PDA

View Full Version : Console exclusives you wish were on PC

Kodeen
26-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Recently I just re-purchased Pikmin 2 for Gamecube/Wii, at a frigging $60 used because it's rare. I used to have a copy, but I lent it to a coworker and then he moved. What a bastard-faced bastard face! Anyway, this got me to thinking that this game should be on PC, it's an RTS with a pointer, it's begging for a KbM setup.

So what do you think needs a proper PC version?

thegooseking
26-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Front Mission. Why Square Enix thought that turn-based tactical RPGs are not suitable for PCs, but third-person shooter spinoffs of said turn-based tactical RPGs are, I just don't know.

Althea
26-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Gears of War 2 + 3
Halo 3 thru Reach, incl. Wars
Heavy Rain
Red Dead Redemption
Civilization Revolution

Grizzly
26-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Gran Turismo.

Wizardry
26-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Front Mission. Why Square Enix thought that turn-based tactical RPGs are not suitable for PCs, but third-person shooter spinoffs of said turn-based tactical RPGs are, I just don't know.
I thought that was rather obvious. PC gamers don't like tactical turn-based RPGs.

Unaco
26-10-2011, 04:23 PM
I thought that was rather obvious. PC gamers don't like tactical turn-based RPGs.

Speak for yourself Wizardry. Some of us are quite fond of them.

Icarus
26-10-2011, 04:29 PM
TimeSplitters Future Perfect. There, I said it.

Also LittleBigPlanet, Red Dead Redemption, Demon/Dark Souls.

squirrel
26-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Kingdom under Fire: Heroes and the Crusaders should be played better with mouse+keyboard, I guess.

Unreal Championship 2, dont bury it with original Xbox.

Final Fantasy XII, I love (seemingly) large game world. And why Square stopped porting FF to PC since FF X?

Tikey
26-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Double fine games.

KauhuK
26-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Valkyria Chronicles. All of em for PC as a HD remakes.

Unaco
26-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Demons Souls/Dark Souls
Heard so much good about them, and the Steam RPS chat has been quite inundated recently with talk of Gaping Dragons and Midnight Butterflys and +7 Longswords and whatever else. They sound like they would be games I would appreciate.

ICO/Shadow of the Collosus

Red Dead Redemption

Wizardry
26-10-2011, 04:41 PM
What do you think of the combat model in Knights of Legend?

Casimir Effect
26-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Halo 3 onwards. In a sea of military manshoots it was nice to have something over-the-top and scifi which wasn't overly gritty or depressing. And ODST was fucking awesome.

Definitely things like Valkyria Chronicles as well.

And Crimson Skies: Deadly Alliance. I need my zeppelins

vinraith
26-10-2011, 04:52 PM

Indeed, it's a source of some frustration that these kinds of games don't turn up on PC. This genre, and old school dungeon crawlers like Etrian Odyssey, are the entire reason I own a DS. Both genres would be very, very welcome on PC again.

To the broader question, if I could think of many examples I'd probably own a present-gen console. Other than the genres mentioned above, Dark Souls and Demons Souls are really the only other titles that spring to mind. Oh, and Wipeout HD.

CrinnyCow
26-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Dark Souls and Demon Souls like everyone else said... I own a 360 and will eventually pick up Dark Souls. But I'd pick it up sooner if it was on PC.

Wizardry
26-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Has everyone who wants Demon's Souls and Dark Souls on the PC played Blade of Darkness? It's less an RPG but has far better combat.

Rauten
26-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Another one for Demon&Dark Souls;
Also, Rez and Child of Eden (Tetsuya Mizuguchi is our saviour, you people just don't know it yet).

Althea
26-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Oh, Fable 2. Fable 2.

golden_worm
26-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Disgaea
Bushido Blade
Gladius
Eternal Darkness

Vexing Vision
26-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Valkyria Chronicles. All of em for PC as a HD remakes.

YES. NOW.

Also, I'd like Brütal Legend as a PC remake so I can rip the music tracks more easily and don't have to suffer through horrid Xbox-textures.

Has everyone who wants Demon's Souls and Dark Souls on the PC played Blade of Darkness? It's less an RPG but has far better combat.

