PDA

View Full Version : Will Arkham City PC Version Have Catwoman Online Pass Scheme?

Drinking with Skeletons
24-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Anyone know the answer to this? On the one hand, it's clearly an anti-used game market scheme, and there isn't really a used market for PC titles (at least not in the US). Rocksteady also proved themselves to have clever tricks up their sleeves for anti-piracy measures that didn't require byzantine mechanisms.

On the other hand, any excuse to sell DLC, right? Bioware did it with Shale, Deus Ex did it with Tong, and there are probably a half-dozen other examples that will be named within the next four posts.

DISCUSS!

Icarus
24-10-2011, 06:46 PM
I've asked around in a couple of other threads and I don't think it got a response- What actually is this Catwoman pass? Do you need the code to play her at all, or does it unlock Catwoman-specific challenge rooms, or what?

Jerusahat
24-10-2011, 06:51 PM
You need the pass to play her at all.

Given that the mechanics for locking the content away are already there, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the PC version the same. It'd probably take more work to remove it.

Smashbox
24-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Which means you can't play all the 'story missions' without the pass, right? Keeping in mind that the original impetus for the Online Pass™ system was to combat used console game sales by diminishing their value in customers' eyes, this is a fairly shocking turn of events: http://kotaku.com/5849828/dont-fret-used-gamers-gamestop-has-catwoman-codes-for-preowned-arkham-city-purchasers. Anti customer hoop-jumpery. Foisting illogical 'unlock' systems on regular paying folks.

I know it's a common refrain, but it's true: Pirates don't have to deal with this shit.

How long until console games are sold with CD keys just as PC games are?

icupnimpn2
24-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Yo, I heard you don't need no pass to play that b**** Catwoman. Dang, why she such a b****?! She's all played out. B****.

Dave L.
25-10-2011, 05:08 AM
It uses Steamworks AND GfWL. There won't be any sort of online pass shenanigans. The premium DLC stuff will be Robin and the retailer exclusive Batman skins.

Icarus
25-10-2011, 07:11 AM
It uses Steamworks AND GfWL. There won't be any sort of online pass shenanigans. The premium DLC stuff will be Robin and the retailer exclusive Batman skins.

Is the retail box release confirmed for using Steamworks as well?

cwoac
25-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Is the retail box release confirmed for using Steamworks as well?

Given that would require them to have written the steamworks sections of the code (achievements?) twice (once to use steamworks and once to use ?gfwl?) for those bits, I doubt it. More knowledgeable people may correct me, but I'm unaware of any steamworks game thats had a steamworks-less retail release.

Also, I'm pretty sure the retail preorder had something about requiring steam.

Althea
25-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Given that would require them to have written the steamworks sections of the code (achievements?) twice (once to use steamworks and once to use ?gfwl?) for those bits, I doubt it. More knowledgeable people may correct me, but I'm unaware of any steamworks game thats had a steamworks-less retail release.

Also, I'm pretty sure the retail preorder had something about requiring steam.
There's a number of games like that. Kalypso's recent catalogue is Steamworks-less for its releases except for Steam, so you've got games like Patrician IV, Disciples 3, Tropico 3 - Or at least they have aspects of Steamworks. There's also Unreal Tournament 3 and a couple of others I can't think of right now.