PDA

View Full Version : The Stupid Article Thread

Wizardry
25-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I've been toying with the idea of making a thread for stupid and/or factually inaccurate gaming articles for some time, but I held off from doing so for some unknown reason. However, since a certain rage-inducing article popped up I fast-tracked the idea.

So basically this thread is for people to link to stupid gaming related articles that really piss them off. Perhaps you've come across an article that spreads straight up lies. Perhaps you've come across an article that expresses opinion as fact. Perhaps you've come across an article so biased that you feel the whole publication should lose credibility. If so, this is the thread for you.

Wizardry
25-10-2011, 06:56 PM
http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/121/1210544p1.html

Probably the worst gaming article I've ever seen. Almost every single paragraph is full of inaccuracies and the entirety is so biased towards Japanese games that you have to wonder whether the writer has ever played a game made in the US or Europe before.

The gist of the article is that at first there were some crappy American RPGs, then for two decades the Japanese dominated everything and revolutionised the entire genre with unique game mechanics, and only recently the west have started to make anything noteworthy by presumably copying the Japanese.

To pick out some specific parts:

The first title that inspired legions of imitators was Dragon Quest, also known as Dragon Warrior in America. It was revolutionary, and its blueprint is evident even today. You explore the game's overworld while trotting from town to town, selling goods and interacting with local residents until you're ready to hit your next locale. Herbs heal you. Magic points let you cast spells. Sound familiar?
Yes. It does sound familiar. It sounds like some western RPGs that came out before Dragon Quest. But hey, Dragon Quest inspired other games, completely ignoring the fact that Dragon Quest itself was inspired by earlier western games! Let's praise Dragon Quest!

The games creators over the years haven't done much to alter the series' turn-based battle system, even in Dragon Quest sequels that were produced decades later. Other series that were influenced by that style have gone on to great success, namely the Final Fantasy franchise.
Yeah. The Dragon Quest battle system was revolutionary and inspired games like Final Fantasy, even though it was basically a straight Wizardry rip off!

And the Diablo series introduced a randomized level structure to gamers
No it didn't. Rogue did. And between Rogue and Diablo, probably hundreds of rogue-likes.

Tactical RPGs such as Ogre Battle, Shining Force, Fire Emblem and their respective sequels grew RPG battles from individual or small team-based affairs to full-on warfare as you controlled your army of shuffling pixels against enemy troops.
That's cool and all, but if you're so obsessed with "influences", as you've been mentioning exactly which JRPGs have inspired other JRPGs, then why not mention that tactical RPGs were made in the west all the way back in the mid 80s? But even if you want to talk about controlling whole armies instead of relatively small parties, you could have at least mentioned King's Bounty.

Final Fantasy VII was a turning point for the industry. The RPG was no longer a Dungeons & Dragons clone fleshed out with stats and vacant character models. The stories could get dark, deep and definitely emotional.
So many flaws with this. All Final Fantasy VII did was shove in a bunch of crappy cut-scenes. It's no more "dark, deep and definitely emotional" than countless games before it.

Extended, movie-quality CGI cutscenes. Realist facial expressions and lip movements. Well-scripted, well-acted dialogue. These factors made FFX a genre-spanning success and helped cement the PS2 as the console of choice for gamers looking for a cinematic experience and narrative polish that had been somewhat lacking in many previous generations of RPGs
Yeah. That's surely why RPGs are so amazing today!

The East has typically snatched up the turn-based combat and anime-influenced character designs of most Japanese RPGs. In America, the biggest selling RPGs Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, Fallout share traits with the Western RPGs that came before then. They're grittier, action-oriented and take place in vast, open worlds.
So the "western RPGs that came before" were mostly "action-oriented"? Like what? I can't think of many at all. Probably less than 5%.

I like the way the author starts the article off my mentioning "Ultima, Gateway to Apshai and Wizardry", then talks about JRPGs being the best things ever, and then at the end mentioning Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls and Fallout, while both completely ignoring every single RPG that came in between and also playing down the revolutionary aspects of those early western RPGs. This guy has missed out over two decades of western RPG development. Over two decades!

