PDA

View Full Version : Gta v(?)

Althea
25-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Squeeeeeeeee!

Official Teaser (http://www.rockstargames.com/).

Maybe we'll get a decent PC port? Maybe?! :D

Jockie
25-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Not optimistic about getting a decent port of a PC game from Rockstar (or it even being released in the same year). Hope they prove me wrong, but there's little to suggest they've had a sudden change of heart regarding the PC as a platform, belated announcement of an La Noire port aside.

squirrel
25-10-2011, 12:18 PM
The coolest thing of the GTA series is not the action gameplay, but for the part where you can bribe your way out after committing a felon.

Video game is all about satisfaction from doing something you cannot achieve in real life, isn't it?

...... No wait, why I see that there are some people doing this in real life......

archonsod
25-10-2011, 12:38 PM
The GTA series really should have simply stopped at Vice City. It could have been remembered as a classic then, rather than a ruined, middle aged, senile old relative who's mainly tolerated due to the fond memories of them in their prime.

Joseph
25-10-2011, 12:40 PM
The GTA series really should have simply stopped at Vice City. It could have been remembered as a classic then, rather than a ruined, middle aged, senile old relative who's mainly tolerated due to the fond memories of them in their prime.

I can't agree with you on this after the amount of fun I've had pissing around on GTA4.

Really, what I want from GTA5 is just... more GTA. Oh yeah, and ridiculous cheat codes like Everyone hates you and Zombie pedestrians.

soldant
25-10-2011, 12:50 PM
I liked parts of GTAIV but I can't see why people consider it to be a fantastic piece of writing. It's definitely a lot more mature than the other GTA games but that's not saying much. It had way too many "BIG AMERICAN TEETEES" lines which were like a big slap in the face while you were following an otherwise competent storyline with a decent main character. That said it wasn't exactly fantastic in the writing department. Still a good game though.

All I really want from GTAV is a PC release which doesn't suck. That's it.

Icarus
25-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I gotta disagree with the 'should have stopped at Vice City' bit, I had a lot of fun with San Andreas back on the big black XBox.

Taidan
25-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I always loved the idea of the GTA series, but after the first instalment I always found them to be a triumph of world-building and feature-creep over core gameplay.

If they went back to basics and made a driving game that was as fun as [Driving Game "X"], and combat that was on par with [Shooting Game "Y"], then built a world on that, I'd quite particular to a GTA V.

If it turns out to be a GTA-IV+ type affair though, I'll probably grab it cheap after a few months and enjoy the toy-box it provides for a few hours, but be generally otherwise unimpressed with it's myriad content-generous offerings.

archonsod
25-10-2011, 01:03 PM
I can't agree with you on this after the amount of fun I've had pissing around on GTA4.

Really, what I want from GTA5 is just... more GTA. Oh yeah, and ridiculous cheat codes like Everyone hates you and Zombie pedestrians.

It's called Saints Row I believe.

Kadayi
25-10-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't feel they need to radically build much on their RAGE engine technology, as I thought GTA IV looked pretty good, and the Max Payne 3 footage (subject matter aside) seems to be building upon that, however what I would like to see is some consistency of storyline. Nikko's redemptive dialogue sat at odds with his more questionable actions, and for a large part their was never any really motivation/justification to a lot of what he was doing. The unquestioning allegiance to recently introduced NPC No 4s homicidal demands was risible in San Andreas and doubly so in GTA IV. The other thing I'd also like to see more nuanced parody (if they feel they need to go down that route still, though tbh I thought GTA IV ran the well dry). Talking of nuance, maybe have plot twists that actually surprise you, rather than signpost them from miles away (my girlfriends a Fed? no shit Sherlock?).

Heliocentric
25-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Just finished gta4 looking forward to playing episodes. By the time GTA 5 is a few pounds I will likely have a PC that can run it well.

Smashbox
25-10-2011, 02:44 PM
I agree with those of you citing the narrative problems in providing a sandbox world and jamming a completely rigid series of quests (that's what she said) into it. Avoiding narrative dissonance in GTA4 requires the player adjust his play to match things he heard Niko say in a cutscene. He doesn't want to kill people, he wants to stay under the radar. That means, don't drive your blood-soaked garbage truck through the pedestrian mall while shooting out of the windows. Ideally, the game would take on the responsibility of avoiding narrative dissonance rather than the player. It's next to impossible in such a rigidly structured game (without recording tons and tons of alternate dialog/writing convincing excuses).

Spakkenkhrist
25-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Just finished gta4 looking forward to playing episodes. By the time GTA 5 is a few pounds I will likely have a PC that can run it well.

