PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3 - anyone have a seamless install experience?

Citruspunch
26-10-2011, 05:54 PM
THREE. HOURS....

... FROM DISC!

and then no MP available.

Giaddon
26-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I did. I preloaded, then launched it when it unlocked in the US (midnight the 24th). I've been playing it ever since, it's quite a thing.

Smashbox
26-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah, no problems here... Preloaded on Sunday, installed Monday, unlocked Tuesday (then updated browser plugin and video drivers). Didn't take that long.

For some reason the step of updating the browser plugin made me angry, but then I realized I was being a dumbass.

JayTee
26-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Had to kick Origin a few times to get it to install, kept insisting that I didn't have enough space free on the drive I selected. Evidently in Origin maths 700 < 11.

Figured it was probably poking my C drive, which doesn't have enough space by design. Gotta love the assumption that C is the drive everything gets thrown onto.

Jeremy
26-10-2011, 09:40 PM
I also had a seamless experience. From purchase to first match, it was about 30 minutes (only because the patch downloaded at horrid speeds).

db1331
26-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Put me in the camp that pre-loaded and had no issues. The game is amazing. It auto-configured itself to Ultra and runs at 1920x1200, smooth as butter. I was nearly killed a couple times when I stopped to admire the scenery. And the hit detection is spot on too. MW3 isn't even going to be in the same league as this.

Vandelay
26-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Anyone else installed from disc? My purchase was from Amazon and I don't particular want to be hanging around for 3 hours too.

Of course, you would expect the install to be longer from disc compared to a game that has been downloaded, but it does seem a little excessive.

Jeremy
26-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Vandelay, I installed it from disc.. it was quick. The disc took about 10 minutes to install (wasn't really paying attention though, give or take 5 minutes.) but the patch was the slowest part. 450MB patch, which isn't all that big, but the server or my connection was not doing so hot.

airtekh
27-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Just out of curiosity, how big is the download for the digital version of Battlefield 3?

The Innocent
27-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Hm, my install went perfectly.

Gameplay since then... not so much. I've had incredibly bad luck with server stability.

Smashbox
27-10-2011, 01:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, how big is the download for the digital version of Battlefield 3?

Ten-point-something gigs.

jp0249107
27-10-2011, 02:48 AM
Perfect install for me too, but I'm running into server and stability issues. I had to restart my computer to get the game to quit crashing before loading a level and every time I start a new server I have to Alt+Enter to keep the window from flashing in and out of fullscreen. Then I have to put it at 640x480 fullscreen, then switch it to 1600x900 (my native) to keep it from flashing when I put it at fullscreen....sigh....I've had worse launch days though. RO2 still ranks up there with crappy latency and an awful community. Oh yeah and servers are VERY unstable.

Item!
27-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Yes.

I know that probably doesn't make you feel better, but the whole BF3 experience has been butter for me.

Lightbulb
27-10-2011, 09:14 AM
What speed disk drive? What speed hard disk?

Do you have one of those "I scan everything you install" virus/malware/etc scanners?

Could you use the cd key to get it from online?

---

Sounds more like a PC problem than a problem with the game.

Schaulustiger
27-10-2011, 09:25 AM
BF3 installed just fine and the EA download servers would allow me to max out my connection. Activation and server search went smoothly and the multiplayer mode is an absolute blast... or it was, until it crashed with a simple "BF3.exe has stopped working". And then again. And again. I can play for about 10-15 minutes without any problem and then - zap - it crashes.
From looking at the official forums it seems I'm not the only one with this particular problem and it seems to be especially common on PCs with a GTX560Ti or GTX570. I tried several tweaks and even underclocked the GPU but to no prevail. I'm hoping for either Nvidia or DICE to find a solution but I fear the problem is not that widespread to cause a huge uprising.

Meh.

Item!
27-10-2011, 09:39 AM
From looking at the official forums it seems I'm not the only one with this particular problem and it seems to be especially common on PCs with a GTX560Ti or GTX570..

FWIW I am running SLI GTX570s, both OC'd and with an OC'd GPU and mine has been rock solid - latest drives as of a few days ago.

Christian
27-10-2011, 01:02 PM
[...]
From looking at the official forums it seems I'm not the only one with this particular problem and it seems to be especially common on PCs with a GTX560Ti or GTX570. I tried several tweaks and even underclocked the GPU but to no prevail. I'm hoping for either Nvidia or DICE to find a solution but I fear the problem is not that widespread to cause a huge uprising.

Meh.

I had the exact same problem with a Gigabyte 560ti OC. Until I updated the BIOS of the card yesterday. since then: Smooth playing, no crashes.
So maybe you want to look into that, maybe there's a new version for your card? Worth a try.

But regarding installing:
pre-ordered on saturday, pre-loaded with 1,5 MB/s, installed, unlocked on Monday and played (except for the crashes that is).

EA are doing a terrible job with communication right now it seems..

p.s.:
The forums are a mess right now, and it's funny to see the solutions some people are suggesting. I'm waiting that someone finally suggests to sacrifice a chicken and dance around naked, because that helped for his game not crashing anymore..

Schaulustiger
27-10-2011, 01:29 PM
I had the exact same problem with a Gigabyte 560ti OC. Until I updated the BIOS of the card yesterday. since then: Smooth playing, no crashes.
So maybe you want to look into that, maybe there's a new version for your card? Worth a try.

My graphics card is from ASUS and I already installed their latest BIOS update, it didn't help. I have tried every reasonable solution, but had no success so far.

Christian
27-10-2011, 01:32 PM
My graphics card is from ASUS and I already installed their latest BIOS update, it didn't help. I have tried every reasonable solution, but had no success so far.

What a shame.

Heh, I just noticed: funny thing. We seem to be living in the same city and there we are, discussing on an english forum. Hey neighbor!

rtk79
27-10-2011, 01:46 PM
First time poster here, hello. My experience with this : preloading worked well, used the ip trick to start the game, all was well. Except I started getting more frequent crashes as time went by (mostly on startup loading screens). I tried the new "repair install" function in Origin, which made matters much worse. As it happens, said repair had changed the .exe file name, making it unuseable. Manually renaming that file was enough to fix my installation problems. Don't know about the crashes yet.

airtekh
27-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Ten-point-something gigs.

Hmm. Smaller than I thought. Thanks.