PDA

View Full Version : Monitors

GGG
19-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm looking at maybe getting a new monitor by Christmas. Obviously I'd like to make an informed decision but I really don't have any idea what I should even be looking at. Any tips on what I should be looking for/avoiding? I'm probably looking at up to about 150, although if another 50 will make a massive difference I can probably be convinced.

Cheers

JohnnyK
19-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Could you post your specs and what screen size you would prefer?
It doesn't make much sense to suggest a monitor with 1920*1080 native resolution if you have a low-end GPU, for example.

Lukasz
19-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Could you post your specs and what screen size you would prefer?
It doesn't make much sense to suggest a monitor with 1920*1080 native resolution if you have a low-end GPU, for example.

well. gpu is easy to replace. and necessary after few years. Monitor can last him for at least 5.

my suggestion

go to your favourite computer retailer. Search a product within your budget. then google the name with review added to the search. that will give you much better opinion on the monitor than a half of dozen comments on rps.
Furthermore you can also go to computer dedicated sites and their forums. They will give you more opinions and greater range.

I will just suggest not getting anything below 23/24 inches. not much saving and a huge difference.

GGG
19-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Can't remember my specs (I only pay attention to this sort of thing when I'm about to buy a new rig or whatever) but suffice to say they are good enough to run stuff at a reasonable resolution.

Any tips on good sites for reviews/forums for this sort of thing?

Lukasz
19-10-2011, 01:34 PM
my fav. is
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/

they have good section just for monitors in their forums with lots and lots of info. and community is very helpful (but they are australians. so not much recommendation on sellers for UK)

Kadayi
19-10-2011, 01:54 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1468-New-monitor-Budget-Edition

slick_101
19-10-2011, 03:07 PM
LG IPS231 for around 150 and the Dell U2311H which can be found for around the 200 mark. both top quality monitors if you can get them!

ComradePenguin
19-10-2011, 04:09 PM
LG IPS231 for around 150 and the Dell U2311H which can be found for around the 200 mark. both top quality monitors if you can get them!

To back this up here is a thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?672-New-monitor) where we discuss such things. I'm currently using the LG and it is beautiful. Even friends who are fairly bored by such technical issues comment on how nice it is.

DigitalSignalX
22-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Anyone tried the 120 vs. 60 MHz ? I'm curious about the fidelity in games, is it really noticeable?

squirrel
23-10-2011, 07:54 AM
I always think that Dell is a good choice for monitors. Not top of the line, but prices are always reasonable, and durability guaranteed.

Kadayi
23-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Anyone tried the 120 vs. 60 MHz ? I'm curious about the fidelity in games, is it really noticeable?

You only need a 120 MHz if you're going full 3D glasses, and there isn't a gamer I know who does that.

Lukasz
23-10-2011, 06:19 PM

nah.
unless you go 3d as pointed out by kadayi. and 3d does look fun (tried it in a shop) just so so expensive.

MD!
24-10-2011, 08:04 AM

Do you mean 120 Hz refresh rate?

I have a 120 Hz monitor and consider it worthwhile, but my main games are fast-paced multiplayer FPSes (currently Quake Live).

In general, I'd be surprised if it made any noticeable difference to most other games, especially as (I assume) you won't be running many games at much more than 60fps. One exception: if I understand vsync correctly (well, I don't, but if the facts I think I know about it are true), when running a game with vsync and without triple-buffering, at a framerate <60 and >= 40, you'll get 40fps instead of 30.

But yeah, I am not an expert, but in my experience, unless you have a specific reason to go with a 120 Hz monitor (e.g. you play Quake, or you want 3D), it's probably not worth it.

Hirmetrium
24-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Crap.

Well I ordered a U2311H based on the ridiculous amount of recommendations in this thread, but they told me they had sold out. They offered me the U2312HM as the model up, which was 213 (which is still a ridiculously good price) so I took it, and told me that there are no differences. Now reading around online it says that they use LED instead of the CCFL tech, which makes them... worse? I don't fully understand how (stupid tech circles assume everyone knows everything), so if somebody can clarify quickly I'd appreciate it. If so I'll cancel the order first thing tomorrow.

