PDA

View Full Version : The 'Things you will NEVER understand' Thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kamikaze-X
07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
So... as a person, I have some quirks that set me apart from most of the population. Most of them are pretty trivial, but what they all have in common is that when I think about a lot of these differences from those around me, I just cannot fathom why other people are different to me. At all.

I'll start off with a pretty trivial one:

Making someone lunch.

So, I make a guy a sandwich. Its ham. And Branston Pickle.

Open lid of Pickle, smell sweet and sour jammy stench. Scoop out weird hard chunks of supposedly vegetables.

Fathom as to why ANYONE would put this near their cake-hole. As a logical, reasoning thinker, I cannot at all think of any reason to eat this stuff. I really can't.

I will NEVER understand this.

8-bit
07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
staying with food.

Coleslaw, it looks like sick and it smells like it too, I don't know why anyone would eat that stuff.

Dubbill
07-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Fuckin' magnets.

thegooseking
07-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Staying with food: Why frozen burgers are sold in packs of 4 or 8, but burger buns are sold in packs of 6.

Ian
07-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I just cannot fathom why other people are different to me. At all.

As a logical, reasoning thinker

Bit of a contradiction there. ;)

Anyway, Branston pickle and coleslaw are both good you fools.

NecroKnight
07-06-2011, 02:16 PM
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Rakysh
07-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Si non discrepit, cur dicit?

(I think discrepo should be subjunctive possibly, but I'm buggered if I'm going to work that out.)

man-eater chimp
07-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Marmite.

CONTROVERSIAL

icupnimpn2
07-06-2011, 02:39 PM
popular country music. why don't people realize it's a bunch of pandering crap?

lhzr
07-06-2011, 02:44 PM
popular ***** music. why don't people realize it's a bunch of pandering crap?

Dubbill
07-06-2011, 02:51 PM
I've a friend who won't eat condiments or sauces of any kind. No mustard, no ketchup, no HP, no pickle, no mayonnaise, no hollandaise, no béarnaise. If it comes in a sachet in a cafe or is found on the same supermarket aisle as Branston, she won't eat it. That's far harder for me to get my around than disliking one specific flavour.

Kamikaze-X
07-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Bit of a contradiction there. ;)

Anyway, Branston pickle and coleslaw are both good you fools.
INO,RITE?

What I mean is i just cannot understand why a flavour/texture which is utterly abhorrent to me is perfectly enjoyable to someone else. Surely it must taste the same... so why do I not even like the smell?

thegooseking
07-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Why I've heard people talking about multitudinous legions of rabid Twilight fans but never actually encountered a single person who had anything good to say about it. Twilight fans therefore appropriately occupy the space of my brain devoted to other folkloric creatures.

Tikey
07-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I don't understand how come people like the Iron Man movies.

ColOfNature
07-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Fuckin' magnets.

This deserves a biscuit.

duff
07-06-2011, 03:54 PM
When a girl says "it doesn't matter", what she actually means is "this is very important to me". I mean wtf?!

Ian
07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
What I mean is i just cannot understand why a flavour/texture which is utterly abhorrent to me is perfectly enjoyable to someone else. Surely it must taste the same... so why do I not even like the smell?

Oh I see, I'd read it as "ARE THEIR BRAINS MADE OF CHEESE!?" rather than what I'm now gathering is more "Why the fuck are tastebuds so fickle and mental?" Which I can sort of agree with.

Simon
07-06-2011, 04:04 PM
This deserves a biscuit.

A total one?! LOLOL because they both fail!

SMiD
07-06-2011, 04:08 PM
1. Simon

10char.... :/

NecroKnight
07-06-2011, 04:22 PM
The Iron Man movies are OK, nothing special, but can still be amusing.

TillEulenspiegel
07-06-2011, 04:24 PM
When a girl says "it doesn't matter", what she actually means is "this is very important to me". I mean wtf?!

My girlfriend breaks this rule! It's shocking and disturbing and contradicts a lifetime of experience, but it's true. Maybe it's because she's Italian and not a native English speaker.

I don't understand non-friendly people. Assholes. Selfish people who set out to make others' lives worse.

Tom OBedlam
07-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Be careful people, I'm convinced Michael McIntyre's people rake the net for these sorts of threads.

westyfield
07-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Be careful people, I'm convinced Michael McIntyre's people rake the net for these sorts of threads.

Speaking of which, I don't understand how people find Mr McIntyre funny.
"Hurr hurr, he did a voice!"
"GOOMH, Michael, I've been on a crowded bus too!"

Donjo
08-06-2011, 12:40 AM
AAND hwhat is the deal with toasters?! I mean come on! They only have two settings, burnt to a crisp or slightly warm! What is the deal with that?

Well, that's a broken toaster. If you keep your receipts you should be ok.

Kamikaze-X
08-06-2011, 01:40 PM
i don't think people really get the idea of the original concept, but hey, its still intereseting.

what i'm talking about is things that when you really, properly try and understand it, you just cannot understand it.

one of the big ones for me is people who are 'unable' to read late into their lives. How does someone funtion through life like this? and surely, they must be able to read to some degree... whether recognising shapes or patterns or whatever. I really cannot fathom it.

Kester
08-06-2011, 08:54 PM
what i'm talking about is things that when you really, properly try and understand it, you just cannot understand it.

The Copenhagen interpretation! Bloody Niels Bohr.

(Yes, I have missed the point too.)

Lambchops
08-06-2011, 09:06 PM
AAND hwhat is the deal with toasters?! I mean come on! They only have two settings, burnt to a crisp or slightly warm! What is the deal with that?

Well, that's a broken toaster. If you keep your receipts you should be ok.

Stuart Lee has, over the course of this series of Comedy Vehicle, progressed from something I didn't understand to something I quite like.

---

On the other hand I don't get Made in the Hills The Only Shore is whatever.

I've got nothing against overly staged TV watching a bunch of twats make complete idiots of themselves, after all I watch The Apprentice. But these people are so spectacularly annoying and the staging is so awkward that it's just excruciating to watch. Just don't get the appeal.

ColOfNature
08-06-2011, 09:19 PM
...On the other hand I don't get Made in the Hills The Only Shore is whatever...

For me it's reality TV generally. I just don't see the attraction.

Tom OBedlam
08-06-2011, 09:40 PM
For me it's <s>reality</s> TV generally. I just don't see the attraction.

Donjo
08-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Stuart Lee has, over the course of this series of Comedy Vehicle, progressed from something I didn't understand to something I quite like.

---

On the other hand I don't get Made in the Hills The Only Shore is whatever.

I've got nothing against overly staged TV watching a bunch of twats make complete idiots of themselves, after all I watch The Apprentice. But these people are so spectacularly annoying and the staging is so awkward that it's just excruciating to watch. Just don't get the appeal.

I'm glad someone got that :) I think he's a genius, watching Fist of Fun in 1995 with my twin brother was a revelation, I still remember running gags that didn't really make any sense that we both found so funny we were crying :) And of course, This Morning With Richard Not Judy, the inexplicable daytime TV show he created with Lee Herring... aaahhhhhhh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd3v9ru0Ffg&feature=related

moth bones
08-06-2011, 11:49 PM
When sporting events (usually football) are on television, the camera will sometimes cut to a group of glum-looking fans whose team are losing. They will suddenly start jumping and grinning BECAUSE THEY'RE ON TV!!! I will never, ever understand that.

Sidian
09-06-2011, 01:08 AM
How people - grown, adult people - can like Dr. Who.

How people can be evil and twisted enough to play pyros in TF2.

How Americans can never just be Americans. They are Irish-Americans or something! Because their great-great-great grandather's best friend's son had a girlfriend whose dog was Irish! And this is incredibly important to their identity as a human being!

How people have the patience to do ridiculously time-consuming, complex structures in games like Minecraft.

Tikey
09-06-2011, 03:34 AM
How people can be evil and twisted enough to play pyros in TF2.

It's incredibly fun the chaos you can make as a pyro!

Thants
09-06-2011, 04:24 AM
For me it's reality TV generally. I just don't see the attraction.

Really? All TV? You're missing out man.

outoffeelinsobad
09-06-2011, 05:03 AM
How a group of eight people will spread out to fill an entire sidewalk and refuse any other traffic with a huff and a "well I never." I'm 130 lbs. Maybe two feet wide. Seriously. I don't want to walk in the street.

Rii
09-06-2011, 06:44 AM
How a group of eight people will spread out to fill an entire sidewalk and refuse any other traffic with a huff and a "well I never." I'm 130 lbs. Maybe two feet wide. Seriously. I don't want to walk in the street.

Science (http://mehdimoussaid.com/project4.html) to the rescue!

"In this work, we analyze the motion of approximately 1500 pedestrian groups under natural condition, and show that social interactions among group members generate typical group walking patterns that influence crowd dynamics. At low density, group members tend to walk side by side, forming a line perpendicular to the walking direction. As the density increases, however, the linear walking formation is bent forward, turning it into a V-like pattern. These spatial patterns can be well described by a model based on social communication between group members. We show that the V-like walking pattern facilitates social interactions within the group, but reduces the flow because of its “non-aerodynamic” shape. Therefore, when crowd density increases, the group organization results from a trade-off between walking faster and facilitating social exchange. "

NecroKnight
09-06-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't understand that how some people actually like Eurosong. I mean most of the songs are stupid & repetetive.
I also don't understand how the German's & Austrian's like their comedians, parodies and sitcoms, I really don't. I watched some of their movies, shows and stand-up comedians. Most of the time I would stare into the screen and wonder how the f**k is this supposed to be funny?! The humor is just horrible, it's so infantile, stupid and boring. There were some OK shows, but there weren't any that were actually very good.

NecroKnight
09-06-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm glad someone got that :) I think he's a genius, watching Fist of Fun in 1995 with my twin brother was a revelation, I still remember running gags that didn't really make any sense that we both found so funny we were crying :) And of course, This Morning With Richard Not Judy, the inexplicable daytime TV show he created with Lee Herring... aaahhhhhhh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd3v9ru0Ffg&feature=related

While watching this I felt a strong urge to smash my screen. If you excuse me, I have to go buy a big bottle of rakia, get drunk of my a** and forget I ever watched this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakia

Xercies
09-06-2011, 11:36 AM
My list could be very long because i don't really understand humans that much but i'll try to keep it down :)

Why are genders so mean to each other. Why do girls think all men are dicks and just out to destroy there lives and why do men think similar but replacing dick with bitch?

Why do people really like Kanye West and how do people who wouldn't normally like his sort of music become fans of his? I've listened to him and he doesn't do anything more special then other rappers do it seems.

How can people not like watching subtitled films, i've heard a thousand excuses and none of them are particularly that great. Your missing out on about 80% of the worlds cinema. Some of the greatest films made are in a foreign language!

Rossi
09-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I will never understand peoples obsession with horses!

Maykael
09-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I do not understand why most European countries dub movies and video-games. Localization is the worst thing that has ever happened to Europe, as it keeps our cultures apart and, in some sense, provincial.

And no fellow Spanish, German, Italian and French RPSers the dubbing that they do in your country is not good. It's shit, it's cheap and it detracts from the value of the work of art your are experiencing. We have seen different movies and have played different games and the I ones I went through were better. For all its myriad of faults, at least Romania only dubs cartoons and you can avoid even that.

òscar.
09-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I do not understand why most European countries dub movies and video-games. Localization is the worst thing that has ever happened to Europe, as it keeps our cultures apart and, in some sense, provincial.

I wanted to answer you without derailing the thread, so I've created a new one (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?249-Localization-blessing-or-curse&p=4318) :)

Alez
10-06-2011, 01:59 AM
I will never understand the need to have dwarves and elves in games. I am so bored with them.
The weird thing about it is that they do not exist. Yet they appear in unrelated fantasy medieval games as though they belong there. They are there in Witcher 2 as they are there in Dragon Age 2. As if they are as normal as humans in medieval games.

Fantasy has stopped meaning "it never existed but wouldn't it be cool if it did?", and just means "we will have elves, dwarves and if we feel creative, orks".

What is this obsession with them? It's killing our imagination. I know developers always go the safe route but really now, are people really more inclined to buy a fantasy game if they see they have elves and dwarves?

ColOfNature
10-06-2011, 04:11 AM
It is a bit of a shame that the Tolkienesque model has pretty much supplanted all others forms of high fantasy these days. I'm as big a fan of ol' J.R.R. as you'll meet, but I agree that it would be nice to see more diverse fantasy worlds.