Id be surprised if they're planning on using a new engine, especially given the consoles haven't moved on since IV, with any luck they'll have optimised the old one.

Flint
25-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Hopefully this time they'll actually fill the city with something. I enjoyed GTA4's plot but outside that it was a sandbox game with a huuuuuuuuuuumongous city to explore and muck about it but with absolutely nothing to actually explore for or spend time with (unless you really enjoyed bowling or shooting pigeons for no reason). Compared to eg GTA3 where you could spend ages exploring places or doing sidequests and get rewarded for it, in forms of hidden packages and the upgrades and permanent powerups they, and the optional sidequests, would unlock.

Basically, kinda hoping we'll get some gamey-game bits to GTA again. That said, looks like Saints Row might be taking care of that and each GTA has placed the plot in a more central role than the one before, so we'll probably get a more refined GTA4.

TheRed
25-10-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure why GTAIV gets quite a lot of hate. In my opinion it was an excellently realised game. It refined a highly succesful formula into a modern day masterpiece, with great technological prowess underpinned by really solid mechanics, for the most part, and a perfectly good story. It wasn't faultless, but no games are, particularly when scrutinised some time later and under the multi-hued spotlights of subjectivity. I honestly felt the more mature content (even with the teeties, which I took to be simply another comedic, and not particularly offensive, stereotype) did it no harm at all, particlarly given the DLC packs it spawned. Those that do simply have a different opinion, but it can't be judged too harshly for not floating everyone's boat. We can think of many ways to improve it now, of course - what a city it would be if they could advance things to make all the buildings enterable etc, but what a task. The same applies to multiple endings and real consequence, but again, what a task. In my view, the biggest improvements that could be made to it would require the largest undertaking in games design ever, and require it to be an amalgam of all the best games ever made so far, across genres. This isn't a realistic aim. Heavy Rain in a setting that size? Everything enterable and all characters fleshed out? These sort of ideas are lovely but silly.

The only issue I have with it, frankly, is stupid GFWL and the port which, while fine for me mostly, was apparently a shoddy experience for some. I happen to think Rockstar's take on the PC as a platform is out of order, given that there is still a large fanbase, and it owes it's past to the PC - but hey. I hardly blame them. Just profiteering over-capitalist business models.

Smashbox
25-10-2011, 05:30 PM
...absolutely nothing to actually explore for or spend time with (unless you really enjoyed bowling or shooting pigeons for no reason)...

To be fair, the game does funnel you toward wanton destruction and terrorism-scale attacks on the innocent.

EDIT: I'm realizing I sound negative. I'm nitpicking because I love these games and I've spent so many hours in their worlds.

Taidan
25-10-2011, 05:57 PM
This gave me a giggle:

http://gamepolitics.com/2011/10/25/gta-v-announcement-timed-thompson%E2%80%99s-three-year-disbarment-anniversary

archonsod
25-10-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure why GTAIV gets quite a lot of hate.

Beyond it being a shoddy port it's completely bereft of the humour and craziness which made GTA worth playing in the first place. Which just leaves you with a rather dull story populated by thin stereotypes, told via a never ending string of cutscenes between bland, repetitive missions. San Andreas felt like Rockstar were trying to move the franchise on, IV felt more like they'd ran out of ideas.

Flint
25-10-2011, 06:00 PM
To be fair, the game does funnel you toward wanton destruction and terrorism-scale attacks on the innocent.

EDIT: I'm realizing I sound negative. I'm nitpicking because I love these games and I've spent so many hours in their worlds.
Oh, aye, I suppose. I've always found all that random carnage rather dull after a while, so my tastes probably just fought against what the devs intended people to spend their time with in the game.

Mistabashi
25-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Somewhere between Vice City and San Andreas is the perfect GTA game in my opinion. It seems doubtful that the next one will fill that spot though. Has anyone offered some solid speculation about the setting of this new one? The 'V' logo is obviously imitating the printing on a dollar bill, though that doesn't really say much. I feel one of the most boring aspects of GTA IV is the somewhat dull present-day New York setting, it would be nice to see something a bit less bland this time around.

TheRed
25-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Archonsod, just because it doesn't appeal to your own tastes is not a reason for it getting hate. There was plenty of humour within it, excellently done in places. Maybe you just do broad strokes and nothing else, eh? Moving towards a more serious style can't be seen as a general fault. If anything, while I enjoyed San Andreas, I tire of the 'gang banger' stuff quite a bit, and don't want to play as one. There's so much of that in popular culture already. Having a former Eastern Bloc soldier with a harrowing past to explain his apparent disregard for others is a much more interesting thing.

