the boss a few times first though, so you don't waste your humanity.

desvergeh
11-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Oh crap, I've been hammering my head against one of those for about... 20 deaths, at least. Playing as a thief. Maybe I should change class, since I can't deal even 100 damage with riposte against those bastards.

Class doesn't really matter overall. Choice of weapon and where you put your stats does.

No need to restart, unless you want to that is.

Jockie
11-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Man, this game was totally worth the wait. I had the day off yesterday and I think I ended up playing it for something like 8 hours straight. Currently in Blight Town which is a horrible horrible place. Giants with big hammers who can knock you off the sides to your doom, creepy sort of lizard faced fuckers who have an unblockable grab attack that takes off most of your health, dogs who breath fire and these dicks who shoot poison blow darts at you. Plus it's really dark and sadly there are some unacceptable frame rate drops. I outright abandoned 7k souls last night as I died somewhere stupid and couldn't face trying to get them back.

My best advice for this game is not to play when you're really tired, because you make mistakes and you can't afford to in this game. Also I found the gargoyles kind of easy, I got them first time with the help of Knight Solaire, remember you can use your shield to partially block the fire attacks (and you can get a decent axe if you cut their tails off)

The boss who annoyed me the most was the Capra demon, he does a tonne of damage if he hits and he has two dog minions backing him up, who won't give you a seconds rest until you take them out. I ended that fight (4th or 5th try) with no Estus Flasks, the tiniest sliver of health and a pounding heart.

I absolutely love this game.

desvergeh
11-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Currently in Blight Town which is a horrible horrible place. Giants with big hammers who can knock you off the sides to your doom, creepy sort of lizard faced fuckers who have an unblockable grab attack that takes off most of your health, dogs who breath fire and these dicks who shoot poison blow darts at you. Plus it's really dark and sadly there are some unacceptable frame rate drops. I outright abandoned 7k souls last night as I died somewhere stupid and couldn't face trying to get them back.

Oh great, that is where I am headed next!

Also I found the gargoyles kind of easy, I got them first time with the help of Knight Solaire, remember you can use your shield to partially block the fire attacks (and you can get a decent axe if you cut their tails off).

I found the gargoyles very tricky myself. Most the time I did not have the humanity to summon help, and only some shields (none of which I have found yet) block fire damage well. What made it worse is that I have low poise, so being hit by fire staggers me, then the other one hits me with his halberd :(

The boss who annoyed me the most was the Capra demon, he does a tonne of damage if he hits and he has two dog minions backing him up, who won't give you a seconds rest until you take them out. I ended that fight (4th or 5th try) with no Estus Flasks, the tiniest sliver of health and a pounding heart.

I actually found Capra fairly easy. Only difficulty was the dogs. Once they were down I trounced him.

How did you find Gaping Dragon? Seen some people complaining about how hard he is. Surprised myself by taking him out first time without a scratch.

Jockie
11-10-2011, 10:21 AM
I died to him twice, first time because I was daftly wearing heavy armour and didn't have the speed to dodge his attacks.

The second time was probably my most frustrating death yet. He was literally one hit away from death so I tried to get an extra hit in when he was vulnerable and I sort of clipped through his body and then he ate me for a one-shot insta kill (it was a pretty cool special death animation though!).

The thing with blight town is, individually the enemies aren't very hard at all. But they're all capable of suddenly ending you, in a way that most enemies in the depths or previous areas haven't been (those frog things aside, but I was pre-warned against them and didn't have any trouble), it requires a degree of concentration that I couldn't muster last night. On the plus side, you get a ninja outfit there with great poison resist.

Kaira-
11-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Class doesn't really matter overall. Choice of weapon and where you put your stats does.

No need to restart, unless you want to that is.

Oh, okay. A friend of mine (veteran of Demon's Souls) said that thief would be the second hardest class to play. And I've been wondering wether it's meant to be that I need to riposte a Hollow Knight three to four times before he falls down. Might try again now that I'm rested.

desvergeh
11-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Oh, okay. A friend of mine (veteran of Demon's Souls) said that thief would be the second hardest class to play. And I've been wondering wether it's meant to be that I need to riposte a Hollow Knight three to four times before he falls down. Might try again now that I'm rested.

Class determines your starting gear and stats. So initially thief is hard, but as soon as you have got some better gear, and allocated a few stat points all classes are fairly even.

You mainly a dex build? I have gone wanderer myself, so using Drake sword, a couple of decent dex weapons, and pretty light armour.

Not sure what the advantage of dual wielding weapons is over a shield. It doesn't allow you to attack quicker (need to wait for full attack animation, before attacking with offhand), and shield seems so much more useful defensively. Or am I missing something?

Basically every character is an all-rounder in the game it seems. It helps to be able to do a bit of everything, as different enemies and bosses need different tactics. So pick up a bow, shield and bit of magic as soon as you can.

Kaira-
11-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Class determines your starting gear and stats. So initially thief is hard, but as soon as you have got some better gear, and allocated a few stat points all classes are fairly even.

You mainly a dex build? I have gone wanderer myself, so using Drake sword, a couple of decent dex weapons, and pretty light armour.
Yeah, mainly invested in Dex and Endurance, one point to Vitality. Short sword and the first shield found in the game.

Basically every character is an all-rounder in the game it seems. It helps to be able to do a bit of everything, as different enemies and bosses need different tactics. So pick up a bow, shield and bit of magic as soon as you can.

Already got a crossbow, but no magic (yet). Well, gonna try a few times against those Hollow Knights if they have any notable weakness or tactic that works against them.

desvergeh
11-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Yeah, mainly invested in Dex and Endurance, one point to Vitality. Short sword and the first shield found in the game.

Dex and endurance is pretty solid stat allocation.

No idea on shortsword, never used it.

You can get the drake sword before the knights. It is well worth it, and will make the game significantly easier (for a while). Not sure which shield you mean (first shield you find depends upon character), but generally you want to find yourself one with 100% damage reduction.

Already got a crossbow, but no magic (yet). Well, gonna try a few times against those Hollow Knights if they have any notable weakness or tactic that works against them.

Can't say I like the crossbow, you can only aim with it using lock-on right? Bow is better, as you can aim in first person with it. Useful for pulling enemies one at a time. You can buy bow and arrows from the merchant in undead burg.

I picked up Soul Arrow spell from the blacksmith underneath the firelink shrine. You can only get pyro magic later in the game (I think), unless you start with it of course.

On the knights, there are two types. Rapier + buckler, and broadword + shield.

The rapier ones I find are best to riposte. Parry their attack and riposte. Should take 1-2 ripostes using the drake sword.

The broadsword knights I find are best to block. Block their attack, and follow up with an attack whilst they are staggered. You can dodge their attack and backstab them instead though.

Jockie
11-10-2011, 02:20 PM
I went for a pure melee build, completely neglecting magic, but I've met a couple of magic vendors and gotten a couple of unusable spells. Apart from the miracle vendor who starts at the shrine, there's a Sorceror and a Pyro trainer I've found so far. The Sorceror is just before the Capra Demon in Lower Undead Berg in one of the houses to the side (there's a full Sorceror armour set too if you smash all the barrels). The Pyro is in the Depths, in the area where you meet the two Butchers originally he's in a room filled with barrels, near the bit where you fight a bunch of dogs and a torchbearer in the water, before entering the sewers proper.

I accidentally killed the Sorc trainer, which wasn't a big deal for me with my no-magic approach. But it's worth noting you get a swanky ring for doing so that you might be interested in for your Dex characters. Essentially all your movement becomes silent, which is really good for sneaking up on enemies with their backs turned for funstabs (I imagine it's not bad for pvp either, but I don't have an XBL sub).

desvergeh
11-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Interesting...

