PDA

View Full Version : Games changing names on Steam?

thegooseking
26-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I was going to put this in Tech Help, but since I don't actually need help, having already fixed it, I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this, so I'll put it here.

See, I noticed that Oblivion was missing from my Steam library. Fearing that I may have become a victim of that "it'll never happen" revoked access, I set about trying to figure out if I actually did still own it. So I went to the store page for Oblivion, and sure enough it said "You already own this game" and had a nice shiny 'Play Now' button. I clicked that, and I was playing Oblivion. Ok, good.

I quit and went back to my library. The game was still not there. I went from detail view to list view; no joy. I went to grid view - Aha! Oblivion showed up! Great! I went back to detail view. Again, Oblivion was gone. I tried searching for 'Oblivion' and 'Elder' but no joy. So I started checking my filters. I was already looking at 'All Games' (and, since I had managed to play Oblivion by clicking on 'Play Now' from the store page, it should have been in 'Installed' as well). No Oblivion there. Then I changed the filter to 'Recently Played'...

That's odd. Oblivion should be there, since I just played it. So maybe it's not showing up in my library. More odd, though, is that it says I played Defense Grid: The Awakening today. I don't remember that... I double-clicked Defense Grid, and sure enough, the loading options screen for Oblivion popped up. I looked at my library again, and noticed I had two entries for Defense Grid, one of which was, apparently, secretly Oblivion.

I'm pretty sure I never changed Oblivion's name to 'Defense Grid: The Awakening' (I haven't been that drunk in a long time), but somehow it did change.

Anyone else ever had this happen? Anyone have any idea how it could happen?

Heliocentric
26-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Delete the client.blob file... Funky bug though.

sinomatic
26-10-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm really not trying to be patronising here, but you are looking under 'E' in the list of games for it, aren't you?

(I say this because I couldn't find myself for a bit until I realised where they'd put it in the list).

thegooseking
26-10-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm really not trying to be patronising here, but you are looking under 'E' in the list of games for it, aren't you?

(I say this because I couldn't find myself for a bit until I realised where they'd put it in the list).

I looked under E (for 'Elder'), T (for 'The') and O (for 'Oblivion'). And it turned out if was under D (for 'Defense Grid') because it was no longer called by its proper name.

But even if I had been looking in the wrong place, I also used the library search function for both 'Elder' (which turned up Morrowind, but not Oblivion) and 'Oblivion' (which turned up nothing).

In neither case did I search for 'Scrolls', because I didn't want to upset Mojang.

Heliocentric
26-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Tldr is it?

sinomatic
26-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit out of it today and misread. Ignore me.

That is a pretty weird bug though.

TailSwallower
27-10-2011, 01:44 AM
I'm pretty sure I never changed Oblivion's name to 'Defense Grid: The Awakening' (I haven't been that drunk in a long time), but somehow it did change.

Tangentially related, but how does one change the name of one's titles in Steam? It's really annoying me that the Dawn of War games don't list themselves chronologically with the default Steam naming, so I want to rejig things.

trjp
27-10-2011, 01:52 AM
It must be possible because there's someone in my Friends list who keeps coming up with allsorts of random things

"Fred Flintstone is now playing Outrun 2193 1/2"

etc.

TailSwallower
27-10-2011, 02:13 AM
I've tried Googling and the only thing I found was changing the name of non-Steam games. I've tried right-clicking on games and looking through the options that come up, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps there's a config file you can tweak, but if that's the case I've got no idea where or how.