I have. Love Severance (I assume that's what you mean), which anecdotally has been the best-selling title for Codemasters in 2001 while also being their first title to receive an 18+ and land on Germany's index.

It aged quite well, by the way - still highly recommended. However, it really doesn't replace nor satisfy the desire to play Demon/Dark Souls - but I'm really not going to buy a PS3 for them.

Berzee
26-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Valkyrie Profile
Vagrant Story

Althea
26-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Eternal Darkness
Yes, definitely.

Flint
26-10-2011, 05:52 PM
The Resistance series. One of the few FPS series on consoles that do things a bit more differently (as far as I know), would be great to have it on the PC so you could get proper controls for it. I even have a PS3 but playing FPS games on a pad is insanely awkward to me.

Also Red Dead Redemption.

Outright Villainy
26-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Demon souls and Dark souls, as others have said. I'm really interested in trying them sometime, guess I'll have to steal my brother's ps3 or something. Oh, and I've finished Red dead redemption before, but I'd buy it again in a second if it were on pc. It seems so well suited to it...

Berzee
26-10-2011, 06:34 PM
In the past I would have said Shenmue, as well. =P But that was before it came out -- I never heard if it was actually good or not.

Rauten
26-10-2011, 06:38 PM
In the past I would have said Shenmue, as well. =P But that was before it came out -- I never heard if it was actually good or not.

As a proud DreamCast owner and completely blindfolded rabid fanboy of the system, I can say YES. DEAR GOD YES! Specially Shenmue II! IT'S SO GREAT AWHFIOAWHIFHALI *mouth frothing abounds abundantly*

vinraith
26-10-2011, 06:38 PM

I always thought the best thing about Shenmue was that you could play Space Harrier in the arcade. Then again, I'm not a big fan of Japanese adventure games.

Smashbox
26-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Forza series
Persona 3/4
Red Dead Redemption
Valkiria Chronicles
That new Zelda game

Tikey
26-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Shadow of the Colossus

Aspongeinmauve
26-10-2011, 07:31 PM
The Legend of Zelda series and the Final Fantasy series. Zelda isn't much of a problem as I have most of the Nintendo platforms, but it's really awkward with Final Fantasy as there are so many of them and they're spread across so many platforms, many of which I don't care for and/or can't be emulated, so it's a pain. FFXIII wasn't quite as good as the previous titles, but would definitely be interesting on PC as the graphics were very impressive for a console, so I'd love to see what top end PCs could make of it.

Rii
26-10-2011, 07:36 PM
I hope the OP realises that there's a Wii re-release of Pikmin 2 available...

Kodeen
26-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I hope the OP realises that there's a Wii re-release of Pikmin 2 available...

Not in the States. I don't know why they withheld that one from us, I certainly would have preferred that as opposed to 'Donkey Kong hits drums which aren't drums this time'.

db1331
26-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Demons Souls/Dark Souls
Heard so much good about them, and the Steam RPS chat has been quite inundated recently with talk of Gaping Dragons and Midnight Butterflys and +7 Longswords and whatever else. They sound like they would be games I would appreciate.

ICO/Shadow of the Collosus

Red Dead Redemption

All those games you mentioned are exactly why I bought a PS3 earlier this year. Demon's Souls was the first game I bought. Sadly, my PS3 died on the 7th, 3 days after I picked up Dark Souls at launch, and halfway through my SotC playthrough. I just got it back from the warranty depot last night. You know, the same day BF3 came out. Sigh. So little time...

creative42
26-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Um...dare I say Spyro The Dragon? I played the original trilogy on the Playstation 1 and loved it (even more than FFVII and the Resident Evil series). It was just a fun game that you could play for as little or as long as you wanted to, and something I think the PC lacks.

Also, Jet Set Radio. I found it a bit frustrating on the Dreamcast and didn't get very far, but would give it another go if it ever made its way onto PC.

Aspongeinmauve
26-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Yep, Spyro is excellent, I daresay it is one of few games that suits a gamepad though.

pkt-zer0
26-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Guardian Heroes HD! And the rest of Treasure's games as well.

pakoito
26-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Bayonetta.
Civilization Revolution.
Marvel vs Capcom 3.
Castle Crashers and BattleBlock Theatre.
Dark Souls, I guess.

