PDA

View Full Version : Conducting research on the topic of in-game stores

Tryser32167
19-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Greetings =]

We are game design students from NHTV University of Applied Sciences in Breda, The Netherlands. We are conducting a research on in-game stores and virtual item sales and to support our thesis we need the opinions and experiences of gamers. For that we have prepared this modest questionnaire that will shed some light for us on the topic. We welcome anybody to take it, whether you play often or not, visit in-game stores or not, all of your input will be valuable.

The answers you provide are anonymous, only a total number of answers given will be processed by the program. No personal information is ever asked of you apart from age and gender.

You can find the questionnaire by clicking on the link below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dGxqdWdlZDZGQjNydHJGNGkxWVhOX1E6MQ#gid=0

Thank you so much in advance for participating and helping us with our research. =]

Nalano
19-10-2011, 05:57 PM
I did your survey, but it didn't read like one by grad students. It read more like market research.

You're planning on selling this info to the highest bidder, aren't you?

Tryser32167
19-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I did your survey, but it didn't read like one by grad students. It read more like market research.

You're planning on selling this info to the highest bidder, aren't you?

I can assure you that we are 4th year students and we're doing this research for a school subject. We spend a lot of time putting this survey together to be able to get the correct data that we want to analyse. We already wrote an introduction for it which was the first part of the assignment and from the teacher that grades it we got to hear that it might be good enough if we can collect the right amount of data and fix some things on the writing we did that it would be good enough to be published somewhere :)

Nalano
19-10-2011, 08:35 PM
So what do you hypothesize will be the results?

gundrea
20-10-2011, 02:14 PM
My science organ may be rusty but don't you normally start with a hypothesis and then test it to see if it's false rather than "to support our thesis we need the opinions and experiences of gamers"

If you start looking for evidence that you're right of course you'll find it.

Wolfenswan
20-10-2011, 02:41 PM
My science organ may be rusty but don't you normally start with a hypothesis and then test it to see if it's false rather than "to support our thesis we need the opinions and experiences of gamers"

Depends on the method used. It's rather unusual to start a quantitative study without a (broad) hypothesis, as it's the latter your questions derive from. This isn't about being right or wrong.

So what do you hypothesize will be the results?

"never ever tell the thesis to the interviewees".

icupnimpn2
20-10-2011, 05:02 PM

If you start looking for evidence that you're right of course you'll find it.

"To support our thesis" may mean generally just to help them to write their academic thesis, which isn't the same thing as a scientific thesis. Especially in a game design program I wouldn't expect them to prove anything statistically. More likely they are doing a sort of subjective analysis and not hard research. If it sounds like marketing speak, remember that game design is as much a business discipline as anything else.

Even in scientific disciplines there is a branch called qualitative research that be as broad as just collecting personal experiences or making direct, subjective observations of behavior. Plus a lot of research is "hypothesis-generating" -- that is it aims to provide information to help formulate a hypothesis rather than to test a hypothesis itself.

acidtestportfolio
21-10-2011, 01:25 PM
i don't go to them anymore

i don't like the customers, i don't like the prices, i don't like the selection, i don't like the employees

burn gamestop and their ilk to the ground