I didn't find the sorcerer trainer in undead burg. Might have to go looking for him. The blacksmith below firelink shrine sells a couple of sorcery spells if I remember right, which is where I got mine.

Ring from the pyro trainer sounds good... but I also want the spells... and I also feel bad for attacking one of the few characters in the game who isn't trying to kill me. Funny in a way, that this comes across as a much stronger moral quandary than the little sisters ever were.

Jockie
11-10-2011, 02:45 PM
It's works as a moral quandary, because you actually feel like you're fighting for your survival in Dark souls. You don't want to kill the guy, but if he's useless to you and has something that will significantly aid you in your tortuous journey..

Having said that I was just trying to skip his dialogue and accidently smacked him with a greatsword.

laneford
11-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Not sure what the advantage of dual wielding weapons is over a shield. It doesn't allow you to attack quicker (need to wait for full attack animation, before attacking with offhand), and shield seems so much more useful defensively. Or am I missing something?

Not sure if you mean Two Handing a weapon as opposed to dual wielding, but I would really not reccomend dual wielding unless you are feeling particularly cocky. Even with a weapon that can block in the off hand, you are going to take damage each time, and there are enemies you will need to block a lot with.

That said, you sound like you are further than me, so what do I know.

Jockie
11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Not sure if you mean Two Handing a weapon as opposed to dual wielding, but I would really not reccomend dual wielding unless you are feeling particularly cocky. Even with a weapon that can block in the off hand, you are going to take damage each time, and there are enemies you will need to block a lot with.

That said, you sound like you are further than me, so what do I know.

It's possible according to some, but you need to really master the parry/riposte stuff and it wont work on some enemies of course. i'd call it an advanced play-style (ie. way above my level)

desvergeh
11-10-2011, 07:39 PM
It's possible according to some, but you need to really master the parry/riposte stuff and it wont work on some enemies of course. i'd call it an advanced play-style (ie. way above my level)

Well I haven't found any real point to dual-wielding, that's my point. Just wasn't sure if I had missed something.

I can see the disadvantages, but cannot see any compelling advantages.

Kaira-
11-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Grinded a bit to get enough strength to use Drake Sword and suddenly I just breeze through all the obstacles, such as Bell Gargoyles. The summon helped also, as I didn't die once. Now, to figure a way to defeat that bastard near the blacksmith. Gotta say, I love this game more and more.

SMiD
12-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Damn you people. Reading this thread and now I've an uncontrollable urge to play this game. Time to check the bank balance.

laneford
12-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Damn you people. Reading this thread and now I've an uncontrollable urge to play this game. Time to check the bank balance.

Joinnnn usssssssssssss

Jockie
12-10-2011, 08:18 AM
I tooled around with Dual Wield for a little while and as far as I can see the advantage is versatility. You can have two weapons that deal different damage types (early game that will be like slashing or thrusting, later lightning or divine or whatever) allowing you to hurt enemies that have a specific weakess with whichever weapon. Only thing is, most of the time you can just switch weapons in and out to adapt to a situation anyway and keep your shield up.

But the other thing you can do is wield different types of weapon, for instance you can have a super heavy zweihander in one hand and a tiny dagger in the other (these are extreme examples), this allows you to exploit enemy weaknesses more easily, if you have a tiny window of attack get a couple of stabs in with your light weapon and try to afflict bleeding, if theres more time to attack lay down some pain with the heavier one. I think the best application may be to have a crit specialist weapon for backstabbing in the main hand, then a more generally viable weapon in the other and go for the backstabs when possible.

Also SMiD, it's worth every penny.

desvergeh
12-10-2011, 12:12 PM

It is a real nice game in my opinion. Toss up between this and Portal 2 for my game of the year.

Don't be too put off by the "difficulty." It really isn't too hard when you get the hang of things. Yes you will die lots, but so long as you play sensibly (ie don't walk around carrying thousands of souls at a time) it is never that much of a setback.

It reminds me a lot of a rogue-like. It isn't randomly generated levels or anything, but the person who really skill-ups is the player. You get to the point where you wonder how certain enemies ever managed to annihilate you so easily before.

Jockie
12-10-2011, 01:32 PM
It reminds me a lot of a rogue-like. It isn't randomly generated levels or anything, but the person who really skill-ups is the player. You get to the point where you wonder how certain enemies ever managed to annihilate you so easily before.

That's at the core of what's satisfying about the game to me, while your onscreen avatar is visually levelling up in terms of armour, weapons etc, you the player level up too. Learning how to move and utilise movesets for weapons. Training your reflexes for precision and timing and learning how to effectively counter different enemies. Each new area brings a new set of challenges and there's a great deal of satisfaction to be had in a flawless run through an area and a feeling that you've mastered it (even though death can sometimes still be but one mistake away).

Nullkigan
12-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Cracked and bought it. I like that there is no more need to farm for healing items and that gendered equipment is gone, but I much, much preferred the backstory and soul form in Demons' Souls.

Also DEM BONES 50 feet away from the Firelink shrine.

desvergeh
12-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Cracked and bought it. I like that there is no more need to farm for healing items and that gendered equipment is gone, but I much, much preferred the backstory and soul form in Demons' Souls.

Also DEM BONES 50 feet away from the Firelink shrine.

I'm a souls noob, xbot and all that. Interested in how the two compare, but not enough to buy a ps3.

What is the "Dem Bones" reference?

SMiD
12-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Settled; picking this up after work then. Take my money!

Nullkigan
12-10-2011, 04:43 PM
What is the "Dem Bones" reference?

After the tutorial you go straight to the main game world, which seems to be freeroam instead of the nexus and teleport stones of the original. If you explore little you can quite easily end up in a graveyard, where skeletons will rise. These are skeletons in the old D&D sense and are largely immune to slashing and piercing damage (and the mace I found too, which is odd). They're rather annoying to face and after consulting the wiki, meant to deter newbies from going in that direction, much like the Red Eye Knight in the start of DS.

In Demons' Souls there were similar enemies (World 4-x, Silver, Gold and Black Skeletons). Those were a bit easier to fight because they were larger and more ominous looking, despite their penchant for rolling around like some sort of crazed attack hedgehog.

Hint for the tutorial boss: roll towards the direction he's swinging from, go under his weapon and hit him two or three times before retreating. He has a lot more range than any of the melee bosses in DS, but a lot fewer HP to make up for it.

laneford
12-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Today I went up the ladder (after the boar and the massive knigh) in the big church/temple thing in the undead burg.

Was doing ok until the second gargoyle :(

May attempt to summon a friend or two later on to try and even out the odds. t

Kaira-
12-10-2011, 10:54 PM
If there's anything I can say of tonight's travels in Dark Souls: I hate Depths. And the Gaping Dragon. Especially the Gaping Dragon has deserved a special place in my construction of Hell. Maybe tomorrow I'll get around showing that piece of meat who is the boss.

Jockie
13-10-2011, 09:09 AM
If there's anything I can say of tonight's travels in Dark Souls: I hate Depths. And the Gaping Dragon. Especially the Gaping Dragon has deserved a special place in my construction of Hell. Maybe tomorrow I'll get around showing that piece of meat who is the boss.

The Gaping Dragon is one of those bosses who are pretty easy once you've memorised the moves, but can kill you in one hit. Best way to get him is wait until he does the slam attack, then run in for a couple quick slashes (I usually go for the head at this point), roll out of the way when he charges foward and get a decent combo in (I go for the tail, until it breaks, then the tail stump), then back off until he does these two again.

