PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3 Multiplayer thread

Item!
27-10-2011, 06:44 AM
Hands up if you bought BF3 for the single player....anyone...anyone?

No, thought not, me either. In fact I am pretty confident that I will probably never even load it up - I certainly didn't for BC2.

So having had access for the last day or so to the BF3 mp, this is the thread for all things related thus.

A few thoughts:

1) I think I have been fortunate as, not only have I had no issues installing, loading or starting the game, but it has been perfectly stable throughout the 8 or so hours I have put into it and I have had no issue finding and entering multiplayer games.

2) I actually like the server browser! It works well and certainly seems the least buggy and most useful browser DICE have ever launched with. That said, the ping info seems a little off sometimes, but I am sure this will smooth out.

3) Netcode on the whole seems very solid - still get the odd game where I start "rubber-banding" a bit, but given I have been playing on mostly Russian or Eastern European servers and I am based in the Middle East, it has been pretty good.

4) Gameplay itself is pretty chaotic and seems far more brutal than BC2 - bullets and explsives are certainly more lethal and the general level of teamwork is about what you would expect from a newly launch BF game, i.e somewhere between zero and not much. That said, it is a hell of a lot of fun and incredibly intense.

5) Classes? Well the engineer seems very popular and indeed I have played mostly as this class. Trying to get into support now with the C4 and ammo drops...having a little trouble getting lethal with the support class LMGs - they are very hard to use unless you are on the bipod or have the grip (I am assuming as I don't have this yet!) but fun to play. Snipers are still ubiquitous and annoying. Screw you snipers. Yeah, you - I'm talking to you.

6) It looks and sounds incredible. I am playing on a fairly beefy rig - OC'd 2500k, 8Gb and 2x GTX570 in Sli and I have the game running on Ultra with VSync at a solid 60fps. There is a noticable jump in the overall fidelity and fine detail from the demo and the little touches in the lighting, reflections and weather effects really make the game pop.

I would hope that perhaps an RPS server will appear at some point? If so, hope to catch you online.

My BF3 tag is ProsaicMosaic (don't ask)

Grizzly
27-10-2011, 06:57 AM
I will probably buy this game with the money I get for my birthday in February (this or the Witcher 2), and I am looking forward to it, now that I resolved the performance problems with my PC and can run BC2 fine again 0_o.

5) Classes? Well the engineer seems very popular and indeed I have played mostly as this class. Trying to get into support now with the C4 and ammo drops...having a little trouble getting lethal with the support class LMGs - they are very hard to use unless you are on the bipod or have the grip (I am assuming as I don't have this yet!) but fun to play. Snipers are still ubiquitous and annoying. Screw you snipers. Yeah, you - I'm talking to you.

Bwegh - Snipers are the most annoying people in existence. Not because they can pick you off at any distance, but becasue that there are so many people sitting back and doing snipy stuff whilst they should be closer to the frontlines and throwing motion sensors. And be spotting... You know, using the recon class for recon. By the way, can you give the Recon a close quarters combat weapon?

Item!
27-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Bwegh - Snipers are the most annoying people in existence. Not because they can pick you off at any distance, but becasue that there are so many people sitting back and doing snipy stuff whilst they should be closer to the frontlines and throwing motion sensors. And be spotting... You know, using the recon class for recon. By the way, can you give the Recon a close quarters combat weapon?

They sure are. I do like the scope glint effect, which seems to have been toned down since beta, but still gives you a fighting chance at spotting the buggers across the map.

That said, the ability to go prone, although mostly welcome, makes it pretty difficult to hit them.

Not sure about the sniper kit, but I have been shot with a seemingly large variety of different guns weilded by various snipers, so I think you can equip effective close range weapons.

Kadayi
27-10-2011, 08:01 AM
IAnd be spotting... You know, using the recon class for recon. By the way, can you give the Recon a close quarters combat weapon?

You're able to assign them other primary weapons beyond snipers iirc.

Jockie
27-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Similarly to BC2 all classes have weapons specific to them, but there are general weapons that can be used by any class. The first you get is a shotgun at rank 1, then a PP7 at rank 7 or so. I prefer playing a close quarters recon, Can't stand sniper stalemates.

Spider Jerusalem
27-10-2011, 09:09 AM
battlelog can fuck right off until it lets me limit my searches by ping.

even mount and blade's server browser has that shit.

WitchfinderG
27-10-2011, 09:54 AM
love it, so much action. nuff said

Gravy
27-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I've really enjoyed it so far. I love all the unlocks, its a bit addictive in a WoW kind of fashion. Oh if I just play a bit longer I get a silencer for my m416...

My minor niggles are the chopper/jets controls seem a little less tight than in BC2, parachutes now seem to deploy rather late and can't be used to jump off buildings - which is realistic but annoying when you just want to get down somewhere quick.

I installed the new nvidia patch and sometimes get issues when going from the game loading screen into the game itself, I end up with the top 3rd of the screen with a black horizon on it forcing a quit/reload or play on with just 2/3rds

Other than that its great, the action can be amazing especially on the night map where you see tracers flying everywhere - Huge firefights are a sight to behold.

Christian
27-10-2011, 01:08 PM
battlelog can fuck right off until it lets me limit my searches by ping.

Yeah, that is a bit strange. Although it did a good job in pre-filtering and showing me only servers with acceptable pings so far, so no complaint there.

Apart from that, I really like the idea. Yeah, I think I like Battlelog. Much better than some half-ass server-browser built into the game. So much more overview, so much space and functionality. Being able to use multiple tabs is nice as well.

I think people will get used to it and most won't want to look back.

To the game itself:
Wow, it's intense. And lot's of space to sneak around and flank people. Confusingly large maps, lots of places to hide. And fucking snipers. Always them snipers. Cowards, all of them.

Talking about snipers: Are there really motion sensors in BF3?

Kadayi
27-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Apart from that, I really like the idea. Yeah, I think I like Battlelog. Much better than some half-ass server-browser built into the game. So much more overview, so much space and functionality. Being able to use multiple tabs is nice as well.

Yeah, during the beta I was like server browser seriously? But after a day or so BF3 utilizing your web browser makes a lot of sense given how much more optimised they are, plus being able to have loads of tabs open is great.

Wow, it's intense. And lot's of space to sneak around and flank people. Confusingly large maps, lots of places to hide. And fucking snipers. Always them snipers. Cowards, all of them.

*readies knife*

Smashbox
27-10-2011, 05:52 PM
I've been having a blast so far - seems very stable and netcode is the bee's knees. I wish I could filter by max players, though, so I can conveniently play a large game. My process is:

Refresh list
quickly click sort by number of players twice in order to see all 64-player servers at the top
scroll down to the ONE server on the list with a 64 player cap but that isn't full
click join server and find out that it's full.
repeat.

Seriously, there must be an easier way to join an active 64-player server. What am I doing wrong?

The JG Man
27-10-2011, 06:11 PM
By the way, can you give the Recon a close quarters combat weapon?

It's not made abundantly clear, and you may already know this, but if you go into the kit select screen, you can unequip the stock scope for all sniper rifles, even the bolt action ones. This allows you to look down the iron sights. With the starter rifle, it's 3 shots to kill. Seeing as you have to use your iron sight, you have to get closer into the action, but you can still use your distance advantage. It's what I did for a lot of the time in the alpha.

I cannot wait to join you guys, but I won't be free to play for about another week and a few days :(

metalangel
27-10-2011, 06:39 PM
It's not made abundantly clear, and you may already know this, but if you go into the kit select screen, you can unequip the stock scope for all sniper rifles, even the bolt action ones. This allows you to look down the iron sights. With the starter rifle, it's 3 shots to kill. Seeing as you have to use your iron sight, you have to get closer into the action, but you can still use your distance advantage. It's what I did for a lot of the time in the alpha.

Oooooooooh. I don't have or intend to get BF3, but that's an option that needs to be in more games. In CoD3 I got quite good with the Kar98 (which was the slowest firing non-scoped weapon in the game by a very long way) and wished more games gave me that experience. BC2 had stuff like the G3 but you still fired fast fast fast to get multiple shots in, the Kar98 you had to kill with your first or definitely your second or else.

Giaddon
27-10-2011, 06:53 PM
I've been having a blast so far - seems very stable and netcode is the bee's knees. I wish I could filter by max players, though, so I can conveniently play a large game.

You can tell it to only show you games with 1-5 openings (at the top of the middle column of the filter table, I think.)

Smashbox
27-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I just wish there were a button for "disregard games with fewer than 64 slots"

Spider Jerusalem
27-10-2011, 07:07 PM
I just wish there were a button for "disregard games with fewer than 64 slots"
this is another reason it can fuck right off. not being able to search for a specific slot number is :psyduck:

Giaddon
27-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Try the "Conquest Large" option on the left?

Smashbox
27-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Still comes up with 32 player games for some reason... No matter - it is still possible to find the games you want. And probably unfair to skip the game over server browser concerns. The browser is adequate, and fast, and will presumably be easy to upgrade, as it's a website.

There are so many unlocks in this game, I've barely made a dent in the 5-or-so hours I've been at the multiplayer.

Also, who thought this campaign was a good idea?

Jeremy
27-10-2011, 10:30 PM
To get better pings or map sizes, you can always do an "order by" on the server list. It's an imperfect system, but it at least allows you to ignore the games you're not interested in.

Bobtree
27-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Browser tip: set up your filters, refresh, then keep scrolling to the bottom until you run out of new servers. I get a LOT more games to show up this way. Either it shows just a few by default, or it's just a very slow refresh (which wouldn't surprise me).

Bobtree
28-10-2011, 12:11 AM
If you want surround sound to work, turn off "enhanced stereo mode." I didn't notice it at first because I use a "speaker fill" option for stereo modes, which sounds a lot like surround, but isn't.

Spider Jerusalem
28-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Still comes up with 32 player games for some reason... No matter - it is still possible to find the games you want. And probably unfair to skip the game over server browser concerns. The browser is adequate, and fast, and will presumably be easy to upgrade, as it's a website.
i hope so. i feel like, at the moment, it's mostly an annoyance and a lost opportunity. instead of adding a lot of functionality that might not be possible with an in-game server browser, they've essentially just popped all the functionality of an in-game browser and added some terrible bookface-alike qualities that don't really aid the primary function (in my personal experience).

this is why i find it annoying. it's no more helpful to me than the bc2 server browser at this point, except it requires extra pointing and clicking.

Christian
28-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Strange..I seem to be nearly the only one having no problem at all with the new system (looking at the Amazon-reviews for example) and Origin (as Origin just keeps sitting in the background doing nothing, except collecting data I guess).
I think it's a welcome refresh and handles quite fine, also because it's quite seamless and lets you kill the waiting time:

1. find a server
2. click join
3. look at stats/do some browsing/play a round of minesweeper
4. once everything is ready to play --> game pops up --> play.

Beats staring at the 'Connecting/Joining/loading'-screen in my book. But they really should work on those loading times. Compared to BC2, this really takes too long.

p.s.:
Also, I must be getting old as this is the first time I'm actually speaking *for* something coming from a big corporation. Normally, I'd be more "this comes from a big publisher, omgwtfbbq, they're evil, this is devil's work!!11!"..

Vandelay
28-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Strange..I seem to be nearly the only one having no problem at all with the new system (looking at the Amazon-reviews for example) and Origin (as Origin just keeps sitting in the background doing nothing, except collecting data I guess).

Remember, people are generally much more likely to post a message if they are having issues than if they are playing with no problems.

I've not had any problem with Origin, nor do I have any real qualms with the Battlelog system. I've said before, I do not understand why they can't have an in-built browser in the game to access it from, but the actual concept is good and they have executed it pretty well too.

Smashbox
28-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah I was ready to give it an F, but its current implementation is probably a solid B+.

Here's hoping for creative, easy-to develop and quick improvements and changes to the web-based system. (and an API if we're really lucky)

siegarettes
29-10-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm really loving the game so far. The Beta put me off from pre-ordering the game, but its been great so far. I myself have been pretty lucky and have not run into many issues. I really like the Support class actually. Setting up a bipod on cover or while prone and suppressing a corridor of enemies is damn satisfying.