What does it take to get a job writing unresearched and biased pieces of crap like this article? I can't believe people make a living off this shit.

coldvvvave
25-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Space Marine preview from some guy who was bent on portraying Space Marine as a total Gears of War rip-off. Which is fine by me. But then he said that "I get it, I get it, both Space Marines and CoGs are supposed to be sci fi analogues of American Marines" and I like fell from my chair. US Marines are genetically enchanced brainwashed religious fanatics who spit poison?

Wizardry
25-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Space Marine preview from some guy who was bent on portraying Space Marine as a total Gears of War rip-off. Which is fine by me. But then he said that "I get it, I get it, both Space Marines and CoGs are supposed to be sci fi analogues of American Marines" and I like fell from my chair. US Marines are genetically enchanced brainwashed religious fanatics who spit poison?
Have you got a link for that?

coldvvvave
25-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Have you got a link for that?

Oops, forgot to post a link.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/05/25/how-many-ways-can-thqs-space-marine-game-rip-off-gears-of-war/

When you aim a gun in Space Marine, the target reticle is huge, just like the target reticle in Gears of War.

QuantaCat
25-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I dont have anything to contribute, but please continue! For my part in this, I dont read a lot of gaming articles aside from RPS ones, and theyre usually good anyway, but what annoy me the most are the comments. So much, that I start writing an answer to them, then delete it again, and vent on twitter that I absolutely ragehatemurderdeathkill commentors on teh interwebs.

Wizardry
25-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Looks like IGN have heavily modified the article I linked to. It's now titled "A History of Console RPGs" instead of "A History of RPGs" and it's also been padded out somewhat. No doubt it's due to a heavy number of complaints.

icupnimpn2
25-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Oops, forgot to post a link.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/05/25/how-many-ways-can-thqs-space-marine-game-rip-off-gears-of-war/

Whoa, this one has a long update, too. Poor Dean Takahashi just wanted to walk into a room, immediately make up his mind about a game (in one look) and post his summary, king-like degree. He should be able to do so without any clamoring from the rabble, since he has a long career and wrote two books about the xbox.

This is the same Dean Takahashi that slammed Mass Effect after playing eight hours of it (that felt like twelve) because he didn't know he could level up the characters. He later wrote a series of "mea culpas." (http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2008/01/23/mass_effect_revisted_no_more_mass_defect_part_1/)

Basically, Dean is the perfect reviewer for the xbox crowd. I can imagine 30 million Madden Football and Gears of War fans out there looking at Space Marine for one second and saying, "@&(^ this Gears ripoff." Or playing Mass Effect and not knowing how to level up and saying, "@&$)@ this geek !@*#."

Roarster
25-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I suspect IGN will be quite popular on this thread...

One of my favorites is the SingStar ABBA review (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/933/933645p1.html) if only for the writers seeming amazement that anyone would want to sing along to ABBA.

SirKicksalot
25-10-2011, 08:39 PM
A classic - IGN's Football Manager 2009 review. Final score: 2.0. It was pulled so I'll just link to this thread. (http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=133113)

4.0 Gameplay
Yes, the depth of management in this game is impressive. But, it’s not impressive enough to make up for the fact that you aren’t actually playing soccer.

On a related note, here's the IGeNerator (http://www.jocchan.com/stuff/IGeNerator/). Go ahead and generate IGN headlines - most of the time you can't make the difference between IGeNerator and the real site.

Shark
25-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I dont have anything to contribute, but please continue! For my part in this, I dont read a lot of gaming articles aside from RPS ones, and theyre usually good anyway, but what annoy me the most are the comments. So much, that I start writing an answer to them, then delete it again, and vent on twitter that I absolutely ragehatemurderdeathkill commentors on teh interwebs.
This^
Also how much posts do you bet will it take until this turns into a Jim sterling thread?

Mihkel
25-10-2011, 09:03 PM
This^
Also how much posts do you bet will it take until this turns into a Jim sterling thread?

Don't think that it will take alot. I gotta say that he does have some good articles but that doesn't make up for the shit he has written.

Kaira-
25-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Your mileage may vary, but I find this always oh-so-irritating. Not on the wholly, but only partially (Colin Moriarty to be excact):
http://tv.ign.com/articles/773/773556p1.html
And yes, it's not video games, but god damn.

