PDA

View Full Version : Do you play games on your laptop - if so, what it is?

trjp
26-10-2011, 10:09 PM
I ask this because it's the time of year when people ask me about laptops which can play "some games" and I'm out-of-touch with laptop GPUs and the general demands of modern games.

I'm not talking about playing CoD or Batman:AC, at least not at high-settings, but the ability to play things like Orcs Must Die, Dungeon Defenders and some older action stuff.

I realise that most laptops include some Intel tat and that apart from being 'less than technically impressive' a major issue is the woeful driver support which ensures not much works on it properly (unless that's changed recently?)

Budget here is 600 max so no Alienwares or XPS's or Rocks are going to fit for sure!?

pakoito
26-10-2011, 10:15 PM
13" inches
Celeron 723 (1.2GHz)
3GB Ram
GMA 4500MHD

Warcraft 3 works like a charm!

McChubs
26-10-2011, 11:02 PM
I spent 450ish on a Dell (I know), and it's serving me well... nothing I've played so far has run awfully (though Fallout New Vegas is set to low-middle graphics settings). Silent Hunter 4 runs like a treat, Dragon Age: Origins also runs alright (on low-middle again). Soooo...for 600 you'd probably get a bit of a decent one, seeing as this'un is passable for some modern games.

trjp
27-10-2011, 12:06 AM
I spent 450ish on a Dell (I know), and it's serving me well... nothing I've played so far has run awfully (though Fallout New Vegas is set to low-middle graphics settings). Silent Hunter 4 runs like a treat, Dragon Age: Origins also runs alright (on low-middle again). Soooo...for 600 you'd probably get a bit of a decent one, seeing as this'un is passable for some modern games.

Do you know which CPU/GPU your Dell has - or just it's model number and I'll find out!

McChubs
27-10-2011, 12:25 AM
CPU is an Intel Core i3-2310M, graphics are just some Intel shite...if you splashed out a bit more you'd get a dedicated graphics card. But saying that, it's surprisingly good regardless if it's just an on the road thing rather than a gaming rig.

TailSwallower
27-10-2011, 03:23 AM
This is the laptop I bought a few months ago - Asus K53SV (http://www.asusnotebook.com.au/2661_ASUS-K53SV-Notebook-Intel-Core-i5-2410M-with-Win-7-Home-64bit.php). It's only a dual-core, but otherwise the stats are all quite good for what I paid - got it for $950AUD including 3 year warranty during a sale. So that laptop, without the extended warranty, when on sale should come under your 600 pound budget.

Haven't really been playing many really high-end titles, but it runs Starcraft II, Dawn of War II and Crysis Warhead smoothly at medium-to-high settings. It didn't run Deus Ex: Human Resources very well (that is to say, it ran fine at 1920x1080 but only after I turned all the fancy settings off), but I haven't bothered trying it since they patched all the issues, so chances are it would be more cooperative now.

DickSocrates
27-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I only play on my laptop. Acer 5930g, cost 700 (ish) new, and better models are out now.

Core 2 Duo 2Ghz,
Nvidia GeForce 9600m GT,
3Gb Ram,
Windows 7 32bit,
15" screen, max res 1280*800.

I'm very happy with it, got it about 3 years ago. I can still play all the latest releases at native res without the experience suffering (i.e. medium to max with a decent framerate), but some people are perhaps not willing to put up with no AA, may consider 1280*800 too low and may also demand 60fps in everything. I'm more concerned about something looking ok and smooth. Only failure I had was Saint's Row 2, but that was the game's fault.

I play Arkham Asylum with everything maxed apart from AA being turned off. Still have Anisotropic on at x8; hardly any performance hit and more vital than AA, in my opinion.

The processor is on the edge of being too slow now, which I why I just got a new one, 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, assuming it works as it arrived this morning. Even that would be considered slow/very slow by desktop standards, but it exceeds minimum specs for any new game. Arkham City for example asks for a 2.4Ghz min, 2.5 recommended. I think MW3/Battlefield ask for 2.6Ghz Core 2 Duo. But those games don't interest me. I just want to play games that don't look like ass. And I don't!

I haven't tried Orcs Must Die, but I'd practically guarantee I would have no trouble with it. If I could play GTAIV (admittedly at 12fps in some bad spots, but could definitely be made to run at 30 with shadows off), Crysis, Just Cause 2, Fallout 3, Bioshock, then I think I'd be safe.

So if you consider my 3 year old 700 specs, which weren't even top of the line then, I'm sure you could get something pretty good for 600 that could even handle the big new games. I don't know if the intergrated Intel graphics stuff is ever a good option. It might be, and I would dismiss it outright like some PC enthusiasts do.

adam worth
06-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I have a Toshiba Satellite with a Celeron dual core 2.10 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM. I paid for it about 400 and finished games like Arkham Asylum on it. So I suppose you can get a really nice gaming laptop for 600.
Good luck and let me know what you decide on!

Odeon
06-02-2012, 07:16 PM
This thread is nearly four months old now and the post above that pulled it back up feels a touch on the spammy side to me because of the signature, but I thought I'd throw in my thoughts anyway.

You've probably already picked up what you were looking for, but any time I'm asked for help with determining a "best" laptop, I check the hardware on NotebookCheck.net (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebook-Laptop-Reviews-and-News.48.0.html). They're the closest thing to a laptop/notebook equivalent to Tom's Hardware that I've ever found and their charts, reviews, and other info are pretty comprehensive.

trjp
06-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Hardly a week goes by when someone doesn't ask me about half-decent laptops so I'll take all the tips I can!!

I'm even considering a switch to a laptop myself - given that a decent desktop gaming rig starts at 500+ these days and the amount of 'high end gaming' I do is limited anyway...

Casimir Effect
06-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I spent about 550 on a Dell XPS 15, which was taking advantage of an offer at the time and a small, extra student discount. It has a GeForce GT525M GPU, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Intel i5 2410M @2.30GHz (dual core but can work as 4 I think [it claims this anyway]) and 500GB HDD. 15.6" screen obviously which can do the 1366x768 resolution (I think). Also has an integrated GPU which it will use when the graphics power of the proper card aren't needed so as to save battery.

It's a decent little workhorse and can run FarCry 2 and The Last Remnant (think Unreal 3 engine) on pretty high setting with a good, consistant 30FPS+ framerate. Had a couple of issues with Borderlands but that game isn't well optimized for PC. I imagine it will run most things at pretty high spec, at least I haven't had a problem with it yet.

So unless you want something with a bigger, 17" screen that can handle higher resolutions then I'd recommend this one. There are plenty of upgrade options available but the only one I wish I had gotten is a backlit keyboard.

Odeon
07-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Nice laptop Casimir! And here you are complaining about your desktop crashing... 8-P

It's amazing how the prices of laptops are continually falling, but going through Dell's web site and picking the best available options (not necessarily the best laptop options, just the best ones available on their site) always results in a price tag of about $2500. Many of their hardware options are actually a few steps below top-of-the-line, so if anyone's looking for a real bleeding-edge laptop, tell them to steer clear of Dell. There's better hardware and lower prices directly through the Alienware site, which is kind of odd considering that Dell owns Alienware, but that the fun of the computer business for you.

trjp
08-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Interesting you highlight Borderlands as being troublesome because it's also an Unreal Engine game isn't it??

It's also one of few games I've run on different systems and generally seen OK performance and not too many issues...