PDA

View Full Version : Steam Offline Mode: Tech Support Edition

QuantaCat
20-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Good day to all.

I am hereby announcing that I will be testing steam in offline mode, trying to get it to work with going online a single time to install things. and then subsequently going offline again, and launching it, at least ten times on different occasions. (I will leave autostart off, so I can control when steam really launches, if its during internet times or not)

To make it more complete, I will after having only gone online once:
- launch steam without internet whatsoever, or any other kind of connection
- launch steam after having had an internet connection, but having disabled the network adaptor (or probably in my case, pulled out the cellphone that is powering the internet)
- launch steam in offline mode while being online
- launch every game installed and let it run for ten minutes or so, in offline mode (the games in question are: Sanctum, Terraria & Europa Universalis III Complete)
- repeat these steps atleast twice, to ensure that it wasnt just random working or failing.

Will post the findings to this thread, as well as to my tech blog, which is in dire need of updating.
I urge anyone to help me do exactly the same, even if youve done so before. Get the latest steam version, and do any of these steps, and please post your findings. I might even email the steam support staff with em, everyone credited of course.

PS: since I am going to berlin soon, I will mainly test in the first week of november, but I have my mac with me (a second gen macbook pro 17"; you know, when they still had good GPUs) and can perform the mac side of testing there.

PPS: the next step will be using steam in offline mode, and try to play the installed games in a LAN.

PPPS: also, I missed kads vote thread.

QuantaCat
08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
So Far:

I was in Berlin two weeks ago, and only had my MacBook Pro 17" (second gen) with me, and used that for testing stuff. So far, steam let me start in offline mode, no matter if I just booted, or if I was in the internet seconds before, or not at all, or whatsoever. So a definitive It Works On OS X 10.5 from me.

But now, for the next thing:

Primary PC, own account, on and offline mode, mixed (logging on, then off again, then on) on Windows 7 64bit - WORKS, with or without connection or even network adaptor.

Secondary PC, "foreign" account, ie I have two "LAN" accounts that I registered just to play multiplayer games in a lan or similar (for guests, so to say); tests comprise of copying game data from main account, using it to install a game on steam with little or no internet. Coming soon!

Note: there was a steam update between my mac steam tests, and the PC ones.

Squiz
10-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Neat idea. Personally, I never had issues with Steam Offline Mode, but then I didn't control for such things as first-time online access or duration of last 'handshake'. Thank you for doing this - for SCIENCE!

QuantaCat
16-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I seem to have hit a snag: For some reason it will not allow me to "cloudsync", which was never an issue, and I cannot start anything. It started by buying Dungeons Of Dredmor, and after that, even though I am online, it will not engage anything anymore. I have to admit, I think it updated either today or on monday. Anyone else?

EDIT: fixed, by using the support issues steam help page. Didnt have to put in a ticket or anything. So far, so good. All is documented and works.

QuantaCat
20-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Bump because I fixed my problems. See up^

TailSwallower
31-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Figured this was a better place than starting a new thread - anyone know how you can start Steam in offline mode and get it to forget that it wants to update?

I'm in a hostel in Moscow with shitty internet, and whilst yesterday I could connect to Steam fine, today no dice. When I try and run it in Offline mode it gives me an error along the lines of "This action cannot be completed in Offline mode" - which I think is because Steam started grabbing an update but couldn't get it all before the internet crapped out.

Same thing has been reported on the Steam forums, but no solutions have been offered, so I thought I'd try here. In the meantime I can't play anything from Steam, which admittedly is most of my games.

QuantaCat
04-01-2012, 11:47 AM
hm. and updating it didnt fix anything?

Also, reinstalling? Or is that all out of the question due to shitty internetz? (reinstalling retains your game installs)