He caught me out a couple of times (once he even used a lava attack thing, I hadn't seen that in my other attempts and was lucky to avoid it), but he's the kind of boss where patience and concentration will see you through.

For reasons best known to myself I started again last night (essentially I wanted to experience the multiplayer and ended up having to migrate my GFWL account to get XBL working, which meant I can't use my old save online).

Trying as a Pyromancer, they're a fairly adaptable starting class (stats wise), with sucky gear as the trade-off for the Pyro Glove. I like him a lot, using Havel's Ring I can wear the Elite Knight Armour and still roll properly. I think I'll end up wearing something light and building towards Dex weapons. I want him to be able to jump in and dish out some swift damage when the enemies guard is down, while throwing out some hurt from range when they're being all cautious. Plus I hear the defensive spell Pyro's get is awesome.

desvergeh
13-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Today I went up the ladder (after the boar and the massive knigh) in the big church/temple thing in the undead burg.

Was doing ok until the second gargoyle :(

May attempt to summon a friend or two later on to try and even out the odds. t

I had a fair bit of trouble on that boss.

Best thing to do I found was just do several attempts in hollow form. Get the hang of it, learn how to dodge the melee attacks.

Then do it in human form summoning help.

I did it 1st time with help after my practice attempts.

desvergeh
13-10-2011, 11:22 AM
The Gaping Dragon is one of those bosses who are pretty easy once you've memorised the moves, but can kill you in one hit. Best way to get him is wait until he does the slam attack, then run in for a couple quick slashes (I usually go for the head at this point), roll out of the way when he charges foward and get a decent combo in (I go for the tail, until it breaks, then the tail stump), then back off until he does these two again.

He caught me out a couple of times (once he even used a lava attack thing, I hadn't seen that in my other attempts and was lucky to avoid it), but he's the kind of boss where patience and concentration will see you through.

It is probably worth taking off armour for this boss too. He pretty much kills you 1 hit no matter what you are wearing (especially if you are cursed). Speed is of utmost importance in this fight, as it is the bosses biggest weakness.

The puke attack needs to be avoided. I didn't get hit by it, but I believe it breaks all your gear, which is not good.

Laneford, have you lit the nearby bonfire for the gaping dragon? Killed the caster too? Believe he can be quite troublesome if he is still around for the boss fight.

For reasons best known to myself I started again last night (essentially I wanted to experience the multiplayer and ended up having to migrate my GFWL account to get XBL working, which meant I can't use my old save online).

Trying as a Pyromancer, they're a fairly adaptable starting class (stats wise), with sucky gear as the trade-off for the Pyro Glove. I like him a lot, using Havel's Ring I can wear the Elite Knight Armour and still roll properly. I think I'll end up wearing something light and building towards Dex weapons. I want him to be able to jump in and dish out some swift damage when the enemies guard is down, while throwing out some hurt from range when they're being all cautious. Plus I hear the defensive spell Pyro's get is awesome.

I'm having trouble killing Havel currently. Any tips?

Jockie
13-10-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm having trouble killing Havel currently. Any tips?

Yeah, go naked - it makes dodging his attacks a lot easier. Basically you want to be waiting until the last second, dodging behind him and getting a backstab in. I usually back off after each backstab, because the easiest attack of his to dodge is the running two handed swing. He's another one who is a pain with the one hit kills mind, but once you're in the dodge zone you'll take him down without a scratch.

desvergeh
13-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah, go naked - it makes dodging his attacks a lot easier. Basically you want to be waiting until the last second, dodging behind him and getting a backstab in. I usually back off after each backstab, because the easiest attack of his to dodge is the running two handed swing. He's another one who is a pain with the one hit kills mind, but once you're in the dodge zone you'll take him down without a scratch.

Does naked confer faster speed than light armour? I only wear hard leather, so I'm pretty fast on my feet. Can't stand the slow-moving that wearing plate lumbers you with.

You killed the Hydra yet? Found him, poked him a bit, but not sure I can take him yet. Also found the Valley of the Drakes. Don't think I will be going back in there for a while!

Jockie
13-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Naked is faster than light armour I believe, give it a go and see - but I was wearing my crappy pyro rags which count as light and I was faster without them. Other thing (that you'll probably have realised anyway) is that you're probably better off shieldless too and going for the 2 handed backstabs. I think he took 5 with the Drake Sword.

I killed the Hydra on my original game without much trouble - the trick is to run in past the horrible ranged attack and basically, block with your shield when the heads go for you, then have a quick swipe at the heads. It's actually really easy because the heads don't combo attack so you'll never run out of stamina. Honestly once you evade the water cannon attacks, the biggest threat is falling down the underwater cliff because it's quite hard to spot with all the splashing.

I tried to get him last night with my Pyro and got one shotted by the water cannons unfortunately..

desvergeh
14-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I killed the Hydra on my original game without much trouble - the trick is to run in past the horrible ranged attack and basically, block with your shield when the heads go for you, then have a quick swipe at the heads. It's actually really easy because the heads don't combo attack so you'll never run out of stamina. Honestly once you evade the water cannon attacks, the biggest threat is falling down the underwater cliff because it's quite hard to spot with all the splashing.

Havel killed. Pretty easy naked :)

Hydra was a lot more difficult. That ranged attack was really annoying. If it hit me, np, I could block it. However frequently it would hit the ground next to me, doing splash damage, which took off half my health even when blocking!

Even when I was close to him it wasn't easy. He would still sometimes do the ranged attack, and his melee would damage me even if blocking. Guess I must have less physical defence than you.

Got him in the end.

Now onto Blight Town. Poked my head in there last night, seems a fun place.

I was also doing it human form, and ran into my first black phantom. Was quite funny actually. I was going down a ladder, and suddenly stopped moving, not being able to go down any further. Weird I thougt, then looked closer and noticed a black figure on the ladder just below me.

A few quick kicks to the face, followed up with a plunging attack and he was dead. Not sure if it was a computer controlled phantom, or a player. Either way they seemed pretty dumb.

Died shortly after whilst trying to jump across to some loot.[QUOTE]

Kaira-
14-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Naked is faster than light armour I believe, give it a go and see - but I was wearing my crappy pyro rags which count as light and I was faster without them. Other thing (that you'll probably have realised anyway) is that you're probably better off shieldless too and going for the 2 handed backstabs. I think he took 5 with the Drake Sword.

Yeah, naked is apparently faster than light armour. I finally beated the bloody Gaping Dragon while being naked. Was quite a fun experience, but I'm not quite sure where I want to go now. I poked my nose to Catacombs, but since the skeletons don't stay dead, I don't think I'll go there yet. Blighttown.... a friend of mine has told me way too many horror stories of that place that I'd like to go there. But then again, the only real alternatives are Darkwood Basin (and the Hydra, especially), Blighttown and New Londo Ruins. Maybe I'll go harass the Hydra first.

I was also doing it human form, and ran into my first black phantom. Was quite funny actually. I was going down a ladder, and suddenly stopped moving, not being able to go down any further. Weird I thougt, then looked closer and noticed a black figure on the ladder just below me.

Yeah, I also got invaded the other day by an NPC-phantom. Was quite an interesting battle, evading the bloody huge rats and that maniac wielding Zweihander(?). Made me want to buy some time for Xbox Live, but on the other hand, I'd just want to play this game through once offline to avoid player-messages and find all the wonders myself (and die trying, obviously).

