PDA

View Full Version : RIP Steve Jobs.

cosmicolor
06-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple and probably the face of it to a lot of people has up and died. He might have gotten a lot of hate over the years, but he sure did being a lot to Apple, and to the lives of many who had used Macs and the various iThings Apple have released.

A moment of nerd respect is called for.

Apple's site's statement on the death (http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/).

MD!
06-10-2011, 01:07 AM
Too young. :(
I hope his family is okay.

frenz0rz
06-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Just saw this and, as you do, assumed it was a hoax. Then I followed it up and realised it wasnt.

I then proceeded to think "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?", followed by "Good lord".

So yeah. Bloody hell. Didnt see that one coming.

cosmicolor
06-10-2011, 01:10 AM
I suppose him stepping down as CEO of Apple makes even more sad sense now. Dude probably knew his time was up.

Maykael
06-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Fuck you, cancer! Too damn young.

TillEulenspiegel
06-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Wow. I know he's been sick for a long time, I know that a lot of people feared the worst when he stepped down, but it's still so soon.

Going to miss his unique influence on the industry. There's no way Apple will be the same in the future.

soldant
06-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Pancreatic cancer? Foregone conclusion that he was going to die, once you get that it's more or less game over, your chances of making it out alive aren't good. I kind of figured he was terminal based on his appearances and bits of news floating around, especially given his PMHx of cancer. Makes some of his keynote speeches all the more remarkable.

Love or hate Apple, Jobs at least had a vision and carried it. I might not always have agreed with that vision, but at least it was something.

The JG Man
06-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Regardless of what he did with Apple which, despite fondness either way, was pretty incredible, he did also fund Pixar enough to guarantee their initial growth. Clearly had an eye for what works well.

A shame he died so young.

TillEulenspiegel
06-10-2011, 02:20 AM
Apple has been a revolutionary leader in consumer electronics for the past decade - in hardware design, in user interfaces, etc. They set high standards. The iPhone caused a seismic shift in the smartphone industry. The iPad finally popularized tablet devices, something Microsoft had been trying to do since the mid 90s. Very few, if any tech companies have done anything of the sort in recent years. And I think Jobs' leadership was a big part of that.

I also love him as a speaker. He's incredibly compelling even when he's bullshitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmG9jzCHtSQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0SVBCJqLs

TailSwallower
06-10-2011, 02:46 AM
I'm not an iPerson at all, but Steve Jobs was a true visionary. Imagine how different things would be without his influence on modern technology.

archonsod
06-10-2011, 02:55 AM
I heard Apple had killed him off so they could release Steve Jobs v2.0 next month.

Nalano
06-10-2011, 03:50 AM
I heard Apple had killed him off so they could release Steve Jobs v2.0 next month.

Too soon!

But really, all I hope is they they don't turn him into a patron saint of Hipsterdom.

sinister agent
06-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Too soon!

But really, all I hope is they they don't turn him into a patron saint of Hipsterdom.

Bit late for hope.

Althea
06-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Well, I must say I'm a little saddened at least, simply because I think another person dying - especially so quickly after just stepping down - is quite a sad thing. It's only been about a month or two since he stepped down, and now he's gone. That's a bit of a shock. He wasn't perfect - but who is? He had a passion for his products and I think Apple's current success, for better or for worse, owes a lot to Steve.

At the end of the day, regardless of what you think of him or Apple, a man died relatively young from a condition which didn't give him much of a chance.

My thoughts are with his family.

Tei
06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
He revolutioned computers, music and movies. Computing more than once.
He will be missed and we don't see anyone or anything like him.

Thanks mate for all your hard work :I

Wooly Wugga Wugga
06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
The guy certainly knew his consumer electronics.

Xercies
06-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Very Revolutionary Man for technology! He will definitely be missed and I don't really know how Apple can really survive without him. He was pretty much the reason for their success.

