PDA

View Full Version : Book question: Man in the High Castle, ending? (spoilers ahoy)

Firkragg
17-10-2011, 01:35 AM
(Heavily) inspired by Rii's thread some days ago, I suddenly realized I could do the same - post a question about a book ending that I have been struggling very much to understand. Must be 2 years ago I read the book the first time, I've tried to re-read the ending a few times since then but still I end up just as confused. What does the author mean with the last chapter? Is it a dream? Some kind of parallel universe?

I desperately tried to get a friend to read it, just for the sake of having someone to discuss it with but to no avail. Apparently trying to force someone through a book turns them off.

So! I beseech the greater hive nodes to help this dimwit better understand the ending of Man in the High Castle.

Rii
17-10-2011, 02:03 AM
Heh, this has been on my Amazon wishlist FOREVER. I should probably stay out of this thread to avoid spoilers. But I won't.

Firkragg
17-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Well, you COULD buy it, read it and come back here :)

EDIT: A very good read in any case, highly recommendable

Rii
17-10-2011, 02:28 AM
I could, but you probably want an answer before 2014. ;)

desvergeh
17-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I could, but you probably want an answer before 2014. ;)

Have read and enjoyed it. Cannot for the life of me remember the last chapter. Will dig it out when I get home.

desvergeh
17-10-2011, 11:05 AM
It's a shame there is no imdb book equivalent. Would be nice to be able to go somewhere to discuss books over forums.

Kelron
17-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Questioning reality is a common theme in Dick's books, to the point where he'd sound like a broken record if he was a worse writer. He spent much of his writing career under the influence of drugs, and trying to find an obvious narrative meaning to the ending might be futile.

endintears
17-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Bear in mind that it's been a long time since I read it...

My interpretation is quite literal. They are existing in something like an alternate reality. The 'true' reality is the reality in which we live.

As for how this situation came to pass, well, that's never covered. From what I recall, the I Ching provides a way to interrogate the true reality, although the characters are unaware that this is what it's doing.

thegooseking
17-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Honestly, much as I love Dick (oo-er), I was really disappointed by the ending of that book. It seemed to me like a pretty standard breaking of the fourth wall (that's not the correct term, because the character's don't directly address the reader, but it's something similar, where the characters realise that they are characters in a book, and I can't quite recall the correct term for that).

Firkragg
17-10-2011, 10:50 PM
I never could settle on my own interpretation (alternate reality, with a glimpse into another one) because I felt I must have missed something, missing out on a big deal by not "getting" the ending. But seeing others draw the same conclusions is a nice comfort.