PDA

View Full Version : Life with slow high-speed internet

icupnimpn2
28-10-2011, 02:57 AM
I'm moving out to the Navajo reservation next week and will be losing a pretty wonderful cable internet connection for a Frontier Communications DSL line with a blazing "up to 1 mbit" download speed. The "up to" part scares me a bit. I'm worried there's going to be little difference between my connection and dial-up, except that I don't have to dial. $50 a month? Great.

Anyone out there using a slow high-speed internet connection on their gaming PC? How bad does life suck? Does Steam freak out?

DigitalSignalX
28-10-2011, 03:32 AM
The "up to" will be based on your distance from the termination point of the line. If you've ever actually used dial up, then I'd suggest being pretty content to get any connection over 250KBs You shouldn't need more then that for most gaming anyway, ping is actually more critical at that point.

The real difference will be noticeable in browsing graphically oriented sites or using streaming media of some sort, and of course direct downloads. But since you're in the middle of the sticks relatively speaking, I'd still suggest being glad to get an option at all - many people still use dialup 56k.

icupnimpn2
28-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks. It will be interesting to see how bad the ping is. Aside from the slow DSL, the other option is a massively expensive satellite internet connection. I understand the speeds wouldn't be much better and the ping would be something like 1500 ms.

Mistabashi
28-10-2011, 09:03 PM
As far as web-browsing goes, make sure to use Ad Block Pro to get rid of all those animated Flash banner ads which will suck up your bandwidth.

Lukasz
28-10-2011, 09:46 PM
3gb limit is what kills me right now.

need to be careful with how many youtube video i watch. doctor who and young justice i download at my girl's place for that reason
cannot download games from steam or gog either... just browse, and two dozen of youtube videos per month.

speed. i don't really care about it as long as it is stable. i grew up on kazaa and 256 kilobits per second connection. Limits is what kills me :(

good luck mate and i feel your pain.

airtekh
28-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I have an 'up to 3MB' connection, which is actually 1.7MB but before that I was on about 0.7MB.

After years of dial-up it felt like lightning, but I gather I'm in the slow end as far as broadband goes.

I manage quite well, I get decent pings in European TF2 servers (about 60 - 100ms), Steam works fine, although it can be slow to start games sometimes.

Downloading games is the killer for me. Most games take hours to download, and some larger ones, like Dragon Age and GTA4, take well over a day.

You should do ok, but the transition might be painful.

President Weasel
29-10-2011, 12:35 AM
I started playing MMOs when a 128Kb/s connection was fast, and I had a 56K connection. So if anyone tries to tell you that having an "up to 1MB connection" is "like dial up" or "feels like I am on 56K" or anything, you just tell them from me: YOU WEREN'T THERE, MAN! You have no idea what you are talking about!
It would also be cool if you could give them a freaky 1000yd stare at that point, but that would just be a bonus.

DigitalSignalX
29-10-2011, 12:47 AM
you just tell them from me: YOU WEREN'T THERE, MAN! You have no idea what you are talking about!

heh heh I can remember painfully watching images resolve 5 or 10 pixel rows at a time on a 9600 baud modem. We are so spoiled now! I complain about how long it takes to load the RPS front page with all the social networking buttons because it's 20 seconds instead of 5, but it would have taken an hour 15 years ago :P

Skalpadda
29-10-2011, 11:13 AM
3gb limit is what kills me right now.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know why ISPs still do this? The cynic in me says it's just a way to get people to pay for more when their connections slow to a crawl, but are there other reasons, like dissuading people from using too much of shared bandwidth?

R-F
29-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Slightly off topic but does anyone know why ISPs still do this? The cynic in me says it's just a way to get people to pay for more when their connections slow to a crawl, but are there other reasons, like dissuading people from using too much of shared bandwidth?

It's a combination of preventing people from hogging bandwidth and to get shit tonnes of money off them. In England, it's also legally required that you have a "fair usage policy", which is like a soft bandwidth cap. Most ISPs have it in the 50GB per month range and they'll start slowing your internet after you go over that.

My ISP has a fair usage policy of 500GB per month, but I don't think they even enforce it. It genuinely shocks me more people aren't using them. But, then again, if more people were using them, then a lot of the advantages of their service would be taken away. :p

Wooly Wugga Wugga
29-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Not having ADSL in my area I'm forced to use HSDPA with a 5gig cap or dialup. No fun.