PDA

View Full Version : What are you NOT playing at the moment?

Ninjafoodstuff
28-10-2011, 03:09 PM
What are you not playing that you feel like you're missing out on?

I am not playing Battlefield 3, in part because it's too pricey, and in part because of my stance on EA/origin
I am also not playing the Witcher 2 because it reminds me I need a better video card.

deano2099
28-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Batman, cause I want it on PC.

Tikey
28-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Sword of the stars 2, because it isn't out yet (three hours!). And also because I'm at work.

metalangel
28-10-2011, 03:26 PM
BF3, because it's EA and all the crap that comes with them.

Batman, because of the rampant DLC.

Taidan
28-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I am totally not playing Payday: The Heist, despite calls from my immediate social circle to do so. If we could all somehow agree to fit two more hours into each day I'd be happy to make the time, but for now there are more urgent distractions that need my attention.

Alez
28-10-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm not playing stronghold 3 because it's crap.
I'm not playing anno 2070 because it's not out yet. I hope i'll spend as much time as i did in anno 1404.

Wizardry
28-10-2011, 03:29 PM
None of you guys are playing any games I like.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
28-10-2011, 03:32 PM
BF3. Not on any moral grounds, but because my dual core (which is significantly above min spec, go figure) can't run it at a playable framerate.

Stronghold 3 because it's digital ambien.

Drake Sigar
28-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Alice 2. Why does it seem like EA's website/s are specifically designed to avoid helping you? My physical copy of Alice: Madness Returns refuses to activate and vaguely excuses this with: "Error reading from remote server."

Jams O'Donnell
28-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm not playing anything because I do not have time!

Scatterbrainpaul
28-10-2011, 03:48 PM
At the moment i'm trying the Longest Journey for the first time. Also replaying pyschonaughts again, plus planning on trying Far Cry 2 again (I gave up after an hour last time I played it).

In truth i'm only killing time until Skyrim comes out

westyfield
28-10-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm not playing anything at the moment, because I don't have time. I squeezed half an hour of Deus Ex 3 in the other day, before being swamped with work again. My pre-order copy of BF3's gonna be sitting on a shelf until these exams are over.

But all of us are not playing games you like!

Donjo
28-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Still haven't played Portal 2 co-op. Still waiting for a friend to make a new computer. Anyone else not played it yet? I might have to give up on this friend...

Vexing Vision
28-10-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm not playing Trackmania Canyon or any of the Indie Royale games despite having them all sit on my computer.

I can't free myself from Warband....

ntw
28-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Still haven't played Portal 2 co-op. Still waiting for a friend to make a new computer. Anyone else not played it yet? I might have to give up on this friend...

Me. All my buds had finished it by the time i got it a few months after launch (for considerably less $)

/edit - and in response to Vex above, Blood Bowl LE, 'cos I'm sulking :D

Kodeen
28-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Funny you should mention that. I was thinking of playing the original Wizardry just to see the hubbub, but on the NES because I just got a new one again and I thought "hey, why not". Any idea of that port is any good?

Ian
28-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Is there any thread into which Wizardry can't or won't shoehorn his absolute loathing for any game made nowadays?

coldvvvave
28-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I play Wizardry 8 and jagged Alliance 2 right now.

Not very far in W8 though, just left first loccation and on the road to Arnika.

Vexing Vision
28-10-2011, 04:29 PM
/edit - and in response to Vex above, Blood Bowl LE, 'cos I'm sulking :D

*all sultry Amazon voice* Oh my. I love having that effect on people. Rawr.

CrinnyCow
28-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm not playing SupCom, Medieval 2 Total War, or any of the GTA games... Which is very unfortunate because I haven't finished any of them yet but Battlefield 3 and StarCraft are currently consuming any gaming time I have... But they aren't going anywhere... I'll find time for them.

Donjo
28-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Is there any thread into which Wizardry can't or won't shoehorn his absolute loathing for any game made nowadays?

I quite like Wizardy's utter indifference to the majority of games. It's sort of endearing in an odd way. Keep on hatin' Wizardry!

Wizardry
28-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Funny you should mention that. I was thinking of playing the original Wizardry just to see the hubbub, but on the NES because I just got a new one again and I thought "hey, why not". Any idea of that port is any good?
Never played the NES version. But I wouldn't recommend the first five Wizardry games anyway. Play the Dark Savant trilogy instead.

Not very far in W8 though, just left first loccation and on the road to Arnika.
Oh dear. Grind it out. The road to Arnika is probably the worst part of the game!

Kablooie
28-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Deus Ex HR.

Put about 17 hours into it and got seriously bored with it.

Smashbox
28-10-2011, 05:58 PM
I quite like Wizardy's utter indifference to the majority of games. It's sort of endearing in an odd way. Keep on hatin' Wizardry!

I have a theory that he's an algorithm.

Donjo
28-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I have a theory that he's an algorithm.

Interesting... do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

airtekh
28-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm not playing Battlefield 3, because I haven't made my mind up yet whether to buy it or not.

I haven't seen anything so far in previews that have convinced me to pre-order it. To my mind it just looks like Bad Company 2 but with jets and a higher player count.

I'll read a few reviews and make up my mind then.

DigitalSignalX
29-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Currently not playing Cities XL 2012, Deus Ex Missing Link DLC, Dungeons and Dragons Daggerdale, and Sims Medieval. I just can't seem to be inspired to install them. I'd have to set aside a Harry Potter film marathon (the last blu-ray is finally out on torrents), Dragon Age 2 DLC, and Renegade Ops (SO FUN).

squirrel
29-10-2011, 04:26 AM
Battlefield 3. I want to play, EA doesn't allow me to.