I added you on BF as well. My tag is hardpixelrain, look for it.

perafilozof
29-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Here is my YouTube battle channel. Used it for Total War Shogun 2 battles and a movie based on the game. Now its all about BF 3.
http://www.youtube.com/user/perafilozof?feature=mhee

I will start uplolading my battles from Battlefield 3
First video is named: ''I can fly, I can fly...''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3BrP1SjHs4

Flabberghast
29-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Let's talk about platoons? Or rather, let's make a Rock Paper Shotgun platoon in which we all could enjoy digital warfare at it's finest.

Grizzly
29-10-2011, 09:11 AM
There's already one.

Flabberghast
29-10-2011, 11:01 AM
With one member and 2 fans? With an emblem that doesn't depict RPS in any way? With the platoon wall full of only non-english? http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241007594676/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we could do better.

Zyrden
29-10-2011, 11:15 AM
No he means this one http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655240991405978/

Flabberghast
29-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Much better! Thanks!

WitchfinderG
29-10-2011, 07:22 PM
I love joining a big map with air combat, running around with the anti air Stinger and landmines while trying to cap as many points as possible.. you really gather up points fast unless the pilots are really good!

siegarettes
29-10-2011, 09:46 PM
No he means this one http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655240991405978/
Thank you for that. I will join immediately.

Estel
30-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Boo, it's full :(

DarkNoghri
30-10-2011, 03:57 AM
Boo, it's full :(

Jump over to the main thread and yell at them until they make another. Or join the North American platoon, if that's where you're located.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1839-Battlefield-3-Rock-Platoon-Shotgun

perafilozof
30-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Here is a new video of me as an Engineer powning and getting powned. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fxoX6zkzCU

Item!
30-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Well, 15 hours down in multiplayer over the weekend and I am still loving it - starting to find my groove as well.

Still preferring the Support class and doing much better now I have unlocked the mortars and some decent kit for my M249.

Aside from the server browser being oddly coy about showing ping rates for any more than 10-15 servers after a refresh, I have been more and more impressed with Battlelog the more I have used it. The interface is slick, the party mechanics work great and the stats are engaging and seemingly endless.

sabrage
30-10-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm waiting for some ram to come in the mail so I can enjoy this game proper, but... This game has fucking mortars?!??

Nalano
30-10-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm waiting for some ram to come in the mail so I can enjoy this game proper, but... This game has fucking mortars?!??

This game has fucking mortars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKesyy-eajc

Item!
30-10-2011, 10:59 AM
It sure does have fucking mortars.

...though I do think they maybe need a bit more tweaking.

At the moment, they are a little innacurate, a little weak against personnel, good against vehicles and have infinite ammo.

Thus the mortar spam commences!

I think I would rather see them a little more powerful, but with limited rounds - say 5 - that aren't replenished by the ammo pickups.

This would encourage more effective, considered and tactical use of the things without allowing spammage.

That said, I have knocked out a fair few vehicles with them and a direct strike on the opposing teams mortar guy is immensely satisfying.

Hanban
30-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I drive tanks! Feels like a slightly more hectic World of Tanks at times, which I enjoy. At times, though, teammates can be -really- frustrating. Once I was doing a quick fix-up of the tank and my team-mate jumped in, drove off withouth me only to drive onto land-mines and die. Hell is other people.

sabrage
30-10-2011, 11:47 AM
K, when I unlock this thing, I'm going to organize a pure mortar team. Our enemies will look to the horizon, and see nothing but bombshells.

Item!
30-10-2011, 12:00 PM
I drive tanks! Feels like a slightly more hectic World of Tanks at times, which I enjoy. At times, though, teammates can be -really- frustrating. Once I was doing a quick fix-up of the tank and my team-mate jumped in, drove off withouth me only to drive onto land-mines and die. Hell is other people.

I had my best round ever, ever yesterday. I got in a LAV with a squadmate at the start of the match and proceeded to spend nearly the entire 20 minute round in that same vehicle with that same team-mate gunning and repairing.

We tore up the damn place, it was sublime.

Finished 12/3 K/D and with nearly 8000 points on the board (http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/759043/1/) - my first MVP ribbon too.

I know there are plenty of folk out there who would sneer at this score, but I was dead chuffed - me and random player in perfect synergy, raining down death upon our foes and taking flags like sweeties from infants.

Item!
30-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Also; hooah!

squirrel
30-10-2011, 12:37 PM
I cant believe it zako, there are more than 100K players currently online according to bf3stats.com, and for each platform!! To sum up there are more that 350K soldiers online. Such a formidable force.

Item!
30-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Discovery!

You can now actually change your Origin name, and thus your soldier name.

I am now no longer ProsaicMosaic (thank tits) but Item was already taken and they don't let you use special characters, so I am now...1t3m.

squirrel
30-10-2011, 01:09 PM
You can now actually change your Origin name, and thus your soldier name.

Cool, then after being knifed one can change his/her name and denies that it's his/her dog tag?

BTW can one update other personal info, say, email, so that the Origin account becomes transferable?

battles_atlas
30-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Anyone know whether gamepads are supported on the PC? I'm just thinking for flying helos. I reckon I might actually manage to keep one in the air with a pad. What I want is to leave the pad plugged in and have the game auto switch to pad when I get in an aircraft. That would be cool. Anyone know if its possible?

Item!
30-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Cool, then after being knifed one can change his/her name and denies that it's his/her dog tag?

I would imagine the soldier name is just a dynamic text reference to some kind of SID - so sadly, I think your stolen tags will be updated as well...

BTW can one update other personal info, say, email, so that the Origin account becomes transferable?

Surely they would have to allow you to change email - what if your providor or domain name changes or ceases to exist for some reason beyond your control?

It maybe that your logon ID stays as the original email your registered with, but they would *have* to allow for email address changes, no?

Item!
30-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Anyone know whether gamepads are supported on the PC? I'm just thinking for flying helos. I reckon I might actually manage to keep one in the air with a pad. What I want is to leave the pad plugged in and have the game auto switch to pad when I get in an aircraft. That would be cool. Anyone know if its possible?

Not sure!

Will try tonight, as so far my career as a helicopter pilot as been brief and mostly fatal.

squirrel
30-10-2011, 01:31 PM
@Item!

Thanks so much for the info. My Origin account is the old EA account got transferred to the Origin platform, and as I recall I only provided my email as personal info. So even with Origin DRM games are pretty much transferable.

Nalano
30-10-2011, 04:02 PM
and have infinite ammo.

All Support class weapons have infinite ammo. Support classes have infinite bullets and infinite grenades. Why would mortars be any different?

perafilozof
30-10-2011, 04:24 PM
New video, my first battle as an Assault class. Rush on Metro but with a funny bug at the start of the map !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReX4unCK9Sk

Norskov
30-10-2011, 05:18 PM

It's possible with the 360 gamepad, so my guess is others would work as well.

Mac
30-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Given the amount of times i've lost connection (basically i'm fine for the game I join, but following the launch of the next game I last 5-10 mins before being kicked for losing connection) ... I decided to try the SP Campaign. So far so good - the level where you are in a jet has to be one of the best flight sequences i've ever played ... played it 3 times now, just for the take-off :)

Nalano
30-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Pet Peeves on BF3 MP:

[Admin]: Welcome to [Clan] server!
[Admin]: Enjoy your stay!
[Admin]: Add us to your favorites!
[Rube]: wtf hax
[Hacker]: lol
[Rube]: Is an Admin on?
[Rube]: Anybody?

[Sniper1]: Is anybody going to cap the objectives?
[Sniper2]: We're gonna lose if you don't go
[Sniper1]: Doesn't anybody understand how to play?
[Sniper3]: Teamwork, asshats!
[Sniper4]: Someone cap the m-com!
[Support]: I hate you all.
[Sniper2]: suck it up fag

Somehow, if there is one object in four square miles of open terrain that a tank can't just run over, the tank driver will find it, hump it, get stuck on it, and discover the three enemy engineers hiding behind it.

Reinforced concrete bunkers crumble when looked at wrong. Sheet metal shipping containers are invulnerable to everything short of tactical nukes.

Does anybody know how to fly a support helicopter? Anybody? ...Beuller?

Moments that make it worth it:

Getting a tank (http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/1223647/1/278236495/), sniping a support helicopter with the main cannon, walking shots to snipe an enemy tank on the far end of the map, getting out and shooting the asshat who blew up my tank, and then walking back to the tank spawn, capping two flags on the way, to get a fresh tank and repeat it two more times.

Wayward_Ronin
30-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Oh god. I remember struggling at first with BC2 but I eventually got pretty good. But I am rancid at BF3.

I just seem to spawn, start running and then get shot in the back. And when I see someone and open up with a couple of short controlled bursts, the enemy just blinks, turns and blows me away - and then I see in their kill cam that their health is still 90% or something. I'm not sure whether to get back in the saddle or go and weep quietly somewhere.

Still, there are many things to love about BF3. Apart from conquest metro. It's like the Somme with escalators.

Nalano
30-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Still, there are many things to love about BF3. Apart from conquest metro. It's like the Somme with escalators.

Horribly balanced map. Rush to B, then spam nades and rockets down all the escalators until you win. The battle's won in the first thirty seconds, and then it's all over but the fifteen minutes of crying.

Moraven
30-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Sucks getting in the Jet for your first time and being up against a high level Jet player with missles that kill you with one hit. Just kills you before you blow up. You do not have flares till you get 300 points.

Everything else the game is fantastic. Mostly play Engi and Assault right now. Attacking rush revive can be nice to save those points.

Nalano
30-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Sucks getting in the Jet for your first time and being up against a high level Jet player with missles that kill you with one hit. Just kills you before you blow up. You do not have flares till you get 300 points.

Everything else the game is fantastic. Mostly play Engi and Assault right now. Attacking rush revive can be nice to save those points.

So long as you abide by the one rule I have for medics:

KILL THE FUCKER WHO KILLED ME BEFORE YOU REZ ME IN THE LINE OF FIRE

perafilozof
31-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Map Caspian Border, Conquest 64 players. Some cool flying by me and attacking, killing and destroying several different targets on ground and in the air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5URi81iWcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5URi81iWcQ

Nalano
31-10-2011, 06:58 AM
It's remarkable how little the jetfighters' actions seem to affect the situation on the ground. I mean, for them to make a difference you'd need competent close air support supporting competent tankers, at which point competent air superiority makes a difference. And that's a lot of competent flying to ask for in one game.

I mean, looping around attacking targets of opportunity is nice and all, but when I go around in tanks, I'm far more worried about engineers with SMAWs than jetfighters. It really is like you're playing a completely different game than I am.

Item!
31-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I mean, looping around attacking targets of opportunity is nice and all, but when I go around in tanks, I'm far more worried about engineers with SMAWs than jetfighters. It really is like you're playing a completely different game than I am.

Completely agree with this. I like having them in the game as they add to the atmosphere significantly when they scream overhead, but I never feel like they are a threat.

Zyrden
31-10-2011, 10:13 AM
The jets will probably become much more useful against ground targets, once people unlock rocket pods and laser guided missiles.

Jockie
31-10-2011, 10:17 AM
I've played about 20 hours of MP now spending a lot of time as a Tank Driver and I've come up against two pilots who really ruined my day with some fantastic flying and precision bombing runs. The jets are capable of changing the game, but it just seems very rare that you come up against a pilot skilled enough to do so.

Still, one round on the Canals map our team basically had to abandon the tanks as a useful tool because we had no real way of defending against the pilot (our own pilot didn't seem to be up to much). I think I ended up getting pretty irate with Kadayi who was manning my turret bearing the brunt of it, apologies!

Item!
31-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I'd like to thank Jockie for taking the time to kill me in the face a number of times last night.