Smashbox
25-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Archonsod, just because it doesn't appeal to your own tastes is not a reason for it getting hate.

I agree, but technical issues are fully deserving of hate in any game. Personally though, I had no technical issues with the PC versions of IV, having played it this spring.

TheRed
25-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Me neither, really, on a 8800GT. Certainly wasn't maxed out but pretty 'nuff. I don't like the treatment of the PC platform by many, as I've said, but if you've got a problem, it's with the way the world works, not the game.

DigitalSignalX
25-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Rumor is that GTA5 is back in Los Angeles, Hollywood specifically.

Smashbox
25-10-2011, 07:41 PM
It's definitely tough to read anything into that - and this is generous - 'teaser.'

Dollar-bill-esque V/5. I'll say ... Vegas. Or D.C.

Also, I'd say it probably means 'not the UK.'

Come onnnnnnnn.... GTA Boston.

TheRed
25-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Though I understand why. I get a bit bored of A) America generally - it would be great to try something totally different like Paris, Berlin etc and B) The obsession with LA and New York exclusively. I'd find it much more interesting if it was somewhere I was less aware-of-by-osmosis, like Portland, or Rhode Island, or Washington. Again, though, I'm probably in a minority of the spending public.

TheRed
25-10-2011, 07:45 PM
I hope Washington, I really do. Of the 'biggies' it's one of the ones I personally know the least of.

Nalano
25-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Beyond it being a shoddy port it's completely bereft of the humour and craziness which made GTA worth playing in the first place. Which just leaves you with a rather dull story populated by thin stereotypes, told via a never ending string of cutscenes between bland, repetitive missions. San Andreas felt like Rockstar were trying to move the franchise on, IV felt more like they'd ran out of ideas.

You forgot "HEY NICO, WANNA HANG OUT!?"

But otherwise, spot on.

Smashbox
25-10-2011, 08:23 PM
You forgot "HEY NICO, WANNA HANG OUT!?"

Oh yeah. And that. Who thought that would be fun!?

Nalano
25-10-2011, 08:28 PM
There's also "You didn't log on to GfWL, so you can't put your saves in the Cloud! Oh noes! And are you sure you don't want to log onto Rockstar Social Club? There's so much bad machinima to parse through! Oh, fine, fine, play your game if you want to, but I won't let you use high rez textures! Even if you mod the config files! So THERE!"

TheRed
25-10-2011, 08:29 PM
The friends thing isn't a terrible idea, it just wasn't done that well. But again, it was something that hadn't been done like that before. Overall the mobile phone thing was a great idea, particlarly the upgradability of it, the texts and so on. The whole friends thing could be done so it wasn't ringing about bowling when mid-mission, and the friendship activities were genuinely fun or beneficial more quickly. The first time you drunk-drove was funny, admit it. The first time you played pool or went bowling wasn't so bad either. It was the repetition. It was dragging you through something that became arbitrary and dull for no real gain. I liked the dialogue that went with them, to be honest. It was a nice exposition technique, same with some of the girlfriend stuff - but I do agree that it needs improving next time round. Just because it's not perfect first time round, doesn't mean it's terrible.

TheRed
25-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Nalano, that's not the game, as such. But I agree it was needless and damaging to the experience.

Nalano
25-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Nalano, that's not the game, as such. But I agree it was needless and damaging to the experience.

I know, I know. It's the whole package. But the game was just not as colorful and fun as its previous iterations. I kinda felt that it took itself too seriously, considering GTASA had you strapping a guy to the hood of your car and playing chicken on the Vegas strip and GTAVC had you hijacking a tank during a parade and going hog wild and GTA2 had you dropping off a city bus full of unsuspecting commuters to the intake of a hot dog factory before murdering a shit-ton of hare krishnas, and GTA just gave you a flamethrower and told you to have fun.

Smashbox
25-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Wasn't it just lovely the way your cellphone would create interference with your car speakers just prior to ringing?

Nalano
25-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Wasn't it just lovely the way your cellphone would create interference with your car speakers just prior to ringing?

I learned to hate that interference. It's like the game was actively conspiring to stop me from having fun.