Kadayi
06-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I can't say I was a huge fan of his aggressive bashing of MS in his keynotes. Apple being principally a hardware vendor with an OS, Vs MS who are very much software (360 aside), however the man indelibly changed the technological landscape across the board. Godspeed Steve.

Stellar Duck
06-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Too soon!

Too Zune, more like it.

A sad bit of news though.

Megagun
06-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Although I've never been a fan of Steve Jobs or Apple products, I still think it's sad that he has passed away. I can't imagine that this will be anything other than a turning point for the worse for Apple, precisely because he has been such an important character for the company (I'm willing to make the statement that he's been the most important CEO for a well-known company in the past few years). Apple have been a very decent competitor to other companies these past few years, and have pushed technology ahead (together with their competitors) exactly due to this fierce competition.

westyfield
06-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm not an iPerson at all, but Steve Jobs was a true visionary. Imagine how different things would be without his influence on modern technology.

I agree. He will be missed, my condolences to his family and friends.

Too soon!

http://i.imgur.com/0Vv1j.jpg

Nalano
06-10-2011, 11:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0Vv1j.jpg

Aren't viruses a sign of the predominance of the platform?

sinister agent
06-10-2011, 11:51 PM

That's what I told my ex.

TillEulenspiegel
06-10-2011, 11:53 PM
There's a reason viruses and worms are practically unheard of today (on any platform) compared to the 90s/early 2000s, and it isn't because of magic fairy dust. Windows used to be terrible. Really truly awful at security.

Now you usually have to trick the user into doing something particularly stupid, rather than exploiting IE or Outlook or an open port.

Kadayi
07-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Although I've never been a fan of Steve Jobs or Apple products, I still think it's sad that he has passed away. I can't imagine that this will be anything other than a turning point for the worse for Apple, precisely because he has been such an important character for the company (I'm willing to make the statement that he's been the most important CEO for a well-known company in the past few years). Apple have been a very decent competitor to other companies these past few years, and have pushed technology ahead (together with their competitors) exactly due to this fierce competition.

Yeah this is the big question really. Apple kind of need a technology visionary to push them, and 'think different', but generally there's normally only one person who does that, because anyone else with the same attitude generally leaves and sets up their own firm. The question is whether his replacement is a man of vision, or simply a good caretaker.

soldant
07-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Yeah this is the big question really. Apple kind of need a technology visionary to push them, and 'think different', but generally there's normally only one person who does that, because anyone else with the same attitude generally leaves and sets up their own firm. The question is whether his replacement is a man of vision, or simply a good caretaker.
Probably neither. Apple's iPhone/iPad sector is strong enough to stand on its own merits, but in terms of laptops the only real thing they've got going for them is the form factor. Their desktops are worse. These parts of Apple's market are namely about brand and image, which is how they hold on in a market dominated by Microsoft and Windows. I don't think that anybody can adequately replace Jobs, and I have a feeling that Apple might have to change as a result.

Bilbo1981
07-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm really anti Apple but this is sad to lose someone like him. I will remember him for wearing jeans, trainers and a t-shirt to meetings full of suits :)

Donjo
07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
<a href="http://scatter.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/a-hero-of-our-time/" title="A hero of our time.">A hero of our time.</a>

TillEulenspiegel
07-10-2011, 01:37 PM
A hero of our time. (http://scatter.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/a-hero-of-our-time/)
Hexane poisoning? Really? Unless you're drinking it or huffing it, I can't imagine the awful handling processes that would give you enough exposure to be harmful. I've worked with far more toxic chemicals in undergrad university labs, and most of my brain cells are still intact. Gloves and proper ventilation should be standard anywhere.

I'm just saying, if there are shitty working conditions in the factory, that's a big problem. But don't blame the chemical - that's a total red herring. There's absolutely nothing inherently wrong with choosing to use hexane. Anything can be used safely. Well, I'd avoid dimethylmercury.

Zephro
07-10-2011, 03:41 PM
It is sad that someone died so young and condolences to his family and friends.

