PDA

View Full Version : Stronghold 3

Malawi Frontier Guard
25-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I know this was released today, don't lie to me. You always lie to me.

You need to tell me, right now, if this is any good. It's probably just another disappointment, another broken promise like all the other promises you have broken. Legends, Crusader Extreme, Kingdoms. Again and again I thought we could be happy again, like when we first met.

Those were good times. The fun we had building our castles and optimizing our defenses. When we finally managed to beat the campaign of Crusader... No, stop. Maybe we can work something out. Please.

Does anyone have it yet? I'm a bit wary of anything Firefly produces nowadays, so I want an honest opinion. Especially if you're a veteran of the series.

c-Row
25-10-2011, 12:55 PM
One thing I read on the German forum was that SH3 apparently doesn't feature a sandbox/AI skirmish mode, which would be quite a dealbreaker for me.

vinraith
25-10-2011, 01:21 PM
One thing I read on the German forum was that SH3 apparently doesn't feature a sandbox/AI skirmish mode, which would be quite a dealbreaker for me.

If true that is, indeed, a deal breaker and an enormous disappointment.

c-Row
25-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Sorry, sandbox seems to be included, but without AI opponents.

http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=271&func=view&id=13659&catid=45

vinraith
25-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Sorry, sandbox seems to be included, but without AI opponents.

http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=271&func=view&id=13659&catid=45

Same difference, really. That's just a damned shame.

TillEulenspiegel
25-10-2011, 01:53 PM
That's a rather unusual form of germanified English - my favorite was "brightnes" for, of course, width. Understandable enough, though, to be pretty disappointing.

c-Row
25-10-2011, 02:31 PM
That's a rather unusual form of germanified English - my favorite was "brightnes" for, of course, width. Understandable enough, though, to be pretty disappointing.

That whole thread is full of Denglisch. :D Took me a few seconds every now and then.

PeteC
25-10-2011, 03:09 PM
The game seems to be a huge disappointment. A real pity as I was keeping an eye on this.

Not being able to summon an enemy force in freebuild mode is a huge omission and a deal breaker for me.

Althea
25-10-2011, 03:09 PM
That whole thread is full of Denglisch. :D Took me a few seconds every now and then.
What makes it more bizarre is the devs are English, I believe. You should try the Anno boards if you want some fun, they're actually in German, even the English bit, so you have to guess at what you're clicking.

Arnisarus
25-10-2011, 07:44 PM
So far, i've found the game to be bearable. but not really enjoyable, overall i was feeling like its a waste of money... then the game crashed and i found that theres no auto saving ... or at least there isnt when it crashes!

Smashbox
25-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Cover quote:

"Bearable!"

Arnisarus
25-10-2011, 08:00 PM
although saying that i just tried to replay the 3 missions i got through before crashing ... and well i just cant do it, the slow movement is just awful. so i played a free build mode... and that was just a bit meh ...

Possibly Bearable!

Bilbo1981
25-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Another fairly classic PC game with little or no coverage, whats going on RPS? I was fairly shocked at the lack of attention Heroes of Might and Magic got and now this, does RPS needs more writers?

imirk
25-10-2011, 08:59 PM

I like this one, not really Denglisch but still funny:

the amount of apple farms you need to feed just 24 peasants seems like a lot.

Also: God Dammit now I want to go dig out my Legos and make a kick-ass Castle.

Stormbane
26-10-2011, 12:06 AM
This is really disappointing, I was really looking forward to Stronghold 3. I'm going to have to reinstall and play Stronghold 1 while I wait for Skyrim now :(

field_studies
26-10-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm a huge fan of the series, and was greatly looking forward to Stronghold 3, but every preview trailer and RPS article over the past few months has made me wary. Most of the touted features were just carry-overs from Stronghold 2... in fact, Stronghold 3 was appearing to be an improved but fairly faithful iteration of Stronghold 2. I actually liked that latter game more than most, so this wouldn't have been a huge dissapointment, but more than enough to put me off pre-ordering.

