PDA

View Full Version : Origin activation EPIC FAIL

Ravenger
27-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Due to the heavy load from BF3 Origin's activation servers are now down, and no-one can activate the game.

You can't even install the game from disc without activating it, so it's incredibly frustrating.

I only hope this isn't a BFBC2 sized fail where you can't get into the game for a week, as happened when their stats server got overloaded on launch.

Kadayi
27-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Yes they seem to have massively underestimated the number of people who bought the game day one.

Smashbox
27-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Despite their obscene advertising budget. Sigh

Kadayi
27-10-2011, 09:29 PM
http://www.duimschroef.nl/2011/10/wanneer-kunt-u-battlefield-3-spelen-och-over-3-dagen-zegt-origin-support/

take with a pinch of salt but:-

We’re hoping by the end of the day but more realistically it could take up to 2 or 3 business days to complete.

thegooseking
27-10-2011, 09:37 PM
So... I guess Origin wants to compete with Steam by making all the same mistakes Steam made eight years ago?

Uh, it's not that kind of competition, EA.

Ravenger
27-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Looks like it's working now. Activated and downloading.

Lukasz
27-10-2011, 10:06 PM
So... I guess Origin wants to compete with Steam by making all the same mistakes Steam made eight years ago?

Uh, it's not that kind of competition, EA.
its not like steam doesn't get broken all the time when a huge game is released.

metalangel
27-10-2011, 10:31 PM
I only hope this isn't a BFBC2 sized fail where you can't get into the game for a week, as happened when their stats server got overloaded on launch.

It took even longer for the 'Veteran's Club' or whatever it was called to start working again so you could access the two locked bonus guns.

Yes they seem to have massively underestimated the number of people who bought the game day one.

Don't worry, we're doing an open beta to stress test our servers to ensure a smooth launch!

Megagun
27-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Slightly odd that they've been having problems; I'm pretty sure they're using Amazon EC2 for their activation servers. I know they're using Akamai to distribute their games, and EC2 for Battlelog and the Origin webstore. I always thought that throwing more money at a problem would solve a scalability issue like this.

Also, the Open Beta was for the Battlelog/BF3 server systems, not for Origin's activation servers which went down. I guess they didn't make a call to the Origin activation servers when people downloaded the Battlefield 3 beta, which would explain why they're having troubles now rather back when they were doing the open beta.

Nalano
27-10-2011, 11:19 PM
its not like steam doesn't get broken all the time when a huge game is released.

We'll see if those words hold true when MW3 comes out.

I don't remember a time when Steam died on me because of a popular launch.

Kaira-
27-10-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't remember a time when Steam died on me because of a popular launch.

I'm awaiting christmas sales with horror. Might be better if I just go offline-mode, for safety's sake. Last christmas I spent two hours trying to launch Warband, because Steam servers were too busy.

Jiiiiim
27-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Well the last big TF2 update had Steam flickering on and off and broke the item servers but I suppose that isn't too horrible for those not playing TF2 >_>

thegooseking
28-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Yeah, Steam gets broken with big sales. Not so much with big launches.

Origin probably won't get broken with big sales. That's not due to its stability under load, though...

battles_atlas
28-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Jesus Christ I've never been so tempted to pirate than after 15minutes trying to install BF3.

I thought I'd be proactive and prepare ahead of time, so yesterday I downloaded Origin and installed. Even though I had no desire to have another piece of unnecessary software on my machine, degrading boot times and helping itself to my data. But then for those of us legally obtaining the game this isn't voluntary.

Today disks arrive in post. First I get repeated error messages trying to enter my product code when asked for it. Eventually I realise this is the product code for the Amazon-specific unlocks, not the other product code, which is in the dvd case.

Then it tries to install to my SSD, so I redirect it to the E drive. But I can't just change the 'C' to an 'E' like usual, instead I have to navigate to where I want it. Having done so, I hit install. "ERROR": Windows can't find some file. I discover Windows is being directed to "Origin Game" (where I just told it to install), when the file it wants was actually placed in "Origin".