*shakes fist*

squirrel
31-10-2011, 12:46 PM
I watched some youtube videos on jet playing, and they are... SUPER COOL!! Jets with ground attack capability launch missile to finish off a land vehicle. I started to understand what is the weapon officer on a F-15e Strike Eagle is for (of course, Strike Eagle is not in BF3, not for the time being).

I have to add that jet playing in this game is much much cooler than Ace Combat 5 I've played. And that is a dedicated jet playing game!!

But that also worries me. I heard that you dont start having every weapons / spec. for jet, you have to unlock by kills. I still cannot get into the game. If I am to late into the game, I worry that I will not be able to fight with pilots with AA missiles. Sigh.

db1331
31-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Wow, he was flying like that with a mouse? Even with my dpi turned all the way up, I can barely turn more than 90 degrees without having to pick up my mouse. I need to just buy a cheap joystick.

Anyways, I'm loving the MP. My proudest moment happened yesterday when I sniped someone out of a helicopter. He was in a Little Bird and had me pinned down behind a shipping crate. I pulled up the scope on my SVD and double tapped the cockpit. I killed him, and the chopper almost dropped right on top of me. I didn't even try to run from it. I just took my hand off the keyboard and resigned myself to my fate. It landed directly beside me, then a teammate hopped in it and took off.

Also, my new love in the game is the SKS with iron sights, foregrip, and laser sight. It's not very powerful (takes 2 shots for a headshot sometimes) but it is PINPOINT accurate. I got a 144 marksman headshot on a guy running at a dead sprint through the desert on Op Firestorm. That's pretty good range for no optics.

GothicEmperor
31-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Haven't played enough with yets to even unlock flares, but the controls are manageable with just the keyboard. The flight controls are practically identical to HAWX, so that wasn't hard to learn. Still sucks that you start with just the machine gun; while dogfighting was pretty fun the one time I did it, it's also rather frustrating.Also, the ground attack jets really need someone to spot targets for them, which I don't see often enough yet.

perafilozof
31-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Wow, he was flying like that with a mouse? Even with my dpi turned all the way up, I can barely turn more than 90 degrees without having to pick up my mouse. I need to just buy a cheap joystick.

Yeah with my mouse, I got this Gigabyte M8000 Ghost, can go up to 6000 dpi. But I fly at settings of 2000dpi and to make a full turn and come up behind another jet i have to use the entire length of my mouse-pad. But again against some bad pilots its to easy. Against goods ones i have to move it up to 5000dpi and still they give me a good run from my money before I shoot them down :)

Bodge
31-10-2011, 02:20 PM
huh, i didn't even realise this thread was here. Incase you had missed the thread in the social group forum thing there are RPS platoons up for finding people.

1st Platoon - http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655240991405978/ - is full at moment
2nd Platoon - http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241028883850/

Jump on steam chat or mumble to join us.

Muzza
31-10-2011, 03:19 PM
applied for the second platoon, names Midget-Havoc (muzza was taken)

db1331
31-10-2011, 05:22 PM
huh, i didn't even realise this thread was here. Incase you had missed the thread in the social group forum thing there are RPS platoons up for finding people.

1st Platoon - http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655240991405978/ - is full at moment
2nd Platoon - http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241028883850/

Jump on steam chat or mumble to join us.

Applied for the US platoon since I'm a fat, stupid American.

eRa
31-10-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm playing engineer almost nonstop, on my way to the second Service Star already. Everytime I try another class I see the back of some tank yearning for a RPG or jets and helicopters overhead, it is frustrating :(.

On a sidenote, has anyone figured out how to tone down the bloom/hdr effects and the lens flares? It's positively blinding sometimes.

Smashbox
31-10-2011, 10:44 PM
I think maybe the flashlight is a little overdone. I'd like to see that toned down a hair.

Wayward_Ronin
31-10-2011, 10:51 PM
I groaned when Metro Conquest came up, but I know how to win it now. Get a hacker on one side. 94 kills to 8 deaths. This asshat minced our entire team.

I was enjoying myself tonight too. Sigh.

battles_atlas
31-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Yeah my only real gripe so far is the torch and laser blinding on urban maps. Once everyone has those its going to get a little absurd, a gun battle in a 1970s BeeGees song.

The JG Man
01-11-2011, 03:47 AM
I want to know whose idea it was to start off air vehicles with so poor equipment. The jets are a joke unless you seemingly get lucky, whilst the helicopters appear to have awful controls. I've tried using both the helicopters and jets using KB+M and controller; I could just about get the jets going with the mouse, but I can properly use them with a controller. I cannot fly helicopters at all.

Kinda the same with everything else though. Like all unlock games, the good get better and the not-so-good take longer to become good. Even with the unlocks in 2142, it wasn't this bad. Instead you've got to grind out accessories for primary weapons, kit equipment and so on. It's silly, quite frankly.

The game itself is very fun to play though. Although I was having connection issues and usually whenever I ended up being MVP, I'd disconnect for whatever arbitrary reason. People aren't really playing as a team yet, and the commo rose is essentially useless, but when the game works, it works well. I do have an issue with some of the maps though. Not the best designed...

sabrage
01-11-2011, 06:41 AM
I feel like I'm the only one who really likes the "carrot on a stick" approach to multiplayer. I mean, it's robbed countless hours of my life in League of Legends, and I'm sure I'll lose countless more to BF3.

psyk
01-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Fly the helis with just the keyboard makes it so much easier and I suck at flying.

Ravenger
01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
I can't believe DICE have managed to break controls binding again. It was almost impossible in BC2 to get a decent set of joystick controls working for helicopters - eventually I had to manually edit the config files to get it working.

Now after trying to re-bind the controls for choppers in BF3 I've got it to a state where the roll function won't bind at all. So I can't fly helicopters. It seems the binding system can't cope with deleting binds very well, and it's possible to break binding permanently - at least I've not found a solution. This happened to me in the Beta too, with land vehicle controls.

The inability to rebind Q (Spotting) and E (Enter/Exit) is also very frustrating...

Here's hoping it gets fixed in the next patch.

perafilozof
01-11-2011, 08:36 AM
A video of 11 tactics and 10 tips on jet combat in Battlefield 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syzQMUa2NR4

battles_atlas
01-11-2011, 08:58 AM
The binding issue would explain why I couldn't rebind the map key to my mouse last night. Its becoming a real sore point for me how few games work with mice with extra buttons. Its not like its a new, or complicated, technology.

Bilbo1981
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
The game should be renamed "call of battlefield" I can't believe how lacking in features this game is. As an original battlefield fan I feel robbed this should have been the next big thing but instead is a missed opportunity. I'm not saying the game is bad, its fun but it seems like theyve made it as hard as possible for any kind of organised teamplay. Holding down Q and moving the mouse isn't very accurate (probably works on a gamepad) and not being able to use a map to give objectives is very annoying. I'm still struggling with the squad management, you can't form you own squad unless theres two of you. In battlefield 2 I could form my own squad and invite players as seen fit, also kick people who didn't want to do teamplay. It seems that you get forced into a squad upon arrival and people will just sit in squads doing round playing FFA style rather than leave them to allow people who want to play squad teamplay to do their thing. It should be default to join the game not in a squad.

Also what is the point in platoons? I've joined the RPS one but can't see any ability to squad up with anyone, I don't understand what dice have been doing all this time. Simple features which were in a game released years ago and theyre struggling to add them?

Kadayi
01-11-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm still struggling with the squad management, you can't form you own squad unless there's two of you. In battlefield 2 I could form my own squad and invite players as seen fit, also kick people who didn't want to do teamplay. It seems that you get forced into a squad upon arrival and people will just sit in squads doing round playing FFA style rather than leave them to allow people who want to play squad teamplay to do their thing. It should be default to join the game not in a squad.

As squad leader you can kick people from your squad.

Wengart
01-11-2011, 04:34 PM
It seems that you get forced into a squad upon arrival and people will just sit in squads doing round playing FFA style rather than leave them to allow people who want to play squad teamplay to do their thing. It should be default to join the game not in a squad.

Having people default into no squad would be the single most damaging thing for teamwork Dice could do. Just by allowing people to spawn in on squadmates, even if they are not explicitly working together, creates teamwork. Also much of the game dynamic is based around spawning in on teammates and if you're team did not manually squad up you would almost certainly lose.

Christian
01-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who really likes the "carrot on a stick" approach to multiplayer. I mean, it's robbed countless hours of my life in League of Legends, and I'm sure I'll lose countless more to BF3.

Nope. Kept me doing that "Ohh, it's late..but one more round couldn't hurt..I'm soo close to that next unlock"-thing for too many times during the weekend.

But apart from that:

What's up with hardcode-mode? Minimap on? Spotting on? Come on..that's just not fun.

After playing a fantastic round on a custom-server with both of those disabled, I'm searching for servers with that turned off. It adds so much to the game, you have to be more careful and really look before you shoot..
I never really understood the criticism "shooting at orange triangles and not at enemies"..but after that, normal mode just seems a bit tiring and a bit boring..

Bilbo1981
01-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Kadayi: yes I know this but you can't form a squad if all the other squads are full which they generally are due to players being forced into squads. 90% of squad leaders didn't chose to become that. Also I have no ability to form a squad unless Ive already got another person in my squad which is mental, I should be able to start a squad then invite people, nuts!

Christian: By your definition forcing people together creates teamplay. So by that definition youre working together by simply being on the same team, I'm talking about real teamplay you know working together like a real squad would. Also Battlefield 2 (a far superior and advanced game) didn't force you into squads yet some how it worked amazingly. I think spawning on team mates should be limited to the squad leader, that would encourage people to work together rather than just spawn on the guy in your squad who just camps up in the hills sniping.

Nalano
01-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Mr. Baggins, you can start a party in the webpage they call a server browser with friends and clanmates, and when you join a server as that party, they'll dump you in the same squad.

Yes, in-game commands are inconvenient to use and largely ignored anyway, which begs the question why, if you're so keen on teamwork, you're not using VoIP.

I remember BF2. Specifically, I remember two things about BF2.

1) Seeing four locked groups of 1 to 3 players each, each doing nothing of importance except shooting anybody who tried to get near the vehicles. That didn't strike me as teamplay but the exact opposite.

2) Bitching bitching bitching bitching BITCHBITCHBITCH bitching. Again, ordering folks around and complaining when they don't listen isn't teamplay. It's called being a dick.

You can't force people to do teamwork, it's true, but you can certainly make it very difficult for them to do so if they should ever become inclined, which is what you're asking for. Unless it's a clan game - at which point all elements of fun get thrown out the window - you're likely to discover that the enemy team's just as lacking in cohesion as yours. In only two games was my side ever shut out, and both times were on 64-player conquest maps with horrific bottlenecks like Damavand Peak and Operation Metro.

CrinnyCow
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
@Bilbo:
Teamplay isn't something that should just be expected to happen silently. You need to communicate, find people to play with. Get on ventrillo. I think it would be outrageously difficult to argue Battlefield 3 does not support teamplay. The game is literally centered around working with others to improve your squads performance. DICE can't really do anything about the sniper camping in the hills. They can remove snipers but they will cause many more problems by doing that. Every game will have lone wolf player no matter how the game was designed. The fact that people play the game for themselves is not a sign of bad design on DICE's part, it is just the nature of online gaming.

Citruspunch
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Holding down Q and moving the mouse isn't very accurate

What are you trying to do? Q is for spotting, you look at the thing you want to tag and press Q. Why hold down?

and not being able to use a map to give objectives is very annoying.

yeah, although I've heard voice chat that tells me to go take an objective, so maybe there is a way...

It should be default to join the game not in a squad.

I think being bundled into the 'No Squad' category IS the default.

Although, I think battlefield should look at who else in your friends list/platoon is playing and automatically put you together in a squad. THAT would be handy!

Citruspunch
01-11-2011, 05:33 PM
at least, whenever I go to pick a squad at the start there are always a couple dozen people in the 'No Squad' category.