CuriousOrange
10-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I will never understand the need to have dwarves and elves in games. I am so bored with them.
The weird thing about it is that they do not exist. Yet they appear in unrelated fantasy medieval games as though they belong there. They are there in Witcher 2 as they are there in Dragon Age 2. As if they are as normal as humans in medieval games.

Fantasy has stopped meaning "it never existed but wouldn't it be cool if it did?", and just means "we will have elves, dwarves and if we feel creative, orks".

What is this obsession with them? It's killing our imagination. I know developers always go the safe route but really now, are people really more inclined to buy a fantasy game if they see they have elves and dwarves?

Elves and Dwarves don't seem to be selling anymore... I know! Space Elves!

ColOfNature
10-06-2011, 08:12 PM

Emo space elves! Sadomasochist emo space elves!

imirk
10-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Space Dwarves, wait that sounds lame lets call them "Squats" yeah that's way better

NecroKnight
10-06-2011, 08:24 PM

You mean like the Eldar in WH40K? The Eldar are practicly space elves.

Emo space elves! Sadomasochist emo space elves!- Totaly like the Dark Eldar

imirk
10-06-2011, 08:29 PM
You mean like the Eldar in WH40K? The Eldar are practicly space elves.

Emo space elves! Sadomasochist emo space elves!- Totaly like the Dark Eldar

oh man we can't get anything past you ...

That was mean, sorry. It does seem that there are more choices offered in SF than trad fantasy, then again you still end up with blue people, or people with stuff on their heads.

NecroKnight
10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm noticing that alines in SF are also becoming kinda recycled. When you see some of the aliens you feel like you saw them somewhere before. I also agree that people are taking to much "inspiration" from the Tolkien based fantasy, although he took a lot of things from Norse mytology. For example, one of the reasons I liked The Witcher was because I saw some new fantasy creatures like the striga and some other things that come from East-Europena mythology. It really fealed refreshing to see something different.

Xercies
10-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Thats why I quite like JRPGs and there fantasy settings, a lot of them use Japanese mythology and culture to pepper there fantasy races and all that stuff and it makes it very unique and basically a breath of fresh air to the other fantasy tropes out there. Basically if your a fantasy writer don't go to the obvious pile that is J.R.R do a little bit of research from other cultures, its not that hard to do. Hell i would like it if they brought back some greek mythology.

imirk
10-06-2011, 10:40 PM
What about persian or indian mythology?

ColOfNature
11-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Isn't there a God of War stylee game based on Persian myth in the works?

soldant
11-06-2011, 02:44 AM
Thats why I quite like JRPGs and there fantasy settings, a lot of them use Japanese mythology and culture to pepper there fantasy races and all that stuff and it makes it very unique and basically a breath of fresh air to the other fantasy tropes out there.That's exactly why I don't like JRPGs. All I see when I see most JRPGs is a bunch of big hair, ridiculous weapons, characters that don't make sense, characters with no clear gender... actually I'd better leave it there. I just don't get the appeal. That said, Western Tolkienism (is that a word? If not it should be!) is getting mighty old.

NecroKnight
11-06-2011, 06:45 AM
What about persian or indian mythology?

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within- the Dahaka is inspired by Aži Dahaga, a figure from Iranian mythology
Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne- the Naga are taken from Hindu & Buddhist mythology

There is so much stuff out there that can be used to make a film or videogame with an interesting fantasy setting, but people rather take the safe route.

Bilbo1981
11-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Homosexuality :)

òscar.
11-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I'll never understand the people who "like" their own stuff in Facebook

Xiyng
11-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Irrational people is one of the many things I can't understand. How hard can it really be to think rationally about simple things? I can understand emotions sometimes taking over but people that are irrational most of the time? I just can't find a way to understand them (well, I guess I could if I wanted to but I don't want to :P).

I guess I'll just have to post again whenever I can remember more than this. Right now I can't though.

kirrus
12-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I will never understand peoples obsession with horses!

You know how people love their cats and dogs, right? Well, it's kinda like that, but these creatures can be more intelligent, and can take you places rather fast. In quite an enjoyable way.
(I, unfortunately, have never been on a horse :( )

thegooseking
12-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Irrational people is one of the many things I can't understand. How hard can it really be to think rationally about simple things? I can understand emotions sometimes taking over but people that are irrational most of the time? I just can't find a way to understand them (well, I guess I could if I wanted to but I don't want to :P).

I guess I'll just have to post again whenever I can remember more than this. Right now I can't though.

You should read Kluge: The Haphazard Evolution of the Human Mind by Gary Marcus. Great book, and it will definitely help you understand irrational people in a way that won't make you want to set fire to the world.

Mohorovicic
12-06-2011, 05:35 PM

Of all the unbelievable things "grown, adult people" like, this?

Ogun
12-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Same here, the 5th episode of that series had me in stitches. It's a shame that so much of his material gets lifted and turned into one-liners by panel show comics. Have you looked him up on youtube? Granted, the visuals for Fist of Fun haven't dated well but there's some other great stuff there too, e.g.

a joke that Joe Pasquale can't steal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco

on Dance of the Penguins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmyZoFChDOQ

This, and to a lesser extent why people let their children watch it.

Almost every episode I've seen has included at least one horribly contrived act of personal sacrifice where some poor bugger's seventh line is "I will hold this door shut and die while you guys escape because, for some reason, I can't just wedge a shoe under it or tie my belt around the handle".

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against hackneyed drivel (I've played video games for the story), but keep it light. The deaths in Dr. Who are wretched, overwrought and unhealthy entertainment.

Donjo
12-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Same here, the 5th episode of that series had me in stitches. It's a shame that so much of his material gets lifted and turned into one-liners by panel show comics. Have you looked him up on youtube? Granted, the visuals for Fist of Fun haven't dated well but there's some other great stuff there too, e.g.

a joke that Joe Pasquale can't steal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco

on Dance of the Penguins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmyZoFChDOQ

This, and to a lesser extent why people let their children watch it.

Almost every episode I've seen has included at least one horribly contrived act of personal sacrifice where some poor bugger's seventh line is "I will hold this door shut and die while you guys escape because, for some reason, I can't just wedge a shoe under it or tie my belt around the handle".

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against hackneyed drivel (I've played video games for the story), but keep it light. The deaths in Dr. Who are wretched, overwrought and unhealthy entertainment.

Edit: I just want to write about Stewart Lee, so maybe I'll make a comedy thread :)

Temple
13-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Strangers who want to kiss you on both cheeks.

Driving for pleasure.

thegooseking
13-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Why the designers of spam posts think they can somehow slip under the radar by pretending to actually be part of the discussion, when they're really obviously fooling no-one.

Actually, spam in general. I genuinely do not understand the point of it.

Tikey
13-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Why the designers of spam posts think they can somehow slip under the radar by pretending to actually be part of the discussion, when they're really obviously fooling no-one.

Actually, spam in general. I genuinely do not understand the point of it.

In another forum I used to have, we had a bot that commented on topics with somewhat relevant stuff (but disconected enough to recognice it as a bot) and didn't ever rty to sell something. We were always looking forward to its next post as they were always hilariously on-topic.

celt
14-06-2011, 06:20 PM
I will never understand people blocking the aisle at grocery stores. Nope.

They usually do this by turning the cart sideways in such an optimal way that I'd figure their apparant dumbness would be incapable of producing. Sometimes it's done by having the cart on one side of the aisle, placing one hand on the cart, using the other hand to reach across to the opposite side of the aisle (can you picture that?), and slowly touching one product at a time. "Hmm, peas. And look, more peas! Yowza."

Sometimes it's done by parking the cart at the end of the aisle and heading over to the magazine section to read yoga magazines. Or, alternatively, if they meet some people they know ("Hey! How *ARE* you!?") they can all cooperate in defending the zone.

Another related thing I could never understand is standing there, doing one of these things, and having me push my cart up behind and not moving. Not only not moving, but not even being aware that I'm there. It boggles me because, if I'm on one end of an aisle and someone enters the opposite end of an aisle, I've now got them on radar. I was tracking them at 20 feet out. There is NO WAY you could walk up to me, especially pushing a cart with one square wheel, and have me not know it. I don't meant to brag like I'm the member of the X-men that got the awareness ability, because this "awareness" thing produces nearly no joy and gobs of frustration. Hey wait, that actually might mean I am a member of the X-men! Kewl.

Usually, if I begin approaching someone and see signs that they're going to be artful, I'll pull out and play with my car keys to add a greater sonic dimension. I think of it as giving them a +2 to their awareness roll. I throw it into the black hole of positive modifiers needed to overcome the many negative ones that they're carting around.

And everything I'm describing can be achieved, and has been achieved for years, without cellphone technology. If you throw a cellphone into the list of defenses, the rude and/or unaware become a fortress. Jingling keys, throat clearing, and even gentle ramming all have ethereal qualities at best against the Death Star that is cellphones.

I will not proceed further.

Where Is My Halftime Pie?
15-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Lager. I swear, people must be pretending to like that stuff.

Unpleasant Scott
15-06-2011, 08:37 PM
People who enter a shop and then stop as soon as they've entered the door, particularly if they've got kids.

Also, Nickelback.

imirk
15-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Lager. I swear, people must be pretending to like that stuff.

You mean beer in general? or the beer flavored~ish water that lager is? the answer to the first is that it is an aquired taste and the second is whats wrong with water?

measurements
16-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Celt - The way you described supermarket zombies ( +2 to awareness roll) was fucking excellent. The anger you commited to prose was eloquent and sublime. Thanks!

tl;dr: lol.

NecroKnight
16-06-2011, 08:22 AM
You mean beer in general? or the beer flavored~ish water that lager is? the answer to the first is that it is an aquired taste and the second is whats wrong with water?

If you ask me 90% of beer tastes the same, like sour piss, just with different grades of sournes. I understand that people drink it, but I don't understand how they find it tastes good.

Donjo
16-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Strangers who want to kiss you on both cheeks.

Driving for pleasure.

Italians generally do this and don't understand it when you cower away from them extending a hand that you expect them to waggle around a bit.

ezekiel2517
16-06-2011, 02:55 PM
If you ask me 90% of beer tastes the same, like sour piss, just with different grades of sournes. I understand that people drink it, but I don't understand how they find it tastes good.
You have to get used to it. What I don't understand is why would you want to.

Skull
16-06-2011, 03:26 PM

Because it gets you pissed?

imirk
16-06-2011, 03:55 PM

because 90% (although maybe by volume in the US-home of the cheapest made water/rice beers) doesn't taste remotely like each other. Fermentation allows such variety and and difference in taste from essentially the same ingredients, anyway I'm letting my inner beer snob come out. What I will never understand is the people who only drink a single kind of beer, there are so many I feel cheated when I have something that I've tried before.

ezekiel2517
17-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Because it gets you pissed?
I suppose, but who would know if being drunk was enjoyable before they tried it in the first place?

It's probably silly of me to ask, but I did always wonder why one would start. When I did, it was all teenage nonsense (I think I was about 13) and it ended before I was of legal age to do so. Did anyone ever get a good taste out of alcohol from the first sip?

Donjo
17-06-2011, 07:24 PM
I suppose, but who would know if being drunk was enjoyable before they tried it in the first place?

It's probably silly of me to ask, but I did always wonder why one would start. When I did, it was all teenage nonsense (I think I was about 13) and it ended before I was of legal age to do so. Did anyone ever get a good taste out of alcohol from the first sip?

I hated olives the first time I tried them and now I find them delicious. The same with a lot of things.
Alcohol is like any drug- it changes your conciousness and perceptions, people use this to change the way they see the world.. sometimes it's healthy to try to see things from the other way around, to come at things from a different perspective...
Some drugs are used to divine meaning from our reality, alcohol is mostly used to celebrate events though, as it loosens inhibitions.
I was feeling fairly unsociable yesterday, but I went to the pub with two friends and after a few drinks I was in a great mood :)

Hmm.. maybe I should stop derailing this thread and write about something I'll never understand :)

Kamikaze-X
17-06-2011, 07:36 PM
People who don't even attempt to write in anything resembling proper written English (if their first language is English, obviously).

It must take a lot more effort to teach yourself to write in a ridiculous amalgamation of English and txt speak than to just write straight English.

deano2099
17-06-2011, 08:19 PM
People who don't even attempt to write in anything resembling proper written English (if their first language is English, obviously).