Really wishing I cancelled now, but I want to be told otherwise. So far its been a massive pain in the arse pricehunting.

ComradePenguin
24-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Basically the LEDs that are used in monitors are not pure white and usually have slightly blue tint to them which therefore effects the colour balance of the image. However from reading reviews this isn't a huge problem with the Dell and unless you plan on properly calibrating it with a tool I doubt it'll affect you too much. Under distance selling regulations you always have the right to return it if it does bother you.

Hirmetrium
24-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Ok cheers ComradePenguin, just hate doing a google and seeing a million alarmist results.

perafilozof
25-10-2011, 06:09 PM
The best idea is to trick your parents into buying a LCD TV 32'' or 40'' and then use your ''magic'' as a son and get them to let use use the TV as your PC monitor.

It might be a hard thing to accomplish but once you do... oh boy...

32'' is fine, but if you have a free peace of a wall in your room get a 40'' mount it on the wall and play like a king!
btw you will need wireless mouse+keyboard

Hirmetrium
11-11-2011, 08:05 PM
My U2312HM has arrived, and it is amazing. I have an old Samsung Syncmaster 2032bw, and this blows it completely out of the water. Just the colour and resolution alone is stunning.

JohnnyK
14-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Just set up my new U2412M and am extremely happy; my trusty Samsung 226bw began to flicker recently and took about half an hour to show any picture (something that can apparently be fixed with a little soldering, but I am not too good with the soldering iron - might still try that for fun), and since I work from home I figured I'd treat myself to a good screen.
Definitely a great call, the image is simply fantastic; I'm using a cheap Acer S221hql as a second monitor, and the difference is staggering, really no contest.
I went with the 24" as the extra real estate compared to the 16:9 monitors is something I can definitely use.

SirKicksalot
25-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Do you mean 120 Hz refresh rate?

I have a 120 Hz monitor and consider it worthwhile, but my main games are fast-paced multiplayer FPSes (currently Quake Live).

In general, I'd be surprised if it made any noticeable difference to most other games, especially as (I assume) you won't be running many games at much more than 60fps. One exception: if I understand vsync correctly (well, I don't, but if the facts I think I know about it are true), when running a game with vsync and without triple-buffering, at a framerate <60 and >= 40, you'll get 40fps instead of 30.

But yeah, I am not an expert, but in my experience, unless you have a specific reason to go with a 120 Hz monitor (e.g. you play Quake, or you want 3D), it's probably not worth it.

Late to the party, but I want to add that 120 Hz makes a difference even outside of gaming. I work at home and the 120 Hz monitor is very easy on the eyes compared to my old one. My job requires switching between windows, scrolling and dragging stuff across the screen all day long and the smoothness of the high framerate helps a lot. I no longer stare at a jiterry screen for 8 hours. I imagine anyone working with images or 3D models will love 120 Hz screens.

I also own the Nvidia 3D kit and I enjoy it a lot.

tenseiga
14-12-2011, 01:01 PM
If you are a developer of any sort or work extensively with software (audio engineer, graphics artist) you should consider getting a dual monitor setup. Yea thats all I have to offer other than its teh holidays you can treat yourself a little bit :)

Kadayi
14-12-2011, 03:32 PM
19-10-2011 09:29 AM

Thread almost 2 months old guys

tenseiga
14-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Um, why is it stickied?

Jaddays
17-01-2012, 12:01 PM
I am still brused from the glowing reviews the Gateway XHD3000 received from MaxPC and the dam thing didn't last 9 months. out $1,600 for the monitor and I paid $350 for repairs and THAT died another 6 months later . the abysmal service that gateway provided means i will NEVER buy from them again Google tech talks (http://googletechtalks.blogspot.com/).