Anyhow, it's maybe early to tell, but the first returns on Metacritic are damning. I'm looking forward to some RPS coverage, but at this point it looks like S3 might be a big disappointment.

redspielened
26-10-2011, 12:52 AM
This is the only game I pre-ordered, since I was such a fan of their Crusaders title since I was small, but you should probably wait till a few patches come out as the game needs polishing.

Alez
26-10-2011, 06:45 AM
I'm disappoint.

I could talk about the changes in gameplay and other things that i didn't like but...to me the real killer is that it has no charm. They removed all the building movies. You know, when clicking on a dairy farm for example, you saw a little movie in the corner with it.

The campaign movie feels like it's a raw sketch for an actual movie but they ran outta time so just put them in.

Then again i only played one economic campaign mission which i didn't even finish so maybe it gets better.

corbain
26-10-2011, 09:00 AM
One of the hivemind just tweeted that there should be a WIT coming up for this

Bilbo1981
26-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Check out this link, sounds like one to avoid. Glad I didn't jump in and buy this one!

http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=271&func=view&id=14023&catid=46

Althea
27-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Firefly have come out with this statement (http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=485&Itemid=1), hot off the heels of The Wolf on Twitter (@AskTheWolf) announcing that patches are in development.

Kudos to Firefly for being open about it.

Althea
03-11-2011, 11:35 AM
According to their blog/Twitter, a patch goes live tomorrow (http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=486&Itemid=346).

Just thought some would like to know.

hariseldon
03-11-2011, 01:06 PM
According to their blog/Twitter, a patch goes live tomorrow (http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=486&Itemid=346).

Just thought some would like to know.

Excellent, looks like that's the worst bugs largely covered. I've actually not hated the game as much as some. The charm of the original is there and I see the potential for it to be awesome once fixed. Also not that bothered by the movies which I tend to skip anyway.

field_studies
03-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Excellent, looks like that's the worst bugs largely covered. I've actually not hated the game as much as some. The charm of the original is there and I see the potential for it to be awesome once fixed.

Knowing that many thought Stronghold 2 was a weak sequel (though I actually really enjoyed it), are there major (or I guess minor) ways that 3 actually improves things?

hariseldon
03-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Knowing that many thought Stronghold 2 was a weak sequel (though I actually really enjoyed it), are there major (or I guess minor) ways that 3 actually improves things?

The main thing is a return to the style and charm of Stronghold 1 (Stronghold 2 really lacked charm, with terrible voice acting in particular really spoiling it). My opinion is that once the patches are good it'll be Stronghold 1 with better graphics, which is fine for me.

field_studies
03-11-2011, 08:42 PM
The main thing is a return to the style and charm of Stronghold 1 (Stronghold 2 really lacked charm, with terrible voice acting in particular really spoiling it). My opinion is that once the patches are good it'll be Stronghold 1 with better graphics, which is fine for me.

...and, it appears, a lot more non-stronghold1-grid-constrained building flexibility it appears?

Danny252
03-11-2011, 08:47 PM
...and, it appears, a lot more non-stronghold1-grid-constrained building flexibility it appears?

It appears that yes, you are right to believe that it appears to be so.

field_studies
03-11-2011, 09:23 PM
It appears that yes, you are right to believe that it appears to be so.

Well, you know, with this game particularly, it appears appearances can be deceiving is all.

hariseldon
04-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Patch seems to be out, judging by steam download, early impressions are that the game is much much better balanced, in terms of food and military strength, the game speed adjustment is very welcome, and the selection of military units is fixed. Looks like units now run when commanded to do so, and the game feels much more complete, much more like Stronghold 1. Basically they released it a bit too early, but I'm actually enjoying the game now. Go forth and enjoy!

Hensler
09-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Steam just downloaded another patch, not seeing a changelog yet, though.

Althea
19-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Just seen this update (http://store.steampowered.com/news/6818/) on Steam, which seems like it might be good. Difficulty levels!

It also said this, which caused me to blink and then laugh: "Please be aware save games made before patch1.3.24532 that contain fire will crash when loaded."