Along these lines, people who's first language isn't English, and they put in a huge amount of effort to learn this ridiculously convoluted language, and then just stop trying. So they're at the point where they're perfectly comprehendable 99% of the time, but still speak a broken version of English with the wrong prepositions and such, even though they have a massive vocabulary. It's like, your English is so good, if you just sit down and learn about 20 more things, you're done and we'll never know you're not a native speaker.

Dubbill
18-06-2011, 07:05 AM
*resists the temptation to grammar nitpick*

People who stand in front of the ATM counting the money they just received, as if they can argue or negotiate with a faceless machine. Even it did make a mistake, it won't care. Move along!

LittleLizard
18-06-2011, 08:48 AM
One thing I never understood (and probably never will, even though im studing economy) is how germans make capitalism work! Half of the EU is collapsing and just a few weeks ago, Germany increased their estimated economical growth for this fiscal year.
HOW THEY DO THAT?

And sorry for the bad english...

NecroKnight
20-06-2011, 07:41 AM
I don't understand how console gamers like playing FPS's with an gamepad, I tried it and it's just horrible. Before some of you say that I'm just not used to it, I learned how to handle it quite fast, I've even defeated my console gaming friend a few times. It just not possible to aim normal with that thing, it feels so unnatural. The thing I don't understand even more is that since PS Move came out, a lot of people with an PS3 still play their shooter games with an gamepad. Why the hell do they still play with an gamepad when the PS Move is much better suited, with way better controls.

somini
23-06-2011, 03:11 AM
One thing I never understood (and probably never will, even though im studing economy) is how germans make capitalism work! Half of the EU is collapsing and just a few weeks ago, Germany increased their estimated economical growth for this fiscal year.
HOW THEY DO THAT?

And sorry for the bad english...
I guess they are assuming that Greece won't fall... Or Portugal, for that matter. I surely hope so, since I live here...
Either that or Hollywood Accounting.

Wolfenswan
23-06-2011, 11:33 AM
HOW THEY DO THAT?

Germany doesn't make capitalism "work", they just adapt to it's needs accordingly; as in:
wage dumping, an immense cut in social security and unions which to call tame would be understating.

Alex Bakke
23-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Isn't Germany still quite big on Industry, as well?

Vague-rant
28-06-2011, 09:01 AM
I guess they are assuming that Greece won't fall... Or Portugal, for that matter. I surely hope so, since I live here...
Either that or Hollywood Accounting.

Haven't Germany always been a little out of sync with the euro-zone anyway? I remember there was some kerfuffle and they had to have some special circumstances for them to initially join.

As for what I don't understand... How on earth the pharmaceutical industry can sustain itself. Each drug takes like 13 years to produce (min), costs over a billion pounds, the patent probably only lasts another 10 years after that and even then theres a decent chance there'll be some rubbish side effect that takes it off market.

Olero
28-06-2011, 10:28 AM
One thing I've never understood is this:

You come to work, greet your colleagues, your colleagues greet you and you all start to work. So far so good. Then you get yourself a cup of coffee, pass one of your colleagues in the hallway, you get greeted again. Hmm, didn't we just greeted? Going to the printer and seeing a colleague again, they greet again! What the... Even in the toilet they greet you a-bloody-gain.

Why do people do this? And is this an office-illness only or do, for example, road workers do this as well? I Imagine me and my girlfriend doing this all day when we're at home. Which would be pretty awkward...

TillEulenspiegel
28-06-2011, 02:10 PM
How on earth the pharmaceutical industry can sustain itself.
As you say, the answer is patents. And a focus on drugs that will sell, which ideally would subsidize more niche drugs.

The math works out, though. They need only make $100m/year over the lifetime of the patent to meet the cost, and a mere 100,000 patients worldwide paying $1000/year would do that, or a million paying just $100/year. And they'll continue selling reasonably well for a few years until a generic develops a good reputation. Only the "active ingredient" is patented; the specific delivery mechanism, stuff that controls the release rate in a pill, is usually proprietary.

After generics achieve parity, it's a different (but still profitable) business. The original name will still carry a great deal of weight thanks to a decade of marketing, and if it's only 20-30% more expensive, a lot of people will keep buying it another ten years down the road. See, eg, Prilosec.

8-bit
28-06-2011, 02:13 PM
the obsession that the American media seemed to have with the royal wedding a little while ago, I think there was more interest over in the states than there was over here.

As I understand it Iceland is green and Greenland is ice, wtf is up with that, did they do it deliberately to confuse people?

Icarus
28-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Mayonnaise.
Why people like James Blunt.
Homeopathy.

Xercies
28-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Why people like James Blunt.

His songs to me personally are quite good and he definitely brings a passion to his songs that some artists can't be called for, he isn't leading the charge of the advancement of music but he defiantly has a sense that will make a nice pop song that seems a little old fashoined. You might also have to have a feminine persuasion...

HomeopathyIts a damn good placebo effect.

I don't understand why 60-90% chocolate exists, its actually really horrible stuff, how can anyone eat it?

How can a country go bankrupt?

Why are there so many terrible panel shows now on? Yes I'm looking at you the panel show that's about twitter

Icarus
28-06-2011, 03:34 PM
@Xercies, above

His singing voice drives me into a horrendous rage every time I hear it. It sounds like someone hated his accent so much they punched him in the balls and he never fully recovered. He starts singing two bars too early ON A SONG HE WROTE HIMSELF and left it on the album in the mistaken belief that it makes him fresh, funny and generally cool.

Re: Homeopathy. "Here is a sugar pill that will cure your arthritis. That will be £50." Bloody load of nonsense.

Icarus
28-06-2011, 03:34 PM
"How can a country go bankrupt?"

Short version: Socialist governments spend all the money to buy votes during the good times and try to borrow their way out of debt during the bad.

Unaco
28-06-2011, 04:08 PM
People who think Politics is Black vs White, Us vs Them, Right vs Wrong, Right vs Left. People that think their political opponents are their enemies.

Wolfenswan
28-06-2011, 04:33 PM
"How can a country go bankrupt?"

Short version: Socialist governments spend all the money to buy votes during the good times and try to borrow their way out of debt during the bad.

And the long version?

Icarus
28-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Hmm, okay, you got me. I'm actually pretty happy with my summary. Socialist governments tend to spend too much and borrow too much, and then more conservative governments are voted in and have to try to get the country back on it's feet- it's a pattern that's been repeated in the UK several times as well as in other countries.

Rinox
28-06-2011, 06:27 PM
The truth is, a reponsible government has nothing to do with it being socialist or conservative. It mostly has to do with it being responsible...or not.

Xercies
28-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah i get that you can go Bankrupt if your a bit uncareful with your money, but what does the people who own the debt to that country do when the country goes bankrupt. If a person goes bankrupt he loses his home and some of his stuff and other stuff, with a country you can't exactly do that. So that's what the question i was mostly asking.

Sproutmask
28-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Everyone in London takes public transport because the traffic is so bad. So who's driving?!

@man-eater chimp: How dare you sir, I demand satisfaction! Or at the very least some marmite on toast, which is delicious. On the other hand there's no accounting for taste, I've met people who don't like cheese and that's just wrong. You can keep the wheel, trigonometry, sliced bread and splitting the atom, cheese is mankind's single greatest achievement. In fact whoever invented the wheel probably got the idea after watching the local cheese-rolling festival.

Vague-rant
28-06-2011, 08:55 PM
As you say, the answer is patents. And a focus on drugs that will sell, which ideally would subsidize more niche drugs.

But thats assuming every IND is a hit. There's millions that don't (admittedly most of those are cut off early, but there are a fair number that end up being black holes of cash). Anyway, I suppose you must be right and the maths must work out- after all it does exist.

Stense
28-06-2011, 09:23 PM
...On the other hand there's no accounting for taste, I've met people who don't like cheese and that's just wrong. You can keep the wheel, trigonometry, sliced bread and splitting the atom, cheese is mankind's single greatest achievement. In fact whoever invented the wheel probably got the idea after watching the local cheese-rolling festival.

Indeed, cheese is a glorious invention.
I once had a boyfriend who didn't like cheese, as I found out when he was round my place one evening for diner and I whipped up a quick cheese fondue. Needless to say, we aren't together anymore.

Edawan
28-06-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't understand why 60-90% chocolate exists, its actually really horrible stuff, how can anyone eat it?
And I don't understand how anyone can prefer anything else than that.

TillEulenspiegel
29-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Anyway, I suppose you must be right and the maths must work out- after all it does exist.
"The costs of compounds abandoned during testing were linked to the costs of compounds that obtained marketing approval."
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167629602001261

I don't have access to the full article, but reading the abstract, it sounds like they've more or less taken the annual R&D budget and divided it by the number of drugs successfully brought to market to obtain the near-$1 billion per drug estimate. If so, it makes a lot more sense.

Vague-rant
29-06-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't have access to the full article, but reading the abstract, it sounds like they've more or less taken the annual R&D budget and divided it by the number of drugs successfully brought to market to obtain the near-$1 billion per drug estimate. If so, it makes a lot more sense.

Hmm. Somethings up with my Uni's VPN and I can't get access either. But its important to note, that article is just under a decade old and a lot of testing requirements have gotten more severe since then raising costs, and more importantly the amount of precious patent years eaten up by R&D.

Also, it's probably ok for the largest pharma companies who can offset risks with multiple trials at any one time, but everyone else could have a bad year where nothing is viable in which case they're literally sunk. I suppose in that sense its not that dissimilar to other markets where you go broke if your "next big thing" flops, but with such a long time of R&D, combined with the patent clock, and the astonishingly high rate of failures, I struggle to imagine it being a sustainable.

I do see your point though- one big drug can make a LOT of cash. Whether or not you get that drug comes down to chance though.

Red Denim Warrior
29-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't understand that how some people actually like Eurosong. I mean most of the songs are stupid & repetetive.
I also don't understand how the German's & Austrian's like their comedians, parodies and sitcoms, I really don't. I watched some of their movies, shows and stand-up comedians. Most of the time I would stare into the screen and wonder how the f**k is this supposed to be funny?! The humor is just horrible, it's so infantile, stupid and boring. There were some OK shows, but there weren't any that were actually very good.Seen Chris Lilley? I agree with you, Australia can't seem to do comedy for shit but his stuff is amazing.

What is this obsession with them? It's killing our imagination. I know developers always go the safe route but really now, are people really more inclined to buy a fantasy game if they see they have elves and dwarves?Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Dragons, Wizards, Centaurs, Medieval time period, the whole shebang. It's the most boring thing ever.

I don't get My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic at ALL. I've watched it, several episodes of it, I've made an effort to like it but it's just so mediocre & I can't understand in the slightest how it's become the phenomenon it is.

Vague-rant
29-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Seen Chris Lilley? I agree with you, Australia can't seem to do comedy for shit but his stuff is amazing.

He said Austrian rather than Australian.

Red Denim Warrior
30-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Oh wow he did.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/2079118961_08150e7b12.jpg

Whoops...

Outright Villainy
04-07-2011, 03:39 PM
2 and a half men. Seriously, that show is television weaponised for torture purposes. How anyone even stands it, let alone enjoys it, is beyond me.

Kanye west. This is even less about taste here (though I hate his voice and lyrics as well anyway), every time I hear Kanye west he's rapping out of time. Surely, that's like the most basic thing to get right!

NecroKnight
05-07-2011, 08:00 AM
2 and a half men. Seriously, that show is television weaponised for torture purposes. How anyone even stands it, let alone enjoys it, is beyond me.

Kanye west. This is even less about taste here (though I hate his voice and lyrics as well anyway), every time I hear Kanye west he's rapping out of time. Surely, that's like the most basic thing to get right!

I saw a few episodes, it looked OK. Nothing special, just alright.

Kadayi
05-07-2011, 09:18 PM
People raving about World War Z. Quite frankly one of the most underwhelming books I have ever read in my entire life (and for my sins I've read quite a bit). I'll give Max Brooks some props for really thinking through his zombies, but at same time I have to deduct points for every frickken overused racial cliche/stereotype he employs. City trader dude = total cock? check. South African guy = Nazi? Check. Russian Guy = absurdly brutal? Check Japanese dude = zen master and/or nerd with Katana? Check. English = chinless wonders apparently obsessed with the royalty? Check. Uggh the list goes on. Also China & North Korea seemingly get smoked, whilst the US of A after an initial defeat (the infamous battle at yonkers) rally themselves and then show the rest of the world how it's done. Oh yeah let's not also forget Israel somehow finds a heart and despite years of indiscriminately carpet bombing Gaza on a regular basis bizarrely opens it's gates to save the Palestinians from the zombie menace (yeah right...).

