PDA

View Full Version : EA sues EA. Over negative ionized wristbands.

Vexing Vision
05-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Hilarity ensues.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37686/EA_Sues_EA.php

Nalano
05-10-2011, 01:10 AM
What is a wristband with "negative ions" and infused with "volcanic ash" supposed to do, anyway?

Other than make you look like an ass, that is.

Althea
05-10-2011, 01:55 AM
I expect a lot of anti-Electronic Arts people will go "ZOMG EA U SUKKK" with this, but I'm on their side. That is a bit too close for comfort and at a distance (Or with panning on TV at say a professional event) I can see the logos being confused.

icupnimpn2
05-10-2011, 03:26 AM
What is a wristband with "negative ions" and infused with "volcanic ash" supposed to do, anyway?

No, it has "negative ions" infused with harvested volcanic ash. The ions are infused with ash. The ions are.

Nevermind that ions are charged atoms and molecules. How do you infuse a molecule with anything?

From Merriam-Webster:
Definition of INFUSE

transitive verb

a : to cause to be permeated with something (as a principle or quality) that alters usually for the better <infuse the team with confidence>
b : introduce, insinuate <a new spirit was infused into American art — American Guide Series: New York>

: inspire, animate <the sense of purpose that infuses scientific research>

: to steep in liquid (as water) without boiling so as to extract the soluble constituents or principles

: to administer or inject by infusion <stem cells were infused into the patient>
— in·fus·er noun

none of it works even a little

Nalano
05-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Maybe they should have simply said, "we got some magic armbands, yo."

Man Raised By Puffins
05-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Other than make you look like an ass, that is.
At least these magic wristband pedlars have put some effort in, unlike the last one to hit the big time which was simply a rubber band with a hologram stuck to it to "enhance chi flow" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12135402).

Drake Sigar
05-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Just about everything, short of curing cancer.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d45D7UHaqN4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Vexing Vision
05-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Of course, the only solution is to filter out the nuclear electricty to provide happy Tachyons that generate healthy light. http://blogs.oracle.com/templedf/entry/it_s_the_tachyon_signature

Seriously though - EA (the game company) is suing EA (the fitness company) for selling real-life wristbands to real-life people IN IMITATION of the rendered wristbands on rendered people. Doesn't this strike anyone else as utterly nuts?

Xercies
05-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Do you know what, science is really supposed to stop all these bullshit snake oil companies but actually they seem to increase it by these companies bringing out some bullshit pseudo science and selling it to people.

thegooseking
05-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Seriously though - EA (the game company) is suing EA (the fitness company) for selling real-life wristbands to real-life people IN IMITATION of the rendered wristbands on rendered people. Doesn't this strike anyone else as utterly nuts?

It's actually a lot less interesting (but more sense-making) than that. Energy Armor just has a similar logo to EA, and (claim EA) advertise their products in a similar way.

President Weasel
05-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Hooray for EA? Again?
I have confusing feelings here, but the overriding one is the satisfaction of seeing at least one set of snake oil peddlers getting hounded out of town. Negative ions infused with harvested volcanic ash, forsooth.

Althea
05-10-2011, 12:16 PM
What? That's not what's going on at all. EA are suing this fitness company because their logo is arguably too close to infringing on their trademarks.

It's nothing to do with the wristbands themselves, it doesn't matter whether they're crap or they work, it's to do with the logo.

Vexing Vision
05-10-2011, 12:28 PM
In a complaint filed recently, Electronic Arts said that Energy Armor advertises its health and fitness products by associating them with sports and professional athletes, "which is similar to how Electronic Arts advertises and markets its EA Sports products," the complaint says.

I'll grant them the similarities of logos (though I'll honestly find them discerning enough, but the colours are definitely too close), but the claim that EA (the ash-ionizers) makes similar advertising to EA's (the game people) sport games by showing professional sport person wearing wristbands boggles my mind.

jezcentral
05-10-2011, 12:45 PM
It's supposed to make you part with your money. Any further effects will be a statictical fluke and added to the testimonial page.