Anything from Wii backwards, you can play them on emulator.

EDIT: Also, Eternal Darkness is sooooooooooooooooo overrated IMO. I got to the 4th ancestor and it was meh all the way.

db1331
26-10-2011, 09:42 PM
I disagree. I played Eternal Darkness for the first time not even a year ago, and it still holds up today. It's no Wind Waker, but it has to be in the top 3 games made for Gamecube.

thekeats1999
26-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles, still working my way through the game and have enjoyed every minute of it. The game deserves full blown HD textures. Plus it has learnt lessons from the likes of Gothic (it is quite easy to wander into areas with extremely difficult monsters) and Oblivion with a much more open nature than other JRPG's.

Would love to see both the Shin Megami Tensai & Persona series on the PC, some nice dungeon crawling in there.

I would also like to see the likes of the Gaurdian Heroes remake or the Cave shooters make an appearance.

Into really wishful thinking, the likes of Uncharted 3, Heavy Rain and Alan Wake.

pakoito
26-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Into really wishful thinking, the likes of Uncharted 3, Heavy Rain and Alan Wake.www.netflix.com

Rii
26-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Not in the States. I don't know why they withheld that one from us, I certainly would have preferred that as opposed to 'Donkey Kong hits drums which aren't drums this time'.

Oh I see. How unfortunate.

If it's any consolation I suspect that Pikmin 3 will be a launch title for Wii U.

Nalano
26-10-2011, 11:26 PM
katamari damacy

DigitalSignalX
26-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Red Dead Redemption, Forza 4, The Last Guardian, Little Big Planet, The Halo series after 2.

Prokroustis
27-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Alan Wake
Red Dead Redemption
Demon's/Dark Souls
latest Metal Gear installments
and dare I say Tekken series? (SF just doesn't sit well for me..)

Smashbox
27-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Metal Gear!

3 is just a great, focused game.

4 has some major problems, but it's deliriously bizarre and original. If you're going to go Very Linear and Tightly Scripted, this is how you do it (minus several hours of cutscenes).

SephKing
27-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Red Dead Redemption
Forza 4
Infamous 2
Alan Wake
Uncharted 3
Yakuza series
Gears of War 3
Demon Souls
Halo Anniversary (& Reach)
God Of War 3
ICO & SOC collection

I'm quite tempted to buy a PS3 or 360 but they both have games I want equally and I can't make up my mind which to get. Plus the above are the only games I want for them so once I finish them the console will just sit around collecting dust. I've owned both consoles a couple of times but I always end up getting rid of them as they have huge dry spells where feck all comes out for them (that's not on PC).

TailSwallower
27-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Red Dead Redemption

+1. Enjoyed it far more than any of the GTAs since the first.

Double fine games.

Especially Trenched, which I have evangelised about previously.

As a few people have mentioned it, I actually have Alan Wake sitting in shrink wrap waiting to be played, but I've hardly touched my 360 since getting my new laptop.

icemann
27-10-2011, 02:22 AM
Shadowrun (the snes game). That plus the ability to make your own levels/areas would be awesome.

Infamous. Sandbox game, with special powers + the better resolutions and graphics the PC provides = yes please.

Seconding the earlier mention of the Resistance games. As far as console FPS games go, they are damn fun games. To play them with proper accuracy, especially the online multiplayer co-op from Resistance 2 would be great.

Snatcher (Sega Mega CD) & Policenauts (PS1 with english translation patch). These 2 games go hand in hand, and due to the point and click (or shoot in some sections) interface of the game, it would work perfectly on the PC. Getting Hideo Kojima to put the time in to get an official english version of Policenauts out there would be a huge challenge however.

Castlevania Symphony of The Night & Super Metroid - If Cave story's initial release on the PC proves anything, its that "Metroidvania" games work perfectly fine on PC. Wish these were available on PC (emulation doesn't count).

Oh and Super Castlevania IV, cause that game was awesome.