Jockie
14-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I smashed through Blight Town last night, it was actually significantly easier than on my first playthrough because I grabbed the old copper ring you get from returning to the asylum. It Allows you to run through the swamp areas, meaning I had less of a poison problem (also the crappy pyro rags you start with have epic poison resistance, woo!) Those blowdart mofo's are still annoying as hell though. I strongly suggest grabbing the spider shield before heading into blighttown proper, as it's extremely useful against those dudes.

I also found the hidden Chaos Covenant after the blight town boss. but I answered no instead of yes to a dumb question and this ugly egg ridden bastard wouldn't let me past, so I decided to kill him. Interestingly it looks as though I can still join the covenant, but they're waaay to creepy and disgusting for me.

I actually did quite a lot last night, as I also joined the forest Covenant and got to do a fair bit of PvP (I kind of suck at it so far, but the rewards are good when you do win). Also took down the giant Wolf boss which is a pretty epic fight. Even if I did spend most of it micromanaging my stamina, with judicious, blocking/unblocking. After that I tried Sen's Fortress and fuck me. That place is EVIL. Traps everywhere, thin little high up Walkways and some serpent guys who are more annoying than tough, but when they knock you off a 50ft platform to your death with an attack or spell you blocked, trust me you will rage.

Think I'm gonna go off the beaten path and have an explore and level up a bit before going back there again.

Jockie
14-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Hydra was a lot more difficult. That ranged attack was really annoying. If it hit me, np, I could block it. However frequently it would hit the ground next to me, doing splash damage, which took off half my health even when blocking!

Even when I was close to him it wasn't easy. He would still sometimes do the ranged attack, and his melee would damage me even if blocking. Guess I must have less physical defence than you.

Forgot to mention in my above post - the stat you need for good blocking (other than upping your endurance stat which is pretty useful in itself) is Shield stability, it means blocking uses up less stamina. So if you were using a low stability shield, you might fare better by upgrading it or using one with high stability (not to mention 100 for Physical Defense, meaning no damage slips through - but most decent shields have that as a given). I'm using the Eagle Shield currently, it doesn't allow for parry Riposte, but tbh I've pretty much given up on parrying as a useful tool against most enemies, it's generally not worth the risk of mistiming it and getting my face eaten.

Nullkigan
14-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Upgrading your shield will increase stability slightly. The Hollow Soldier shield is excellent for the first part of the game, and even beats out the Drake Shield if you're running a heavy armour / parry build. Keep one on you for Black Knights (two ripostes with the Drake Sword should kill them).

laneford
16-10-2011, 09:55 PM
So how's everyone getting on at the moment? I'm around level 25. Just rung the 2nd bell so I've done: (I think) Undead Burg/Parish, Depths and Blighttown.

Just wandered into Darkroot Forest and got murdered by something BIG and SCARY. (Not really a spoiler, that)

Suggestions where to try next?

desvergeh
16-10-2011, 10:00 PM
So how's everyone getting on at the moment? I'm around level 25. Just rung the 2nd bell so I've done: (I think) Undead Burg/Parish, Depths and Blighttown.

Just wandered into Darkroot Forest and got murdered by something BIG and SCARY. (Not really a spoiler, that)

Suggestions where to try next?

I haven't had much chance to play the last couple of days, so not much progress.

SL31 (ended up not grinding, just enjoying hitting things). I'm in Blightown currently.

You done Darkroot Basin, and Darkroot Garden? They are worth a look. You should probably also go back and have a look at Undead Asylum.

Nullkigan
16-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm up to the Capra demon, but have decided to sidetrack and kill Havel/Stray, reinforce some weapons, etc. Stray is just too tough for me at SL22, but at least I can level up easily in the Asylum.

laneford
16-10-2011, 10:11 PM
How do you get back to the Asylum?

Nullkigan
16-10-2011, 10:16 PM
After activating the lift in the Undead Parish to Firelink, below the Gargoyle (some people mistake them for confessionals, they're right next to the Big Knight), you can step off near the bottom of the lift. Go right, and roll onto the flying buttress. Work your way up to the top of the tower and do as the crestfallen warrior said a while ago. Make like an egg and beat it...

The Asylum has a couple of decent pieces of loot and excellent XP for SL <30. It's also where you find the trading crow!

Jockie
16-10-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm at SL 76 and I think I'm nearing the end after apparently 37 hours.

You guys have some sights to see. Anor Londo is lovely and completely deadly. You haven't lived until you've been shot off a tiny walkway 5 times in a row by a knight firing arrows the size of lances. Also the boss(es, there's two at once) there are hilariously tough, I had to cheese them a little with a crystal halberd (so if you see one, hold onto it).

Also on the agenda is the tomb of the giants, a pitch-black thin ledged nightmare of a place, with giant skeleton dogs who can pretty much kill you with a single combo.

Also tried some pvp after joining Blade of Darkmoon Covenant, which is the one where you hunt down guilty players (invaders basically). I have trouble connecting some of the time, but it can be pretty hilarious - my last mission was to hunt down a guy in the darkroot forest and he had a friendly phantom assisting him fighting some of those tree-men. I just dived in with my Lightning Iaito and tore them apart in a few seconds. I don't imagine they were too impressed!

laneford
17-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm up to the Capra demon, but have decided to sidetrack and kill Havel/Stray, reinforce some weapons, etc. Stray is just too tough for me at SL22, but at least I can level up easily in the Asylum.

Suprised you haven't done Capra at 22

I probably did him in the teens, (with white phantom assistance mind) and went through depths. I've done Blighttown and Darkroot, and just finally got Havel, and I'm just approaching 30. I'm finding I don't really need to grind, at least not at these levels. You get 25k for doing the boss of Depths, and he's a piece of a piss to be honest.

That said, I can't scratch the Stray Demon without being repeatedly murdered. Leaving him until later...

Kaira-
17-10-2011, 06:32 PM
That said, I can't scratch the Stray Demon without being repeatedly murdered. Leaving him until later...

Stray Demon is basically Gaping Dragon, the less mobile edition. Just go naked, preferably wield a two-handed weapon. Once you fall down, just roll towards Stray Demon and try to get behind him, and then just stay there for the whole fight. It'll take time, but it's not excactly hard once you learn his moves.

Jockie
17-10-2011, 06:53 PM
If Stray's fire is giving you problems, it's probably worth doing a suicide run into valley of Drakes to grab the Dragon Crest Shield from in front of the undead Dragon who lives there - it has 85% Fire blocking. You can only do that if you took Master Key as a gift and started out thief mind (you go down the stairs to New Londo ruins, unlock the gate hop in the lift and follow the path, then shit yourself as soon as you grab the sword or shield).

Incidentally the sword you grab there looks like it could be potentially awesome for Faith meleers as it has C rank in Str, Dex and Faith and has divine property to boot (kills certain unkillable undead in the catacombs).

Have any of you guys seen the 90 minute Japanese Speed run Video? I flicked through it a bit and the guy has absolutely mad skills, the way he gets the Drake Sword is ballsy as hell. I tried to replicate it with my sl75 guy and got burned to a crisp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ymysN3qQ8&

Nullkigan
17-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Incidentally the sword you grab there looks like it could be potentially awesome for Faith meleers as it has C rank in Str, Dex and Faith and has divine property to boot (kills certain unkillable undead in the catacombs).

At 80 physical 80 lightning, even excluding the divine property, it's very easy to make better than the Drake Sword. Trade for some Twinling Demonite at the crow (one of each moss will do), and get it to +3. It'll be 104/104 exclusive of build bonuses, which the Drake Sword doesn't get at all.