Donjo
05-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I thought it was a bit crap.

Alex Bakke
05-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Mayonnaise. Amongst other things.

Xercies
06-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Transformers 3 getting ok reviews, is this an alternative universe where we praise that a filmaker made the same sexist, racist and downright terrible film again?

Kadayi
06-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Transformers 3 getting ok reviews, is this an alternative universe where we praise that a filmaker made the same sexist, racist and downright terrible film again?

I liked the IO9 review where they basically outlined that the entire subtext of the film was Michael Bay telling everyone that they were wrong about Transformers 2, and taking some none too subtle potshots at Megan Fox in the process. Classy.

The JG Man
06-07-2011, 03:35 AM
People asking for feedback and then having a go at you when you don't give entirely positive feedback. Why ask?

Kadayi
06-07-2011, 07:26 AM
People asking for feedback and then having a go at you when you don't give entirely positive feedback. Why ask?

Much depends on how you frame something I guess.

The JG Man
06-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I entirely agree, but some people just jump from one negative that what you have to say is that you thought it was complete shit. If I say the content of something is great, but the presentation could do with a few tweaks, I don't think I'm calling for blood.

Grizzly
08-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Economics in general. To me, they are like rollercoasters: When it goes up, everyone is still rather chatty and cheerfull. When it goes down, everone starts to scream a lot.

As I understand it Iceland is green and Greenland is ice, wtf is up with that, did they do it deliberately to confuse people?Apperently, when Greenland was first set foot on, the part they set foot on was rather green, especially compared to the huge dark grey blue ocean they had to cross in order to get there. It also may have been warmer at that point in history (Medieval warming period).

And it apperently will turn green again soon, which is good for the greenlanders (and Denmark) since there are a lot of natural resources unmined under the ice.

Xercies
08-07-2011, 12:50 PM
How our economy doesn't technically exist in any shape of form, its just numbers in a computer. There is no gold standard anymore so those numbers can mean anything really.

Firkragg
11-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Apperently, when Greenland was first set foot on, the part they set foot on was rather green, especially compared to the huge dark grey blue ocean they had to cross in order to get there. It also may have been warmer at that point in history (Medieval warming period).

And it apperently will turn green again soon, which is good for the greenlanders (and Denmark) since there are a lot of natural resources unmined under the ice.

Now this is just something we learned when we first started out in middleschool, we were very young but I always loved the explanation for why this is. It probably isn't even true what our teacher told us, but here we go:

When asked why Greenland ("Grønland") was named so, she told us that the Viking who discovered the place, had to come up with a good name in order to entice more vikings to actually go back - who'd want to take a gods-know-how-long-trip-at-sea to such a hostile place? So the Viking named it Greenland, because it made it sound much more cozy than it actually is.
And then she pointed out that Iceland was named so, so when Vikings took shelter there, they would eventually set sail again, because who'd want to stay on Iceland if Greenland is just over yonder? :)

A story so bizarre I can still remember it. Unreal history.

Oh, and people who can play Lost Planet 2 and enjoy it, this I do not understand.

Stense
11-07-2011, 09:13 PM
So Greenland is named so because of a cynical middle-ages PR campaign? I like that theory too.

NecroKnight
12-07-2011, 10:33 AM
The name Greenland comes from the early Scandinavian settlers. In the Icelandic sagas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagas_of_Icelanders), it is said that Norwegian-born Erik the Red (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_the_Red) was exiled from Iceland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland) for murder. He, along with his extended family and thralls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrall), set out in ships to find a land rumoured to lie to the northwest. After settling there, he named the land Grønland ("Greenland"), supposedly in the hope that the pleasant name would attract settlers.<SUP id=cite_ref-6 class=reference>[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland#cite_note-6)</SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-7 class=reference>[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland#cite_note-7)</SUP>
Greenland was also called Gruntland ("Ground-land") and Engronelant (or Engroneland) on early maps. Whether green is an erroneous transcription of grunt ("ground"), which refers to shallow bays, or vice versa, is not known. The southern portion of Greenland (not covered by glaciers) is relatively green in the summer.

squirrel
12-07-2011, 03:04 PM
I dont understand. Why every dollar bill those banksters print is equivalent to every dollar I earn from my hard work?!

Why is there inflation?

Kelron
12-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I dont understand. Why every dollar bill those banksters print is equivalent to every dollar I earn from my hard work?!

Why is there inflation?

Tricky one, I don't understand it well enough to give you more than a basic answer but hopefully I'm not getting it totally wrong.

Money is a system of exchange, a dollar bill has no intrinsic value itself, it's worth only what people are prepared to give you for it. If a country starts printing money faster than its economy is growing, then the real value of each unit of currency will decrease. To take a simple example, say there's 10 people in a village who each get $10 a week, and the local baker sells them a loaf of bread each for $1. If those 10 villagers then start receiving $20 a week, it won't make them want more bread. If the baker continues selling bread at $1/loaf, he'll have half the income of the other villagers. So he starts selling it at $2/loaf - but not because the bread is more valuable. If there's more money available but the number of physical goods being sold remains constant, then the money will lose value.

If you're interested in how the financial system came into being, and the basics of how it works, I recently read this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ascent-Money-Financial-History-World/dp/014103548X) and found it very informative. It's a relatively easy read, I went into it with minimal previous knowledge. Perhaps a bit biased towards the author's own opinions on the effectiveness of various systems, but a good read anyway.

squirrel
19-07-2011, 11:37 AM
If you're interested in how the financial system came into being, and the basics of how it works, I recently read this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ascent-Money-Financial-History-World/dp/014103548X) and found it very informative. It's a relatively easy read, I went into it with minimal previous knowledge. Perhaps a bit biased towards the author's own opinions on the effectiveness of various systems, but a good read anyway.

Thanks for the introduction. I would see if I can find this book in local bookstore.

I'm from China. Our country used to adopt silver economy during imperial time and early republican period. Paper money, in most time, was merely just for convenience of removing transportation cost of heavy silver. Therefore, it's silver that had value, not something like government credit or else as collateral. (I heard that there was once a time while Germany used real estate as collateral to print money during inter-war period, I really want to know how this worked.) It was during the Mongolian rule while those greedy Mongols started to print money without silver or gold reserve, than our country first experienced inflation. Inflation was brought back to our country during Qing dynasty while our corrupted and weak Qing Court could not reject the demand of international bankers to issue paper money on our land, and inflation problem lasts till these days. Powerful figures understood the nature of those new money and if permitted they often chose to retain silver or gold as true money. It is after 1949 that most finally were force to relinquish private ownership of bullion. Of course, these days our government started to relax those control. I am not sure how the new system work as I am too poor to own any bullion. But I know that in old days, people found "guilty" of hoarding or transporting bullion were subject to capital punishment.

I really wonder, who grant those bankers authority to issue currency. You see, if no one can print money, that is, if every penny is hard earned, price of bread should always be $1 per loaf. You are very right that if the baker doesnt inflate his price of bread his income would be reduced by half. But come to think of it. Who does another half of the baker's income goes to? It's not to the other villagers, but to the one who print out $100 more, then buy goods or services from those 10 villagers with $10 to each villager.

Vague-rant
19-07-2011, 02:56 PM
What if the baker gets better at baking bread (we theoretically should all be getting better at out jobs with practice)? Or how about all the change that falls down drains? The value of all goods will change inevitably. $1 per loaf forever is impossible. And we come to the conclusion that if all values are constantly shifting anyway, why can't money?

A gold/fixed standard will also be a serious hindrance in a global economy where everyone else is printing cash to buy stuff from you.

The banker shouldn't be "printing" for himself. Obviously. There should be a governing body. Bank of England or equivalent I imagine. They should then lend that money out as a cash injection to small business helping the economy grow. (2% inflation by the way is considered ideal for economic growth without being too risky.). Everyone benefits. Inflation isn't instant. There'll be a while where that extra $10 does get everyone an extra loaf of bread, or something else. That new business that's been set up should be part of an increase in output that will eventually counteract the existence of the "new" money.

Edit; Its been a long time since I've done economics.

GothicEmperor
19-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Oh, and people who can play Lost Planet 2 and enjoy it, this I do not understand.
Playing it co-op during a LAN party with beer and bad music isn't a terrible way of wasting time. Mind you, practically any game becomes mildly amusing when you play it co-op with beer and pretzels.

Kelron
20-07-2011, 03:51 PM
The banker shouldn't be "printing" for himself. Obviously. There should be a governing body. Bank of England or equivalent I imagine. They should then lend that money out as a cash injection to small business helping the economy grow. (2% inflation by the way is considered ideal for economic growth without being too risky.). Everyone benefits. Inflation isn't instant. There'll be a while where that extra $10 does get everyone an extra loaf of bread, or something else. That new business that's been set up should be part of an increase in output that will eventually counteract the existence of the "new" money.

Edit; Its been a long time since I've done economics.

My own understanding of the subject is really very limited, but I imagine population growth has something to do with the ideal rate of inflation. More people -> more consumption of goods, more workers available, more room for expansion as long as there's enough money to go around and pay for it.

Lukasz
24-07-2011, 05:35 AM
I really wonder, who grant those bankers authority to issue currency. You see, if no one can print money, that is, if every penny is hard earned, price of bread should always be $1 per loaf. You are very right that if the baker doesnt inflate his price of bread his income would be reduced by half. But come to think of it. Who does another half of the baker's income goes to? It's not to the other villagers, but to the one who print out $100 more, then buy goods or services from those 10 villagers with $10 to each villager.
Step by step

A central bank is granted authority to print money to
a)replace damaged coins and banknotes (coins have a long life time but banknotes from one year to just five years)
b)infuse money to economy
c)government needs more money so they print more money

Point a is simple. just replenish physical money which cannot be used anymore
Point c happens in third world countries which leads to hyperinflations aka in one hour price of cup of tea can double. It's... done in very small scale in more civilized countries but there must be special circumstances for that.
Point b is what you might not understand why it happens.

Central bank is given authority by the government to print money. There are special legislation, rules etc. to prevent government from influencing the bank too much. to prevent point c happening. Talking about normal countries of course.

i hope i can put it simple

We have this village economy. 10 villager with 10 dollars each.

so total value of the economy is 100 dollars.

if nothing changes then that value would stay the same. but reality does change.

so one of the villagers, lets call him Sam spends 10 dollars a day on various goods and earns 10 dollars a day by baking bread.
One day he found a way to bake more efficient. so he still gets 10 dollars but he does not spend 10 dollars anymore as his new method of baking allows him to make same bread cheaper.
so sam is getting richer but Bob who provided goods to make bread is getting poorer as Sam does not spend as much as he used to.
to combat that Bob raises his prices by one dollar.

so the economy is valued at 101 dollars but there is only 100 dollars in circulation. so they print one extra dollar to meet the difference.

then consider this situation.

Sam decides that to his bread it would be nice to sell some chickens. chickens were not present in the village before. He goes to Bob and asks:

Can you work for free today for me and I will pay you tomorrow?
So Sam and Bob work on setting up chicken farm for one day.
Sam can sell his chickens now but village still has only 101 dollars to spend which are already spend everywhere so nobody has any savings.

but Sam owns money to Bob for helping to set up the chicken farm. Let's say one dollar. So Bob wealth is not 10 dollars anymore but 11 dollars.
Sam worth tough is not 10 dollars but also 11 dollars now. He has the normal 10 dollars, minus one dollar he owns to Bob but the chicken farm is worth 2 dollars (since Sam and Bob worked equally hard on setting it up)

So economy is now worth 103 dollars. with only 101 dollars in circulation.

So technically Sam cannot profit that 2 dollars from a chicken farm but..

Susan wants some chicken but she already spent 10 of her dollars. Sam still needs to give one dollar to Bob.

She offers to watch over chickens for Sam which is worth 1 dollar in chickens.