The JG Man
27-10-2011, 02:25 AM
Halo: Reach - I thought it was a genuinely fantastic game, regardless of the franchise. Great single player that was nicely replayable, the co-op of the Firefight horde mode was good, as well as the ridonkulous customisation of it so you could have some crazy set-ups. Unlimited jet-pack and rocket launcher? Hells yeah! The MP is also great and thankfully is completely devoid of skill-defying unlocks. The only part I dislike is that since Bungie relented control, it's been patched to the will of the MLG 'pro' gamers. Bastards, ruining a well balanced game because they only wanted to use 2 weapons. Sigh.

What I mean to say is, Reach is a great crazy-action MP game that is completely with a fantastic package. I think it's better than 3. As for Wars, it was a good game, but not special enough to rival any of the big RTS games on the PC.

I'd also go for Zelda titles, although fortunately we seem to have Darksiders for that. Either way, it'd be nice to have them without resorting to having a GC/Wii and Dolphining them.

Finally, WipeOut. Because holy balls that's the best racing game series I've ever played. So good. Combined with improved visuals and a mod scene to make even more mind-bending tracks, well...awesome.

outoffeelinsobad
27-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. I once mustered enough bravado to fight through an entire level and destroy a Flamelurker -- with vigour! and vim! -- and then decided to boldly stride onward. And then there was a Dragon God.

c-Row
27-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Finally, WipeOut. Because holy balls that's the best racing game series I've ever played. So good. Combined with improved visuals and a mod scene to make even more mind-bending tracks, well...awesome.

Only one mention of WipEout and on page 3 even? I am disappoint.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
27-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Red Dead Redemption

The Darkness

Toy Soldiers WW1 and Toy Soldiers Cold War

Old Nintendo games like the way Sega sells old Sega games on Steam

Battlefield 1943 (announced for PC but seems like vaporware now)

Alan Wake (didn't they promise this would come out on PC later? I haven't heard anything)

THE WARRIORS. Fucking awesome game but now I need to re-buy an X-Box 1 to play it again

Althea
27-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Alan Wake (didn't they promise this would come out on PC later? I haven't heard anything)
No, the thing with Alan Wake was it was - for the most part - a PC and 360 game. Maybe 6 months before release - Just six! - Microsoft announced it would be 360 only with some reason about a "better experience" on the 360.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
27-10-2011, 10:18 AM
No, the thing with Alan Wake was it was - for the most part - a PC and 360 game. Maybe 6 months before release - Just six! - Microsoft announced it would be 360 only with some reason about a "better experience" on the 360.

Right, I remember that. I also have a vague recollection of them saying that they'll port it later on.

But then I searched "alan wake" in Tags on RPS and found this story: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/22/alans-wake-remedy-too-teeny-for-pc/

and I think it was Kieron's own comment that made me remeber it that way: "My take? Expect to see Alan Wake PC six months to a year after the 360 release."

Unfortunately we're way past 6 months :(

Ian
27-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Most of the obvious ones have been mentioned. So I'll say Madden.

I could never quite decide if it was a game that was a bit shit but with some properly great moments (including some of the QTEs, I'm aggrieved to say) or if it was a good game with some proper shit in there.

Needless to say, I bought and completed both of them.

Rii
27-10-2011, 11:21 AM
For the most part I prefer my PC games on PC and my console games on consoles.

Dominic Tarason
27-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Looks like Iron Brigade - formerly Trenched - is coming to Steam:

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5056/

Can't wait for it - the 360 version STILL isn't out in Europe, due to some portugese board-game creator apparently owning the word 'Trench' and wanting a slice of the pie.

thegooseking
27-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Only one mention of WipEout and on page 3 even? I am disappoint.

The first time I played Wipeout, it was on PC. So was Wipeout 2097.

Though it would have been nice if subsequent entries in the series were, too, though the only one of those I've played is Wipeout Fusion.

squareking
27-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Um...dare I say Spyro The Dragon?

Excellent soundtracks, too, by way of Stewart Copeland!

Ghil
28-10-2011, 11:45 AM
for Spyro, Skylanders is out on PC I think.

Dark Souls would be genius on PC. I'd prefer playing it on my pc, but since it's exclusive, I'm stealing my roommate's PS3 for the occasion :P

Althea
28-10-2011, 11:49 AM
for Spyro, Skylanders is out on PC I think.
Yes, but it's hardly the same.

Ghil
28-10-2011, 12:05 PM
At least it's something resembling, right?

