PDA

View Full Version : The First RPS Starcraft 2 Tournament!

Labbes
12-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey everyone! I'm not sure how many SC2 players are around here, but I was hoping to set up a just-for-fun tournament. Everyone plays better when it's single elimination!
If there are any questions about the rules*, go ahead and ask ;)
*I got them from another tournament

Edit: I should probably add that due to how the SC2 servers are set up, this will be a EU-only tournament.

Rules & Stuff

1. Game Mode

We're going to play 1on1, gamespeed "faster".

2. Maps

By default, all Maps included in the 1on1 Ladderpool.
Both players have to agree on the first map, after that it's loser's choice.
In every matchup, maps may only be played once.
Also, if both players agree on it, they can play any ESL, GSL or MLG variant (also of maps not included in the current pool).

3. Tournament

Grid size depends on how many players there will be :)
Single Elimination with a game for third place.
Normal matches are BO3, finale and game for third place will be BO5.

4. Draw

If players manage to get a draw, they must play on the same map again until there's a winner.

5. Results

The winner must proudly announce the results in this thread and upload the replays (on that note, does RPS have a built-in uploading thing?).

6. Requirements

Anyone can play, be it Unranked or GM.

7. Application

Applications follow the format IG-Nick / ID / Race / League
For instance: Labbes / 944 / Zerg / Silver

You may not change the race you name in your application after the tournament has started.

8. Observer/Caster

There can be as many observers in the game as both players are fine with. You can also announce time&date of your match in this thread, so that observers will know when to be there.
Also, if there is actually a caster here, that would be pretty cool.

9. Disconnects

-If an observer disconnects, it really doesn't matter
-If a player disconnects within the first 5 minutes of the game, the same map will be played again.
-If a player disconnects after 5-minute-mark, there are two possibilites:
a) the disconnecting player forfeits the game
b) the player who didn't disconnect gives re-game.
-If there should be a problem of any kind, the administration (me) is there to lay judgement: If one player is far ahead in the game, he gets the win.
If both players are on more or less even footing, it means re-game.

10. Not Playing Your Games

If you tried to reach your opponent via ingame chat, posting in this forum and sending him a PM, but he doesn't write back (or he is unable to play the game because of PC/real life issues), you get a freewin.
Remember to contact your opponents early :)
If you know you can't make it within the given deadline, but you know you have time a day or two afterwards, write in this thread or a PM. A match one or two days after the deadline does not interrupt the tournament much, so it should work most of the time.

11. Deadlines

I propose the next friday as deadline for applying, that should be ample time.

Application by: Friday, 21. October 2011.

After that, there will be five days for each round of the tournament. So by the 26., you should have played your first BO3 :)
However, I will put all important dates above as soon as application is finished.

12. Participants

RPS Nick / IG Nick / ID / Race / League
1. Labbes / Labbes / 944 / Zerg / Silver
2. Vandelay / FeralFerret / 886 / Protoss / Gold
3. Sweedums / Sweedums / 725 / Zerg / Platinum
4. CreepingDeath / CreepingDeth / 366 / Protoss / Bronze

13. Chat

To organise matches, or to pick up observers before starting a match, I propose a channel by the name of Rock Paper Starcraft.

14. Grid

http://challonge.com/rpssc2

Unfortunately, I can't offer any rewards except a boost for your ego :)

Vandelay
12-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Oh, I'm up for some of this. Seem to recall proposing the idea way back, but didn't get too many takers. Hopefully, we can get enough people together for something this time. Here are my details:

FeralFerret / 886 / Protoss / Gold

Probably going to have to get some practice in. Not played any one vs one in ages.

Don't believe there is anyway to upload files on RPS. If it was just for people involved in the tourny, we could just use Dropbox, although only invited people would be able to see that. Alternatively, there are plenty of file uploading sites we could use.

Sweedums
13-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Havn't played in so long but what the hell...

Sweedums / 725 / Zerg / Platinum

As for dropbox, you can setup a free account that has 2 gb of space, and then just hand out the account name and password on this here thread... wouldn't be too hard to do.

Labbes
13-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks, I'll look into dropbox, that sounds like a good idea.

Creeping Death
13-10-2011, 05:05 PM
My pc is currently crapping itself, but assuming it can hold itself together long enough I'd be up for giving this a go. Besides, someone needs to represent Bronze league!

CreepingDeth / 366 / Protoss / Bronze

Labbes
17-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Three days to go, don't be shy! :)

Sweedums
19-10-2011, 12:20 AM
yeah its guna be a real interesting tournament with only 4 of us lol

miki001
20-10-2011, 04:36 PM
I'll be there

Normally I record only Smash Brothers but if anyone wants their game videos up on youtube, just ask and I can record anything when the Smash tournaments aren't happening

Sweedums
20-10-2011, 07:01 PM
would be great fun if we had a caster actually, they could rip the shit out of our god awful play and strategies xD

Vandelay
20-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Judging by some of my games of late, I think there would be plenty of material! Weirdly, I seem to lose badly when I think I'm playing well and win easily when I think I'm playing terribly.

Kind of surprised there hasn't been more interest, as there is fairly healthy looking SC2 thread, with 11 European players listed on the front (and two lonely looking North Americans,) which occasionally resurfaces.

Labbes
21-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I'll be there

Meaning you want to join the huge tournament roster, or you want to obs the games to have a laugh? :)

I've read a lot about casting in forum tournaments, how would you actually do it? Is the ingame VoIP any use, or is everyone on Skype and just one guy talks?