So economy value has gone once again without actual physical money increasing (Starting 100 dollars, Susan's extra one dollar for watching chickens, Bob extra dollar for working to set up the chicken farm and Sam's chicken farm worth 2 dollars to total of $104). Sam who is richer than other villagers because of his smarts and extra hard work still cannot pay Bob. Solution is to inject some cash.

so now Susan gets to spend 10 dollars like she did before but she also have a chicken now. Bob has 10 dollars to spend but he also have extra one dollar as savings.
Sam still gets 10 dollars from his bakery but after paying off Bob he owns one dollar to the village as when they printed the money to meet new scenario the extra dollar went to Bob putting Sam in debt towards the whole village. But he has chicken farm now which so he repays by giving out one dollar worth of chickens.
so next day
Sam gets 10 dollars
Susan gets 10 dollars and a chicken
Bob gets 10 dollars and has a saving of one dollar.

Bob then decides to spend his one dollar. He doesn't want chicken. He wants something else. Something which belongs to the original 100 dollar economy for example an olive oil.
Susan also sells olive oil. That's how she spend and made 10 dollars every time. Bob wants to buy olive oil but so does everyone else who were buying before. Since her supply is limited she can do only one thing. Raise the price. Bob will be able to pay since he has his money earned from working with Sam, others will somehow manage to pay too except one for whom the price will be too steep and that person would have to find an alternative...

but it happened.
Inflation. The value of economy went up. The price of baking needs and olive oil went up and that extra 2 dollars (1 dollar for increased prices on baking needs but not increase value of economy and 1 dollar for olive oil which does lead from increased value of the economy) which did not exist before Sam improved his baking practice had been now introduced to the economy to circle around.

Hopefully it is simple understandtable example. Of course real world is much more complicated and things are interconnected much more.

and hopefully i didn't mess up something.

R-F
24-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Things I'll never understand:
Fanboyism
YouTube Poop - Or how people find it at all funny.
Those girls that make themselves turn orange with fake tan and think they look gorgeous and tanned

Anyone care to explain any of these?

NecroKnight
24-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Human stupidity

Xercies
24-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Those girls that make themselves turn orange with fake tan and think they look gorgeous and tanned

Because in some circles people find that attractive, or the women themselves find themselves more beutiful. We do have men say they like more tanned women from certain countries or certain parts of countries.

Fanboyism

Have you never loved an artist, world, story so much that you never wanted it to end and really wanted to know everything about them and wanted to meet the people that did them? That is fanboyism.

Flint
24-07-2011, 01:54 PM
YouTube Poop - Or how people find it at all funny.
YouTube Poop is all fine by me because it lead to YouTube Poop Music Videos which lead to the emergence of this piece of perfection (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFMwgOfdG_M).

sinomatic
24-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Have you never loved an artist, world, story so much that you never wanted it to end and really wanted to know everything about them and wanted to meet the people that did them? That is fanboyism.

I'd say (my definition of) fanboyism is more loving something so much that you fail (or outright refuse) to see any flaws in or allow criticism of, the subject of your adoration. It's entirely possible to be into something to the extent you mention without becoming blinkered and defensive about it to others.

I imagine that's the type of fanboyism we're not understanding.

Xercies
24-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Hmm the thing is that kind of fanboyism kind of does go with what I'm saying, you love it so much that you actually can't see the flaws in the work and get defensive when other people can. Also you probably get angry at people changing it because you love the work how it originally was presented.

I think its basically a kind of childlike emotion we still carry with it. Not to disparage it to anything, i think at some level fanboyism is ok. Extreme Fanboyism like any other extreme thing though is not.

measurements
24-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Things I'll never understand:

Anyone care to explain any of these?

I'll take a stab at this one: You might find that the girls that do this actually have very low self esteem. It's a mask they are hiding behind (it just happens to be a fucking terrible one due to how retarded fashion is, but then fashion has always been about fakery).

I don't understand why we create huge divisions and social barriers between us and then suffer immensely from loneliness. It's like self harm on a societal scale.

TheLastBaron
24-07-2011, 07:45 PM
People that hate games based purely on what platform they're on

mejobloggs
25-07-2011, 12:08 AM
I'll never understand the people who "like" their own stuff in Facebook

I'll never understand why it's possible to like/+1 your own stuff

I don't even know why you'd want to. The whole thing makes my head hurt lol

R-F
25-07-2011, 01:01 AM

Oh, don't worry, I understand THAT.

What I don't understand is how people will defend a particular company or game to the death because they love it so. Like BioWare fanboys defending the cliché or certain trite characters with "THEY'RE PERFECT BECAUSE THEY'RE WRITTEN BY BIOWARE".

YouTube Poop is all fine by me because it lead to YouTube Poop Music Videos which lead to the emergence of this piece of perfection (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFMwgOfdG_M).

See, that's not YouTube Poop, to me. That's GOOD. It's not like the "random" shit some of them do.

Xercies
25-07-2011, 09:56 AM
I don't understand how people can not like anime art style so much that they won't buy a game because it has that style and hate it automatically. I'm a bit of a nerd at these things and anime is definitly a part of it so I really don't get how that style turns people off, its just an art style it has nothing to do if the game is good enough.

I can understand maybe some things in that art style like the sexualisation of younger girls and stuff like that, but that isn't all anime. You can't tar all of an art style for some people working in that art style.

sinomatic
25-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Because its a matter of taste?

I find that art style horribly off-putting, to the point that I struggle to enjoy or engage with it because it is offending my eyes to such a large extent. If it makes you feel better, I feel the same way about the style of animation used in Ren & Stimpy, so its not just anime.

Track
25-07-2011, 04:24 PM
For me, it depends. I do admit that something like Recettear's art style (with the overdone eyes and hair and such) is really off-putting to me, but I have no qualms with anime itself. Akira, for example, is one of the most beautiful pieces of film that i've ever seen.

Tikey
25-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Because its a matter of taste?

I find that art style horribly off-putting, to the point that I struggle to enjoy or engage with it because it is offending my eyes to such a large extent. If it makes you feel better, I feel the same way about the style of animation used in Ren & Stimpy, so its not just anime.

I agree (both on anime and Ren & Stimpy
But I've really liked the Phoenix Wright games. I don't like the style and lots of its... "bad habits" but if the work is good enough I'm willing to let it slide.

Nalano
25-07-2011, 06:37 PM
"PC Gaming is dying..." repeated over and over for a quarter of a century.

Xercies
25-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Thats because console kiddies think that if it isn't being spoken about in wider circles it must be because it has died.

TheLastBaron
25-07-2011, 11:59 PM
I find that the people that complain the PC gaming is dying are usually PC gamers, the same way that strategy gamers always say that the genre is dying.

Kody94
26-07-2011, 12:33 AM
I have an idea, let's all start telling people that the entire automobile industry is dying. It's just a matter of time before the obviously superior mopeds and Segways rule the streets. Bonus points if you actually own a moped and/or Segway.

Back on topic, I'll never understand social networking sites. They're collectively a bloated cesspool of narcissism from what I see. A blog with a brief bio is one thing, a page dedicated to everything me, where my goal is to coerce people into acknowledging my every thought and action is another.

WitchfinderG
26-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Back on topic, I'll never understand social networking sites. They're collectively a bloated cesspool of narcissism from what I see. A blog with a brief bio is one thing, a page dedicated to everything me, where my goal is to coerce people into acknowledging my every thought and action is another.

Amen my brother, amen.

People "Checking in" at every place they go is a pain in my brain. Its either self absorbed or just very stupid.

8-bit
26-07-2011, 01:29 AM
ok so Henry has a blunt axe and Liza suggests that to sharpen it he needs to wet a rock, henry then complains that he cant fetch the water because he has a hole in his bucket. what I don't understand is why henry needs a bucket to fetch water for the rock when he could just take the rock, go to a nearby river, and sharpen his axe there.

actually I don't understand why Henry thinks its necessary to tell Liza that he has a hole in his bucket in the first place. presumably he is some sort of labourer and is experienced in the use and repair of all sorts of equipment in his line of work, so why on earth does a bucket have him so baffled that he needs to seek advice on how to repair it.

Cable
26-07-2011, 01:37 AM
well i may be wrong but i have always viewed henry as a whiny 9 year old boy whose parents let him play with axes, and also maybe it's a really big rock?

Xercies
26-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Eh I find socail networking sites not to bad, I mean I do have an account and I do use it but not to the extent of some people. I find it kind of useful to know what people are doing when I'm not with them or soemthign like that. I don't understand how people can spend hours on it though when it looks like there just doing nothing much on there but staring at the same thing they were staring at before.

thegooseking
29-07-2011, 02:25 PM
I will never understand why the people who are most outspoken about the very specific way they think games should be are also the ones who complain the most about the same old thing being released again and again. If all games conformed to the way you say they should be, the same old thing would still be released again and again. It would just be a different same old thing.

TillEulenspiegel
29-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Back on topic, I'll never understand social networking sites. They're collectively a bloated cesspool of narcissism from what I see.
Back when Facebook was restricted to universities, it was a pretty awesome way to meet friends of friends *nudge nudge wink wink*. Maybe it's still a bit like that, but it's lost its small, quasi-private communities which made it an interesting social phenomenon in the first place.

Now, it's still useful as a glorified Rolodex.

People "Checking in" at every place they go is a pain in my brain. Its either self absorbed or just very stupid.
Foursquare really, really could've been awesome. It should have been a cool way to meet new people with similar interests in the real world. Instead it's a fairly cumbersome way to track people who are already your friends, combined with a pointless achievements game.

Nalano
29-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Back when Facebook was restricted to universities, it was a pretty awesome way to meet friends of friends *nudge nudge wink wink*.

This. Joined FB when it was just the Ivy League, and used it mostly to stalk/meet girls I kinda almost remember seeing at the last collective alcohol-poisoning session.

Since then have had to purge a lotta drunken pics as coworkers, employers, family and students (!) entered the mix.

Wooly Wugga Wugga
31-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Since my family is scattered across the globe Facebook is an awesome tool to keep in contact, share pictures of great moments we have with our kids and just generally maintain some family cohesion in a fashion that would not be possible if Facebook did not exist.

Xercies
31-07-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't understand these debate shows on the TV on Sunday mornings, they put the most terrible questions to the public which you know the answer there going to get. Like this morning "Should people learn english when they come over here" Can i get a Yes Ray. Talk about a question to get all those racists in and let them have an excuse. Ergh, and the other questions weren't any better.

R-F
31-07-2011, 08:39 PM
How people can enjoy Call of Duty Black Ops (at least on PC, I didn't play the console version).

Played that during the free weekend and god it is the worst FPS I have ever played. And, yes, it was multiplayer. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but it felt like I was playing the most sluggish FPS in the world.

Kind of the same for Battlefield 2 etc. Any "realistic" FPS that is not at all realistic confuses the shit out of me. Why not play ArmA2 or something? Or play a much better FPS like TF2.

Also, they committed the ultimate sin: NO hats.

8-bit
31-07-2011, 09:00 PM
has anyone seen that shower gel advert, the one that tries to look like its from Japan? the guy wakes up and goes to the bathroom, then after moving the shower curtain all the shelves fall down, an animal thing then offers help in the form of a shower gel bottle with a hook.

ok.

only it doesn't make any sense, the problem was with his girlfriends stuff cluttering up the bathroom, how on earth is this solved by introducing an item for the guy? when he wakes up the next day those shelves are going to fall down again, the hook does nothing so why are they celebrating? I just, I don't unders... WHY?

Kody94
31-07-2011, 09:33 PM
How people can enjoy Call of Duty Black Ops (at least on PC, I didn't play the console version).

Played that during the free weekend and god it is the worst FPS I have ever played. And, yes, it was multiplayer. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but it felt like I was playing the most sluggish FPS in the world.

Kind of the same for Battlefield 2 etc. Any "realistic" FPS that is not at all realistic confuses the shit out of me. Why not play ArmA2 or something? Or play a much better FPS like TF2.

Also, they committed the ultimate sin: NO hats.

I've heard a lot of criticism about the PC version of Black Ops, but I don't personally have a problem with the console version. I still prefer PC for my "serious" gaming sessions, but none of my buddies own a PC that can run the games I play or they're not willing to spend money on said games. And if they do acquire the games it's often difficult to assist the less...technically literate users among us actually connect to the server or configure the game or patch it, etc. Much easier to just pop in Black Ops and enjoy a session of Zombies on the weekend.