Althea
28-10-2011, 12:11 PM
At least it's something resembling, right?
Actually, I don't think so. I think we're talking the level of similarity between Super Mario Bros. and Mario Paint.

Ghil
28-10-2011, 12:44 PM
That much different? wow, the game must suck harder than I thought it would. Also as a tangent, Mario Paint rocked.

Icarus
28-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Oh, also, the Metroid Prime trilogy.

Ghil
28-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Every Metroid but the primes. I don't know why, I just hated them compared to the magnificence of the 2D outings.

Icarus
28-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Every Metroid but the primes. I don't know why, I just hated them compared to the magnificence of the 2D outings.

Reasonable opinion. It's possible to play the 2D games via emulator easily enough, though, that was my first exposure to the series- Super Metroid on ZSNES.

Ghil
28-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes but an official HD package rerelease would be the best thing. Including the Primes for a Complete Package would make it a really nice complete compilation.

Icarus
28-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Oh yeah, I'd kill up to three tramps for such a thing.

AlonePlusEasyTarget
28-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Beatles : Rock Band

I just want to play 'Within You Without You' using my keyboard.

trjp
28-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Dark Souls would be genius on PC. I'd prefer playing it on my pc, but since it's exclusive, I'm stealing my roommate's PS3 for the occasion :P

That's just wrong, I'm afraid...

Dark Souls is a horrible thing - it takes the console RPG experience (irritating sparse savepoints, loads of repetition) and tries to 'grow it up' by making it hard and complicated with an end result that's ugly (in looks, content, gameplay - the lot).

They've confused 'hard' and 'hard work' - porting it to PC would only put it in even worse a light - PC gamers wouldn't stand for the nasty checkpointing, endless repetition etc. etc. - let alone the 'designed for controller' combat system.

PC Gamers might buy into the bewildering complexity of the thing - perhaps - but there would still be a LOT of wailing about the frankly fucking awful implementation and the way it just LOVES wasting your time.

Jockie
28-10-2011, 02:03 PM
irritating sparse savepoints,

The game Autosaves every 10 seconds..

Gentleman Jim Stacey
28-10-2011, 02:15 PM
They've confused 'hard' and 'hard work' - porting it to PC would only put it in even worse a light - PC gamers wouldn't stand for the nasty checkpointing, endless repetition etc. etc. - let alone the 'designed for controller' combat system.

Yes, because console gamers have small brains, with brains a third the size of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dTvSa1rCOY

Jockie
28-10-2011, 02:19 PM
It's pretty much my game of the year and the only console game I've bought this year. Evidently I have (as Derek Smart once said) "No fucking brain cells".

Ghil
28-10-2011, 02:26 PM

You have to explain something to me. How can my opinion be wrong? :P

I played the game, almost to completion, and loved it to bits. While the lack of a pause menu is completely retarded (this is not added challenge, this is annoying when you have to answer the phone or something of the ilk) the game is addicting and very well made. Again, this is purely my opinion.

Drake Sigar
28-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Heavy Rain. I was so annoyed when it was announced as a PS3 exclusive.

Kodeen
28-10-2011, 04:51 PM

They would benefit much more from a PC control scheme, however.

icemann
28-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Or a gamepad connected to a PC

Ghil
28-10-2011, 06:47 PM

That's true. I don't know how it would play, but it'd definitely be better than with a Gamecube/Wii controller.

Kaira-
28-10-2011, 06:53 PM

Dark Souls is a horrible thing - it takes the console RPG experience (irritating sparse savepoints, loads of repetition) and tries to 'grow it up' by making it hard and complicated with an end result that's ugly (in looks, content, gameplay - the lot).

PC Gamers might buy into the bewildering complexity of the thing - perhaps - but there would still be a LOT of wailing about the frankly fucking awful implementation and the way it just LOVES wasting your time.