Wengart
01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Christian: By your definition forcing people together creates teamplay. So by that definition youre working together by simply being on the same team, I'm talking about real teamplay you know working together like a real squad would. Also Battlefield 2 (a far superior and advanced game) didn't force you into squads yet some how it worked amazingly. I think spawning on team mates should be limited to the squad leader, that would encourage people to work together rather than just spawn on the guy in your squad who just camps up in the hills sniping.

Forcing people with abilities that naturally support each other does indeed create greater teamwork than not doing so. The squad systems pushes a smaller number of players together and makes them identifiabley unique thereby creating more intimate teamwork than in the team spectrum. Yes it doesn't always create the same level of teamwork available in an organized group of players who are familiar with each other. However, it increases the amount of teamwork going on across the board, and especially for pub players who go in without any regular squadmates.

The masses get better teamwork while small groups of organized players take a small hit to their ability to organize efficiently. Which I believe could be resolved through some tweaks to the system which wouldn't result in the gutting of the current system, which is able to create teamwork simply through its own existence and as such is invaluable to the majority of pub players.

Citruspunch, by default you are added to an existing squad. In BFBC2 there was an option to be added to an existing squad but the advantages were such that it was stupid not to do so.

The JG Man
01-11-2011, 05:46 PM
What are you trying to do? Q is for spotting, you look at the thing you want to tag and press Q. Why hold down?

Presumably for the commo rose, although that's not exactly functional at the mo.

db1331
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
What's up with hardcode-mode? Minimap on? Spotting on? Come on..that's just not fun.

Hardcore mode is for bad players who can't win a straight up gun fight. In hardcore, whoever shoots first is going to win 90% of the time. You know the guys who hide in a corner and start shooting you in the back when you walk by, but have such terrible aim that you have time to turn, locate, and kill them first? Those are the guys who like playing hardcore.

Nalano
01-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Hardcore mode is for bad players who can't win a straight up gun fight. In hardcore, whoever shoots first is going to win 90% of the time. You know the guys who hide in a corner and start shooting you in the back when you walk by, but have such terrible aim that you have time to turn, locate, and kill them first? Those are the guys who like playing hardcore.

I think he's referring to the fact that, unlike previous BFs, hardcore seems to retain 90% of the HUD of normal. In fact, pretty much everything except painting each tagged opponent bright red.

Wengart
01-11-2011, 05:59 PM

There is normal mode, hardcore lite mode, and hardcore mode.

Hardcore lite mode keeps hud elements that are basic to the structure of the game while increasing lethality. While Hardcore mode removes hud elements until it becomes blatantly stupid and then keeps going.

I mean honestly who thought it would be good idea to remove your ammo count.

db1331
01-11-2011, 06:31 PM
There is normal mode, hardcore lite mode, and hardcore mode.

Hardcore lite mode keeps hud elements that are basic to the structure of the game while increasing lethality. While Hardcore mode removes hud elements until it becomes blatantly stupid and then keeps going.

I mean honestly who thought it would be good idea to remove your ammo count.

Not knowing how much ammo you have is the ultimate in HARDCOREzzXXXzzXXXXXzzzzzzzzz!!!

Muzza
01-11-2011, 07:49 PM
i am so, so bad at flying anything with wings or rotors. Gonna try with the 360 pad and see if i can keep a jet from nose diving into the ground in 30 seconds

Nalano
01-11-2011, 07:57 PM
i am so, so bad at flying anything with wings or rotors. Gonna try with the 360 pad and see if i can keep a jet from nose diving into the ground in 30 seconds

Use keyboard/keyboard. WASD+directional keys.

JayTee
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
I hate the ghetto commo-rose-thing, it's quite quite rubbish
I very much dislike the difficulty of squading up with anyone from your platoon without adding everyone to your friends list
I quite dislike the complexity of being able to call for ammo/health/TO BE REZZED
I quite like battlelog, though it's far from perfect
I very much like the attachment, unlocking and customisation system
I love cake

WitchfinderG
01-11-2011, 08:08 PM
the commo rose is being redone fyi

Wengart
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Not knowing how much ammo you have is the ultimate in HARDCOREzzXXXzzXXXXXzzzzzzzzz!!!

I don't mind not seeing ammo in the magazine, although it is largely pointless, I want to see how much ammo I have left overall.

Nalano
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I hate the ghetto commo-rose-thing, it's quite quite rubbish
I very much dislike the difficulty of squading up with anyone from your platoon without adding everyone to your friends list
I quite dislike the complexity of being able to call for ammo/health/TO BE REZZED
I quite like battlelog, though it's far from perfect
I very much like the attachment, unlocking and customisation system
I love cake

- Nobody responds to it anyway. That said, issue attack and defend commands whenever possible - not because people will necessarily follow them, but because you're essentially passing around free points if they do.
- Truth
- I much prefer rezzing on my squad than being rezzed by a medic. I've been burned more by somebody rezzing me while I'm still in the line of fire of the guy who killed me in the first place than simply not being rezzed at all. Indeed, considering the way the points system makes everybody spam healthpacks, ammopacks and rezzes, I can usually assume that I'm not being healed/resupplied/rezzed at any one moment because (1) it's too dangerous, or (2) there's no medic/support around to help me.
- I'm warming up to the whole "website as game browser" thing
- I hate unlocks. Also: I want a drum from my RPK.
- Fuck cake. Eat pie.

Christian
01-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Re: Hardcore-mode.

Yeah, I get the points you all make about this. And it can be kind of silly with all of the HUD turned off.

Maybe I was just lucky with the server I was on..haven't found one like it again.
It was Conquest on Seine crossing..Everybody was just going after the objectives, very few camping, very dynamic. And it was kind of silent teamwork, because you *had* to watch one anothers backs or you'd just get flanked. And it was still fast action, you just had to be more careful because:
no minimap
no spotting
friendly fire on
and I think it didn't have that 1-hit to kill-setting

So you had to be really careful when sneaking/rushing towards a point. It was actually quite fun having to look who you shoot after just running around on Caspian with my eyes only on the minimap ;)

But I could also imaging that a mode like this could easily turn into a camping/sniping-fest where everybody is just holed in, waiting for the first idiot to walk on to the bridge..

Item!
02-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Is it just me, or do the multiplayer Russian voices all sound like:

Ravenger
02-11-2011, 02:45 PM
If you're using Firefox for Battlelog and are getting performance issues, try turning off Firefox hardware acceleration - it can cause slowdown when you run games with Firefox in the background (Like you have to do in BF3).

http://www.trixya.net/index.php/internet/enable-or-disable-hardware-acceleration-for-graphics-in-firefox

eRa
02-11-2011, 03:32 PM
If you're using Firefox for Battlelog and are getting performance issues, try turning off Firefox hardware acceleration - it can cause slowdown when you run games with Firefox in the background (Like you have to do in BF3).

http://www.trixya.net/index.php/internet/enable-or-disable-hardware-acceleration-for-graphics-in-firefox

The Windows Aero design switches itself off quite frequently when I Alt+Tab between maps saying sth. about full memory.

Those IRV sights are pretty overpowered, they work perfectly fine in full daylight and pretty much negate all camouflage.

psyk
02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
You have a choice to be revived or not, space to accept.

Does the 360 controller work on pc because using that thng to fly is to easy.

Smashbox
02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Does the 360 controller work on pc because using that thng to fly is to easy.

It does - plug-and-play.

db1331
02-11-2011, 07:15 PM
I picked up a Logitech 3D pro joystick the other day, and it was money well spent. It's a big help in jets, but the difference it makes in the choppers is night and day. I went from barely being able to stay in the air with my mouse, to swooping and strafing all over the battlefield. Just being able to twist the joystick left or right to glide the chopper in that direction is amazing.

psyk
02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Cheers Smashbox will have to get that hooked up.

Try with just a keyboard and forget the mouse.

Estel
02-11-2011, 11:56 PM
the commo rose is being redone fyi

You mean:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-18-pc-battlefield-3-camaros-on-day-one

PeteC
03-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Finally getting a handle on this now I've levelled up a bit. I just wish I could get more squad action going. As soon as the game starts my squad mates just scatter to the four winds, never to be seen again unless I spawn on them.

I joined the RPS2 platoon but don't quite understand the point of it. Can someone enlighten me as to what it actually does?

coldvvvave
03-11-2011, 06:35 AM
It does - plug-and-play.

What about the PS3 one? I heard someone made working drivers.

GothicEmperor
03-11-2011, 06:49 AM
- I hate unlocks. Also: I want a drum from my RPK.
Not possible with the RPK-74. Battlefield 3 is one of the games that does that somewhat right.

Nalano
03-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Not possible with the RPK-74. Battlefield 3 is one of the games that does that somewhat right.

Well, hell. You're right. The earlier variant did. That makes an annoying choice: The RPK is a lot easier to control than the PKP - even with foregrip - but may not have the bullets necessary to, say, mow down three people rushing a room.

Kadayi
03-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Finally getting a handle on this now I've levelled up a bit. I just wish I could get more squad action going. As soon as the game starts my squad mates just scatter to the four winds, never to be seen again unless I spawn on them.

Form a squad with some friends and either use the battlelog party VOIP or Mumble/Teamspeak/Ventrillo to get some co-ordinated action going. Good coms is pretty much essential, esp when operating tanks etc, etc.

Bodge
03-11-2011, 11:01 AM
RPS steam chat group is the way forward. The community mumble server is there to be used.

Norskov
03-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Those IRV sights are pretty overpowered, they work perfectly fine in full daylight and pretty much negate all camouflage.

Yeah, I've been playing support with an M249 with the IRNV sight and It's rather OP. Not much to counter it except laser sight.

Ravenger
03-11-2011, 01:11 PM
It seems that control binding is a bit buggy if you delete controls - it's possible to get the control binds into such a state that they won't re-bind at all.

I managed to get my broken joystick binds sorted out by deleting the relevant control bind entries from the settings file. The game then re-generated them and I could bind them again.

Be careful with the settings file, it also contains your single player campaign progress.

Kadayi
04-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I've been playing support with an M249 with the IRNV sight and It's rather OP. Not much to counter it except laser sight.

Well the trade off is you have no zoom on it. Principally it is useful for spotting, and a good tool for locating snipers I find (which your mortar guy can then rain shells on) rather than for direct attack.

Nalano
04-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Well the trade off is you have no zoom on it. Principally it is useful for spotting, and a good tool for locating snipers I find (which your mortar guy can then rain shells on) rather than for direct attack.

Well, support guys are also mortar guys, so he can do both!

Oh man, I still can't believe it took me ten minutes and twenty deaths to realize I could press E to not be rooted in place with my mortar. I can't tell you how much counter-battery fire kicked my ass until I realized I could move.

Kadayi
04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Well, support guys are also mortar guys, so he can do both!

Oh man, I still can't believe it took me ten minutes and twenty deaths to realize I could press E to not be rooted in place with my mortar. I can't tell you how much counter-battery fire kicked my ass until I realized I could move.

TBH it's not obvious (you'd think weapon change would do it). I've suffered the same situation, to the extent where when the control points changed I suicided to free myself. Also, yeah you could spot for yourself technically, but personally my inclination when using the mortar is to be somewhere only an other mortar can get me or discreetly hidden amongst the enemy (as I've done before)

Wengart
04-11-2011, 06:56 PM

The lack of zoom makes it a solid replacement for the reflex sights and makes it more useful for assaulting than it would be with say a 6x or 8x scope.

Nalano
04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
The lack of zoom makes it a solid replacement for the reflex sights and makes it more useful for assaulting than it would be with say a 6x or 8x scope.

Yeah. Long-range scopes on machine-guns means you're firing from the hip for things close to you, which means you're getting your ass shot off by guys with M4s.

or discreetly hidden amongst the enemy (as I've done before)

That whole "refrigerator box with gunport (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xGCucTAiXCA/Scgy_-pLp8I/AAAAAAAAAEc/3I5Xwqegpp0/s1600/fridgebox_fig2.jpg)" aspect of FPSs can be exploited so hardcore.