I can't give an unbiased explanation of Battlefield 2. That game was to me what Counter-Strike is to most games. The pinnacle of FPS achievement to my younger, formative mind. That's where I learned to play as a teammate, where I learned that different support roles are necessary to win, where I met some of my best long distance friends, where I learned to love (and later hate) clans, and where I first discovered the world of modding.

R-F
31-07-2011, 10:41 PM
has anyone seen that shower gel advert, the one that tries to look like its from Japan? the guy wakes up and goes to the bathroom, then after moving the shower curtain all the shelves fall down, an animal thing then offers help in the form of a shower gel bottle with a hook.

ok.

only it doesn't make any sense, the problem was with his girlfriends stuff cluttering up the bathroom, how on earth is this solved by introducing an item for the guy? when he wakes up the next day those shelves are going to fall down again, the hook does nothing so why are they celebrating? I just, I don't unders... WHY?

It's a pisstake of Japanese adverts? :p

I've heard a lot of criticism about the PC version of Black Ops, but I don't personally have a problem with the console version. I still prefer PC for my "serious" gaming sessions, but none of my buddies own a PC that can run the games I play or they're not willing to spend money on said games. And if they do acquire the games it's often difficult to assist the less...technically literate users among us actually connect to the server or configure the game or patch it, etc. Much easier to just pop in Black Ops and enjoy a session of Zombies on the weekend.

I can't give an unbiased explanation of Battlefield 2. That game was to me what Counter-Strike is to most games. The pinnacle of FPS achievement to my younger, formative mind. That's where I learned to play as a teammate, where I learned that different support roles are necessary to win, where I met some of my best long distance friends, where I learned to love (and later hate) clans, and where I first discovered the world of modding.

Ehhh, so roughly "because it was my first love"? :p I guess I get it, I feel the same way about the original Unreal Tournament.

Kody94
01-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Pretty much, yeah.

Xercies
01-08-2011, 10:52 AM
You know what...a lot of games get a pass because its there first love. I still look forward to every Final Fantasy game even though there quality is going down hill a lot just because FF7 was one of those.

8-bit
21-08-2011, 03:01 PM
mirrors in showers.

not like the bath shower combo (although it may also apply to that situation), but those standing showers, and they have mirrors in them.

what to the designers think people are going to be looking at, do they not understand what happens when you have a mirror in a closed space with a lot of steam?

thegooseking
21-08-2011, 03:36 PM
mirrors in showers.

not like the bath shower combo (although it may also apply to that situation), but those standing showers, and they have mirrors in them.

what to the designers think people are going to be looking at, do they not understand what happens when you have a mirror in a closed space with a lot of steam?

I've heard that some guys shave in the shower. Don't particularly understand that, myself. But then I haven't wet-shaved in a long time at all.

Kadayi
21-08-2011, 04:43 PM
mirrors in showers.

It's a bit weird but basically they are easier to clean, as you can easily see grime etc. Plus for sexy times in Hotels. Also because they reflect light they make tight spaces look bigger.

8-bit
21-08-2011, 05:16 PM
hmmm, I see you point but what about behind the mirror, thats got to be difficult to clean and probably quite gross since sometimes they aren't removable. oh well, I just think its silly if you have a mirror when you wont be able to see anything in it, unless its used to reflect laser beams but thats a different issue entirely.

Nalano
21-08-2011, 06:04 PM
People who use regularly apostrophes when they mean plural, not possessive.

It's FPSs, not FPS's. The only - only - exception is it's. ONLY!

thegooseking
21-08-2011, 06:36 PM
People who use regularly apostrophes when they mean plural, not possessive.

It's FPSs, not FPS's. The only - only - exception is it's. ONLY!

FPS's is acceptable because it's an abbreviation, so the apostrophe stands for a contraction. Which leads me onto a FUN FACT!!! There is no such thing as a possessive apostrophe. Old English had (as many languages, particularly Nordic languages, still have) a grammatical genitive case to indicate possession. By far the most common genitive ending was '-es', to the extent that by the time modern English rolled around, that was basically the only genitive ending that was used (we call this process 'regularisation'). In "apostrophe-s", the apostrophe was originally just a way of indicating that the 'e' from the '-es' genitive ending has been elided, not anything specific to possession.

Possessive pronouns like its, yours, his, etc. don't have an apostrophe because those are genuine genitive case pronouns and there's no contraction.

Nalano
21-08-2011, 06:42 PM
FPS's is acceptable because it's an abbreviation, so the apostrophe stands for a contraction. Which leads me onto a FUN FACT!!! There is no such thing as a possessive apostrophe. Old English had (as many languages, particularly Nordic languages, still have) a grammatical genitive case to indicate possession. By far the most common genitive ending was '-es', to the extent that by the time modern English rolled around, that was basically the only genitive ending that was used (we call this process 'regularisation'). In "apostrophe-s", the apostrophe was originally just a way of indicating that the 'e' from the '-es' genitive ending has been elided, not anything specific to possession.

Possessive pronouns like its, yours, his, etc. don't have an apostrophe because those are genuine genitive case pronouns and there's no contraction.

You illustrate a great point about the internet:

Anybody can be very eloquently wrong. The language we speak and write is modern English, not what you're arguing from.

thegooseking
21-08-2011, 06:45 PM
You illustrate a great point about the internet:

Anybody can be very eloquently wrong. The language we speak and write is modern English, not what you're arguing from.

I'm talking about modern English. I'm just explaining how it came to be that way. Not my fault if most people are wrong about why we use apostrophes to signify possession.

Keep
21-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I've heard that some guys shave in the shower. Don't particularly understand that, myself. But then I haven't wet-shaved in a long time at all.

Hot water opens your pores and makes for a smoother shave (hence hot towel shaves). But trying to steam up your chin isn't typically easy, when does that ever happen anyway?

I don't get intelligence. How sometimes you can judge a friend as really with it and astute, and at other times as naive and clueless and dumb. I mean sure, situation and mood and the moment matters, but I feel I can have a handle on the sense in which someone is intelligent, and at the same time, a handle on the sense in which they're an idiot. How's that make sense?
Memory's not like that. Reflexes aren't. So what exactly is this thing "intelligence" I don't get it.

TillEulenspiegel
22-08-2011, 03:18 AM
So what exactly is this thing "intelligence" I don't get it.
When designing a generic RPG system, I defined it fairly narrowly: intelligence measures logical thinking ability and capacity for learning.

Personality traits that may cause irrational behavior/beliefs are not included. You may be able to think logically, but that doesn't mean you will. It is also unrelated to, say, social awareness or intuition.

R-F
22-08-2011, 04:00 AM
mirrors in showers.

Mirrors in bedrooms. I hate them so much.

NecroKnight
22-08-2011, 07:55 AM
I don't understand people who like NASCAR. It's a bunch of cars driving in circles over & over & over again. It's so boring and how can people find that interesting or amusing?

Keep
22-08-2011, 12:16 PM
capacity for learning

This I'd get behind, that's a good point. But this

logical thinking ability

I wouldn't. In fact maybe that's my beef. Let me illustrate: Have you ever watched a conspiracy theorist expound his ideas (not a foaming at the mouth one, but a calm rational type)?
Because what they're saying is nuts, and idiocy of the first degree, but yet boy they can be so very intelligent, they have researched it, they have synthesised their knowledge, they have put things together, and each step is logical and intelligent and humble and sceptical even. But it's all NUTS, it's in defense of lizard-men, or illuminati, or something so ludicrous you couldn't possibly regard the holder of such beliefs as intelligent at all.

Nalano
22-08-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm talking about modern English. I'm just explaining how it came to be that way. Not my fault if most people are wrong about why we use apostrophes to signify possession.

Etymology is interesting, and we're still basically making it up as we go along, but however we got there, there are still standards.

I don't get intelligence. How sometimes you can judge a friend as really with it and astute, and at other times as naive and clueless and dumb.

Intelligence is capacity for learning.
Wisdom is accumulated knowledge.

In gaming terms, High Int Low Wis is your standard "absent-minded professor." Low Int High Wis is your "stoic veteran."

I wouldn't. In fact maybe that's my beef. Let me illustrate: Have you ever watched a conspiracy theorist expound his ideas (not a foaming at the mouth one, but a calm rational type)?

Because what they're saying is nuts, and idiocy of the first degree, but yet boy they can be so very intelligent, they have researched it, they have synthesised their knowledge, they have put things together, and each step is logical and intelligent and humble and sceptical even. But it's all NUTS, it's in defense of lizard-men, or illuminati, or something so ludicrous you couldn't possibly regard the holder of such beliefs as intelligent at all.

False premise + solid logic = false conclusion

Anthile
22-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Exactly what a lizardman would say. I am watching you.

Nalano
22-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Exactly what a lizardman would say. I am watching you.

What a ridiculoussssss notion.

Keep
22-08-2011, 07:40 PM

I get that point, fair enough, but I think it's oversimplifying things. This is a real person we're talking about, who actually lives a life somewhere. What's the premise to his theories, to his understanding of the world?
If he really was intelligent (where intelligent = capable learner) then wouldn't he have encountered enough to teach him "Dude that conspiracy crap is nonsense"? Wouldn't he be sensitive to the naysayers, the society, the academic and cultural evidence that comes before him every day?
The only way I can make sense of a conspiracy nut is to assume he's someone who'd be blind, stubborn, and stupid when it comes to such things.

So intelligence really can't equal "a capacity to learn". Not out in the real world, as expressed in real people.

@Anthile, If there were lizard people here, I'm ssssssssure we'd know.

thegooseking
22-08-2011, 07:45 PM
I get that point, fair enough, but I think it's oversimplifying things. This is a real person we're talking about, who actually lives a life somewhere. What's the premise to his theories, to his understanding of the world?
If he really was intelligent (where intelligent = capable learner) then wouldn't he have encountered enough to teach him "Dude that conspiracy crap is nonsense"? Wouldn't he be sensitive to the naysayers, the society, the academic and cultural evidence that comes before him every day?
The only way I can make sense of a conspiracy nut is to assume he's someone who'd be blind, stubborn, and stupid when it comes to such things.

The human brain is very susceptible to confirmation bias, motivated reasoning and pareidolia. These things are also the cornerstones of most conspiracy theories. In some senses, conspiracy theorists aren't really all that crazy; they're just giving in to very natural peculiarities of the human brain. And the best way to avoid a conspiracy theory is not to try to think of why it's wrong in terms of facts, but to see how it relies on those mental problems we all have. I guess conspiracy theorists aren't really aware of those things.

Vague-rant
22-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Etymology is interesting, and we're still basically making it up as we go along, but however we got there, there are still standards.

One thing I don't understand is, if we're all making it up as we go along, how do you know when something new is acceptable or not? Do we just keep on arguing over it on the internet until one side gives up or one side is (re)educated?

thegooseking
22-08-2011, 07:51 PM
One thing I don't understand is, if we're all making it up as we go along, how do you know when something new is acceptable or not? Do we just keep on arguing over it on the internet until one side gives up or one side is (re)educated?

There are bodies of authority on the matter (such as the OED for spelling and what words mean and so on). The difference between English and, say, French, is that in English the language authorities are descriptive (they tell us how the language is spoken), while in French the language authorities are prescriptive (they tell us how the language ought to be spoken).

Nalano
22-08-2011, 07:56 PM

So intelligence really can't equal "a capacity to learn". Not out in the real world, as expressed in real people.

That's why most games have a separate Wisdom stat. It's fairly easy for high thinkers to be lead astray - remember, for every moment of scientific progress that we got right, there was one hell of a lotta stabbing in the dark.

There are bodies of authority on the matter (such as the OED for spelling and what words mean and so on). The difference between English and, say, French, is that in English the language authorities are descriptive (they tell us how the language is spoken), while in French the language authorities are prescriptive (they tell us how the language ought to be spoken).

France has a funny issue with language - they abhor loanwords, too. God knows what that'll mean for the longevity of the language.

Vague-rant
22-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Ah see, I recognise that the role of OED, but do you know what the grammatical equivalent is? Spelling seems a fairly black and white issue (if we disregard alternate spellings/regional variation), but grammar seems more... nuanced. And it'd probably also clear up the above debate.

Keep
22-08-2011, 10:53 PM
The human brain is very susceptible to confirmation bias, motivated reasoning and pareidolia. These things are also the cornerstones of most conspiracy theories.

That's a good angle. Intelligence != rational.

That's why most games have a separate Wisdom stat. It's fairly easy for high thinkers to be lead astray - remember, for every moment of scientific progress that we got right, there was one hell of a lotta stabbing in the dark.