TheRed
25-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I guess so. It's all subjective. I felt the whole package, while more brooding and mature, and less anarchic on th surface, still had potential for lots of fun, and the humour resplendent throughout the series was there, just in a more subtle way. It still made some pretty good funny but valid comments on a wide variety of issues without always ramming them down your throat. I guess there's no harm in making it 'fun fun fun' either, but I don't think the treatment of GTAIV was bad, just different. The expansions, or atleast the one with the crazy Arab, went some way to redressing that. Maybe it's a good sign that Rockstar intend to please both parties next time, as they clearly recognised a significant fanbase proportion wanted more outrageous larks. But something tells me chaining people to cars for a laugh wouldn't be Nico, and that sort of continuity is important to me personally. I like a story, and it's hard to justify running over Hare Krishnas in a narrative setting. There's definitely room for all that, I enjoy it - I enjoyed all the crazy jumps in GTAIII etc and all the rest. Yet I do see GTAIV as a progression overall. I suppose there must be ways to accomodate both a relatvely gritty story (I just don't always want larger-than-life cliche stereotypes) and craziness - two characters, two stories, maybe? I'm sure that's possible, seeing as the setting is always the star. Or other ways?

Nalano
25-10-2011, 08:57 PM
I guess so. It's all subjective. I felt the whole package, while more brooding and mature

Brooding, yes. Mature?

That word's been abused so much it's currently under protection by the FBI from bastards like you.

TheRed
25-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Let me go with 'relatively', then. I mean the way the content matter is handled. Some of it was clearly not mature, but I mean.. less cartoon colours, more about impoverished existence than stealing clown vans. They called drugs by their real names, for example. Nico didn't relish his killing. That sort of thing. But yes, I'm not really talking American History X, but you know full well what I mean. Oh, and fuck the FBI. Grrr. etc.

Nalano
25-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Let me go with 'relatively', then. I mean the way the content matter is handled. Some of it was clearly not mature, but I mean.. less cartoon colours, more about impoverished existence than stealing clown vans. They called drugs by their real names, for example. Nico didn't relish his killing. That sort of thing. But yes, I'm not really talking American History X, but you know full well what I mean. Oh, and fuck the FBI. Grrr. etc.

Seriously. Keep this up and you'll be receiving a knock on your door by armed officials.

Nico didn't relish his killing?

He kills more New Yorkers than the 19 hijackers.

archonsod
25-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Archonsod, just because it doesn't appeal to your own tastes is not a reason for it getting hate. There was plenty of humour within it, excellently done in places.

I failed to find any humour in it. Even the talk radio station was about as amusing as the average punch & judy show. Also, I can't think of a better reason for hating something than it not appealing to me. I mean hating stuff that did appeal to me would just be silly.

Moving towards a more serious style can't be seen as a general fault.

Yes it can, particularly in a series where the humour was a central part of the appeal.

Brooding, yes. Mature?

Depends where you put Alf Garnett on that scale I suppose ...

Nalano
25-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Depends where you put Alf Garnett on that scale I suppose ...

I had to look him up. Sounds like a British Archie Bunker (or, more accurately, Archie Bunker is an American Alf Garnett).

I don't think GTA is up to that level of satire. Or, if it is, it's a few decades too late.

soldant
26-10-2011, 07:29 AM
I don't think GTA is up to that level of satire. Or, if it is, it's a few decades too late.
GTA satire is akin to a hammer to the face.

Spider Jerusalem
26-10-2011, 11:10 AM
gta peaked at the whole top-down 2d sprites stage.

or perhaps i'm no longer 10 years old.

:(

Smashbox
26-10-2011, 06:54 PM
GTA satire is akin to a hammer to the face.

That simile is a bit like a hammer to the face.

TailSwallower
27-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Though I understand why. I get a bit bored of A) America generally - it would be great to try something totally different like Paris, Berlin etc and B) The obsession with LA and New York exclusively. I'd find it much more interesting if it was somewhere I was less aware-of-by-osmosis, like Portland, or Rhode Island, or Washington. Again, though, I'm probably in a minority of the spending public.

If they want to do gritty storytelling they should team up with the guys who did The Wire and do GTA: Baltmore, or alternately GTA: Bodymore, Murderland. You could be a good cop, a crooked cop, or just a plain old drunk cop, or you could be any flavour of gangster. Fuck yes.

If they actually wanted to go international (International gamers [not to mention movie-goers] are sick and tired of New York and Los Angeles? Get outta town!) then Tokyo could be a brilliant city for chaos creating.

LA makes sense from a development point of view because they've already got a lot of the city mapped out from Midnight Club, and to a lesser (or is that older?) extent LA Noire.

soldant
27-10-2011, 06:55 AM
That simile is a bit like a hammer to the face.
I'm talking about GTA, I don't have to be creative!

Shane
02-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Excerpts from someone on 4chan claiming to be a Rockstar employee, 'tis obvious that this needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
Title of the trailer
all the little pieces (trailer 1), its one of four planned before christmas.