SirKicksalot
04-11-2011, 07:51 PM
I abandoned the game due to sound cutting off constantly :/ I barely played it.

However I had a good time on Caspian Border, in the gunner seat of a jeep. The driver was following two friendly tanks around and we were moving from flag to flag the whole game. That was fun. The map seems too empty to be fun outside of a vehicle...

Nalano
04-11-2011, 07:57 PM
The map seems too empty to be fun outside of a vehicle...

The center three control points are close to one another, and in terrain that's not particularly vehicle-friendly (too many rock outcroppings to hide an engineer behind). The outer two control points are in areas with lots of buildings to hide in/behind. Easy to stop tank/jeep joyriding through judicious use of landmines and ambushes.

Smashbox
04-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Does this game have the best audio of any 'realistic' game ever, or is it just me?

Nalano
04-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Does this game have the best audio of any 'realistic' game ever, or is it just me?

It ain't just you (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/02/28/war-tapes-the-sounds-of-battlefield-3.aspx).

The JG Man
04-11-2011, 08:51 PM
They've been onto a winner for a bit though. Bad Company 1 had phenomenal sound design.

You know, it's a damn shame BC1 never made it to the PC. Far better campaign; it was open, it was funny, it was enjoyable. The maps were on the whole enjoyable, with the big maps actually being of a fairly decent size. Not the biggest, but perfectly pitched for 24 players. Tons of vehicles. Ridiculously well balanced and so on. Sigh, ahwell.

Smashbox
04-11-2011, 08:52 PM
They need to hang onto that soundman/team. All three of their newest (war) games outclass any other gunshooter.

SirKicksalot
04-11-2011, 09:01 PM
BF3 and Medal of Honor share much of the sound library. The recordings were made in early 2010 IIRC.

BwenGun
05-11-2011, 01:00 AM
There is now a trailer for the Strike at Karkand DLC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TyN_Zjw4l-s

I am looking forward to playing some Infantry only Karkand again. =D Also the return of Conquest Assault as a gamemode makes me rather happy.

Colonel J
06-11-2011, 11:03 AM
After 7 hours I'm still shit at this. Finding I prefer 32 or 48 games to 64, at least with a server full of randoms. Less chaotic and seems to encourage people to get more into squad play...probably only because people have more chance to stay alive for long enough to start cooperating rather than just running about and getting ganked in the first exchange of fire.

Really enjoying it anyway. Seine Crossing with a half decent team is the biggest thrill I've had in MP for a long time.

Heliocentric
06-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Source: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/battlefield-3/Ranks
What the feck? You know what forget it EA.
1. Private First Class: 1,000 (1, 000) XP
870 MCS
2. Private First Class 1 Star: 7,000
(8,000 ) XP SPRNT
3. Private First Class 2 Stars: 10,000
(18,000 ) XP - Woodland Pattern
Camouflage
4. Private First Class 3 Stars: 11,000
(29,000 ) XP - G17C
5. Lance Corporal: 12,000 (41,000 ) XP
AMMO
6. Lance Corporal 1 Star: 13,000
(54,000 ) XP - Ranger Camouflage
7. Lance Corporal 2 Stars: 13,000
(67,000 ) XP PP-2000
8. Lance Corporal 3 Stars: 14,000
(81,000 ) XP FLAK
9. Corporal: 15,000 (96,000 ) XP - Army
Green Camouflage
10. Corporal 1 Star: 15,000 (111 ,000) XP
M9 TACT.
11. Corporal 2 Stars: 19,000 (130,000 ) XP
EXPL
12. Corporal 3 Stars: 20,000 (150,000 ) XP
- Expeditionary Force Camouflage
13. Sergeant: 20,000 (170,000 ) XP -
MP443 TACT.
14. Sergeant 1 Star: 20,000 (190 ,000) XP
- COVR
15. Sergeant 2 Stars: 30,000 (220, 000)
XP - Paratrooper Camouflage
16. Sergeant 3 Stars: 30,000 (250, 000)
XP UMP-45
17. Staff Sergeant: 30,000 (280, 000) XP -
SUPR
18. Staff Sergeant 1 Star: 30,000
(310,000 ) XP - Navy Blue Camouflage
19. Staff Sergeant 2 Stars: 30,000
(340,000 ) XP - G17 C SUPP.
20. Gunnery Sergeant: 30,000 (370, 000)
XP - FRAG
21. Gunnery Sergeant 1 Star: 30,000
(400,000 ) XP - Jungle Pattern
Camouflage
22. Gunnery Sergeant 2 Star: 30,000
(430,000 ) XP - M1014
23. Master Sergeant: 40,000 (470 ,000)
XP - SQD SPRNT
24. Master Sergeant 1 Star: 40,000
(510,000 ) XP - Desert Khaki
Camouflage
25. Master Sergeant 2 Stars: XP - M9
SUPP.
26. First Sergeant: XP - SQD AMMO
27. First Sergeant 1 Star: XP - Urban
Pattern Camouflage
28. First Sergeant 2 Stars: XP - MP 443
SUPP.
29. Master Gunnery Sergeant: XP - SQD
FLAK
30. Master Gunnery Sergeant 1 Star:
XP - G18
31. Master Gunnery Sergeant 2 Stars:
XP - SQD EXPL
32. Sergeant Major: XP - PDW-R
33. Sergeant Major 1 Star: XP - SQD
SUPR
34. Sergeant Major 2 Star: XP - SAIGA
35. Warrant Officer One: XP - SQD COVR
36. Chief Warrant Officer Two: XP - .44
Magnum
37. Chief Warrant Officer Three: XP -
SQD FRAG
38. Chief Warrant Officer Four: XP -
DAO-12
39. Chief Warrant Officer Five: XP -
Veteran Package Camouflage
40. Second Lieutenant: XP - P90
41. First Lieutenant: XP - G18 SUPP.
42. Captain: XP - Spec Ops Black
Camouflage
43. Major: XP - USAS- 12
44. Lt. Colonel: XP - .44 SCOPED
45. Colonel: XP - AS VAL
Assault Kit
1. 0 AS - M16A3 (US) / AK-74M (RU)
2. 4,000 (4,000 ) AS - Defibrillator
3. 7,000 (11,000 ) AS - M320
4. 11,000 (22,000 ) AS - M416
5. 16,000 (38,000 ) AS - M26 MASS
6. 22,000 (60,000 ) AS - AEK-971
7. 29,000 (89,000 ) AS - M16A4
8. 35,000 (124,000 ) AS - F2000
9. 42,000 (166,000 ) AS - AN-94
10. 54,000 (220,000 ) AS - M16A 3 (RU) /
AK-74M (US)
11. 126,000 CS - KH2002 (Co- op)
12. 441,000 CS - G3A 3 (Co-op )
Engineer Kit
1. 0 ES - M4A 1 (US) / AKS-74U (RU)
2. 3,000 (3,000 ) ES - FIM-92 Stinger and
SA-18 IGLA
3. 4,000 (7,000 ) ES - M15 AT Mine
4. 7,000 (14,000 ) ES - SCAR-H
5. 11,000 (25,000 ) ES - EOD Bot
6. 15,000 (40,000 ) ES - M4
7. 18,000 (58,000 ) ES - A-91
8. 24,000 (82,000 ) ES - FGM-148 Javelin
9. 28,000 (110,000 ) ES - G36 C
10. 35,000 (145,000 ) ES - M4A 1 (RU) /
AKS-74U (US)
11. (378,000 ) CS - SG553 (Co- op)
Support Kit
1. 0 SS - M27 IAR (US) / RPK-74M (RU)
2. 4,000 (4,000 ) SS - C4 Explosives
3. 7,000 (11,000 ) SS - M249
4. 12,000 (23,000 ) SS - M18 Claymore
5. 17,000 (40,000 ) SS - M224 Mortar
6. 20,000 (60,000 ) SS - PKP Pecheneg
7. 30,000 (90,000 ) SS - M240B
8. 40,000 (130,000 ) SS - M60E4
9. 40,000 (170,000 ) SS - M27 IAR (RU) /
RPK-74M (US)
Recon Kit
1. 0 RS - MK11 MOD 0 (US) / SVD (RU)
2. 5,000 (5,000 ) RS - T-UGS
3. 8,000 (13,000 ) RS - SV98
4. 13,000 (26,000 ) RS - SOFLAM
5. 19,000 (45,000 ) RS - MAV
6. 26,000 (71,000 ) RS - SKS
7. 33,000 (104,000 ) RS - M40A 5
8. 42,000 (146,000 ) RS - M98B
9. 49,000 (195,000 ) RS - MK11 MOD 0
(RU) / SVD (US)
10. 252,000 CS - M39 EMR (Co-op )
Co-Op Unlocks
1. 63,000 (63,000 ) CS - MP412 REX
2. 63,000 (126,000 ) CS - KH2002
3. 63,000 (189,000 ) CS - MP7
4. 63,000 (252,000 ) CS - M39 EMR
5. 63,000 (315,000 ) CS - 93R
6. 63,000 (378,000 ) CS - SG553
7. 63,000 (441,000 ) CS - G3 A3
MBT
1. 800 (800) VS - IR Smoke
2. 2,100 VS - Coaxial LMG
3. 4,400 VS - Autoloader
4. 7,600 VS - Zoom Optics
5. 12,000 VS - Maintenance
6. 17,700 VS - Coaxial HMG
7. 24,700 VS - Proximity Scan
8. 33,200 VS - Guided Shell
9. 43,200 VS - Thermal Optics
10. 54,800 VS - Thermal Camo
11. 68,100 VS - Canister Shell
12. 83,200 VS - Reactive Armor
13. 100,000 VS - CITV Station
IFV
1. 800 (800) VS - IR Smoke
2. 2,300 VS - ATGM Launcher
3. 4,700 VS - Belt Speed
4. 8,300 VS - Coaxial LMG
5. 13,100 VS - Thermal Optics
6. 19,200 VS - Proximity Scan
7. 26,900 VS - Zoom Optics
8. 36,000 VS - Maintenance
9. 47,000 VS - APFSDS-T Shell
10. 60,000 VS - Thermal Camo
11. 74,000 VS - Guided Missile
12. 90,000 VS - Reactive Armor
Mobile AA
1. 400 (400) VS - IR Smoke
2. 1,200 VS - Anti-Air Missile
3. 2,500 VS - Belt Speed
4. 4,400 VS - Zoom Optics
5. 7,000 VS - Proximity Scan
6. 10,000 VS - Thermal Optics
7. 14,000 VS - Air Radar
8. 19,000 VS - Maintenance
9. 25,000 VS - Thermal Camo
10. 32,000 VS - Reactive Armor
Attack Helicopters
1. 300 (300) VS - IR Flares
2. 800 VS - Heat Seekers
3. 1,600 VS - Stealth
4. 2,800 VS - Autoloader
5. 4,400 VS - Zoom Optics
6. 6,500 VS - Proximity Scan
7. 9,000 VS - Air Radar
8. 12,000 VS - Guided Missile
9. 16,000 VS - Extinguisher
10. 20,000 VS - Maintenance
11. 25,000 VS - Thermal Optics
12. 30,500 VS - Laser Painter
13. 37,000 VS - Below Radar
14. 44,000 VS - ECM Jammer
15. 51,000 VS - Guided Rocket
16. 60,000 VS - TV Missile
Scout Helicopters
1. 400 (400) VS - IR Flares
2. 1,200 VS - Heat Seekers
3. 2,500 VS - Stealth
4. 4,400 VS - Belt Speed
5. 7,000 VS - Proximity Scan
6. 10,000 VS - Air Radar
7. 14,000 VS - Extinguisher
8. 19,000 VS - Maintenance
9. 25,000 VS - Guided Missile
10. 32,000 VS - Below Radar
11. 40,000 VS - Laser Painter
12. 48,000 VS - ECM Jammer
Jets
1. 300 (300) VS - IR Flares
2. 700 VS - Heat Seekers
3. 1,500 VS - Stealth
4. 2,700 VS - Belt Speed
5. 4,200 VS - Proximity Scan
6. 6,200 VS - Rocket Pods
7. 8,600 VS - Air Radar
8. 11,600 VS - Extinguisher
9. 15,000 VS - Below Radar
10. 19,000 VS - Maintenance
11. 24,000 VS - Guided Missile
12. 29,000 VS - Beam Scanning
13. 35,000 VS - ECM Jammer

Nalano
06-11-2011, 04:51 PM
You forgot individual weapon unlocks, like scopes and whatnot.