Now, each damge type is resisted seperately so it's not going to be THAT much better, but it's guarenteed to do a decent amount of damage to anything you encounter and has a straightsword thrust move.

Kaira-
17-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Have any of you guys seen the 90 minute Japanese Speed run Video? I flicked through it a bit and the guy has absolutely mad skills, the way he gets the Drake Sword is ballsy as hell. I tried to replicate it with my sl75 guy and got burned to a crisp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ymysN3qQ8&

Yeah, I watched it and well, my reaction to most of it was just plain "what". It's just crazy how he maneuvers through everything, makes killing bosses seem easy (especially Ceaseless Discharge) and... yeah. Japan, you keep amazing me.

laneford
17-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Ah does the stray demon do Fire damage? I thought it was Magic damage, that explains a few things. (I was using the anti-magic shield rather than the Dragon Crest which I already have)

It's the massive AOE blast that kills me each time.

Gaping Dragon was a piece of piss because you could just let him run into walls and wail away on his tail knowing he couldn't hit you. Stray seems to be able to get me with that massive explosion thing everytime no matter where I stand.

Jockie
17-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Ah does the stray demon do Fire damage? I thought it was Magic damage, that explains a few things. (I was using the anti-magic shield rather than the Dragon Crest which I already have)

It's the massive AOE blast that kills me each time.

The radius for the fire blast doesn't extend as far behind him as it does in front of him, so the best bet is to get behind him as much as possible. If you can't a shield block with fire resist goes a long way toward taking the sting off.

I've got two of the end type bosses left to take out, supposedly Smaugh and Ornstein were pretty much the hardest in the game, so I'm confident I can take them down, it's just a case of going through a couple more tortous dungeons! I may have to leave it for the weekend, because I'm not sure I've got the patience required to not die a whole bunch during the week.

Kaira-
17-10-2011, 10:06 PM
The stray has two sorts of explosion attack: the wide swing which doesn't stretch behind the Stray Demon, and the one where he lifts his weapon up and pounds down, which stretches behind him. The safest place against him is behind him, all times. When he begins to lift his weapon, move back til you have about tail's lenght between the back of the Stray Demon and yourself. The hardest part of the fight is the beginning, I suggest you gulp down a flask as soon as you hit the ground and as soon as a chance opens, roll towards the demon and then try to circle behind it - Stray Demon is slow and you should be able to easily circle him. If that fails, you can usually roll between the legs to get behind Stray.

desvergeh
18-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Backtracked from Blighttown to get some things I missed.

Finally found that merchant in lower undead burg (was pretty much the one door I had not tried), got the summon merchant in Darkroot Basin.

Next aiming to get Pharis' Black Bow, join the forest covenant, and get the rusted iron ring from the asylum.

Has anyone actually had any vagrants turn up in their games?

I am a bit confused by the vagrant system. Most things I have read indicate they are spawned by items dropped in other peoples games. So I have been dropping extra items I don't need to create vagrants for others.

However the guide indicates they are created by people dying, and dropping humanity. Furthermore the guide indicates you only get them in particular spots in the game. You also get good and evil vagrants. Not sure what the difference is though.

Anyone actually encountered one and able to offer a better explanation?

Jockie
18-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Has anyone actually had any vagrants turn up in their games?

I am a bit confused by the vagrant system. Most things I have read indicate they are spawned by items dropped in other peoples games. So I have been dropping extra items I don't need to create vagrants for others.

However the guide indicates they are created by people dying, and dropping humanity. Furthermore the guide indicates you only get them in particular spots in the game. You also get good and evil vagrants. Not sure what the difference is though.

Anyone actually encountered one and able to offer a better explanation?

I've encountered them twice and I can't offer you a better explanation. They're sort of swirly crab looking things that drop a Twin Humanity when you kill them... that's all I've got.

Jockie
19-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I finished Dark Sols tonight. The final boss is an absolute twat and I sorta had to cheese him. I won't spoil anything by saying how, but I'm both hugely satisfied and kind of relieved I managed to finish the game!

desvergeh
20-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Pretty annoyed at a glitch in the game.

The other night I joined the forest covenant. Shortly after get my first summon, get owned by some guy wearing the fog ring. Ok no problem.

Then get another summon, get the kill on this one.

Last night I play some more, get summoned to protect the forest again. Before I can even find the intruder he gets himself killed by a npc. It still counts for me though, so 2/3 towards my ring, some souls, and some nice titanite. Going well.

So I return to the forest, start looking around to make sure I haven't missed any corpses to loot... Hey there are my buddies in the forest clan.... why are they stabbing and shooting me? Oh great, I'm no longer in the clan.... and now dead.

Seems there is a glitch in the game. If you join the forest covenant a merchant appears. He has a ninja bodyguard. This bodyguard has a tendency to glitch and fall off a cliff, which for some reason counts as you killing him and kicks you out of the covenant!

So now I need 66,000 souls to seek absolution and get back in. Furthermore Pharis in my game decided to roll off a cliff, preventing me from getting his bow! Stupid suicidal npcs!

If any of you are aiming to join this covenant, then once you do head to Blightown as soon as possible. This moves the merchant + ninja there, preventing the glitch causing problems.

Any suggestions on how to quickly gring 66,000 souls?

Nullkigan
20-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Pretty annoyed at a glitch in the game.
So now I need 66,000 souls to seek absolution and get back in. Furthermore Pharis in my game decided to roll off a cliff, preventing me from getting his bow! Stupid suicidal npcs!

If you quit then re-enter the game, it should put the loot on the cliff he rolled off. If you've used a bonfire since you'll be out of luck though. At least, that's how it worked in Demon's Souls. Quit and re-enter is also the fastest way to use the trading crow.

The lizards in the depths are worth 200 souls each and are really easy to one-shot, making it even more profitable than the asylum. Try that? You'd only have to kill 330 of them :(

Jockie
20-10-2011, 12:05 PM
That's pretty bad, the Pharis thing happened to me as well on playthrough 1.

The best place to farm souls is actually the forest. Supposedly there's a glitch where you can make the two priests and the assassin fall of the cliff for quick souls. When I needed a little farm (i didn't really bother grinding until right at the end) I'd just fight my way through that area.

PvP actually worked a bit for me last night, I was in the forest fannying about in New Game + because with the silver serpent ring on NG+ the area gives you 20k souls for killing 4 guys. I got invaded, repeatedly. I think about 7 dudes came through in all, mostly in ones or twos. I think the Soul Level balance doesn't apply to the forest covenant however as they were dropping in 2-3 hits, I had to leave the area out of guilt as they really didn't stand a chance (netted me 70k souls however!)

desvergeh
20-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't normally exploit a glitch, but I feel it is kind of apt to use the forest hunters suicidal tendencies in this situation.

Kaira-
21-10-2011, 03:37 AM
Efficient night: made my Falchion +9, killed Quelaag, Bridge Dragon and Undead Dragon. Now, if only I could get an idea where to use all these souls.

groovychainsaw
21-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm just working through blighttown now, having done the darkroot basin (including the hydra and the golem afterwards...) and the first bit of the forest (including the flying boss - you know if you've fought him/her). The hydra's not too bad, keep your gear light, kill the golems first (often they'll die getting hit by the water attack), then SPRINT towards the hydra, watching out for the hidden shelf. Stay within about 5-10 yards of the shelf and it won't range attack you again. Just block with a good shield whenever it roars and it won't take any health off you. Then swing/spell at a head (only tricky bit, you have to free-aim, you can't lock on to the heads). Mostly needs patience, but thats all (same can be said for many of the bosses, of course ;-).

