PDA

View Full Version : QuakeWorld Rookie Tournament

Herzog
27-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Attention everyone!

You have been playing every fps up to now and you want the ultimate challenge? Try QuakeWorld! The original fps that started online gaming! There is still a community left with active duel and team deathmatch leagues. Soon there is a rookie tournament starting for new players to get a feel for the game. Here is the original news item:

It's time for another edition of the famous Ignition rookie tournament for the first-person-shooter game QuakeWorld (QW) which was developed by ID Software in 1996. Since back then, the game has been maintained, polished and played by thousands of players throughout the years and there is still a very active player base competing for the fun and honor in QuakeWorld. The goal of the Ignition tournament is to introduce new players to this game under fun and fair, yet competitive conditions.

The tournament format is 1on1 deathmatch in a double-elimination bracket playoff and the matches will be played on the maps Aerowalk, ZTNDM3, VDM3V3, Hate and Skull in best of three maps series. The tournament will last between 7th November and 20th December 2011 with matches scheduled in specific weeks - you agree with your opponent on when to play - rather than on a set date to allow for flexibility for players.

You can get started with QuakeWorld today by downloading nQuake which is a quick-starter pack that includes everything you need to play QuakeWorld and participate in this tournament. The nQuake pack is based off of the Quake shareware version and thus only includes the maps from the first episode and custom maps. If one wants to play the classic DM maps, then the pak1.pak that can be found on your original Quake CD is required.

Questions on the tournament or the game overall can be asked in the comments to this news item or by taking advantage of the friendly community on QuakeWorld.nu.

We hope that the tournament will see many rookies signed up and we encourage current established players to tell their friends to sign up for this frag fest! (bear in mind that we have a strict rookies-only policy though)

http://ignition.qwscene.net/?sid=4

To play you need the original quake files which you can get over at steam for low money. The best starter pack with new textures and client can be found here: www.nquake.com

Everyone is invited!

www.quakeworld.nu

Herzog
27-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Oops, I just realized that you dont need the original quake files as only custom maps are played!

hamster
27-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Why not host the tournament using Quake Live instead? (I think that's what it's called). It's free and i'm guessing more or less the same thing.

Herzog
27-10-2011, 04:23 PM
The Quake series is not CoD. The differences between QuakeWorld (Q1) , Quake 2 and Quake 3 (Quake Live) are huge, gameplay wise. Of course in both games you have to get more frags then your opponent but the differences in weapons, movement and physics are big.

Here are two random duels:

QW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25AmIddxj4

QL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxRy09GgjCA

I think one can see a difference here ;)

Bilbo1981
28-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I used to be an avid quaker in the old day and I know that the level of skill in quakeworld is insane. I dread to think how good these "rookie" players are :)

My claim to fame was beating world champion Sujoy on DM4 back in 98, if that means anything to anyone here. Youre probably too young to remember.

cybrbrnt
28-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I wish I was the age I am now when Quake came out. I would have loved to have been Quaking back when it was H-O-T HOT!

hamster
28-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Damn...these games look way too hard for me. Having to memorize all the different angles, item pick up routes and stuff like that - you really have no chance when you're fresh and jump into a game against someone who knows his stuff. What's the simplest map to learn?

MD!
28-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I used to be an avid quaker in the old day and I know that the level of skill in quakeworld is insane. I dread to think how good these "rookie" players are :)

My claim to fame was beating world champion Sujoy on DM4 back in 98, if that means anything to anyone here. Youre probably too young to remember.

Is that the same Sujoy who founded ESR?

Anyway, anyone who is in the right part of the world, go for it! I missed QuakeWorld the first time around, and I'd be all over this if I wasn't in the wrong hemisphere. Quake is a wonderful game, and this sounds like a good chance to get into QW without having to get owned by experienced players 1000 times while you learn the basics.

Herzog
30-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Actually there will be two tournaments. One for players completely new to QW and fast-paced fps and one for players that come from Q3/QL/CPMA.

And as MD! already said this is an excellence chance to find some other players which will have your level of play.

Herzog
02-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Have to push this, sorry guys! But this video made me do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

What if Quake was done today? Sign up for some manly action!