Colin Moriarty
Writer, IGN TV
This is undoubtedly going to irritate many IGN TV readers (and even my own editors), but here it is anyway: The Simpsons has never been a good show - ever - and comparing it to something that actually makes people laugh, like Family Guy, seems a little odd to me. Family Guy is one of the finest cartoons to ever air. The Simpsons isn't. I'd trade in the entire catalog of The Simpsons just to get my hands on the 89 episodes of the UK's DangerMouse... but that goes without saying. Hearing that damn theme song, "The Simpsonnnnnns"... it makes me scurry for the remote every single time. I won't lie.

Shark
25-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Colin Moriarty
Family Guy is one of the finest cartoons to ever air. The Simpsons isn't.
20% more sex jokes equate 100% more fun!

Fumarole
25-10-2011, 09:29 PM
4.0 Gameplay
Yes, the depth of management in this game is impressive. But, it's not impressive enough to make up for the fact that you aren’t actually playing soccer.That's an amazingly lame thing to put into a review for that game.

Berzee
25-10-2011, 09:38 PM
That's an amazingly lame thing to put into a review for that game.

He also gave Starcraft II a 2.0 because you aren't shooting the guns yourself.

P.S. That is a lie, but ONLY TECHNICALLY.

Smashbox
25-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I give your comment a 2/10 because you didn't mention Speedy Gonzalas.

fiddlesticks
25-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Colin Moriarty
For a split second I was imagining Professor Moriarty from Sherlock Holmes reviewing video games. That would have been glorious.

That aside, I too enjoy UK's Danger Mouse. I also enjoy the articles posted in this thread, so keep 'em coming.

Anthile
25-10-2011, 09:55 PM
The great tragedy of console RPGs is that most of them never make it to the west, regardless of quality.

TillEulenspiegel
25-10-2011, 10:01 PM
The answer to "Family Guy vs. The Simpsons" is always "Futurama".

But yeah. Has that guy even seen the first ten seasons? Because it used to be a totally different thing.

Wizardry
25-10-2011, 10:18 PM
So I've read the expanded and re-targeted article and I've found even more crap.

The green-capped hero of The Legend of Zelda wrote the book on action RPG gameplay, tackling the toughest dungeons with the aid of the equipment he found scattered around a massive-for-the-time open world. This nonlinear style of game progression offered a vast alternative to the seemingly on-rails approach of some earlier RPGs and dungeon crawlers. The series also toned down many of the overt Dungeons & Dragons elements that had become standard RPG. With the exception of the first Zelda's direct sequel, no other games in the franchise have displayed numbers or any other figures in combat.
What on-rails approach of earlier RPGs? RPGs were probably at their most non-linear in the 80s. It's clear that the writer hasn't played any RPG that came out before Zelda, a series that isn't even an RPG one. He says that Zelda toned down the Dungeons & Dragons elements. What Dungeons & Dragons elements did it tone down? It doesn't have any Dungeons & Dragons elements.

And the main character was a woman [in Phantasy Star], one of the first glimpses of gender equality in the incredibly male-dominated world role playing.
What? You could choose your gender in all the previous western RPGs. Literally all of them. How is being forced to play a 15 year old girl "gender equality"? Absolutely shit journalism right there.

The game's advanced-for-the-time graphics [in Phantasy Star], which gave it a faux-3D feel, also helped introduce the genre to many critics who felt RPGs were too text-heavy and aesthetically unappealing.
Yeah because this (http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/36748-phantasy-star-sega-master-system-screenshot-in-game-2s.gif) is better than this (http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/64063-dungeon-master-atari-st-screenshot-combat-s.png).

On the computer side, The Bard's Tale spiced up the rote dungeon-crawler format by injecting a little humor into the adventure.
Okay guys. This is plain embarrassing now. Do you know what this guy has gone and done? He's gotten mixed up between The Bard's Tale (1985) and The Bard's Tale (2004), a comedy action RPG of little relation. How can someone get paid for knowing absolutely nothing about games? And how can someone write an article about the history of the genre while not knowing anything about The Bard's Tale?

Chrono Trigger built on that nonlinear style of gameplay by introducing a storyline that would be considered dense even by today's standards. The game's time-traveling protagonist waded through the game like he was in a choose-your-own-adventure book, tackling the plot in whatever order you preferred.
So this guy has heard that Chrono Trigger has a time travelling story, and then assumed it was non-linear? Chrono Trigger is as linear as you can get for the genre.