I'm at the bonfire in the swamps in blighttown right now, playing as a pyro. I actually really like the pyro's starting gear, the light weight and high fire/poison resistance is working out nicely for me, along with the grass shield (for stamina regen) and the handaxe (upgraded to magic). I'm quick enough that i can hit the zombies repeatedly without them hitting me back, and the fireball does about 250 damage with the upgraded version, which is pretty handy (although less so against the beasts in blighttown - i fear the boss will have similar fire immunity). I'm adding a selection of soul arrows to my repertoire to give me better ranged capabilities now, so grinding to buy those.

Probably my game of the year so far, even over portal 2, mostly because there's so much game in here it edges it out on content. I even prefer it to demon's souls. In some ways its easier, in others its harder.

Quick question - I've got havel's ring, but haven't used it yet - would you get any benefit from using it with an already light equip load?

Jockie
21-10-2011, 11:51 AM
It depends on your Endurance for Havels, if it's high enough then equipping it and light armour will up your speed a notch and give you the super quick roll (slightly different animation, so it's easy to tell apart - but it's the same speed as being naked essentially).

Kelron
21-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Still can't do the bloody gargoyles. Not enough strength to wield the Drake Sword in one hand so I keep having to switch my shield in and out to block attacks. Which usually fails to respond at a critical moment, I get caught in fire and can't escape. I've done it as a phantom with 2 other players, but there's never any player summons around when I need them so I'm using the NPCs. Tried it with the Knight Solaire and the Knight Lautrec together and almost did it, but I always end up getting caught in the flame attack of the 2nd gargoyle.

Kaira-
21-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Just talked to Alina in the forest to join her covenant. Unfortunately, I accidentally answered "No" to first question and now she pretty much tells me to go f**k myself everytime I talk to her. I guess I could absolve my sins(?) and try to join the Covenant, but I haven't mastered the technique of farming in the forest and I don't really like the idea of doing 76 runs in Undead Burg to gain enough souls to absolve my sins.

Nullkigan
21-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Still can't do the bloody gargoyles. Not enough strength to wield the Drake Sword in one hand so I keep having to switch my shield in and out to block attacks. Which usually fails to respond at a critical moment, I get caught in fire and can't escape. I've done it as a phantom with 2 other players, but there's never any player summons around when I need them so I'm using the NPCs. Tried it with the Knight Solaire and the Knight Lautrec together and almost did it, but I always end up getting caught in the flame attack of the 2nd gargoyle.

Go grind a bit, I guess? Every soul level you get increases your resistances, which will help even if you're not working on damage output or equipment minimum stats.

You've got access to firelink shrine through the lifts now, so you could either work outs on the Baldur Knights, or go back to the Asylum. I had similar problems with the gargoyles and eventually managed to get through by sheer luck (once one is dead it gets fairly easy).

Considering how easy the bosses in the Garden and Depths were, throwing a maneater equivalent at you so early is more than a little unfair :(

Jockie
21-10-2011, 05:25 PM
I found the Gargs really easy, with Solaire you just have to fight really aggressively and get the first one down as quickly as possible (I'm not bragging either, I HATED the Capra demon, others defeated him first time while I got extremely frustrated!).

Are you wearing really heavy armour Kelron? I can imagine them being tough if you havent got the mobility to get in and out quickly. The flame breath can usually be rolled away from, or blocked with a decent shield (remember to equip the one with the best fire resist stat).

It's true the Drake Sword makes things a whole lot easier though.

desvergeh
21-10-2011, 05:28 PM

What build you going for? Drake sword only calls for strength 16 (I think). Getting your strength up to that would be worth it in my opinion, as it will also help in using other weapons too. But can understand if you were going for a more magey build.

desvergeh
21-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Just talked to Alina in the forest to join her covenant. Unfortunately, I accidentally answered "No" to first question and now she pretty much tells me to go f**k myself everytime I talk to her. I guess I could absolve my sins(?) and try to join the Covenant, but I haven't mastered the technique of farming in the forest and I don't really like the idea of doing 76 runs in Undead Burg to gain enough souls to absolve my sins.

Yeah it was pretty confusing the way you had to answer Alvina.

Yes if you got the questions wrong you need to absolve your sins. Pretty pricey as it is 2,000 x SL. Really stupid that it gets screwed up so easily too.

Farming souls in the forest is relatively easy at least. There are some good youtube videos showing how to do it. What is the problem you are having?

Also bear in mind the issues I had with this covenant. You don't want to end up having to get your sins absolved twice.

CuriousOrange
21-10-2011, 05:49 PM
It's on my rental list simply because I've heard so many people love it. But all the grinding talk sounds awful, and every trailer I've seen looked abysmal too. So I'm actually quite excited to try it to see what's going on here.

Kaira-
21-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Farming souls in the forest is relatively easy at least. There are some good youtube videos showing how to do it. What is the problem you are having?

Nothing else except the non-targetable peeps keep killing me, and if not them, then I get assaulted by at least one non-targettable and the cleric and an axeman. Even with my Pyromancy +5 I can barely fight them, and I can't really lure them one at time. The cleric and axeman I can handle, but the bloody 'invisible' peeps hit hard and are hard to hit.

It's on my rental list simply because I've heard so many people love it. But all the grinding talk sounds awful, and every trailer I've seen looked abysmal too. So I'm actually quite excited to try it to see what's going on here.

You don't actually have to grind souls at any point of the game, I believe. At least I haven't had so far, but the amount of souls you need depends on many things - do you want to buy some weapon, level up your stats for some equipment and so on.

Jockie
21-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I didn't have to grind until right at the very end and that was for a very specific reason - I had a weapon that gets more powerful the more humanity you have (a kind of semi-rare currency of the game), so I went to an area I knew I could get what I needed and spend 20 minutes farming there. It's generally not a grind heavy game, but Desvergeh ran into an annoying glitch that meant he kind of had to. So basically don't let grinding put you off.

I'm rather fond of this trailer also - www.youtube.com/watch?v=psG3VxBR7jg

Kelron
21-10-2011, 10:41 PM
I think my biggest problem is my own (lack of) dexterity. I'm fairly lightly equipped and have no problem dodging when I get the controls right, but I keep getting my fingers tangled up and rolling off a roof or swinging at the air.

DigitalSignalX
22-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Why isn't there a 360 emulator for PC yet? Or is there and I just don't know about it?

laneford
22-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Was exploring the Ash Hollow last night (after a few beers). Secret Area! Yay. Many cool titanite items!!! YAY! Curse frogs! I can deal with these, I got through the depths ok without bein-

Got cursed.

Fuck.

laneford
22-10-2011, 01:57 PM

Not sure if you get souls as a white phantom, but if you do, maybe try co-oping outside Gaping Dragon? He's easy to kill and drops 25k souls if I recall...

Kaira-
22-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Not sure if you get souls as a white phantom, but if you do, maybe try co-oping outside Gaping Dragon? He's easy to kill and drops 25k souls if I recall...

Not sure either, but I farmed at the Darkroot Garden. I felt so cheap, it made me feel so dirty. :(
Also, I get my ass handed back to me while trying to PvP with the Cat Covenant Ring.

desvergeh
22-10-2011, 03:58 PM
I believe you do get souls as a white phantom, so helping out with bosses is a good way to farm.

The cat covenant ring does not recognise SL I believe. So sometimes you are up against uber people farming the area, sometimes against new people innocently exploring. Came up against a mist-ring wearing, lightning weapon wielding farmer earlier, I was way outclassed.

