PDA

View Full Version : Opera Browser - anyone using it?

BillButNotBen
06-10-2011, 05:21 PM
After using firefox for years I've gotten fed up with it's recent sluggishness, annoying daily updates that break my extensions, and generally becoming annoying.

I tried chrome - and it has some nice features, but if i open more than 15 tabs it crawls like a very very very slow slug.

Yet opera seems to run really responsively with 20-30 tabs open and have some nice built in features. But it has minimal extensions right now... and i hear some sites don't work well with it.

Anyone using Opera and care to comment on whether there are any drawbacks or any sites that don't work?

Wolfenswan
06-10-2011, 05:36 PM
I have no experience with Opera but I've been using the chromium fork SRWare Iron (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php) for a while. It's faster than Chrome and I never experienced any slowdowns even with loads of tabs. All regular chrome extensions are compatible, only downside is that there's no auto update so you have to check back once in a while.

Vexing Vision
06-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Opera is my main browser both at work and at home, because I do tend to have at least 10 windows (I don't do tabs, I overlap 'em so I can see in the corners of my eyes if something flickers - yeah, I know) open simultaneously. I love mouse gestures (I know there's apps for that) and the way Opera handles resources. It grabs them for processing when there's resources to spare, and releases them very, very quickly.

I do have issues with a few sites. Google+ is a main offender. But since Google now merges accounts anyway I use an instance of Chrome for emails and G+ stuff and webpages that require an Internet Explorer to click on things (fucking Korean developers, seriously), and Opera for everything else.

BillButNotBen
07-10-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't get why other browsers seem to chug to much when opera is smooth as silk with more tabs open (and lots more out of the box features included).

Yet the small install base of opera means I've seen quite a few "but it doesn't work in opera" posts around the web, and I'm reluctant to move everything over if i'm going to be constantly running into problems and having to launch alternative browsers.

It's a quandary...

Shark
07-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I use Opera both on my Android and PC and love it.
Only problem I had so far was GreenManGaming which is totally messed up.
Extensions, well it already has what I need.

sabrage
07-10-2011, 08:14 PM
I've been having a really annoying issue with Chrome lately where underlying windows (like the Steam client) "bleed" through my browser, obscuring the webpage I'm viewing. Apparently a lot of people have been having the same issue for the last month or so (I believe it is an XP-only issue) so I'm going to be switching over to Opera as my browser of choice. I'm tired of waiting for Google to solve this issue, which only started recently. (I also happened to format my computer recently; the issue persisted both before and after the format)

Tams80
28-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Opera is my main browser. When a webpage doesn't work, I just use Internet Explorer, but this rarely happens (damn online banking .).

It does seem to take up a lot of RAM, but I looked this up and apparently it will happily release it if it is not needed. I've found this to be true almost all the time, but did get the occasional hang ups when I only had 2GB RAM installed (had to kill the Opera task). With 4GB RAM I've never had this problem, but that's probably because of the spare RAM. Most computers come with 4GB RAM anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

The extensions and widgets for Opera are mostly useful; not much rubbish, though aren't that many. That said, many of features other browsers require extensions for are built into Opera (though can still be turned off). Mouse gestures, voice commands, bookmark syncing (Opera link - also covers mobiles) are all included. Opera Unite is very good (easy VPN, note sharing etc.) and of course there is the Speed Dial.

Sure, some extensions are missing (Zotero *cough*, though referencing isn't that hard anyway .), it can be unstable and some sites don't work properly with it, but overall Opera is a great browser. Sorry for the wall of text.

icupnimpn2
29-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Strongly considering using Opera for day-to-day browsing once I move to a slow DSL connection. The Opera Turbo feature could be a lifesaver in that case. Opera browser worked pretty well on my old Android phone, which was on Nextel's iDEN network and had a data transmission rate like molasses (or treacle, whatever that is). Opera's trick is to do some additional compression and then serve you the page. Will try it out and compare to Chrome for sites like RPS.

Nova
29-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Opera user since version 6. I also use the integrated mail client.
Occasionally it happens that a site doesn't work, but since even the IE is more and more standard compliant not very often.
The custom "Open in FireFox" button (http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons#webdev) (or another Browser) is useful in such cases.