PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 3 playthrough looks...insane.

Basilicus
07-06-2011, 03:22 AM
IGN link. Might be better ones:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/06/e3-2011-far-cry-3-gameplay-demo?objectid=53492

This looks like everything I want it to be. Ubisoft Montreal is really making a vie for my favorite developer these last few years.

Dirtyboy
07-06-2011, 03:31 AM
I was quite happy to see Far Cry 3. One of the things I liked is how the civilians are in the middle of the combat. Hopefully see more of the game the next few days.

Baris
07-06-2011, 04:30 AM
The part where he commandeers the chopper confused me, I can't tell whether it's scripted or whether they have proper VA and such for dynamic situations like that.

The Innocent
07-06-2011, 05:18 AM
With the first game being based slightly on The Island of Dr Moreau and the second on Heart of Darkness, I'm hoping that this game takes a few hints from The Most Dangerous Game. It looks as though it could be working with similar themes. Loved the first two games, and that gameplay looks quite good, so here's to hoping!

Oak
07-06-2011, 05:21 AM
I'm staying open-minded about the game, but this left me a little cold.

Mistabashi
07-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Aye, the part the video shows is pretty much 100% scripted, which isn't really want I want to see from the game. Of course, these kind of first look gameplay traillers tend to use this kind of footage, so it's no surprise. Disappointed that they're going back to the same theme of antagonist philosophising on the nature of war, that got really grating in the second one. Not that I'm expecting any kind of worthwhile storyline from a Far Cry game though, I just hope they can fix-up some of the flaws of the FC2 format and deliver something that isn't horribly repetetive this time.

Also, it's a bit of a shame that they're going back to a tropical island, I really liked the more unique African setting.

Led Zeppelin
07-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Looks awesome

winterwolves
07-06-2011, 01:56 PM
yes Ubisoft are doing some of the best games lately. Now that they got out of the crazy "always online" DRM are probably my favorite development software house :)

Henke
07-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Disappointed that they're going back to the same theme of antagonist philosophising on the nature of war
My favourite thing about that video was "Boss". Ok, he keeps repeating his catch phrase too much but otherwise he seems like the most interesting videogame baddie in a good while.

Rii
07-06-2011, 02:52 PM
It does? I got bored and tuned out halfway through. =/

Joseph
07-06-2011, 06:48 PM
In the vid that RPS posted the guy talking about the game says something like "We don't want to punish the player, so if they pick up a weapon, they're going to be successful with it". This got my eye twitching as it sounded painfully like "You press a button, something awesome's going to happen!".
Hopefully there'll be difficulty modes where you need to plan a little before you dive right into a firefight

Rond
07-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Now that they got out of the crazy "always online" DRM are probably my favorite development software house :)
I think the ultimate evil today is video ads ahead of streamed videos.

Jockie
07-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I wonder if every time you meet that bad guy he starts with "Did I ever tell you..." because that got old in the three times we saw it there. if he'd done it twice, it would have been quite clever (once during first meeting, once at the end), but three times is a game going "Look at me, LOOK AT MEEEE!" We get it.

Other than that it all looked quite pretty and entertaining, honestly I'd quite happily replay farcry 2 in a new setting, if they got rid of the respawning enemy checkpoints, weapon degradation and other gameplay features that served to annoy rather than engage.

winterwolves
07-06-2011, 08:30 PM
In the vid that RPS posted the guy talking about the game says something like "We don't want to punish the player, so if they pick up a weapon, they're going to be successful with it". This got my eye twitching as it sounded painfully like "You press a button, something awesome's going to happen!".

LOL what!? since when cheat modes have become normal gameplay???

outoffeelinsobad
07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Far Cry of Duty.

Rossignol
07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm interested, as I am in anything open-ended, but yeah. Cautious.

Sheps
07-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I really like the direction they went in with Far Cry 2, I can only hope Far Cry 3 continues to build upon that.

sinomatic
08-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Having just finished Far Cry 2, I'd like more of the feel I got from being out in the environment, and ability to approach missions/places in the manner of my choosing. I'd like a lot less of the annoying/magical AI, weapon degradation (at least not THAT quickly), and utterly forgettable characters and plot. I spent most of the game being completely indifferent to everyone. Even my buddies. If they can actually inject some personality into the people...make me engaged in what's going on, alongside the shooty bangs and the 'screenshot-me!' visuals, FC3 would be a fine thing indeed.

Soender
08-06-2011, 01:36 AM
If they can actually inject some personality into the people...make me engaged in what's going on, alongside the shooty bangs and the 'screenshot-me!' visuals, FC3 would be a fine thing indeed.

Have I told you the definition of insanity? That bad guy is bad ass. This game should come out nao!

Henke
08-06-2011, 07:21 AM
In the vid that RPS posted the guy talking about the game says something like "We don't want to punish the player, so if they pick up a weapon, they're going to be successful with it".

LOL what!? since when cheat modes have become normal gameplay???

I don't know if you guys realize this but the dev is just saying that the guns won't jam, like they sometimes would in FC2.

Bungle
08-06-2011, 08:02 AM
I think the ultimate evil today is video ads ahead of streamed videos.

Right? Especially when the video you're trying to watch is an advertisement itself. We have ads on top of ads and very few people say anything about it. I don't get it.

Far Cry of Duty.

And what in the world was up with the points flashing on the screen every time he killed someone? That actually made my head explode. What in the world were they thinking? This is not Super Mario Brothers! The single player campaign does not need points. Even if it does need points like XP, they don't need to flash on the screen with each kill. I'm so sad.

EBass
08-06-2011, 11:40 AM
My rage at Far Cry 2 has been well documented, but my rage wasn't necceserily because it was bad, it was because it could have been SO GOOD without some monumentally stupid design decisions.

From the looks of this trailer they haven't actually learnt why it recieved the mixed reaction it did and instead have made it more scripted and less dynamic. But that could just be the E3 demo, I'll be keeping an eye on this, but not expecting much.

hamster
08-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Holy crap can they please take out the flashing XP notifications on screen? It looks pretty cool when you're trying to axe someone from behind and then suddenly these numbers pop out. What the hell are those numbers supposed to represent? Blood?

I'd also like to see them tone down the "stealth kills" a little. Seems a little overpowered, particularly with how easy it is to sneak behind someone.

Kelron
08-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Holy crap can they please take out the flashing XP notifications on screen? It looks pretty cool when you're trying to axe someone from behind and then suddenly these numbers pop out. What the hell are those numbers supposed to represent? Blood?

Agreed. Of all the fads in modern games, abuse of experience points it the one I find really, really irritating. There's nothing wrong with a well implemented exp system, but every game now seems to flash numbers all over your screen for no reason. I thought gaming was supposed to be evolving past the days of high score collection.

Joseph
08-06-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't know if you guys realize this but the dev is just saying that the guns won't jam, like they sometimes would in FC2.

Ah right, I took it as "You'll be able to storm an enemy camp with a spud gun". I do hope you're right, Far Cry was menacingly difficult and then Far Cry 2 was just... bleh.