PDA

View Full Version : Arkham City unlocked in the UK Steam Store

Icarus
27-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Yep. Arkham City is available to preorder on UK Steam, finally.

Miker
27-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Yep. Arkham City is available to preorder on UK Steam, finally.

Good to hear. I'm still hesitant to pre-order with the triple DRM lockdown they have on it, though. That, and chances are there will be DLC in the near future anyway.

DickSocrates
27-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Look at the price of it though, ridiculous! Amazon has it for 10 cheaper, and Steam doesn't have a single pre-order bonus. Warner are really sticking it to PC players this time. Do they honestly think their game will compete with MW3 for sales? And at aleast MW has the potential long lasting value of the multiplayer to justify the high price. Batman is just big, and according to Giant Bomb, a bit too much like the previous game.

Golden rule of thumb: Never buy new releases from Steam.

Althea
27-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Look at the price of it though, ridiculous! Amazon has it for 10 cheaper, and Steam doesn't have a single pre-order bonus. Warner are really sticking it to PC players this time. Do they honestly think their game will compete with MW3 for sales? And at aleast MW has the potential long lasting value of the multiplayer to justify the high price. Batman is just big, and according to Giant Bomb, a bit too much like the previous game.

Golden rule of thumb: Never buy new releases from Steam.
Go on the page. Shows 35 on storefront, 28 on the page.

Unaco
27-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah. What Unrav said. I'm seeing it for 27.99 on the page for "Pre-Purchase Batman Arkham City Prepurchase UK only", 25.99 on Amazon.

Golden Rule of thumb: Don't be too hasty, check your facts before making sweeping declarations.

Ravenger
27-10-2011, 10:26 PM
The extra cost must be for the third layer of unnecessary DRM.

Althea
27-10-2011, 10:30 PM
There is no "extra cost". The game is 28, which puts it roughly in-line with the retail editions.

Kadayi
27-10-2011, 10:45 PM

Publishers set their own prices.

Vexing Vision
27-10-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm majorly concerned about lack of PC review copies, according to most PC sites. Of course, it might be because everyone and their mother reviewed the Xbox and PS3 copies already, but I'll wait for someone else to foodtaste the potentially poisoned apple. If there's no mention of corrupted saves after a week, I'll bite.

Isometric
28-10-2011, 12:06 AM
I bought it on GamersGate because I assumed it would be like Space Marine where it's not even available to UK residents. I'm guessing I can add my cd key to Steam though, the same way I did with Space Marine so it works out. Cheaper too.

Unaco
28-10-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm majorly concerned about lack of PC review copies, according to most PC sites. Of course, it might be because everyone and their mother reviewed the Xbox and PS3 copies already, but I'll wait for someone else to foodtaste the potentially poisoned apple. If there's no mention of corrupted saves after a week, I'll bite.

Or... it might be because it isn't out on PC for another 3 weeks, and so it isn't finished yet.

thegooseking
28-10-2011, 05:06 AM
There is no "extra cost". The game is 28, which puts it roughly in-line with the retail editions.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this yet. It's 35 or 28 if you already own Arkham Asylum or Lego Batman (i.e. 20% off).

goatmonkey
28-10-2011, 07:23 AM
I am oddly not that excited guess I will either wait for a goatee edition or when this is super cheap, have to admit I find all the different DLC options off-putting especially when there is certain to be more later.

PeteC
28-10-2011, 07:56 AM
It only cost me 20.36 from Green Man Gaming. That was with a code for 20% off.

Vexing Vision
28-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Or... it might be because it isn't out on PC for another 3 weeks, and so it isn't finished yet.

If it's still not finished three weeks before release, that is bloody worrying. ;) We're not talking about an Indie-title here, after all. No offense to indie-titles.

Ian
28-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm waiting to pay a lesser price. :(

Althea
28-10-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this yet. It's 35 or 28 if you already own Arkham Asylum or Lego Batman (i.e. 20% off).
Aaaaaaaaaaah, I didn't notice that. That makes a lot of sense, and I completely forgot about it. Kudos for pointing that out.

Vandelay
28-10-2011, 09:53 AM

How long before release do websites get review copies? I would have thought it would only be in the region of about a week, so nothing to really worry about.

Althea
01-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Guys, turns out GamersGate is trumping Steam again.

Arkham City for 27 (http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-BMAC/batman-arkham-city) as a preorder (That's roughly the fully discounted Steam price), and 20% off (24) if you own Lego Batman or Arkham Asylum from GamersGate. So, it's only 1 more to buy Lego Batman or Arkham Asylum GotY on GamersGate and then pre-order Arkham City, plus you'd get some of your purchase back in Blue Coins, if you have one of the Batman games already. If not, then it's a good 6 cheaper on GamersGate. Actually, you could buy Lego Batman and AA GotY, then pre-order AC, and you'd still be saving money.

It also appears to be free from the triple-DRM situation of Steam, as the store page only has GfWL and SecuROM listed. If Steamworks was necessary, it'd say "Requires 3rd Party Download".

Unaco
01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
If it's still not finished three weeks before release, that is bloody worrying. ;) We're not talking about an Indie-title here, after all. No offense to indie-titles.

Really? Or, is it not the the norm that reviews copies are distributed 1 - 2 weeks before launch? The reason it was, ostensibly, delayed for PC was for the polish, and adding of PC specific features... last minute touches and the like.

winterwolves
01-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Since is on Steam I'll just wait a few months, maybe this Christmas sale... :)