Vandelay
06-11-2011, 05:04 PM
After 7 hours I'm still shit at this. Finding I prefer 32 or 48 games to 64, at least with a server full of randoms. Less chaotic and seems to encourage people to get more into squad play...probably only because people have more chance to stay alive for long enough to start cooperating rather than just running about and getting ganked in the first exchange of fire.

I find that 32 player Rush mode seems to play best on random servers. Conquest on some of the slightly smaller maps is okay, but the larger ones usually just end up with people running all over the place without any clue as to what they are doing. The fact that Rush seems to funnel people down a few routes seems to make people much more naturally co-operative though. I've had quite a few awesome games on Seine Crossing too, Rush and Conquest mode. Final point in Rush mode on the boat can create some epic battles.

I've just switched away from playing Assault class to Engineer and having a blast. Getting in a tank with someone and hoping out to repair whenever they come under fire can be devastating when done right. I have had a few occasions where I've been with an idiot driver, who keeps rushing off before I can get back in, but I've had numerous top squad awards since switching. The rocket launcher can also be quite fun when people cluster up in maps like Metro (always followed by lots of "RPG noob!" complaining.)

Stevo
06-11-2011, 05:20 PM
BF Conquest imo has always lacked direction. Unless your playing with those online campaigns like 21CW it's always going to be headless chicken running from point A to B then back to A again. I never found that any real "battles" ensued like they would in a game like RO.

Nalano
06-11-2011, 05:33 PM
BF Conquest imo has always lacked direction. Unless your playing with those online campaigns like 21CW it's always going to be headless chicken running from point A to B then back to A again. I never found that any real "battles" ensued like they would in a game like RO.

Only plans worthy of being followed are the ones you set for yourself.

"This round, I'm going to play air superiority and destroy any tanks I see."
"This round, I'm going to take B and stick to the building between B and C (http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-kharg-island/) and cover them both."
"This round, I'm going to cover A so I can out-flank the flankers running towards the killing zone at B (http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-grand-bazaar/)."
"This round, I'm going to use my newly-gotten ATGM for the IFV (http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-noshahr-canals/) to truly wreck somebody's day."

If you're expecting wars with clearly defined front lines, play an tight map with horrible bottlenecks like Operation Metro or Seine Crossing. Personally, however, I hate them, because they tend to get filled with mortars and snipers and it's a rush to see who can get to a point first so that the rest of the game can devolve to basic sector denial.

The JG Man
06-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Sigh.

This is such a fun game, but I want to be able to play it. Either I can't join a server because I get disconnected with one of 3 or 4 different disconnection messages or about 15-20 minutes into a server, I'll get disconnected. I've manually updated punkbuster, can't really think of what else to do. When I'm actually playing it, for the most part it's good fun. I still think the map design is pretty shoddy and the unlock system is absurd, but the actual game part is fine. Maybe a few unbalanced items/weapons, but nothing that can't be patched easily with a few number tweaks.

I just want to be able to play. In one sense, it reminds me of Space Marine - very fun multiplayer, but difficult to actually play the damn thing. When you're able to, it's a fun and unique experience. I'm sure this is the usual BF teething, but it's so damn frustrating.

If anything, it's making me want to go and play 2142. Something about the Titans and real map design, I'm sure. Also, I don't need to unlock any nonsense thanks to my rank...

Winstons
07-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Sigh.

This is such a fun game, but I want to be able to play it. Either I can't join a server because I get disconnected with one of 3 or 4 different disconnection messages or about 15-20 minutes into a server, I'll get disconnected. I've manually updated punkbuster, can't really think of what else to do. When I'm actually playing it, for the most part it's good fun. I still think the map design is pretty shoddy and the unlock system is absurd, but the actual game part is fine. Maybe a few unbalanced items/weapons, but nothing that can't be patched easily with a few number tweaks.

I just want to be able to play. In one sense, it reminds me of Space Marine - very fun multiplayer, but difficult to actually play the damn thing. When you're able to, it's a fun and unique experience. I'm sure this is the usual BF teething, but it's so damn frustrating.

If anything, it's making me want to go and play 2142. Something about the Titans and real map design, I'm sure. Also, I don't need to unlock any nonsense thanks to my rank...

These two fixes may make no difference to you, but - I had this badly during the beta and also on the first day. I looked into two solutions and have enabled both. I'm not sure if either or them has actually worked, or why, but I haven't experienced any of the "Your connection has timed out" errors since I followed these instructions.

http://www.enterbf3.com/topic/3933-connection-timed-out-problem-solved/

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1430676-fix-turning-off-upnp-my-router-solved-my-disconnects.html

clippa
07-11-2011, 12:45 AM
I've applied to join the RPS platoon if whoever's in charge can give me the OK :D

That's me, there, clippa - http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/clippa/stats/173269018/

The JG Man
07-11-2011, 01:06 AM
I've tried the first one Winstons, so we'll see how that helps. I appreciate any help I can get with it, really.

Edit: That seems to have done the trick. Immense thanking in your direction.

The JG Man
08-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Maybe it's me, but I'm having to put a lot of effort in to enjoy this.

There are so many glaring issues, I really don't know where to begin. At the very least, we need more maps that aren't completely garbage. Where are my giant tank arenas? In fact, why do none of the flags in conquest reward you with additional vehicles? I might be able to handle some of the other nonsense if the maps were good.

Edit: You know what, I was rather optimistic after the alpha. The game felt a lot better than Bad Company 2, had a lot going for it. Nope. This is Bad Company 3. I refuse to accept that this is the sequel to BF2/2142.

Nalano
08-11-2011, 12:33 AM
There are so many glaring issues, I really don't know where to begin. At the very least, we need more maps that aren't completely garbage. Where are my giant tank arenas (http://bf3blog.com/operation-firestorm/)? In fact, why do none of the flags in conquest reward you with additional vehicles (http://bf3blog.com/caspian-border/)? I might be able to handle some of the other nonsense if the maps were good.

Fixed for you.

The JG Man
08-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Operation Firestorm isn't open enough for large scale tank battles. Also, 64 players and only 3 MBTs a team? Also, why not have tanks that spawn at those side points to the main three? Gives them some strategic worth.

Also, where DO the vehicles spawn in Caspian? Even so, that'd only be 1, unless others do too and I've completely missed them. I also wish to stress, by spawning vehicles, I mean those that are strategically worth having, ie. IFVs and MBTs. Hell, open up Damavand Peak on CQ by allowing the heli port to be capturable. If you get it, you get an attack chopper, or something.

So few of the flags in CQ actually have strategic worth. They're just there because they need to be.

Firestorm, Caspian and Kharg work, but they need to be more. Why isn't Firestorm that entire basin? Why isn't Caspian more spread out? Why isn't Kharg the entire thing. It's not like it isn't rendered. I find Grand Bazaar is decent too, although the combat tends to be rather circular in that.

I just find myself disappointed. I wasn't even that hyped either. The gameplay is, for the most part, fine. It's just the maps are so tame. Back to Karkand looks like it might fix that, but I really hope the future maps improve drastically.

SirKicksalot
08-11-2011, 01:37 AM
I fixed my sound issues so I managed to play more. I haven't played much, but I already know which ones I'll avoid in the future:
- Operation Metro is bollocks. I think we all figured that out in the beta lol
- Grand Bazaar and Seine Crossing have horrible bottlenecks. Conquest is basically 90 seconds of capturing the nearest flags then everybody enters the meat grinders. I made some mad points as Assault and I admit it's exciting to revive people in the middle of the chaos, but it got old fast.
- Damavand Peak is not quite as bad as the three above. Some interesting stuff can be done with the vehicles there, however it ends up being a wider bottleneck.

I'd gladly swap these four maps for Atacama Desert, Port Valdez and Arica Harbor. At least those are awesome in Rush and work well enough in Conquest. I suspect being part of a clan or playing with friends greatly improves BF3's bad maps, but I'm not that lucky...

Nalano
08-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Also, 64 players and only 3 MBTs a team?

Also, where DO the vehicles spawn in Caspian?

Four tanks a side. Four. Four tanks, two jeeps, one each of attack helicopter, jet fighter and mobile AA.

Points A and E in Caspian Border each spawn a tank and a jeep.

The JG Man
08-11-2011, 02:56 PM
That emphasised do wasn't supposed to be "Prove me wrong lest you're an idiot!", it was me genuinely going "Well where the hell ARE they then?!" so fair enough, proven wrong there. Even so, Caspian has decent map design, but the flags are far too close. That's its problem.

Nalano
08-11-2011, 06:08 PM
That emphasised do wasn't supposed to be "Prove me wrong lest you're an idiot!", it was me genuinely going "Well where the hell ARE they then?!" so fair enough, proven wrong there. Even so, Caspian has decent map design, but the flags are far too close. That's its problem.

If I came across as condescending, I apologize. You get one free apology a year, though, so don't squander it. ;)

I suspect, however, that if the flags were any further away, it'd be too much of a punishment for being on foot.

duff
08-11-2011, 06:13 PM
I suspect, however, that if the flags were any further away, it'd be too much of a punishment for being on foot.

This basically. The maps do a nice enough job of feeling suitably large for the vehicles but give you plenty of cover for infantry fighting. The tanks are great but if you go into the centre of Firestorm or amongst the forested areas of Caspian without infantry support you will get an RPG up your bum. Thats how it should be.

metalangel
08-11-2011, 06:22 PM
It's not helped by letting people jump straight into vehicles. In theory, you can spawn right into a transport helo or amphibious tank and get straight back to supporting your team!

In reality, it means !?!l33tsn1p0r666!?! can spawn straight into that F/A-18 or Apache, and fly it over their chosen destination before bailing out (assuming they don't crash straight into a hill or building withing ten seconds of takeoff)

Nalano
08-11-2011, 06:26 PM
It's not helped by letting people jump straight into vehicles. In theory, you can spawn right into a transport helo or amphibious tank and get straight back to supporting your team!

In reality, it means !?!l33tsn1p0r666!?! can spawn straight into that F/A-18 or Apache, and fly it over their chosen destination before bailing out (assuming they don't crash straight into a hill or building withing ten seconds of takeoff)

That's cut down a bit by the fact that recon gets to plop a little satellite dish that acts as a respawn location, eliminating the need to hijack the helicopter every single fucking time.

Colonel J
08-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Or, worse, at round start you jump a helo ride with the !?!l33tsn1p0r666!?! chappie who then has a go at landing it in the first capture point but instead spins it into the ground at the last minute killing himself and all passengers. And then says nothing about in on chat afterwards and carries on as if nothing had happened.

The JG Man
08-11-2011, 06:42 PM
If I came across as condescending, I apologize. You get one free apology a year, though, so don't squander it. ;)

Ha, thank you. :) It was actually me more worried I was coming off as aggressive, like slamming down the incriminating files on the desk in front of the nervous person who had nothing to do with the crime...I watched Castle earlier, hence this awful analogy.

I imagine you're right there. Sigh, though at the same time, there's nothing wrong with having some flags close together, but when you have big vehicle maps, having them all together just seems a little silly. I don't mind areas of concentrated infantry action, but why not have 2 or 3 points far off that are good for vehicles? Controlling one of these gives you access to more vehicles to make it more worthwhile. Things like that were utilised well in the older BFs, hell, even in Bad Company 1, which is why I'm a little bemused it's not evident here.