Kaira-
24-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Defeated Sonny & Cher today by help of someone. Thanks, whoever you were.

Kelron
24-10-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm making slow progress, but I've now run up against bosses in every direction and no one wants to summon me so I have no humanity. Still trying to take on the Gargoyles but I might give up for now and have a go at the Capra demon.

desvergeh
25-10-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm making slow progress, but I've now run up against bosses in every direction and no one wants to summon me so I have no humanity. Still trying to take on the Gargoyles but I might give up for now and have a go at the Capra demon.

I believe you can get humanity for killing lots of monsters without resting at a bonfire. So if you can happily kill all the monsters in undead burg and undead parish you could give that a try to get some humanity.

desvergeh
26-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Sen's Fortress done, Iron Golem dead. Onto Anor Londo!

Found the fortress quite frustrating. Not that it was too hard, I just kept screwing up in stupid ways and getting myself killed.

Nullkigan
26-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I'm in the same place now. I cashed in all my souls for titanite (I had a good 50k in soul items, which is a definite change from Demon's Souls!) and I'm now carrying around +5 div claymore, +3 lightning spear, +10 zweihander/longsword, +3 astora, +6 hollow shield/eagle shield, +3-5 armour and have a couple of spells from each school.

The hardest part of the Fortress was probably running between the blades, I got knocked off several times, especially on the dash ones. Fortunately I've got the shortcut unlocked now. With the Spear, I can also take on just about all the mobs with impunity, too. It was touch and go with the zweihander as if I missed I was fucked, but if I hit I could chain-flatten my target. No such luck with the Anor Londo statues.

laneford
26-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Sen's Fortress done, Iron Golem dead. Onto Anor Londo!

Found the fortress quite frustrating. Not that it was too hard, I just kept screwing up in stupid ways and getting myself killed.

This is exactly where I am. Got through Anor Londo, and the painted world of aramisbut then chickened out before the boss.

I've gone back to Firelink, going to explore the bit past the skeletons and maybe take another crack at the ghosts before I go back to Anor and that big door.

Kaira-
27-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Just checked my character's play time. 71 hours and counting. And I haven't even got a single Lord's Soul. Oh well. I've just had too much fun being invaded by the Blades of Darkmoon (yes, I killed Amazing Chest Ahead-illusion) and assisting people with Timon & Bumba, Sonny & Cher, Penn & Teller, whatever you want to call those two.

Jockie
27-10-2011, 09:29 AM
The Multi-players spottiness has pretty much caused me to stop playing. At times it's fine and great and I can connect to everyone and other times I don't even get to see messages.

Once silly season in gaming is over and there's not much to play, I'll start again and hopefully by then the 360 version will be patched and the online will be a bit more reliable.

It's a shame the mp is so patchy, I just managed to join the Dark Wraith Covenant after taking out a particularly nasty boss on NG+ (who weirdly, was the easiest boss in the first play-through). Was looking forward to some invasions, but they rarely seem to work.

Kaira-
27-10-2011, 12:20 PM
The Multi-players spottiness has pretty much caused me to stop playing. At times it's fine and great and I can connect to everyone and other times I don't even get to see messages.

Odd, I haven't had such problems (well, except it sometimes takes forever to get summoned, but I guess there just aren't that many people hanging at Anor Londo SL49 anymore). On the other hand, PvP-balance is utterly bonkers - Wrath of Gods is utterly overpowered against anyone who can't use magic, Ring of Fog is so cheesy that it's not even funny, elemental weapons wipe the floor with scaling and Tranquil Walk of Peace... don't even get me started on that one.
[Edit]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yw0wHQx9A
This is probably the best video inspired by Dark Souls.

laneford
03-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Apparently patch is incoming... (http://uk.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28923342/dark-souls---incoming-souls-patch-maybe-today)

Magic Changes:
-Pyro Glove nerfed from 270 to 230.
-You can see resonance signs now.
-Vow of Silence range increased.
-Sorcery spell damage as a whole was -slightly buffed, but Homing Soul Mass and other pursuit ****spells were nerfed.
-Magic Shield duration lowered to ~11 seconds.
-Strong Magic Shield duration lowered to ~11 seconds. Invincibility removed. -Effect on Stamina drastically reduced.
-Tranquil Walk of Peace and other Slow duration reduced to ~10 secs. Effect supposedly changed from 100% encumberance to 50%. Rolling possible if your equip burden is lowered. Slowness is similar to swamp effect.
-Iron Flesh effectiveness nerfed.

Status Changes:
Base Equipment Burden increased (~6-10 points)
Humanity Item drop rate increased from 10 to 210
Medium roll recovery faster? (unclear and unconfirmed)
Defensive bonuses gained via Humanity reduced. Other defensive bonuses remain unchanged.
Item discovery gained via Humanity improved. Capped at 20.

Equipment Changes:
-Reported some weapon scaling gets improved at higher normal upgrades (+15 uchi dex scaling goes to A)
-Some scaling reported as changing from A to S with higher upgrades
-Normal upgrade path buffed by ~10%
-Lightning path nerfed slightly (~5%)

Specific Gear Changes:
-Grant scaling changed to Strength:B and Faith:A
-Gold-hemmed nerfed, still can't be upgraded.
-Dust skirt nerfed hard (streamlined to match the other pieces).
-Silver Knights, Sun, Hollow Soldier's Shield and other medium shield stability nerfed to ~70 at max upgrades to improve Great Shield viability.
-Crystal Ring Shield scaling drastically nerfed. Does around ~200 +-50
-Dragon Greatsword buffed from 360 to 390.
-Silver Knight's Sword lightning effect removed. Now enchantable.
Combat Changes:
-Lock-on acquisition range increased.
-Lock-on changing/switching got easier (more responsive).

-Ring of Fog users can now be locked on.

PVE Changes:
-Overall increase in souls gained (~2-2.5 times more)
-Damage reduced on some mobs?
-HP lowered on some mobs?
-Reduced acquisition range on normal enemies.
-Supposedly reduced poise on some enemies.
-Bosses drop Humanity and Homeward Bones
-Ghosts and Skeletons give souls now.
-Twinkling Titanite drop rate improved.
-Pyromancers in Catacombs drop Skull Lanterns.
-Darkwraiths in New Londo drop Dark Hand.

Online Changes:
-You can see resonance signs.
-Some invasion restrictions possibly changed? Darkwraith upperlimit confirmed as unchanged.
-Amount of souls the Master of the game gains changed.
-Cracked Eye Orbs no longer get consumed on failure. Confirmed
-You can hit Select to rate messages.

Covenant Changes:
-Covenant Material drop rate improved.
-Lowered requirements for Sunbro covenenant (requirements moved from 50 to 25. 3/4 assists should do the trick)

Other Changes:
-Official Guide nerfed.
-Forest Hunter NPC farming remains unchanged.
-Dark Anor Londo NPC farming remains unchanged.

