PDA

View Full Version : Desura (also a linux gaming thread)

elephant god
24-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Today I decided to go exploring on Desura, after i first read of it in conjunction with the Humble Indie Bundles. The fact that it's another DD client amongst my installations of GMG's Capsule, Impulse (yuck) and Steam i wasn't especially encouraged, but I noticed that it has a linux client and given that i from time to time like to dabble in linuxes, i gave it a go on my ubuntu installation.

firstly: I've never had such a comfortable experience when gaming on linux. it seriously has a very positive steam vibe going on, making everything from its own installation and the overall handling of games. installing and running games on linux, even ones in their linux versions like the HIBs, is never the same and never as easy. a client like steam/desura seems to solve this problem very elegantly.

Also, the games that are on there look utterly wonderful, and I'm surprised that I've heard of so few of them in RPS' indie lagoon. also cheap, even for indie games.

a word on linux in general: I know it is not for everyone. I have myself been repelled by the simplest issues numerous times. But i love the linux mindset, and find myself trying to return to it from time to time. It's the games that draw me back to windows. Desura seems to jump into the new school corner, next to ubuntu, with a definite orientation towards new users. If you give it a try, you might like linux, and/or desura. But there's definitely trying involved.

acidtestportfolio
24-10-2011, 03:30 PM
let me know when a cron job drops a level 15 bloatee

i'll trade it for the 1500 empty mars bars wrappers on my desk

Kaira-
24-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Wait wait, is Desura Linux now open for everyone? Hot damn.

Also, Desura is very lovely. Makes modding games oh-so-easy.

Anthile
24-10-2011, 03:48 PM
let me know when a cron job drops a level 15 bloatee

i'll trade it for the 1500 empty mars bars wrappers on my desk

Do you have ever anything constructive to say?

elephant god
24-10-2011, 04:43 PM
yeah, I'v not yet even gotten into the modding part. how does it work? do you direct desura towards your installations of the moddable games? how is it more convenient?

Kaira-
24-10-2011, 04:50 PM
yeah, I'v not yet even gotten into the modding part. how does it work? do you direct desura towards your installations of the moddable games? how is it more convenient?

Desura attempts to find your installed games (if it doesn't, you can manually point them), and then just search for mods, install this mod and pronto, done.

acidtestportfolio
24-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Do you have ever anything constructive to say?

i do, maybe you just haven't looked hard enough