That being said, I can well and truly believe the DLC maps, excluding B2K for the moment, will be bigger or more spread out. I'd say though that of the big 3 I've mentioned (Caspian, Firestorm and Kharg) Kharg is the best of openness for tanks and air vehicles, yet remains decent for infantry. Unfortunately, the flag lay-outs are also rather linear. If you could somehow combine those three, you'd probably get an unbelievably awesome map, with great infantry fighting areas, large vehicle arenas and map design that isn't a little disappointing.

For what it's worth, went on a good run with Recon last night. Getting marksman headshots, apart from being satisfying, seems to be one of the few ways to actually get points with the kit. A real shame they've seemingly neutered it. The idea of going spec ops, like I could and did in 2142 with a shorter-range weapon and explosives just isn't possible, so you're stuck to anti-infantry, apart from the SOFLAM which takes a relatively long time to unlock as Recon. Really, the entire unlock system is so skewed. "You need to be good at your kit to get this, but to get this far, you need to be good with your kit." seems to ring true for so many unlocks.

metalangel
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Or, worse, at round start you jump a helo ride with the !?!l33tsn1p0r666!?! chappie who then has a go at landing it in the first capture point but instead spins it into the ground at the last minute killing himself and all passengers. And then says nothing about in on chat afterwards and carries on as if nothing had happened.

My friends and I were having a rollicking good time last night. Our mistake was to be all assault medics, except for me who had ended up as the engineer. We had no ammunition but homed in on a support player who was hiding (we later determined AFK) inside a building. We all clustered around and requested ammunition. When no box was forthcoming, we repeated our requests. He abruptly stood up, forced his way out of our group, outside, saw the enemy tank outside (the reason we wanted ammo) and took off into the treeline.

I also had the quintessential Battlefield experience for the first time in BF3 a few rounds before. I spawned in a transport helicopter, sat on the door gun, and shot at bad men on the ground. A very sharp descent and hard - though not explosive - landing were my first clue that my pilot had reached his destination and, gathering up the little universe that revolved around him, jumped out the door at 500 feet, leaving the rest of us to plummet to an uncertain fate.

Nalano
08-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I imagine you're right there. Sigh, though at the same time, there's nothing wrong with having some flags close together, but when you have big vehicle maps, having them all together just seems a little silly. I don't mind areas of concentrated infantry action, but why not have 2 or 3 points far off that are good for vehicles? Controlling one of these gives you access to more vehicles to make it more worthwhile. Things like that were utilised well in the older BFs, hell, even in Bad Company 1, which is why I'm a little bemused it's not evident here.

Oh, I dunno if it's as stark as all that. Points A and E are further apart than the center three points on Caspian Border and Kharg Island - making hoofing it from A to B a bit of a chore, but B and C tend to be right on top of each other - and the left side of the map (for RU, right side for US) on Operation Firestorm is a bit far to run, and also relatively devoid of cover.

As for kits, I dunno. Vehicles are hard to get in to if you don't know what you're doing, because if you make a mistake you immediately get folks bitching, "if you don't know how to drive get outta the vehicle" and blaming you for the loss. But the four base classes are fairly easy to be effective at the beginning. Well, if you like the sort of gameplay they represent.

I have a buddy who sucks at LMGs. I mean, truly 5:23 K:D sucks. Can't deal with the muzzle climb at all. Doesn't see how you can get the requisite number of kills to unlock the foregrip. Meanwhile, I've used the RPK74 until I unlocked basically everything and got a medal on kills, and I can say that the RPK is, by far, the easiest of the LMGs to use. Suffice it to say, unless he's gonna use the PDWs exclusively, the Support class ain't for him.

And that's alright, 'cuz there's so much else to do, y'know?

vagrant
10-11-2011, 10:30 PM
I want to chime in with JG Man that while I love Battlefield 3, the maps are... well, I don't want to say bad, but there's no true gems. (note: I play Conquest 99% of the time, 32 and 64)

Seine Crossing is a bad map, for sure, and several others have real problems. Every map seems to have at least one area with poor spawn points. The maps that are free of serious problems just aren't that memorable. There's just not many control points that develop interesting combat situations, and the scenery, while well detailed, isn't memorable.

So far the maps are the main complaint I've got on the game. That, and RPGs are almost useless on tanks. Maybe the Javelin is better, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

The JG Man
10-11-2011, 10:49 PM
I was talking to someone else earlier saying that I don't believe BF3 has that Battlefield soul to it. It's a very good open warfare game, but not a Battlefield one. It doesn't make sense, but that's how I feel and I agree entirely vagrant, there are no gems. There is no El Alamein, *insert from BF2*, Shuhia Taiba etc.

Kadayi
11-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Surprised these haven't been posed here already (and if they were I missed the thread). This guy is Boss: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BADJhIXiS4g&list=UU7dlaP4GdMn7kBnsEDKupuQ&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV4LDCgWMdI&list=UU7dlaP4GdMn7kBnsEDKupuQ&index=3&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj_17Uvfwes&list=UU7dlaP4GdMn7kBnsEDKupuQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video

The Pink Ninja
11-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Wish my opponents were that unobservant...

Alas, don't think I'll be getting this. It's too expensive for the fun I'll get out of it seeing how I'll be WTFPWNED at every turn and by the time it's cheaper peeps will have moved on to other games or be SUPER-PRO

Rii
12-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Alas, don't think I'll be getting this. It's too expensive for the fun I'll get out of it seeing how I'll be WTFPWNED at every turn and by the time it's cheaper peeps will have moved on to other games or be SUPER-PRO

I admit I was weakening until coverage of the forthcoming 'Back to Karkand' DLC cropped up to remind me of the nature of the beast I'm dealing with here. No EA, I'll not be paying for the privilege of joining your revenue stream.

And yeah, unlike single-player games by the time this is actually worth buying it won't be worth playing.

duff
12-11-2011, 07:55 AM
EA are just so evilz!

Heliocentric
12-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Between PR mod, and ARMA 2 I feel my own combined warfare needs are fulfilled. No unlocks, no opponents grinding, or over/under equipped players, no stupidity like not being able to hop out of a tank and assuming a nearby ally can use the equipment but they simply lacking the capacity because they haven't grinded enough.

I'll buy it in a year for the coop, mind you.

JayTee
12-11-2011, 12:38 PM
...no stupidity like not being able to hop out of a tank and assuming a nearby ally can use the equipment but they simply lacking the capacity because they haven't grinded enough. Eh? There's no unlock for 'Drive Tank' :|

Instead it's more they simply lack the capability because they're retarded.

Grizzly
12-11-2011, 01:42 PM
So it is better then in BC2 then?

Heliocentric
12-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I mean the full capacity rather than the capability.

The JG Man
12-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I want the next BF to drop a shit-load of unlocks. It doesn't fit. I'm not saying remove choice; optics are fine for those who want, but flares for air vehicles? Bipods for LMGs and sniper rifles? Ugh.

Looking forward to Karkand as I twiddled a few more network settings yesterday and was able to play consistently. When this game works well, it's almost there. It's almost that Battlefield gold standard. The rest of the time it's just nowhere near as fun. In this game, for example, it's so damn rare to have those rare moments that you can sneak off and recapture the point you were stalking as an enemy squad took it and have since left. The maps are too small for little tricks like that.

The Pink Ninja
12-11-2011, 04:55 PM
It reminds me unpleasantly of world of Tanks where I'd always be outclassed by the enemy tanks but could only unlock new tanks by beating those better tanks. Yes you do get xp from just fighting but without getting kills it's a slow fucking grind.

Admitedly since it is still just an FPS which I tend to be moderately good at and it has fast respawns (Unlike WOT) it won't be nearly so bad but still, I'll get flashbacks to the Eastern Front.

vagrant
14-11-2011, 03:08 AM
Bipods for LMGs are amazing. Sniper rifles too, but being able to hold-breath basically makes it pointless.
Also, flares for aircraft were in Battlefield 2 and are perfectly relevant. Also, not overly effective.

What is dumb: Lock-on tank rounds. Haven't unlocked it so maybe it's not as bad as it sounds. Really though, the only thing I miss is an effective radar probe. That plantable radar is rather spotty, and the UAV rarely gets used (but is cool). Every time I've used it, it seems like my team doesn't know what a red triangle means.

The JG Man
14-11-2011, 03:28 AM
You miss-understand my point. I wasn't saying that they should be removed, but they should be there from the start and then unlock things later with the choice to replace them with something else. For example, give all the optics at first and then you can choose which one you want to use, if any. The unlock choice should be the weapon, not the attachments.

I basically wanted the 2142 or even BC1 approach to unlocks. You get an unlock every rank or two, you get to choose what you want to unlock, no kit performance required. Want to get everything while playing as an engineer? You can do. By the time you've unlocked things for another kit, you'll probably be far enough into the game to know what they do anyhow. Choice is maintained, no complete bullshit with unlocks and the game starts and maintains its own balance.

Nalano
14-11-2011, 06:59 AM
But... LMGs get bipods at the start already.

The JG Man
14-11-2011, 02:21 PM
It was more a lumping of LMGs and sniper rifles together. I also didn't think all the LMGs came with them at start, but fair enough. Doesn't change the point though. Why should tanks have to unlock coaxial MGs? Why should I have to unlock a laser before a torch or vice verca? It's just silly.

Nalano
14-11-2011, 02:37 PM
It was more a lumping of LMGs and sniper rifles together. I also didn't think all the LMGs came with them at start, but fair enough. Doesn't change the point though. Why should tanks have to unlock coaxial MGs? Why should I have to unlock a laser before a torch or vice verca? It's just silly.

Tanks are supremely effective out of the box, and the less people with laser sights and flashlights, the better.

I mean, I don't like unlocks either, but it's not quite as egregiously bad as BC2. The only real snag I've come across is with jetfighters.

The JG Man
14-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Tanks are only supremely effective out of the box because you can get out and repair them (which I will add, repair them from 0 to 100 without stopping, which is ridiculous) and carry on. An advantage helicopters don't easily have (unless it's a transport, in which case damage to other vehicles will be minimal) and jets are essentially void of.

Kadayi
14-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Perfectly fine. I play with a GTX 460 and albeit I can't play with everything to the max, the game still looks amazing and is playable at 1900x1200.

Nalano
14-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Perfectly fine. I play with a GTX 460 and albeit I can't play with everything to the max, the game still looks amazing and is playable at 1900x1200.

Wanna hear something crazy? I get smooth gameplay with an 8800GT on medium settings. I hate Origin and I'm not a fan of EA, but BF3 is coded quite well.

Hirmetrium
14-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Applied to the platoon.

Hope to catch some games with you guys.

Vandelay
14-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Not too sure how often everyone ventures into the Game Clubs forum, so, in case people miss it, it has just been posted in there that RPS now has a server. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2041-RPS-BF3-servers) It is only 32 players, but could still be a lot of fun.

Spider Jerusalem
14-11-2011, 07:25 PM
So it is better then in BC2 then?
i enjoyed bc2 quite a bit more tbh.

it knew what it was trying to be, etc.

Megagun
14-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Ah. Battlefield 3. Finally I get to meet you properly without the nagging feeling in my head that I shouldn't be playing and that I should do some other stuff instead which is way more important and has a deadline I might not achieve if I stop playing RIGHT AT THAT INSTANT.

It's good. It's fun. It's neat. It's technologically quite impressive. But it has this little asterisk attached to it.

I just came back from a magnificent game. Joined partway through, grabbed an airplane, and took off from the US side of Operation Firestorm; Conquest Large. Shot down one other jet, then got shot down myself. Bailed out above capzone E; the one that's a bit far away from the others, which everyone always forgets about. Capped the capzone, after shooting some mans that were stationed there with my newly-acquired F2000 with a Heavy Barrel and an ACOG sight.