On a question about what role gangs play in V from a gameplay perspective.
as if we'd go back to climbing a gang heirarchy after what we created with IV and the episodic content.

About the logo.
its based off a bank note specifically as a decoy

On the multiplayer:
cops & crooks

also, i forgot to mention it before: the locale of LS/LA is obvious, we've been researching LA for ages, photographing civvies, buildings etc. authenticity in the art is our no1 goal. also take two put out a fucking voice actor sheet a while back, that was balls retarded. don't put the word "hollywood" on the fucking release. they don't understand our art, for them its all business but fuck it, they know enough to let us do what we do in relative peace. so much lame drama from them, they go through CEOs like a rich guy through wives.

the character is partially african american. you're an ex-"agent"

it's sort of an allegory to CJ's journey in SA which was one of hate and spite, one of circumstance. this game is one made in a post-Obama nation, one of hopes being crushed. recession plays massive role. said too much again.

i can safely say no, but we've got a lot of the recording down already and the radio stuff is fucking hilarious. if you liked the stations in IV you'll get more of the same, if not better. that peado guy from the talk station makes a comeback, the writing on that material is fucking gold. everyone's favourite judge grady makes a great comeback, honestly, the music in this game is just incredible, excellent picks all round. or who knows, maybe i picked the music and am lying about not picking it?

we had to limit IV because the level of detail was just so vast. the transit between sa to IV was honestly technically like the trasit between 2 to 3, with hd everything has to be detailed. of course that lets us tell a better story so better in the long run just hard-work. we decided to amke the city a managable size in response.

we tend not to respond to other videogames, as a company we feel our product is more like a non-linear exploration of a film. personally, i dont think saints row is even in the same league as our games, but i get the criticism of "fun". put it this way: if you liked Ballad, you'll love this... we tried to tow the line between the story we wanted to tell and the entertaining ridiculousness of celebrity and fame and once again i've said too much. that being said, i think we managed to slip a couple of saint row refs in there, there's a great state of emergency one too that you old skool folks will love, better than heart of LC in my opin.

we've addressed these criticisms totally, take two made sure they fucking schooled us on that. still, we make the game we want to make, but the replay value is definitely there on this one. If you liked Ballad you will properly love this.

the other most popular criticism we get is the cell phone. when we were designing we thought the cell phone was a huge innovation, this time we've took it to the next level. this is in the trailer by the way, you have a proper smart phone, there's some major satirical referencing in that (apple, a riff on zune etc). after we got over that hurdle, it all just made sense (the maps, the missions as reminders etc). also: people don't ring you all the time, less Otis from dead rising, more casual. i always liked having to ring people up to initiate missions but this time its much more obvious.

not even we know, we have a date in mind but we dont like setting things in stone. we had a bad but necessary delay on IV that defo lost us points with the big boys upstairs. put it this way: online retailers use placeholder dates, don't believe them and don't pre-order till you can get a better deal, one that includes DLC. SAID TOO MUCH.

if you really feel that way then shite row can have your money. i dont see why you cant enjoy that sort of mindless fun and what we supply, which incidently is the most critically acclaimed and highest-rated videogame of our generation. for every one of you, we get three messages from people who loved it. we make the game we want to make, if you want to play SA then go buy and download SA, i'm pretty sure its for sale on steam or something so people tell me.

we experimented with things like this, but casuals don't tend to play thru more than once so they miss a lot. put it this way: don't expect revolutionary new way of structuring missions, we have a style that works for most and we stick to it. it's non-linear in a sense, but we always know where you are in the mission flow.

we considered it after the response but couldnt think of anything fun to do with the story. pretty sure all our GTAs will be set in the modern day from now on, and modern day VC wouldn't be anything special. LA is the second city in america in culture and finance, only to NYC. GTA is about how the media portray america, and LA is really the perfect place to do that, if you catch my drift. a certain news channel gets its anus torn right open.

there are some animals, this is in the trailer so its fine. don't get excited. after RDR we thought "why the fuck not?" there are certain animals which help make a city feel more real. NYC with only static pigeons felt kind of weird. there's some great interaction between homeless people and... nope, t.m.i as the kids say.

we tried to capture the essence of la so there are shit loads of ghettos obviously, the trailers will do the speaking for me.

its too much effort to handle pc in house, we usually port it to a sub and let them handle it. i don't really want to say never, but basically we'll never have a simultaneous release. too much work, the real money is in the consoles.

camera in-car has been addressed, one of the first things we fixed. you no longer have to press to correct view at high-speeds.

okay, umm... riots. that's all i'm saying. im not saying cheats, just... you'll experience riots.