Merchant stock updates:
-Male Undead Merchant: Also sells bottomless box
-Female Undead Merchant: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts
-Andrei: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts
-Domnhal of Xena: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts, Master Key (5000)
-Giant Blacksmith (Fapsmith): Sells Arrows / Crossbolts, Small Titanite Shards, Large Tit Shards, Twinkling (8000 per, inf amount), Green Shards, Repair box, upgrade boxes
-Vamos: Arrows / Crossbolts, Small Tit, Large tit, Repair box / upgrade boxes
-Inglwood: Sells Transient Curses
Fixes:
-Fixed some freeze issues
-Lvl up screen displays souls needed properly now
-Dragon-head glitch, snuggly, and magic shield glitches fixed.
-Fixed a bug where your inputs come out 1 second later.
-Fixed a bug where the second solaire event wont progress.
-Fixed a bug where feeding frampt a titanite stone then going over 99 resulted in having zero.
-Fixed some specific map areas where you'd get stuck or be unable to progress.
-Changed some english subtitles on the overseas port.
http://pastebin.com/HxMjdaBx
[/QUOTE]

Jockie
03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Wow, lots of changes there and they sound like they'll make the game a shedload easier to me. More souls, tonnes more humanity, Twinkling Titanite for purchasing. Nerfs on enemies.

Too many other games right now for a second playthrough of DS for me, but it'll be very interesting to see how these patches affect the game. Surprised Quelaags Fury Sword isn't being nerfed mind, It's still the most powerful weapon I have (halfway through or thereabouts on NG+) and I had it maxxed well before the end of my first run-through.

Kaira-
03-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Thank to heavens for making twinkling available from merchants. Farming it from those clams is not my definition of fun.

Kaira-
05-12-2011, 04:49 AM
Apologies for necrobumbing and double-posting, but anyway. Finally defeated Four Kings. They gave me more headache than Ornstein and Smough, and even killed my will to play the whole game for three weeks, but upgrading Zweihander to Lightning Zweihander nicely solved the fight. Any recommendations for some Divine-weapon for DEX-builds, since I guess I'll have to pay a visit to Catacombs soon.

Nullkigan
05-12-2011, 11:08 AM
A whip, spear or estoc? The Whip is pretty hilarious, especially when you're dungeon-running. The spears and estoc (inc rapiers) can be used from behind a shield, which is great for cautiously scoping out new areas.

Kaira-
05-12-2011, 05:59 PM
A whip, spear or estoc? The Whip is pretty hilarious, especially when you're dungeon-running. The spears and estoc (inc rapiers) can be used from behind a shield, which is great for cautiously scoping out new areas.

I was thinkin more about, say, scimitar or something akin to that, since I don't really like spears that much. Estoc... hmm, yeah, that might be a good one. I like the way it works. Yeah, going to try that, cheers.

laneford
05-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm a dex build and did the catacombs without too many issues without a divine weapon, (used Queelags furysword I think), basically, CHARGE at the necromancers and kill them, (even if you end up dying) as they don't respawn, then skellies will die to anything.

Remember that most of the upgrades (divine, magic etc.) seem to neuter stat scaling quite a bit, so I have a magic scimitar that doesn't scale that well with dex, but scales better now with int.

Scimitar/Falchion is tasty though, as is the Iaito (blighttown) Uchigatana, or Washing Pole (you can get from the forest covenant dude if you join them, he's at the bottom of the waterwheel place)

Jockie
09-12-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm a dex build and did the catacombs without too many issues without a divine weapon, (used Queelags furysword I think), basically, CHARGE at the necromancers and kill them, (even if you end up dying) as they don't respawn, then skellies will die to anything.

Remember that most of the upgrades (divine, magic etc.) seem to neuter stat scaling quite a bit, so I have a magic scimitar that doesn't scale that well with dex, but scales better now with int.

Scimitar/Falchion is tasty though, as is the Iaito (blighttown) Uchigatana, or Washing Pole (you can get from the forest covenant dude if you join them, he's at the bottom of the waterwheel place)

My Lightning Iaito is probably my favourite weapon, for when I'm tired of using the Furysword. You can get a 'free' Katana-esque weapon right near the beginning of the game if you kill the Skeleton merchant in Undead Burg. In fact if you're planning to do NG+, it's generally worth killing any NPCs you can before you finish the game as they drop some decent stuff.

I rather like the patch changes, it allows you to experiment with upgrading other kinds of gear and the multi-player stuff actually works now. I ran the catacombs with a Divine Great Club last night on my newer character. The ludicrously large weapons that require high strength are bobbins for pvp because you'll never hit anyone without parry or backstab, but they're lot of fun.

laneford
10-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah I'm really enjoying the patch. Right now I'm attempting to close out NG+, even at SL110 there's lots of invasions, co-op, the world seems a lot more fuller and more exciting.

Must tear away from loyal dex based jack of all trades character and try and make some super strong freak person to use all those hundreds of STR>26 weapons I can't use.

Also must make a Mage character.

Also a faith l one.

I'm never going to stop am I?

Bhazor
06-01-2012, 03:00 PM
As per the recent article asking for a show of interest I've created a petition for Dark Souls PC. Lets bring hardcore RPGs back home.

http://www.change.org/petitions/namco-bandai-and-from-software-release-a-pc-port-of-dark-souls

Jockie
08-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Found this pretty decent DS pvp video in case anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicNameBro#p/u/1/g9OmAVZOd9M

Also - another petition with 40k signatures - http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC

Drinking with Skeletons
11-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Got this game for my new PS3 over Christmas. Good God but it is hard. Not sure I like it overall because of that, but there's some stuff that's appealing. I decided to buy the official guide--even though I'm sure it's got some outdated info due to patches--just to have a handy way of approaching it. Haven't wanted an at-hand guide since Final Fantasy XII.

Everyone else seems to like it, and I'm not going to declare defeat until I'm sure that I just don't have what it takes to enjoy it. Hopefully it won't actually kill me dead before then.

db1331
11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Got this game for my new PS3 over Christmas. Good God but it is hard. Not sure I like it overall because of that, but there's some stuff that's appealing. I decided to buy the official guide--even though I'm sure it's got some outdated info due to patches--just to have a handy way of approaching it. Haven't wanted an at-hand guide since Final Fantasy XII.

Everyone else seems to like it, and I'm not going to declare defeat until I'm sure that I just don't have what it takes to enjoy it. Hopefully it won't actually kill me dead before then.

What class are you playing? If you are a complete newbie to the series, you should play a class with some ranged ability. A good offensive spell like Soul Arrow can go a really long way into helping you through the early bits of the game, as you can kill a lot of things before they get close enough to hit you.

By all means though, just stick with it! I've found that most times when I get stuck on something, it's because I'm doing something the completely wrong way. Once I figure out the right way to do it, and show a little patience, I get by and it feels very rewarding.

Drinking with Skeletons
11-01-2012, 06:38 PM
I've tried, in order, Pyromancer, Wanderer (I think? Archer guy?), and Sorceror. The Sorceror is definitely a lot better, but I wish I could find someone to sell me some more spells; I'd gladly grind the entrance to Undead Burg just to get a few more shots.

The farthest I've gotten is the dragon at the bridge, who--frankly--is kind of unfair. The Taurus Demon wasn't unfair, even though he was a heavy hitter and had an archer primed to snipe you if you didn't already know he was there. The dragon doesn't give any indication that it's going to show up or what it's going to do and can basically insta-kill you with fire. I don't mind a hard boss, but damn, that's cold.

By-the-by, anyone who likes Dark/Demon's Souls should at least try Monster Hunter if they haven't already. It's not nearly as hard, though it is still quite challenging in the late game and has a similar keep-tackling-it-until-you-succeed mentality. Plus a heavy crafting component!

db1331
11-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Yea the dragon killed me my first time too. I was feeling great after beating the Taurus Demon, took a couple steps onto the bridge, and then, "What's that sound? Is that wings beating?", then, instant death. The trick is to run at a dead sprint down the right side of the bridge. If you can get to the stairs there before your stamina bar runs out, you can open a shortcut back to your bonfire, and from there you can go on adventuring/dying.