Ugly? In looks? What are you on? It looks magnificent, especially because of the art-style. Endless repetition? I take it you haven't really played the game, it requires no repetition unless you want absolutely everything. If you mean repetition because of dying - learn from your mistakes. The game isn't hard once you learn the enemies, but that's the thing - what you don't know will and can kill you unless you are careful. The game doesn't waste your time - you do by doing mistakes and being careless. There's no one else to blame for dying than yourself. If you don't know your enemy, two tips - keep your shield up, and keep moving. And yes, the game is "hard work" - it doesn't just throw rewards at you like most current RPGs, it rewards you if you are good enough to claim it for yourself. This goes a long way - it explains just enough for you to survive, everything else you must find out for yourself. </rant>

Nullkigan
28-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Ugly? In looks? What are you on? It looks magnificent, especially because of the art-style. Endless repetition? I take it you haven't really played the game, it requires no repetition unless you want absolutely everything. If you mean repetition because of dying - learn from your mistakes. The game isn't hard once you learn the enemies, but that's the thing - what you don't know will and can kill you unless you are careful. The game doesn't waste your time - you do by doing mistakes and being careless. There's no one else to blame for dying than yourself. If you don't know your enemy, two tips - keep your shield up, and keep moving. And yes, the game is "hard work" - it doesn't just throw rewards at you like most current RPGs, it rewards you if you are good enough to claim it for yourself. This goes a long way - it explains just enough for you to survive, everything else you must find out for yourself. </rant>

I was going to rant at the guy too, before I realised he'd already made up his mind so it doesn't matter. It's a skill based game, not a stat-based one. This seems to be his biggest point of confusion, espeically as people are calling it an RPG. In D&D games, that house cat can kill your wizard not matter how well you play, in Souls you can dodge infinitely.

The only sensible point made is that the game is ugly looking. The environmental shaders are excessive and the lighting model generally poor (even if by design), the frame rates plummet in areas (try standing beneath the crow in Firelink), and the texture work is regularly atrocious (example: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/fatty_mc_fatso.jpg/265155690/fatty_mc_fatso.jpg ). It looks good at couch-distance, but up close you really do notice flaws. I'd expect a HD patch (possibly even from the community) on a PC port.

-

Games I'd want:
Ace Combat (before it turned into HAWX with choppers)
Armored Core
Valkyrie Chronicles (inc sequels)
Front Mission (non-shooter ones!)

So Jets, Giant Robots and Strategy. Once staples of the PC :(

Reinhardt
28-10-2011, 08:16 PM

Loved Dark Souls, slow combat and all. Had never heard of Blade of Darkness but after watching a gameplay video I'm very interested! You're right about the combat. It seems more polished and involved.

trjp
29-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Ugly is obviously a personal take but I thought the game looked nasty - it reminded me of how PC games looked just after they went through the 'shiny 3D' phase, it has the feel of a 3D Demo sequence - but horses for courses...

To clear up the repetition thing, I didn't mean content, I meant that every time you die (and this will happen a lot, esp to new players) the game revels in sending you back to redo a chunk of stuff. It's not even like you gain XP this way - it's just time wasting.

I really, really don't think PC gamers/RPG players would put up with it's hardcore (read that as hard work and time wasting) approach - nor do I think it brings anything new to the table (other than the aforesaid hard work)??

It's clearly a marmite thing but what does it offer that you think PC gamers would swoon for? I know they'd not tolerate the graphics (up close on a monitor is diff. too afar on a TV screen) or the 'roguealike' save system (the 360 version also lost my save after 5 hours which didn't enamour it to me) - the combat isn't really 'new' on PC - what is it that it does which you think the PC world needs to see??

For me, it's a console game through and through - that's not an insult I just think some games only work in some arenas...

squirrel
29-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Any news that Sega's Vanquish will be ported to PC? This Thrid Person Shooter may not be played well on mouse+keyboard, but that's not a problem. I will definitely buy a gamepad to try it out if it comes to PC.

Rii
29-10-2011, 03:43 PM

I don't think the Metroid Prime games would benefit from mouse/keyboard control. The faster controls would compromise both the feeling of actually being Samus in a suit of armour (one of the series' most understated yet laudable achievements I think) and also weaken the slow/exploratory/contemplative atmosphere of the games. And of course with MP3 there's all the motion control stuff, which is at worst inoffensive and at best (the nunchuk-as-grapple-beam thing) actually pretty fun.

Reinhardt
29-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Okay, I went ahead and ordered Blade of Darkness. It had better be at least as fun as Dark Souls!