synopsis and script was written long before london riots and op wall street, but... similar themes are evoked. huge post-recession feel in one of the most hopeful cities in the world, i absolutely love it, love it more than IV.

he meant "grove street" type ghetto streets, which there are a tonne of obviously. if you like old school west coast hiphop videos, you'll love this. you'll love this anyway but w/e.

shooting system has had a massive overhaul, its beautiful. hopefully you'll get to see it shown off soon. personally i love it, reminds me of other games but with a sort of... argh too much.

we want dlc to be worth your hard-earned money, we think we did well with IV's episodic content. but T2 like money, and diego's non-zombie DLC also sold really well. if we have to shift shitty multiplayer content in order to later shift actual worthwhile content, that's a compromise we're willing to make. as for now, no DLC is planned, we don't cut content from the game for day 1 dlc like... others.

soldant
02-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Sounds like a load of crap to be honest. At least the writing is pretty piss-poor.

they don't understand our art, for them its all business but fuck it, they know enough to let us do what we do in relative peace.
Oh wow, good one.

Shane
02-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Most probably, yes, its just bull. Anyway, we'll know for sure when the trailer comes up.

Bristoff
02-11-2011, 08:18 AM
I would love the LA setting personally, just so I could play out the bank scene from Heat over and over and over again.

On a serious note, I really hope they bring back some of the humour and pants-on-head retarded/batshit insane stuff that existed pre-GTA:IV. I played Vice City and San Andreas to death, multiple playthroughs and all (still load them up from time to time).

I mean, where was the mission in GTAIV where you had to highjack a combine harvester from a bunch of inbred rednecks (combine-harvesting as many of the toothless bastards in the process as possible) and deliver it to an old hippie voice by Peter Fonda, so he can harvest all his weed before the feds gets there?

That's the kinda stuff that made GTA what it is, and just to cut it all in one fell swoop is a crying shame.

Also, IV can get the fuck out with its realistic car handling. Just because driving a 20-year-old Cadilac at 100 mph through a corner with just a slight tweak of the handbrake isn't realistic, doesn't make it any less fun. Having it skitter and slide and crash into everything because it handles like the god damn Flatiron building on wheels is not a good gameplay experience, and I hope the guy who decided that was a good idea has been tarred and feathered. And castrated.

Vandelay
02-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Most of the actual details about the game sound as if they are most likely accurate, but it does smell like bullshit. He also contradicts himself regarding DLC, saying that there are no plans, but we should wait on pre-ordering until we see the ones including DLC.

Nalano
02-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Look, I know the original GTA was NY/Miami/SF, and they keep going back to them over and over, but goddamn - there's other cities out there. Do Chicago. Do New Orleans.

Oh, and that long diatribe is totally bullshit. Either that, or I'm seriously worried about the average literacy of the professional world.

BenWah
02-11-2011, 09:29 AM
My opinions are often the wrong ones to have, but I just had SO much more fun with Vice City and San Andreas than with GTA IV.
I'll probably play GTA V.

Still wish they'd port red dead redemption to PC, but they officially told us to forget it.

BULLY 2 could be really good

agentorange
02-11-2011, 09:43 AM
BULLY 2 could be really good

I wouldn't mind if they just straight re-made that with the GTAIV/RDR engine; having tried to play the PC version of Bully recently I can say that the game has aged horrendously, to the point where it is nearly unplayable.

sinister agent
02-11-2011, 10:12 AM
I actually think that Rockstar did more experimenting with GTA than people give them credit for. There were things that worked in San Andreas and things that didn't, and the same is true of GTA 4. They've experimented with different eras (VC, and arguably RDR), with throwing in absolutely everything they could think of (SA) and with scrapping that and going for realism and detail (GTA 4). I'm still optimistic that they can take the best of all of those and make a bloody good game out of it.

I wasn't a fan of GTA 4 when it came out, but (shameless plug) I am giving it another try now with a different attitude. Admittedly I've had to use a few mods as well. But even back in 2008, I had to acknowledge that Liberty City was very impressive indeed. The biggest complaint that can be levelled at all the games is that the missions are so restrictive. Maybe GTA 5 will be the one where they change that. They have other, succesful games that they can fall back on now - Red Dead and LA Noire have room for follow-ups - and they know that Saints Row has never been a more serious threat to their title, so they might be willing to take some major chances this time round.

Plus, they'll have seen what Saints Row 2 (and possibly some aspects of 3) did and be able to copy it, like they did last time (which isn't a criticism - it's just good practice to borrow good ideas, like GTA 4 did from Saints Row 1 - the mobile phone thing, the GPS, the proper fistfights).