I'm still not sure I'd go along with your take, but in the name of what you're saying, I'll keep my mind open to it in my day to day, see how I feel about it in a while.

Side note, do you think how Wisdom translates to games is done well? I don't think I've ever played a game where it really felt like "wisdom" was properly represented at all. (In fact, as far as combat goes, maybe the best way to do it is have a "I'm not getting involved" option once your character has enough points in it.)

Nalano
22-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Side note, do you think how Wisdom translates to games is done well? I don't think I've ever played a game where it really felt like "wisdom" was properly represented at all. (In fact, as far as combat goes, maybe the best way to do it is have a "I'm not getting involved" option once your character has enough points in it.)

There's a lot to be said for 'street smarts;' y'know, how not to get in trouble in day-to-day life. And we mostly get to that point not by being particularly intelligent, but by getting our knocks in - being 'socialized' - early. Intelligence is potential. Wisdom is actuality. A smart person is likely to become wise, but isn't necessarily already wise. After all, smart kids in the schoolyards tend to be the most outcast.

Let's say we buy a product at a bazaar. A person with high intelligence may be able to accurately judge how much something is worth - seeing that it's made from cheap materials, is using a knock-off tag, etc - but a person with high wisdom would know how to haggle with the vendor in a way as not to insult him.

Or, as you say, in combat. We're in a dive bar and there's a squabble likely to come to blows. A person with high intelligence may recognize that his potential assailant gets into a lot of fights, judging from the plethora of scars and his generally aggressive manner, while a person with high wisdom knows that the bar stool makes a great ersatz shield/club should things go awry (and, of course, not to be there in the first place).

Biggest issue's mostly that, in stats-driven games, we have only one designated talker in a group, so everything then gets coded (or designed) for a high int/cha character, because that's how most mages come. The high wis characters are also the most stuck-up and 'principled,' being clerics and monks, leaving good street-smarts situations hard to navigate. And, of course, in games that are light on the stats, "talking" is all one thing, and various flavors of personalities get flattened.

NecroKnight
29-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I dont understand people who experience something extremely embarrassing and go write about it on the internet.

Tikey
29-08-2011, 09:02 PM
It's the need for attention

Kelron
29-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Keeps me entertained.

Nalano
30-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Keeps me entertained.

10characters

Okami
30-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Chinese.
Or most languages for that matter.
But especially not chinese.

Kamikaze-X
31-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Commuters who just slowly dither on the way home.

I really cannot be home quick enough, why I would want to plod along, miss my train and inconvenience everyone else in doing so is beyond me.

Nalano
31-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Commuters who just slowly dither on the way home.

I really cannot be home quick enough, why I would want to plod along, miss my train and inconvenience everyone else in doing so is beyond me.

You rush to work. You rush at work. You finally have time to yourself... and you want to rush?

Kamikaze-X
01-09-2011, 07:21 AM
You rush to work. You rush at work. You finally have time to yourself... and you want to rush?
I dont rush to work. I take a nice, long relaxing train journey. on the way home, how is being stuck with a load of jnpleasant strangers 'time to yourself'? The quicker you get home, the quicker you get to see your loved ones, and the quicker you get to collapse onto your sofa. Why would you want to spend ang more time than you have to on public transport?!

NecroKnight
01-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Ah, todays modern hectic life, where you hardly have time for yourself. You just rush to work almost every day and end up tired late in your home.

Nalano
01-09-2011, 02:05 PM
I dont rush to work. I take a nice, long relaxing train journey. on the way home, how is being stuck with a load of jnpleasant strangers 'time to yourself'? The quicker you get home, the quicker you get to see your loved ones, and the quicker you get to collapse onto your sofa. Why would you want to spend ang more time than you have to on public transport?!

Because my time is my time, no matter where I spend it. The moment I leave my workplace, I'm free to dawdle for the first time that day.

Kody94
05-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Fads that are fed by pseudo-science. I'm sick of people condemning me for not driving a Prius because NASA claims the whales will implode if we so much as fart an ounce of methane into the atmosphere (exaggerating of course). Or that we need to nuke the moon so that it doesn't crash into Italy in 500 thousand years. I'm all for preserving earth (for example, the ocean), but I need to see real data before I change my lifestyle, not propaganda-padded hysteria-inducing "statistics".

NecroKnight
05-09-2011, 06:14 PM
I agree, it iritates me how people think they are better or saving the environment because they drive a hybrid. Cars with good diesel engines are as just ecological as these hybrid cars.

Nalano
05-09-2011, 06:17 PM
I agree, it iritates me how people think they are better or saving the environment because they drive a hybrid. Cars with good diesel engines are as just ecological as these hybrid cars.

Not driving a car is better than both, but at that point, America's screwed because we've essentially spent the last 60 years eliminating all alternatives.

but I need to see real data before I change my lifestyle, not propaganda-padded hysteria-inducing "statistics".

Well, if a worldwide consensus of 98% of all climate scientists won't convince you, the ballooning costs of gasoline might.

Kody94
05-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Well, if a worldwide consensus of 98% of all climate scientists won't convince you, the ballooning costs of gasoline might.

A worldwide consensus that ignores the fact that humans introduce about 5% of greenhouse gases to the environment. Let's see the government try to tax geological phenomena eh? I never disputed the fact that we do need to move away from oil-based fuel, but shoving hybrids and bicycles down our throats is not the answer.

golden_worm
05-09-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm sick of people condemning me for not driving a Prius.

Surely not driving a car is good for the environment, are you sure they are condemning you? Maybe it's those climate change deniers shouting "not a pariah" and you just misheard?

I'm all for preserving earth (for example, the bit I live on), but who is really responsible enough to take personal action to do something about it? I understand it is all supposed to add up to a societal change but I can't see it happening. The message to consume is far stronger than the message to recycle. Recycling isn't even that green as it takes a lot of energy. Reduction of use is far more efficient. Until those who create waste are obliged to dispose of it why should they bother to reduce it? Individuals should automatically recycle as part of the consumption process, arranged by the originator of the product, not at the behest of their government in a cheap political move to look green. This is an expensive option for companies (who would pass it on to their customers, no doubt), but if the ecological costs are not included in the sale price then we end up paying for the clean up after or lose part of the environment to needless landfill.

Sorry for the rant. I am not usually that bothered by green issues (as it's mostly politics), but it's shear small mindedness to ask everyone to "do their little bit" when the only significant changes can come from regulation of industry. I wish I didn't understand this :(

Kody94
05-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I agree that there are some issues with the environment worth addressing, for example the hydrosphere. But how many campaigns do you see to stop throwing trash into the ocean vs. campaigns to reduce your "carbon footprint"? And yes, it is the responsibility of companies to not dump waste into my drinking water. But do you know what I do to oppose irresponsible corporations? I don't purchase their products. I try to buy fair-trade products, organic food, etc. I do not ask Big Brother to force the mean old corporations to stop, and I don't have a fanatic devotion to "the green movement" (cough James Cameron cough).

I also resent the "climate change deniers" stereotype. I don't believe the planet is warming on a worldwide scale any more significantly than it has been in its thousands of years of temperature fluctuations, but I'm not a neanderthal who plugs his ears screaming "NANANNANANACAN'THEARYOU" either. I understand the data, I understand the risk, and I am sick of being ordered to conform to the green movement or else the world will spontaneously ignite and all the zebras will migrate to Alaska and drown because we're horrible people and the heartless politicians hate zebras.

SAVE THE ZEBRAS

Kamikaze-X
05-09-2011, 08:26 PM

The cost of gasoline is not linked to global emissions.

Nalano
05-09-2011, 09:37 PM
The cost of gasoline is not linked to global emissions.

What I was trying to say was that, if he wasn't going to listen to science, he'd do well to listen to practicality.

Kody94
05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
What I was trying to say was that, if he wasn't going to listen to science, he'd do well to listen to practicality.
Science indeed. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2011/07/27/new-nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-in-global-warming-alarmism/)

Nalano
06-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Science indeed. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2011/07/27/new-nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-in-global-warming-alarmism/)

So James Taylor of the Heartland Institute* writes an article on Forbes** questioning global warming, citing an article from Remote Sensing*** by Roy Spencer+ of the George C. Marshall Institute++.

*a libertarian think-tank whose largest backers are ExxonMobil and Philip Morris, and whose findings generally tend to be favorable to them

**an economics magazine with a conservative readership

***a scientific journal whose editor-in-chief just resigned over accusations that he allowed politically-adulterated articles get published, specifically the one Roy Spencer wrote

+whose paycheck currently comes from conservative think-tanks and writes articles defending intelligent design

++a politically conservative think-tank whose largest backers are other libertarian think-tanks and, until 2008, ExxonMobil

Google is your friend. "Science" indeed.

icupnimpn2
06-09-2011, 03:02 AM
[/SIZE]

Yes, indeed. There is certainly no bias in climate change research. (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/)

Nalano
06-09-2011, 03:11 AM
Yes, indeed. There is certainly no bias in climate change research. (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/)

What's more likely? That 2% of climate scientists around the world are speaking truth to a globe-spanning conspiracy that squelches all dissent with uncommon organization in service of a hardcore liberal agenda (because liberals are known for working in lock-step, amirite?), or that 98% of climate scientists are generally right, and have minor squabbles about minor issues - as with all science - and that the remaining 2% seem to be employed primarily by the political arms of industries who don't like being regulated?

I mean, that article read like a political hack piece - which is understandable, since it was written by a political hack - with parallels to holocaust denial: "Scientists disagree on a minor detail! Clearly the whole system is false!"

Kody94
06-09-2011, 04:18 AM
And yet these scientists will not produce the evidence that the supposed 2% of us crazy ol' right-wingers are asking for. Instead we get hypocrites like Al Gore and James Cameron condemning the human race while spewing greenhouse gases into the environment. All I ask is that I am shown legitimate data. The simple truth is that the data shows random fluctuations in the earth's temperature, and that almost all of the greenhouse gases are produced naturally.

NecroKnight
06-09-2011, 07:24 AM
It is naive to think that all this methane & CO2 that humanity (and cows) produce don't have the slightes effect on the climate. I don't believe that it's causing global warming, but I think it's disbalancing the climate, for example, making summers more hot & winters more cold and vice versa.

Donjo
06-09-2011, 01:03 PM
So James Taylor of the Heartland Institute* writes an article on Forbes** questioning global warming, citing an article from Remote Sensing*** by Roy Spencer+ of the George C. Marshall Institute++.

*a libertarian think-tank whose largest backers are ExxonMobil and Philip Morris, and whose findings generally tend to be favorable to them

**an economics magazine with a conservative readership

***a scientific journal whose editor-in-chief just resigned over accusations that he allowed politically-adulterated articles get published, specifically the one Roy Spencer wrote

+whose paycheck currently comes from conservative think-tanks and writes articles defending intelligent design

++a politically conservative think-tank whose largest backers are other libertarian think-tanks and, until 2008, ExxonMobil

I was going to say that it might be worthwhile checking out who the author is and who's holding his reigns but you've done a man's job, sir.

golden_worm
06-09-2011, 02:17 PM
All I ask is that I am shown legitimate data. The simple truth is that the data shows random fluctuations in the earth's temperature, and that almost all of the greenhouse gases are produced naturally.

The problem is that the climate is a chaotic system. You cannot produce definitive predictions, even though you can model the system well enough to foresee potential problems. All we can say for sure is if you drive a chaotic (but stable) system harder and harder you will eventually get completely unpredictable output. This is what emission reduction is trying to prevent.

There is also the small matter of diminishing easily available energy resources, which puts additional strain/risk into the large economies that demand more and more to maintain constant growth. The ecological arguments are a by-product of a panicking global elite who know they should be doing "something" but are too invested in the status quo to change it.

Kody94
06-09-2011, 03:09 PM
We don't know if we are pushing the climate to its limit, though. All we can observe is a system that has been, as you say, chaotic for years before we even started using modern industrial techniques and combustion engines weren't as prevalent. My original post stated that I'll never understand why people feel the need to tell me what I can and cannot do based on an ambiguous theory at best.

The diminishing energy resources are irrelevant, they're an entirely separate problem that has a legitimate scientific backing that is being remedied by wind, solar, geothermal, and nuclear power to name a few.

Xercies
06-09-2011, 03:21 PM
How do you figure out that carbon has been rising after temperture not before, when the temperture rises the carbon rises afterwards...about 700 years afterwards.