Wizardry
29-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Okay, I went ahead and ordered Blade of Darkness. It had better be at least as fun as Dark Souls!
It's better.

Axyl
30-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Castle Crashers. I've wanted to play that game for ages. :(

Wulf
01-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Surprised to see hate for Skylanders. Unsurprised to see it's by Unrav, see we seem to be polar opposites in tastes.

See, despite it being an action game, Skylanders is by a dev team I have so much love for. Let me drop three little words and see if they ring any bells: Toys for Bob. No? Then I'll drop two more and a numeral: Star Control II. That's right, those guys. Those same guys. Skylanders was their brainchild, and it's a beautiful thing. It possesses much of the charm, humour, and sometimes bizarreness that Star Control II had. It's aimed at a younger audience, obviously, but it's still a great bit of entertainment.

Besides, Spyro was something you either played as a young one or with the young ones. Skylanders is no different, and it's equally as good as Insomniac's first and third Spyro games. And though I might get some flak for it, I'd actually say it's even better. The Spyro games were riddled with design problems even in their best moments, Skylanders is a much better affair, mechanically.

So me? I dig Skylanders. I dig Toys for Bob, so not a big surprise, really.

--- EDIT ---

To write a bit more about it, hrm... how to describe it? It's like if you took Gauntlet and crossed it with an RPG. It's got a story, characters, it's fun, but it's not a Diablo game. It's much more light than that. It's very strong in the environments area, too. Very pretty. But it's definitely more Gauntlet than Diablo. They roll out some really fun enemies, though. I'm particularly fond of the troll tanks.

But yeah, if you get the difference between Gauntlet and Diablo, you might see what I'm getting at, here. It's... not so grindy, it's not about the phat loots. It's about exploration, questing, and rewards through questing. It's a bit different, but it works.

Althea
01-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Surprised to see hate for Skylanders. Unsurprised to see it's by Unrav, see we seem to be polar opposites in tastes.
And where did I say I hated it? I said it was different. Your own post confirms that.

Nullkigan
01-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Let me drop three little words and see if they ring any bells: Toys for Bob. No? Then I'll drop two more and a numeral: Star Control II. That's right, those guys. Those same guys.

Blind brand loyalty is stupid and raising it as a reason anyone should give something a second chance does you no credit. Even if you don't allow for the fact that a huge proportion of the team on a given game tends to move on to something else afterwards, there's no reason at all to assume past performance is indicative of future behaviour. There's one exception: Bioware. With them you can at least predict their usage of the same half dozen little (dumb) plot elements every time. This is not a good thing, and even they only have a handful of data points to use.

Though it's nice that you like something.

(posting this because invoking brands is, in my mind, about two steps from platform wars and- NO YOU ALL SHUT UP AND JUST PLAY SOMETHING YOU ENJOY DAMNIT)

Smashbox
02-11-2011, 03:55 AM
Trenched! (a.k.a. Iron Brigade) Tim Schafer's new joint.

Reinhardt
02-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Even if you don't allow for the fact that a huge proportion of the team on a given game tends to move on to something else afterwards, there's no reason at all to assume past performance is indicative of future behaviour.

Really? Isn't this basically the idea behind science? We collect as much data as we can on a subject and form a hypothesis based on what we've observed over time.

A team that has consistently created games you enjoy is much more likely to create something you'll like than a team that has created something you hate.

I mean, right?

You're correct in saying that most members of the team will move on afterward, though, so that would definitely be a reason to lower your confidence level.

Nullkigan
02-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Games developers do not produce enough datapoints to stand up to scientific rigour, and are far from the sort of controlled/regular/straightforward environment where you can safely make the sort of assumptions needed to reach valid conclsions. Possible exceptions: Popcap, Zynga, et al (I don't play any of their games or even keep track of their releases so I have no idea, but I imagine the vast majority of their games don't have much in common with each other).

Furthermore, the use of empirical evidence like that implies that you are constantly retesting your theories with each new batch of data points. Even if you had a series of two dozen 10/10 releases in the same series by the same team with little variation in content between them, this does NOT mean that the next one will be 10/10. The best you can say is that it is more probable than normal. Which is not something worth banking on, especially as games are a matter of personal taste.