PDA

View Full Version : Stronghold 3 - the final days of development?

field_studies
27-10-2011, 01:49 AM
I'm curious if someone with a little behind-the-scenes knowledge of game development can shed some light on something I've been wondering in the wake of the recent Stronghold 3 launch.

When a game is released as buggy and feature-bare as this one, can we make an educated guess as to what's going on behind the scenes at the developer studio or the publisher?

I picture a couple scenarios: one where everyone involved is excited to have met their deadline and is anticipating the release of this new game to a loyal niche fanbase, aware its not a triple-A title and that it might need a minor patch or two, but eagerly expecting its reception. The other scenario has everyone at the developer and publisher knowing they have a debacle in the making on their hands, and watching the clock tick down with trepidation, just bracing themselves.

Zorganist
27-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't have any inside knowledge, but it was delayed a couple of times so it could have been that the publisher just released what they had, knowing it was unfinished, and told Firefly to fix it with patches later.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
27-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Just a little bit ago I made a comment in the Just Cause 3 post where I said "Just Cause 2 is the definition of 'fun video game'"

Unfortunately I think Stronghold 3 is the definition of "boring video game."

It's so boring and full of nothingness that I can't even muster the will to be angry about wasting money on it.

archonsod
27-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Given it's virtually a carbon copy of the first Stronghold I suspect it was more a case of the design being "remake the first game. With better graphics".

Alez
27-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Given it's virtually a carbon copy of the first Stronghold I suspect it was more a case of the design being "remake the first game. With better graphics".

Don't say such silly things. You might trick people into buying this thinking it's like the first but with better graphics. This is not true. It's a carbon copy of crap while the first was awesome pants.

Zorganist
27-10-2011, 05:04 PM
The developer's website has just put up a statement (http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=485&Itemid=1) outlining their post-release support plan, which included, among other things, the following line:

add in refinements and features that didn’t make it into the original release

They appear to have known the game wasn't ready for a release, but someone has decided to go ahead with it anyway. If the patches work, and improve the game significantly enough, I might still buy it later down the line.

field_studies
27-10-2011, 05:13 PM
They appear to have known the game wasn't ready for a release, but someone has decided to go ahead with it anyway. If the patches work, and improve the game significantly enough, I might still buy it later down the line.

I think I might too. I thought it was funny how, in another thread, someone compared this to the initial release of gothic 3... with stronghold, that's two of my very favourite game franchises... why must I love these rickety half-baked games?

So I guess that answers my initial question, coming down on the side of 'they new they were releasing something broken and incomplete'. Though I'm still left wondering what the mood was as the clock ticked down to Tuesday. Stronghold's own message boards are filled with angry posts, petitions, demands for refunds, etc... if they were really expecting that, they must have just been dreading Tuesday.