PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Sticks

Smashbox
24-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Did anyone try a gamepad for flight controls in the BF3 beta? I just. can't. control flying vehicles with the M&KB in Battlefield games, for some reason. Can I use my 360 pad to fly?

metalangel
24-10-2011, 05:34 PM
360 pad is the best helo controller I've used that isn't a stick/throttle/pedal combo costing several times more. ArmA's notorious helos become a dream with one.

sabrage
24-10-2011, 07:22 PM
My flying prowess in BC2 was so bad that my team thought I was intentionally crashing my helicopter into the ground within seconds of takeoff. I was actually considering buying a flight stick for BF3...

Smashbox
24-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I could fly the chopper in the console version, but on the PC I just drift out of the eponymous battlefield.

metalangel
24-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Best way I've found to configure a twin-stick pad is for cyclic on the left and collective/tail rotor on the right. That leaves all the triggers and face buttons free for targeting, weapons, etc. I set it so pushing forward on the cyclic is nose down, and pulling back on the collective is increase throttle.

It is possible to put either the collective or tail rotor on the triggers but I find you're losing out on some useful buttons AND you're also then worrying about making three inputs at once as opposed to two if you control everything with the two sticks.

EDIT: It has occured to me that the best m&kb helicopter physics I've seen were those in Desert Combat. So elegant... hold a button to apply collective, release and you have none. Yes, you had to tap sometimes, but the things were agile enough that it didn't matter. I used to spend hours practicing flying in botmatches in the Apache, soaring over the desert and rocketing the AI.

Heliocentric
24-10-2011, 08:37 PM
After flying the attack helicopter about GTA 4 I'm eager to try that configuration elsewhere because I was trying to use the 2 sticks to control the 4 axis of movement rather than the rudder being digital and the thrust being the triggers.

Wild Marker
25-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I tried the 360 pad on the BF3 beta, but found the controls for the jet really weird. I mean, Right Stick to roll/pitch? I'm assuming this was a beta thing, since it was basically interchanging mouse for right stick.

Never used pad for the chopper on bc2 though, I learned to control it with m&kb and managed to become a pretty decent pilot. Also choppers are something that you have to be able to get in and out quick, since they're flying lower than jets and if you have to bail out you're smack dab in the middle of enemy fire, so changing controlls in the thick of it is not something you have the seconds for. (and the getting "in" part, is for those time when someone bails and the chopper lands safely, therefore being up for grabs if you move quick, it happens!)

Anyway, jets aren't very precise on m&kb, so going for gPad might be a good idea.