Edit: I'm gonna post the grid later today, it's gonna take some time though, with so many players.

Sweedums
21-10-2011, 12:21 PM
well the voice recording could be done using xsplit if there is a caster, because that means the broadcast can be done live with sound.... xsplit is really rather good at handling all that sort of stuff.

Labbes
21-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I present to you the grid for the First RPS Starcraft 2 Tournament: http://challonge.com/rpssc2 (there is a game for third place! :D)
Mirror matches all the way!

miki001, if you want to join us, I guess it's alright since we're only four :D just write down your Race, IG Nick and ID number and I'll do another grid.

I'm not sure five days are enough for so many matches, but I'll try nevertheless: Try and play your games until the 26th.
You can write down the approximate time and date of your match, so other people can observe the game :)
I guess I could cast, god knows I could use the training, I haven't spoken a word of English in forever. It would be more silly than strictly analytical, though, but I guess that's alright.

As for the replays, here's the login stuff for dropbox*:
Mail: a8340865@nepwk.com
PW: rps4ever

gl&hf in your matches!

*I did set that one up mainly to understand how the thing works. For all I care, you can upload it on mediafire or something like that as well :)

Sweedums
22-10-2011, 02:48 AM
ok so Labbes, im free all weekend and free most afternoons and all evenings (except maybe tuesday) during the week... if you want to post a general time to play on here so we can focus down to a specific hour, ill jump on sc2 now and try adding you to my friends

EDIT: also, for map choices, i'd very much prefer the mlg versions of the maps, as ZvZ is just not fun to play or watch when you get close rush distances on some of the ladder maps lol.... games usually end around the 6 minute mark :P

Vandelay
22-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Think I'm probably free most evenings next week for our games, CreepingDeth. Maybe even sometime tomorrow. Alternatively, I'm also off work next Friday/Monday, so will probably be able to make time on either of those days, if we don't get around to it before then.

Miker
22-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I'll go ahead and post the exact same thing I post in every RPS StarCraft 2 thread: I wish I could join, but I'm on the NA server :(

Creeping Death
22-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Think I'm probably free most evenings next week for our games, CreepingDeth. Maybe even sometime tomorrow. Alternatively, I'm also off work next Friday/Monday, so will probably be able to make time on either of those days, if we don't get around to it before then.

I'm free most evenings from 8pm (uk time) onwards as well. I've added you to my friends list so basically any time you see me on I'll be free for a match.

If we don't run into each other before Friday, I'll be free all day then as well. So it shouldn't be a problem getting the 3 games done.

Labbes
22-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Sweedums and I will play Sunday, 5-6ish. You will find me in the chatroom "rock paper starcraft" :)

DigitalSignalX
23-10-2011, 03:08 AM
Post VODS plz :)

Talon
23-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Oh, boo EU only :(

Sweedums
23-10-2011, 03:58 PM
it just struck me that i might be on a different time zone to you labbes, so are we playing 5-6 UK time? or another time zone... i'll try be on around these hours regardless

Sweedums
23-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Ok so me and Labbes just played out our matches....

results were as follows:

Sweedums 2 - Labbes 0

they were fun matches, and i think Labbes is going to put the replays into dropbox for anyone who is interested. He went with a 9pool opening in each game and used queens and roaches as a defensive force to try to build economy and take a later natural, whereas i went for a 14gas/14Pool build with aggressive speedling play and an earlier expansion. I was able to win overall by using the lings to keep map control and gain an upper hand in the economy.

Looking forward to playing the winner of the PvP battle :D

Labbes
23-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Replays should be uploaded.

(I do the best walloffs ever.)

Vandelay
24-10-2011, 08:41 PM
The Queen walloffs were epic :)

I'm on and in the chatroom at the moment, if Creeping happens to pop on.

Vandelay
26-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Sorry for the long wait on our game. I did see Creepingdeth on last night, but I was in the middle of playing some 3v3 with real world mates. I propose either 7-7.30 tonight (although, I can only play until a about 8.15,) or 8-8.30 tomorrow. Possibly Friday afternoon too, but that will likely be dominated by BF3.

Creeping Death
27-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I should be able to make it on for 8pm tonight, all things well. If not, I am free all day Friday if you can pry yourself away from BF3

Creeping Death
27-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Right, Vandelay and I managed to get our games done this evening. It ended up 2-1 to me, so I guess the final is me vs. Sweedums :/ I've played Sweedums before, this wont end well for me! We'll play something tomorrow afternoon, most likely around 4 or 5ish.

That last game between me and Van was pretty hairy in some places, mostly down to my brilliant ability to not react! I'll look about uploading the replays soon, if anyone is interested.

Labbes
27-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm definitely interested in the replays :) gl against Sweedums, you are going to need it (I'll try to obs :D)

Vandelay
27-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Very disappointed :(.

Creeping played well and made me learn the power of Chargelots and Archons. I may have to borrow that build. Really enjoyable games though and it sounded like Sweedums enjoyed himself spectating it, particularly the last one.

I've uploaded the games for all to see, as well as to point and laugh at.

Good luck to you both in the final.

Sweedums
28-10-2011, 05:07 PM
ok me and creepingdeth just played our games, and i won 2-0... YAY!

also, i took the liberty of streaming it, and we were both on voice chat while we played... my microphone is VERY loud for some reason, so bare that in mind :/

http://www.twitch.tv/sweedums/b/298575843

Labbes
29-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Congratulations, Sweedums :)
Vandelay, I'll add you in SC2, and I basically have time all the time. So just give me a nudge when you're free.