But this cult like reaction is getting sick. If it were Bill Gates who was dead there wouldn't be anything like this out pouring despite the fact that Gates gave billions to worthwhile causes and charities unlike Jobs. People really need to get a grip.

tomeoftom
07-10-2011, 03:46 PM
<a href="http://scatter.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/a-hero-of-our-time/" title="A hero of our time.">A hero of our time.</a>

Thanks, Don.

Also, guys:

Diarrhea remains in the second leading cause of death among children under five globally. Nearly one in five child deaths about 1.5 million each year is due to diarrhea. It kills more young children than AIDS, malaria and measles combined. - Water.org. Let's not mourn the visionary too much, yeah?

redox
08-10-2011, 03:15 AM
employee #40

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37762/Steve_Jobs_Atari_Employee_Number_40.php

That was pretty interesting.

R-F
08-10-2011, 09:15 AM
The Metro actually compared Jobs to Ford and Edison, which I found interesting because they were brilliant businessmen and thuglords but little else. I don't know how people can say Jobs is a "visionary" or "a hero of our time" when his ruthlessly efficient business practices (which are now, similar to Ford and Edison, being copied by other businesses) have led to a decline in the lifestyles of the tens of (maybe hundreds of, if you count their families and children) thousands of people who work for Apple in China. This isn't including the attempts at making Apple products their own locked system, the perfection of the post-warranty breakdown (and, seriously, Apple products are amazing at this) and the people who were employed in America who were harrassed and (at times) physically assaulted by Jobs (of which there WERE news articles, but they all conveniently disappeared about two years ago, right about the time his Wikipedia page started to get seriously edited).

But, hey. If we've been reduced to the point where all we expect off "visionaries" is a bit of a better user interface and little else, then sure. Worship this bastard.

For me, though? I'm glad he's dead, he's an example of one of the worst cancers in the capitalist world.

Xercies
08-10-2011, 12:05 PM
I think Steve Jobs was one of those rare people that had a Charisma field, the way he talked could just get people to do anything. He didn't really make the Ipad he just got people to make it for him. Which is impressive.

Nalano
08-10-2011, 03:27 PM
The Metro actually compared Jobs to Ford and Edison, which I found interesting because they were brilliant businessmen and thuglords but little else.

Steve Jobs was an excellent marketer and effective CEO, but I'm not in the business of worshiping marketers or CEOs.

creative42
09-10-2011, 09:32 PM
My condolences to his family and friends.

Steve Jobs managed to do things with Apple products that I always wished Commodore (and Escom) could have done with the Amiga brand.

Neweht
13-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Rest In Peace - The guy made a huge impact on the whole industry.

Donjo
13-10-2011, 11:14 PM
<a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/12/valves-newell-its-ominous-that-open-platforms-are-less-popular-apple-wrong-philosophically/">Valve’s Newell: It’s “ominous” that open platforms are less popular, Apple “wrong” philosophically</a>

Kaira-
13-10-2011, 11:29 PM
<a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/12/valves-newell-its-ominous-that-open-platforms-are-less-popular-apple-wrong-philosophically/">Valve’s Newell: It’s “ominous” that open platforms are less popular, Apple “wrong” philosophically</a>

I feel there's something ironic to be said here, but I do agree. As well as I do with <a href="http://stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html#06_October_2011_(Steve_Jobs)">Stallman</a> (to some extent), with whom I rarely agree:

Steve Jobs, the pioneer of the computer as a jail made cool, designed to sever fools from their freedom, has died.

As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor Daley, "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone." Nobody deserves to have to die - not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence on people's computing.

Unfortunately, that influence continues despite his absence. We can only hope his successors, as they attempt to carry on his legacy, will be less effective.

Nalano
14-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Valve’s Newell: It’s “ominous” that open platforms are less popular, Apple “wrong” philosophically (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/12/valves-newell-its-ominous-that-open-platforms-are-less-popular-apple-wrong-philosophically/)

Holy crapping shit, that sums up my thoughts on the matter perfectly.

Nice find.