Finally get it to start installing, go get a cup of tea. Come back ten minutes later and its 3.8%. Its DOWNLOADING the goddamn game that is sitting on the disc in the machine, which even on my broadband will take most of the day. Cancel install, reload disc, and wow, fourth time lucky I'm actually allowed to install the game I paid 30 for.

The whole thing screams of a corporate culture that still, even today, does not get the basic fucking principle that the best defence against piracy is to make legal options easier than illegal options. Instead, these morons are still rowing in the opposite direction. Its the same thing in this story from yesterday: they still don't get it http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/27/warner-bros-blocks-blockbuster

Christian
28-10-2011, 10:43 AM
It took even longer for the 'Veteran's Club' or whatever it was called to start working again so you could access the two locked bonus guns.[...]

Oh, where do I find that and how does it work? It shows some veteran-bagdes on my profile, so maybe I'll get free stuff as well?

battles_atlas
28-10-2011, 12:51 PM
My discs came with a flyer for www.gunclub.ea.com, logging in to which gets you a handgun. Allegedly. Logging in a the moment gets you a helpful error message: "ERROR: AN ERROR OCCURRED". Bravo.What purpose that website serves/demands beyond all the stuff that Origin and Battlelog already want I have no idea.

Vandelay
28-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Finally get it to start installing, go get a cup of tea. Come back ten minutes later and its 3.8%. Its DOWNLOADING the goddamn game that is sitting on the disc in the machine, which even on my broadband will take most of the day. Cancel install, reload disc, and wow, fourth time lucky I'm actually allowed to install the game I paid 30 for.

Just so others do not get the wrong impression, it does not download the game. It says it is downloading, but it is definitely getting the data from the disc, as my drive was spinning and it was saying it was "downloading" at over 10MB/sec. In total the disc installation took about 20 mins.

I'm not sure if this the case for you, or if something has gone wrong, but it certainly does not download the game for everyone installing from disc. I believe some else said the other day it took them 3 hours to install from disc, so there might be a very specific issue happening.

battles_atlas
28-10-2011, 01:59 PM
For me it was downloading it. The disc drive was inactive, and the install speed was 1.4mb/sec, which is my broadband limit. After I cancelled and restarted it was doing 8mb/sec from the disc. This may or may not be common, but it certainly was the case for me.

Kadayi
28-10-2011, 02:58 PM
The 'downloading' message was slightly confusing. It might well of been downloading some files from the interwebs as well, but they'ed perhaps have been better of saying 'downloading and installing from disc'. Either way game installed in 20 minutes or so and up and running now.

metalangel
28-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Oh, where do I find that and how does it work? It shows some veteran-bagdes on my profile, so maybe I'll get free stuff as well?

http://veteran.battlefield.com/

Because I had BF1942 and something else to my name, I got the M1 Garand and Thompson in BC2.

Smashbox
28-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Do you need a specific level of 'veterancy' to unlock the guns?

metalangel
28-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I think you just need to "register" your BF games with the site so they'll be recognised by your EA... sorry, "Origin" account when you connect to a game it knows to make them available to you.

For me, this meant digging out my copy of BF1942 to enter the CD key. Looking now at the veteran site I have just it and BC2 to my name, which was enough to get me the guns in BC2.

Smashbox
28-10-2011, 04:35 PM
I have a level of ... 3 I think. What guns were unlocked for you for being a veteran? I don't appear to have received any.

metalangel
28-10-2011, 04:37 PM
In BC2 I got the Garand and Thompson. In the weapons screen (on 360 at least) they were greyed out in the bottom right corner.

battles_atlas
29-10-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't think they're doing the same thing for BF3. I got the same thing from Bad Company, and the new game lists the previous BF games I've had my battlelog, but I dont have the unlocks.

metalangel
29-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Has this Gun Club thing replaced Veteran thing?