Sephiroth, the one-winged angel and ubiquitous antagonist from multiple Square titles, descends from the ceiling and impales your protagonist's lady friend with his comically oversized sword. It was seriously heavy stuff for a video game at the time, and that one scene from Final Fantasy VII was a turning point for the industry.
Or how about when Lord Blackthorn executes one of your party members upon getting caught trespassing in his castle in Ultima V back in 1988? Nah. Can't be. It's not as popular as Final Fantasy VII you see!

zookeeper
25-10-2011, 11:04 PM
I really don't have anything to contribute because I don't read a lot of articles about games (mostly because, with few exceptions, they seem to be written by 8 year olds) but I completely approve of this thread and eagerly await the hilarity/anger.

somini
25-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Just another comment to tell that I await what other gems are coming out of this epic thread. And I bet there will be a Jim Sterling/Jimquisiton link in the post below me.

Noman
25-10-2011, 11:33 PM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196353p1.html

That one really got to me, probably because of my rampant elder scrolls fanboyism. But even so, I don't think anyone could really consider this a fair comparison. It contrasts the strongest elements of one game with weak elements of another, presents skyrim in a negative light and makes an unfair judgement on a game that wasn't set to come out for 2 months.

TillEulenspiegel
25-10-2011, 11:52 PM
So this guy has heard that Chrono Trigger has a time travelling story, and then assumed it was non-linear? Chrono Trigger is as linear as you can get for the genre.
I was assuming the guy simply hadn't played any computer RPGs. But how can you write shit like that about one of the best-loved JRPGs of all time? Sure, Chrono Trigger opens up a bit towards the end. But even then, it bears no resemblance whatsoever to a Choose Your Own Adventure book. There is, I believe, one significant choice in the entire game - whether to kill Magus.

It was seriously heavy stuff for a video game at the time, and that one scene from Final Fantasy VII was a turning point for the industry.
Oh, so this is total ass-pullery. What a ludicrous, unsupportable assertion. FF7 was released in 1997, with a rich history of videogames that came before it. Even Chrono Trigger had "heavy stuff". This is a plot point that has thousands of years of history in fiction; the notion that it's somehow special and revolutionary when put in a videogame cutscene is just incredible.

TillEulenspiegel
25-10-2011, 11:58 PM
It contrasts the strongest elements of one game with weak elements of another, presents skyrim in a negative light and makes an unfair judgement on a game that wasn't set to come out for 2 months.
While we're on IGN's greatest hits of stuff a 15 year old would be embarrassed to post on his personal blog, I gotta go for the Dead Space 2 review:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1145296p1.html

slick_101
26-10-2011, 12:18 AM
I know this is going to sound a bit dickish. But I find any articles on metacritic that give a game 100 whenever the rest of the critics give the game scores of 60-80-ish

Kodeen
26-10-2011, 01:15 AM
I have another article that pissed me off when I read it, and hey what do you know, it's also by IGN. They are great. You'll appreciate this one Wizardry, unless you read RPGcodex, in which case you've probably already seen it.

http://games.ign.com/articles/119/1199206p1.html

Wizardry
26-10-2011, 01:30 AM
I have another article that pissed me off when I read it, and hey what do you know, it's also by IGN. They are great. You'll appreciate this one Wizardry, unless you read RPGcodex, in which case you've probably already seen it.

You see, I'm okay with most of that article. The one thing that pisses me off about it, though, is the bit about "tiresome stats" in other games. What games are these? He goes on to talk about how accessible Skyrim is, but accessibility is the key for companies such as BioWare and Obsidian too. All so called RPGs are aiming to be as accessible as possible while getting rid of "tiresome stats". So basically he bitches about what he thinks RPGs are and praises Skyrim for being the opposite, while his perceptions are entirely wrong. RPGs with "tiresome stats" died out a decade ago.

Fiyenyaa
26-10-2011, 09:35 AM

Oooh, apparently it's a game with "things to do". I'm really interested now.

Skalpadda
26-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Oh, we're picking on IGN? The Idle Thumbs igndotcom Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/#%21/igndotcom) is always good for a laugh. :)