I'm not holding my breath, and a GTA game hasn't really grabbed me since about 2004, but I think there's a fair chance that GTA 5 could be where Rockstar really pull out the stops.

Althea
02-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Rockstar are always experimenting with GTA.

GTA III was an experiment with 3D graphics.
GTA Vice City expanded upon that, added a sort of flying car that sort of works but doesn't.
GTA San Andreas massively expanded on both. Biggest world yet, actual flying vehicles, lots of superfluous things to do.
GTA Liberty City Stores + Vice City Stores were experiments with direct prequels and handhelds.
GTA IV was an experiment with a huge city, realism and so forth.
GTA Chinatown Wars was an experiment with a more classic point of view and the DS, later coming to iOS too.

DigitalSignalX
02-11-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm seriously worried about the average literacy of the professional world.

Apologies for being off topic, but you would be amazed. I've gotten emails from guys who make over 100k a year and write like a 10 year old. I don't mean a few misspellings, I mean serious 3rd grade literacy. What's more depressing is the majority are native US speakers and under 30 - so they grew up with computers and a modern education system.

Shane
02-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Now, after seeing the trailer, it does like the guy really was from Rockstar. Here's some more of what he said:

Yes, non-gun combat is interesting. No more on that however.

and LA takes six-level threats very seriously... (on wanted levels in the game)

honestly though, it didn't feel right to have an armed forces in NYC. no matter how bad it got, it was never exactly cloverfield. LA is a whole different kettle of rhinos... I meant fish, sorry, kettle of fish.

making the character drive is always about introducing the character to areas or environments, or forcing them to sit through expositional dialogue, or setting up a for a mission sequence. however, you aren't the only character that drives. that's all.

We handle all publicity in-house for GTA, it lets us control what people know and when they know it. that's why none of our trailer are like "HEY CHECK OUT THESE COOL GAME MODES". dan is very stringent about publicity in that manner. im not working on max payne 3 but from what ive been told its very interesting, an interesting departure from what you might call the "rockstar standard", cant wait to test it (if even possible).

"Honey, where'd you get those threads? Trash-can outside Binco?"

towards, full-steam ahead. but that doesn't mean it's going to be any less "fun", we just prefer substance. (answering a query about whether the game would tilt towards or away from how GTA 4 was)

we're steering away from early release dates after a fairly bad delay on IV but IV's announcement trailer was released about a year before its launch, so if i was a clever man i'd extrapolate.

we use mo-cap tech, it gives us better performances for characters in cutscenes.

we have just discussed at the office the possibility of release dates, however the PC version is lagging behind compared to the console versions. pc version will be a two month difference, at best.

Vexing Vision
02-11-2011, 04:27 PM
A bit disappointed.

GTA: Victora, set in the 18th century England (you have to steal carriages and rob the crown jewels a few times) would have been something!

Also, I don't get why the entire world appears to drool over the graphics. I never thought I'd ever use the term, but compared to Witcher 2, Skyrim and Batman, the animations and most importantly the horrible textures look very, very "last-gen".

I sincerely apologize for using that word. I will now go back to playing Avernum 6. Thank you.

Althea
02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
After playing through Arkham Asylum twice, the only "great" textures are those for Batman. Everyone else looks utterly shit.

As for The Witcher 2, that's subjective. I've tried it a couple of times and not once has it ever looked what I would call "great", just "very good" at best. More often than not it gives me graphical errors of some form.

GTA isn't about the graphics as such, more the art style. GTA San Andreas looks absolutely vile in stills, but in motion it's not bad. Same with GTA IV. It looks really rough in screenshots, but when you're playing it you just never notice because it looks a lot better in motion.

Vexing Vision
02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Of course it's subjective, but I'm a bit shocked to see most of the gaming industry (people who really should know better) going "OMG THAT LOOKS SO GORGEOUS GREAT GRAPHICS DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL".

Just wondering if I'm missing something.

For Witcher 2, the wall-textures in the ruins and the tree-textures have been a kind of revelation to me, but that's apparently definitely subjective. ;)

DigitalSignalX
02-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Just to reiterate what was mentioned in the blog post, there is a blimp in the trailer. And I want to fly it.

Bristoff
02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Just to reiterate what was mentioned in the blog post, there is a blimp in the trailer. And I want to fly it.

I want to see what happens if you drive a harrier through it.

Jockie
02-11-2011, 06:08 PM
The trailer didn't really do anything for me, but then again I'm one of those people who found GTA IV really dull and couldn't get into either of the Episodes.