What I don't like is the stupid experimentsyou see on the TV trying to prove that climate change exists. Yes truly a bottle of water which you put carbon in is really a good example of the complexities of the earth's climate.

Ian
06-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Nonsense, Xercies. I left an ice cube on my worktop and it melted faster than I expected.

This is all the proof we need.

I'm going out destroying cars.

TillEulenspiegel
06-09-2011, 03:47 PM
1. Human activity produces many billions of tonnes of CO2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions) that would not otherwise be in the atmosphere.

2. Said CO2 does not magically disappear.

3. The effect of CO2 is well understood by anyone who has operated an IR spectrometer and analyzed the resulting output.

This isn't fucking complicated, peoples. If you don't understand this simple process, I weep for humanity.

Nalano
06-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I was going to say that it might be worthwhile checking out who the author is and who's holding his reigns but you've done a man's job, sir.

Thank you. But seriously, how is this bald propaganda allowed to, well, propagate? The article misrepresents the scientist as a NASA scientist when he's working for a think tank whose results are bought and paid for by the petrochemical industry. He's a shill, and it's not even hidden well.

golden_worm
06-09-2011, 04:15 PM
We don't know if we are pushing the climate to its limit, though. All we can observe is a system that has been, as you say, chaotic for years before we even started using modern industrial techniques and combustion engines weren't as prevalent. My original post stated that I'll never understand why people feel the need to tell me what I can and cannot do based on an ambiguous theory at best.

A chaotic system can be stable or unstable, what climate scientists are talking about is how far we would need to push for how long to get to an unstable situation. It not that we cant tell what's our fault or what's "natural", it doesn't matter. What does matter is if one of the chaotic inputs is moved out of the stable range we won't have any measures to correct it. Right now we do, the option to reduce carbon emissions.

The diminishing energy resources are irrelevant, they're an entirely separate problem that has a legitimate scientific backing that is being remedied by wind, solar, geothermal, and nuclear power to name a few.

The example you gave are all provide renewable cheap energy; expensive and complex to set up, and eventually provide cheap energy with a low scarcity, not conducive to profit making, or growing the economy short term.

Fossil fuels however are cheap to dig up, create plastics (products), fuels and low skilled jobs and is non renewable therefore increasingly scarce, therefore increasingly profitable. The connection to climate change is that the growing need for energy is related to the growth of economies and the growth of economies is dependant on extracting short term profits.

Kamikaze-X
06-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Did you guys not get the memo?

this global warming stuff is sooooooooo last year.

anyway.

Another thing I don't understand- the propensity of tech companies who make Android tablets to price themselves out of the market.

We want tablets at £250, not £500.

Whitmore
06-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I'll still be amused, although will understand why Retailers moan about digital sales, yet constantly cut away the PC games in store and treat their customers like dirt(See GAME.co.uk for example)

Also, I'll never understand the point of reality. It's too complex and odd.

NecroKnight
07-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Retail shops will die out, digital distribution will take the upper hand. Some retailers will maybe survive by specializing in selling deluxe/collectors editions.

Lambchops
07-09-2011, 11:19 PM
3. The effect of CO2 is well understood by anyone who has operated an IR spectrometer and analyzed the resulting output.

Why the blazes would I analyze the bakground scan?!

TillEulenspiegel
08-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Well, hopefully you're looking at something with C=O bonds. They all produce peaks in roughly the same range, right? It's been ages since I did chemistry...got a degree I'll almost certainly never use.

Oh well. In any case, it's all the same principle of IR radiation making bonds do wiggly things, rather than racing happily outwards into SPACE.

Lambchops
08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Correct and the position of the peak is affeted by the environment of the C=O bond. It's about the only bloody thing IR spectra are useful for (PS: This is not actually true unless you are a lazy organic chemist like me and don't really give a toss about IR because NMR is much more useful).

thegooseking
07-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Necrobump because this happened to me today.

I will never understand how it was possible that the microSD card (1.5cm * 1.1cm * 0.1cm) I bought online could have possibly been "too big for my letterbox" like this Royal Mail missed delivery ticket I have claims.

Well, I mean, I guess I will understand when I get it and see the excessive packaging, but you know. I'll never understand why.

Althea
07-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Necrobump because this happened to me today.

I will never understand how it was possible that the microSD card (1.5cm * 1.1cm * 0.1cm) I bought online could have possibly been "too big for my letterbox" like this Royal Mail missed delivery ticket I have claims.

Well, I mean, I guess I will understand when I get it and see the excessive packaging, but you know. I'll never understand why.
Royal Mail dicked me about today, too. Been waiting for two parcels (I assume, knowing Amazon they might have put them into the same one), and I guessed they were meant to arrive today. Postlady for us normally comes between 10:30 and 12:00, and almost never after that. It got to 12, and no signs, so I sighed and went back to doing nothing. About 1:15pm I notice a new postlady outside, going the wrong way and everything, and I wait to see if she delivers a parcel here. Nope. Went downstairs a minute later, and I'd been carded for 15 minutes earlier.

I'll never understand why only one of our postladies can use her brain and leave things in the outhouse right next to our flipping house.

acidtestportfolio
07-11-2011, 10:05 PM
why people complain that i type everything out in lowercase

i thought this was america

Keep
07-11-2011, 10:23 PM

Cos the same way caps makes you sound ANGRY, all lower case makes you sound jaded, disinterested, also maybe a li'l adolescent.

Nalano
07-11-2011, 10:52 PM

well, there are also canucks, brits and aussies about, so, y'know

thegooseking
07-11-2011, 11:18 PM
well, there are also canucks, brits and aussies about, so, y'know

And some weird hybrids!

Or is that just me?

Nalano
07-11-2011, 11:29 PM
And some weird hybrids!

Or is that just me?

and crazy scots (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ViolentGlaswegian) too

Grizzly
08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Simply can not understand this, looks like a bit of mob justice to me... (http://www.nrc.nl/inbeeld/2011/11/08/de-fans-van-de-king-of-pop-reageren-uitgelaten-op-het-vonnis/).

NecroKnight
08-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Simply can not understand this, looks like a bit of mob justice to me... (http://www.nrc.nl/inbeeld/2011/11/08/de-fans-van-de-king-of-pop-reageren-uitgelaten-op-het-vonnis/).

Nothing unusual, just a bunch of fanatic fans. Most celebrities got them. Altough Michael Jackson was the king of pop he was also a troubled man with many mental problems. I mean, look what he did to himself, he totally destroyed and mutilated himself. I'm amazed he didn't die earlier.

Nalano
08-11-2011, 06:51 PM

Nah. Any fool could see that it was criminal negligence at best. Tho MJ was crazy, and so are his fans.

measurements
10-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Grr. Can't understand why computer games insist on telling me that I'll lose progress in the game if I quit now when they took all of the control over saving the game away from me. Only one that's got it right so far is Borderlands: 'Are you sure you want to quit? All progress will be saved'. OH yeah, and all the games that allow me to save. Yes, bold italics.

It's like asking 'Would you like to be hit over the back of the head?' about thirty seconds after doing it. Grr. Rasm ffrasm.

thegooseking
10-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Not being able to save is bad, but not as bad as not being sure whether or not it has saved. I'm sure a game I played recently was very unclear about its autosave, though I can't remember which one.

Firkragg
10-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I will never understand the need for a game to ask me if I want to quit, when I have just pressed the quit game button.
Do you want to keep these graphical settings? Sure, can see the logic on that one. Are you sure you want to change your key settings? Fair enough, but when I hit "Exit Game" I expect to exit. Not to have to confirm this action.

I can see from a designers standpoint the reason for this, but surely the amount of people who accidently hit the exit button is very small, right?

Theblazeuk
10-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Some people don't understand south park quotes I think ;) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCKtfdVqK7c)

But I hate everything being typed in lowercase, uppercase or without any punctuation. Don't understand why people don't take full advantage of their keyboard with all 26 letters on individual keys and with most common punctuation easily available.

acidtestportfolio
10-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Cos the same way caps makes you sound ANGRY, all lower case makes you sound jaded, disinterested, also maybe a li'l adolescent.

well, yeah

but it's not like i give a shit about your interpretation of my stylistic choices.

seriously, reading the responses in this thread amount to:

"You sound like a cynical adolescent!"

or

"You have all of these keys on your keyboard! Use them all! Plastic is as good as gold!"

and to me it's justified criticism, yes, but i don't care. that is not how i roll.

Hanban
10-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Something I don't understand in general, is why Michael Jackson is so idolized still. Sure he made some neat hits, but he also might have diddled some kids. Thriller ain't that good anyways.

Kamikaze-X
10-11-2011, 08:09 PM
I concur. Even if there a a slight chance that anyone other than MJ had molested a child, they wouldn't retain the same sort of fanbase.

Kelron
10-11-2011, 08:46 PM
What I don't understand is why everyone is so willing to let the media tell them whether someone is guilty or innocent during or regardless of a trial. If you look at any news article on a high profile court case, you'll have tons of commentors arguing over the defendant's guilt or innocence, usually based on what they look like or some shred of information in the article.

I get that we can't always rely on the justice system to be impartial and uncorrupted, but what makes people who aren't party to the proceedings think they know any better?

Nalano
10-11-2011, 08:50 PM
but it's not like i give a shit about your interpretation of my stylistic choices.

More importantly, it reads like you don't give a shit about your own stylistic choices.

At that point, it's a question either of apathy or incompetence, but either way you don't sound like a very interesting fellow.

Keep
10-11-2011, 09:09 PM
well, yeah

seriously, reading the responses in this thread amount to:

"You sound like a cynical adolescent!"

or

"You have all of these keys on your keyboard! Use them all! Plastic is as good as gold!"

and to me it's justified criticism, yes, but i don't care. that is not how i roll.

Wouldn't want you to change. But you asked why people complain, so I explained. No need to bristle dude.

Things I won't ever understand: People who walk up to a locked gate and wait until they've come to a stop in front of it before trying to locate their keys/passcard/wotevs. See also: people queueing at a checkout who only start rooting for their moneyz once the cashier has announced the total. Jeez, efficiency! Mean nothing to ya?

Nalano
10-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Things I won't ever understand: People who walk up to a locked gate and wait until they've come to a stop in front of it before trying to locate their keys/passcard/wotevs. See also: people queueing at a checkout who only start rooting for their moneyz once the cashier has announced the total. Jeez, efficiency! Mean nothing to ya?

Well, to be fair, I try to minimize public exposure to the wad of money stuffed into my billfold. Counting it ahead of time seems counter-purpose to that.

Firkragg
10-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I'll never understand people who go into a convenience store while listening to music via their mp3/iphone X, even when they reach the counter. They are very hard to communicate with. Always thought the idea of closing yourself off so much from the public a bit bizarre.

The JG Man
10-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I'll never understand people who go into a convenience store while listening to music via their mp3/iphone X, even when they reach the counter. They are very hard to communicate with. Always thought the idea of closing yourself off so much from the public a bit bizarre.

Whenever I get to the counter, I make sure to remove ear-phones and, if the weather gods permit, sunglasses. I think it a rule of general politeness. If I'm in other shops with sales assistants roaming the floor, I'd hope they interpret this as "I know what I am doing so I do not require assistance", unless I of course come up to them. I think that is an acceptable request to make of the roaming staff.

Here's one; why the [expletives very removed] do academics find it necessary to write in the most boring, lazily constructed yet unnecessarily complicated phrasing known to man? I want to learn this stuff to either agree or disagree with you! Make it engaging. Having the same words shoved down my throat over a paragraph is not good communication. Argh.

Nalano
10-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Here's one; why the [expletives very removed] do academics find it necessary to write in the most boring, lazily constructed yet unnecessarily complicated phrasing known to man? I want to learn this stuff to either agree or disagree with you! Make it engaging. Having the same words shoved down my throat over a paragraph is not good communication. Argh.

Mainly because a lot of them write not because they're interested or interesting, but because they must Publish or Perish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publish_or_perish).

Tams80
11-11-2011, 01:35 AM
I can't understand academic language either. That is not to say I do not comprehend what the said academic is trying to communicate; rather I do not understand the why such language is used. Such language causes misunderstanding and misdirection of the mind.

Or, in other words: why can't they just write in plain English and only use specific language/words when the discipline requires e.g. scientific words. The worst are those who speak in the same way.