As I dropped a healthkit for myself to lick my wounds, I saw a few tanks approaching from the Russian side. There's practically a huge desert between E and the Russian spawn spot, so I saw them coming from very far away and quickly dashed behind some walls. As I sat there, scared to peek out and get shot by massive tank power, I noticed another tank coming from the other entrance to the capzone, followed by a few mans. I shot the mans with my F2000 friend, and let the tank pass. It hung around the capzone for a while until a friendly chopper blew him up, and I took care of the guys hopping out of the tank. Meanwhile, the other tank also enters the capzone, also gets shot until it burns, and I take care of the engineers that hop out to repair it. A few more men on foot try to ambush my capzone, and I take care of those with a few bursts of my probable new favourite weapon. Unfortunately, one of them manages to hit me quite severely and brings me down to 10% health, so I run around a wall, drop a medkit, and pray that nobody spots me there.

As I lay down, praying for my own life, I notice that cute blue number on the bottom right of my screen. My ammo. It's running out. I figure I have about enough ammo left to shoot one man down and then take his weapon off his dead body. I look around for teammate Supports, but I can't see any of them. This capzone must really be off the US team's radar, as so far I have only seen enemies.

I spot a buggy approaching me from the Russian base. I dash around a wall on the outer rim of the capzone, turn around the wall, and manage to shoot the driver out of it. I still don't really know how; the F2000 ain't the most precise weapon of all, and my aim generally sucks. The gunner steps out, spots me, and runs towards me. He's an engineer. Another russian spawns on his ass, meaning that there are two nasties running towards me. I can only imagine their faces behind their engineer masks. They must be grinning madly as they're about to double-team a poor Assault without any ammo left. I unload my F2000 and pistol. Somehow, I kill them both, yet are left with 0% health. I've seen this happen a few times; you don't actually die until you go below 0% health. I was pumped. No ammo left, I quickly drop a medkit, rush towards the body of the soldier I just killed, and take his weapon. I can't say I know exactly what weapon that was; it didn't seem familiar at all, but I was glad it had an ACOG scope.

So here I am, with a weapon I can't remember ever using, at the outer wall of a capzone. I'm facing the entire battlefield. I see snipers in the distance sniping, tanks in the distance tanking, and choppers chopping far above me. I check what set I have just picked up. Great, an assault. That engineer I killed must've took this from another body. I press '3', hoping to see a medkit pop up. Damned. Grenade launcher. I check my ammo. Enough for two clips. I contemplate moving out and grabbing whatever kit the other engineer I shot had, but figure that that'll just give away my position to the massive number of snipers obviously camping outside just beyond my visual range, which I see as an obvious indication of their nefarious intent.

As I've healed up, I check to see if the dead engineer's weapon is still there. It's not. I'm too late. I run back to the capzone so that I can get behind the walls again, safe from enemy snipers, when I see another buggy racing towards me. His exact direction makes it clear to me that he's going to try and ram me. I take my weapon to my eye, and shoot the bastard out of his buggy. His buggy just barely manages to miss me. His driver (who must've been sleeping as he never shot me) jumped out, and I took him down. I grab his kit and finally manage to get into solid cover again.

SCAR-H. No scope, no other attachments as far as I can tell. Damned. I hit '3', hoping to find an RPG. Damned. Anti-air. I magically look at my radar at just the right time to see a guy attempting to flank me, and I shoot him down just as he rounds the corner. Unfortunately, he brings me down to low health zone, and without a healthkit I can do nothing but sit and hope that my health will go back to what it used to be.

A tank rushes in, followed by a few guys. Somehow, I manage to shoot the mans down without them noticing me (I was shooting at them from their left side, they must've not noticed in time to shoot at me). The tank rushes past and continues to not bother about me. A chopper moves overhead ready to drop people off at the cap zone, or assist the tank that's now capturing my precious cap zone (I can't differentiate between transport choppers and attack choppers yet). I take out my anti-air, and manage to disable the damned thing. It flies over me, and lands somewhere safely. Engineers hop out and start repairing that damned thing like mad. I peek over a partially-destroyed wall, and unload a clip of my SCAR-H without caring for proper burst firing. I somehow manage to take one guy down; the rest hop into their partially repaired chopper.

I take out my anti-air again and shoot at the chopper, all whilst there is at least one tank near me and I figure I don't have long to live anymore. The chopper is disabled again and flies off somewhere else out of sight. I smile as I see the 'destruction bonus' text pop up. I realize I'm doing pretty well, and message a friend through Origin that I just managed to get a 16:0 k/d ratio, as I thought he was still in the same server as I was. As I'm doing so, more enemy tanks show up to take that capture zone. The Russkis must really like it.

I take out the footsoldiers with surprising ease again. The tanks happily do not acknowledge my existence and camp at the heart of the capture zone. Suddenly, I hear music in the background. I look in the bottom left corner of the screen. The Russians are almost out of tickets. The music goes louder and louder, until my screen suddenly turns blueish-white.

Your team won. Top of my own team: Megagun. K/D: 21:0. I smile the widest smile I've ever smiled when playing Battlefield 3, and suddenly become aware of the adrenaline flowing through my body. I did it!

As I sit there, looking through my stats and messaging a friend through Origin, I can't wait to look through the battle report. Something about those advanced statistics it shows can be pretty damned satisfying.

The next map loads, and I exit as I have to run some errand.

As I come back, I load up Battlelog to look at the report. It's not there. The game didn't save anything at all. I look at my statistics for the F2000, and the tactical flashlight isn't displayed as being unlocked for me, even though I unlocked it in the game I just played. The game wasn't recorded at all. No stats were saved. Why, game, why!? Why this particular game, my own little 'Battlefield Moment', instead of that other game where I humiliated myself horribly by continuously crashing attack helicopters into the ground!?

That's the asterisk I told you about earlier. Although the technology is quite neat, and the webbrowser-based server browser is actually something I like, some stuff just doesn't always work correctly. A friend of mine has problems with the voice chat (he keeps getting kicked out of it after 10 seconds). Others have problems with games not being saved. Yet others have problems with the game crashing often at map changes. Very unfortunate.

That said, Battlefield 3 is still quite an amazing game. I bet I'll continue to love playing it for a few months to come.

TL;DR: Joined a game. Flew a jet. Shot down another jet then got shot down myself. Captured a capzone, killed a lot of dudes, feared for my life as tanks swarmed over my position and I had little health. Swapped weapons twice with guys I killed due to lack of ammo. Ended the game with a 21:0 kill-to-death ratio, which then wasn't saved by Battlelog and the stats were never saved either. Blah.

TODD
23-11-2011, 04:01 PM
A friend of mine woke up with this in his inbox:

Greetings,

Your Electronic Arts Online account has been permanently terminated from the Electronic Arts Online service for violating the Terms of Service. The account will no longer be accessible in any way, and all property, items, and characters associated currently are or will soon be deleted.

Violation: Inappropriate Screen/Persona Name

The EA Online naming policy is a derivative of the Terms of Service, and is designed to prevent any inappropriate conduct or vulgarity via a character name. This policy covers character names, group/clan titles, group/clan names, and any other user-generated content.

Screen Name:jihadswag

As the decision in this matter is final, please know that it is possible that no further correspondence regarding this account will be acknowledged. We regret having to take this final step, but it is entirely necessary on behalf of protecting the Electronic Arts Online community.

We respectfully ask that you please do not phone or email Electronic Arts regarding this matter from this point forward. We also ask that you understand and respect all statutes within the Terms of Service, as they still contractually apply to you as per the original agreement, especially the sections regarding terminated members of the service.

Sincerely,
Customer Support
Electronic Arts, Inc.

EA.com Customer Relations

acidtestportfolio
23-11-2011, 04:13 PM
A friend of mine woke up with this in his inbox:

we must protect electronic arts from names with jihad in them

turds

Nalano
23-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Ahh, good ol' EA account bans. That's a way to win hearts and minds.

The JG Man
25-11-2011, 11:23 PM
AA = Anti-Anything. Good lord. I'm used to a few things being badly balanced in a BF game, but this is ridiculous.

Nalano
25-11-2011, 11:29 PM
AA = Anti-Anything. Good lord. I'm used to a few things being badly balanced in a BF game, but this is ridiculous.

Well, there's usually only one AA per side in a map with AA, and a tank or LAV with guided shells/missiles can basically two-shot them inside of a second of the first shot landing.

neema_t
25-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Well, there's usually only one AA per side in a map with AA, and a tank or LAV with guided shells/missiles can basically two-shot them inside of a second of the first shot landing.

That is if anyone cares enough. I was on a Caspian Border server once where the Tunguska on the other team was parked just outside their uncap, shooting down every jet and chopper on our team almost instantly and doing a good job of keeping the infantry dead at B (is it B?). Long story short, no one tried to do anything, I died many times trying to remove him from the face of videogaming because there were never any tanks available (except the one time I did get a tank he drove off, I chased him, I tripped off the edge of a cliff he'd just skipped off the side of and exploded while he just went back to where he was), he told me he had active armour on and he was basically dug the fuck in. For the simple reason that I just could not kill him no matter what I tried (I didn't have C4, mind you) means that yes, I'm shit at killing armour, but also he had the best of every possible world; huge amounts of armour, great maneuverability and a bloody big gun which was keeping the sky, the ground and one cap point totally clear. For that reason, I also find them to be massively overpowered, because quite often the team just doesn't care enough to actively seek out the AA with more than one tank. I don't know why I bothered to type this, it's all pretty obvious stuff, you know?

Nalano
26-11-2011, 12:00 AM
That is if anyone cares enough.

So make it your job to make that guy's job hard for him to do, if he's propping up his whole team.

If there's no tank at base, wait 'til one pops. After all, what's more important: Getting to A or killing him? If the latter, you can afford the 40 seconds 'til the asshat who jacked the tank gets himself killed.

The JG Man
26-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Hell, I'd run up to them and C4'em. They should be looking up, but why not look everywhere when you obliterate infantry too? Who honestly thought "Yeah, the AA needs to have its power increased." Also, that dreaded G3. Because I've been killed by that SO...what's that, not at all? Why, funny that...so they nerfed it. Nice.

neema_t
26-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Hell, I'd run up to them and C4'em. They should be looking up, but why not look everywhere when you obliterate infantry too? Who honestly thought "Yeah, the AA needs to have its power increased." Also, that dreaded G3. Because I've been killed by that SO...what's that, not at all? Why, funny that...so they nerfed it. Nice.

Yeah, I didn't have C4 at the time but that would've been lovely. I did basically try to hassle him, but the thing is I was such an inconsiderable threat that he didn't have to try too hard to kill me and then resume his stationary rape.

Oh and don't get me started on the G3, I worked so hard to unlock it, loved it for 55 kills (didn't use it much) and now look what's happened. I had wanted to use it with a scope, bipod and a laser so I could have a fully automatic long range rifle, but what's the point now? Might as well use the Support weapons... I hate being Support.

The JG Man
26-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Use the starting LMGs for Support. The control isn't too different to an assault rifle and while they don't have quite as much immediate stopping power, they're good at what they do.

Nalano
26-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Might as well use the Support weapons... I hate being Support.

So don't play support!

I love support. But that's mainly because I like large caliber weapons that I don't have to reload every three seconds. In bottleneck maps they're hilarious in that you can just lay down fire and people will walk into your sights.

coldvvvave
26-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Hahaha, now after latest update I get black screen when joining the game and nothing happens, sound is there and i was banned for idling once. Now I can't shoot Americans online, what a shame. I'm going to post this on EA forums but those forums look abandoned by mods and tech staff, threads like "FU EA FU DICE" are everywhere. There is no hope.

EDIT: reverting language back to Russian fixed the problem, this is stupid

Hensler
29-11-2011, 01:03 AM
I just realized that I have 2 different EA accounts. My older account has all of the previous Battlefield games, and a high veteran status. My newer account has Medal of Honor 2010, and I accidentally used that to purchase Battlefield 3. Is there any way to link two EA accounts together, so I can get my maximum veteran status? I know it's not a big deal, but I'm petty like that. I'm also an achievement whore.

The JG Man
29-11-2011, 08:36 AM
If you use the customer support...stuff (I don't know where on Origin or EA you actually find this, but I imagine it's easy enough to find) and you're chatting to someone, I believe they can merge them for you for little trouble.