Sorry to be all misery-pants about it, but GTA got a bit too real for me with all the appeasing your buddies who are actually pretty unlikeable people, driving around from location to location, while listening to shallow unappealing types wittering on about themselves spitting out cliche after cliche.

sinister agent
02-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Of course it's subjective, but I'm a bit shocked to see most of the gaming industry (people who really should know better) going "OMG THAT LOOKS SO GORGEOUS GREAT GRAPHICS DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL".

Just wondering if I'm missing something.

Only the last 20 years of the games industry, it seems. They've always been like that, surely.

Stormbane
02-11-2011, 08:42 PM
I really really like the trailer score. Also that lighting is amazing, I have trouble picturing that running on a 360.

Vandelay
02-11-2011, 09:16 PM
I thought the trailer was actually quite enticing, particular the game world. Definitely seemed to be bringing back a little more of the fun of the older games, although steering clear of the over topness of Saint's Row. Whether the gameplay will be at all interesting is completely another matter, of course. I enjoyed GTA4 enough (not tried the episodes yet,) but whether I could take another 20-30 hours of it is another matter.

On the graphics, there good, but certainly not amazing. The heat haze seems to be masking a lot of the actual detail.

Stormbane
02-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I had another look at the trailer and in the very first scene there is a dog! I don't think there have been any 4-legged creatures in previous GTA games has there?

Also there is a breif scene of a muscle beach with burly oiled men doing bench presses. Could this mean a return to the RPGish goodness of San Andreas? I certainly hope so.

DigitalSignalX
02-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Could this mean a return to the RPGish goodness of San Andreas? I certainly hope so.

The irony of exercising your character in a computer game was good entertainment. Plus keeping a steady rhythm was challenging on mouse/KB.

Oak
03-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Oh, poor, exhausted GTA Protagonist. Just when you thought you were out, they pulled you back in.

Hensler
03-11-2011, 12:31 AM
San Andreas is my favorite GTA game, so I'm stoked. Fingers crossed for a timely, working PC release.

Smashbox
03-11-2011, 12:45 AM
I hope it's a straight-up dad. With no friends to ring him on his cell.

TailSwallower
03-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Now, after seeing the trailer, it does like the guy really was from Rockstar.

I was pretty sure it was legit... Dunno why, just something about the attitude seemed genuine.

I had another look at the trailer and in the very first scene there is a dog! I don't think there have been any 4-legged creatures in previous GTA games has there?

And that was another thing the maybe-Rockstar-staffer mentioned. The animals were cool in RDR so they'd see how they worked in GTA. I had no problem killing animals in RDR because it was the frontier... But killing and skinning stray dogs in the suburbs? That is some straight-out sociopathic shit (I know, I know, no worse than murdering all those civilians, but for some reason to me it's different).

Hensler
03-11-2011, 01:28 AM
I hope it's a straight-up dad. With no friends to ring him on his cell.

Yeah, you could have the kids ring him up instead. Then you have to boost a mini-van to make sure they all get to soccer practice . And once they have a game, you set up on the closest building with a sniper rifle and take out the kids on the opposing team before they can score any goals. Then the wife calls and you have to get the kids home along with a gallon of milk.

DigitalSignalX
03-11-2011, 04:33 AM
Yeah, you could have the kids ring him up instead. Then you have to boost a mini-van to make sure they all get to soccer practice . And once they have a game, you set up on the closest building with a sniper rifle and take out the kids on the opposing team before they can score any goals. Then the wife calls and you have to get the kids home along with a gallon of milk.

You joke, but that would be an utterly awesome mission. Too bad the ESRB doesn't let you kill kids and still sell your game in Wal-Mart for some reason, when dismemberment and rape is just fine.

Smashbox
03-11-2011, 04:09 PM
You joke, but that would be an utterly awesome mission. Too bad the ESRB doesn't let you kill kids and still sell your game in Wal-Mart for some reason, when dismemberment and rape is just fine.

Wait... it is?

sinister agent
03-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Wait... it is?

We're going to be on the news!

DigitalSignalX
03-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Wait... it is?

correction.. "mention" of rape.

source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113129-Slow-Mo-Decapitations-Earn-Skyrim-an-M-Rating

DigitalSignalX
05-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Blatant bump, the GTA trailer is on IMBD (http://www.imdb.com/)'s featured trailers this week It's the first time I've ever seen a video game make the front page of a movie site (insert internet rage over evolution of video games into cinematic experiences).

clippa
06-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I found the trailer very dull and lifeless. Looks a bit dated too. I'm not holding my breath on it coming out on pc but I hope it does, with decent controls at the very least.