Dragon Age's DLCs and Dragon Age 2. I never pay for any DLCs, and I've bought the main program that I cannot justify to pay for the GOTY something edition. And therefore for Dragon Age 2 I will wait for Bioware to confirm that all DLCs for it are out and covered in GOTY edition. In the mean time, however, for sure I miss out something on the game.

Sims 3 and Sims Medieval. Very same reason.

(All of the above are EA games, I know.)

Any sport games. You see, for the very same game they would release update annually and charge you full price as if they are selling a completely new game. Those like FIFA, PES, F1, NBA, I want them all, but hey there will be update a year later. I always hesitate to pay when this comes to my mind.

soldant
29-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Battlefield 3, because I just don't care. Played the beta, sort of enjoyed it, but didn't make me want to buy it. Also finally stopped playing TF2 altogether after playing it pretty much nightly since the public beta's first release.

Grizzly
29-10-2011, 08:08 AM
I am currently not playing Fate of the World. It reminds me of that taunt from Age of Empires 2:

"You play two hours to die like this?"

Danny252
29-10-2011, 01:54 PM
SOTS2 - because the release sadly sounds like a bit of a shambles.

And because I'm a poor student™ who needs to save my monies for things like "not starving" and "turning the heating on when icicles start forming on the bannister".

Wooly Wugga Wugga
29-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Skyrim because it hasn't been released yet.

pakoito
29-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Everything, my rig is broken :(

Hensler
29-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Sword the Stars 2. Was really looking forward to procrastinating all my work over the course of the weekend and playing it, but it just sounds too broken to give it a try until it has had a lot of patching done.

Hensler
29-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Also not playing Blacklight Retribution beta, because the server browser sucks. Did I agree to an NDA for this game? I don't remember.

Axyl
30-10-2011, 12:31 AM
BF3. Not on any moral grounds, but because my dual core (which is significantly above min spec, go figure) can't run it at a playable framerate.

Stronghold 3 because it's digital ambien.

I had the same issue with BF3 on my Dual Core. Set the Core Affinity to only Core 0 from Task Manager whilst the game is loading and you're golden.
Fixed my problem instantly and have been playing happily all day. Hope that helps. :)

On Topic.. I'm not played End of Nations, Firefall or Planetside 2....because they're not out yet.
I'm not playing Payday The Heist and Renegade Ops because i'm poor until next week.

I'm not playing BF3 at this moment cos i'm tired and posting on RPS. :P

TheRed
30-10-2011, 02:55 AM
BF3, because I need an upgrade first. 8800GT + XP = No BF3 for a while..

winterwolves
01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Not playing Minecraft or any other sandbox games because don't have time :D

Kadayi
01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I am not playing Battlefield 3, in part because it's too pricey, and in part because of my stance on EA/origin

Laughs

*gets back to mortaring the enemy into fish paste*

lunarplasma
01-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm not playing Battlefield 3 or Sword of the Stars 2 because I'm still on an XP system.

westyfield
01-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm now not playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, because all of my gaming time (and a large chunk of my non-gaming time) is being spent playing BF3.

Tikey
01-11-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm not playing sots2 because of bugs :(
I still try tho'. It's pretty

Muzza
01-11-2011, 08:34 PM
im not playing rage, because bf3's out now

Shadrach
01-11-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm not playing BF3 because it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Also not playing Red Orchestra 2, because of performance and audio issues... this makes me sad.

Nalano
01-11-2011, 09:28 PM
BF3, because it oscillates between being amazing and pissing me the fuck off. This, of course, is subject to change.

Kodeen
01-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm not playing Avadon anymore, because the repetitive map structure finally got to me.

thegooseking
01-11-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm not playing Arkham City because the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race is poor and impoverished, and I refuse to buy region-locked games for Xbox 360 when I don't know how much longer I'll be in the UK. (From what I can tell GfWL does region-lock to an extent because Live isn't available in some regions, but it doesn't actually lock between the regions in which its available. I hope I'm not wrong.)

I'm not playing GRID, which I picked up in the recent Steam sale, because I currently have only about 5GB free on my hard disk. I should delete some stuff. Or buy a new disk.

I'm not playing Ghostbusters, which I got in the Halloween sale, because there's a fight I just don't get and have got bored by.

Lukasz
02-11-2011, 01:26 AM
TW2 and DEHR as i do not have good computer to play those games... (had to sell it when i moved to different country)

CrazyEthan
02-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Batman, I am waiting for the PC version, hope it won't be delayed again

Wild Marker
02-11-2011, 06:47 PM
I am not playing Battlefield 3 BECAUSE IT KEEPS CRASHING. Goddammit DICE, my weekend was totally ruined, and I'm looking at a seond ruined weekend if the patch doesn't come out. It's the last weekend I'll have to play bf3, the next one will already be filled by Skyrim.

ZIGS
02-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm not playing The Binding of Isaac because frankly, it sucks

Althea
04-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm not playing The Settlers 7 because any drivers beyond 270.61 cause it to visually bug out, and because it was slightly unstable anyway. It's absolutely unplayable now :(

ntw
04-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm not playing most things - just seem unable to find the time to logon recently :(

Colonel J
11-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Skyrim. Not playing, not buying. Not reading the articles, instead putting my fingers in my ears and humming loudly. Especially I'm not reading the bit about it maybe being their favourite Elder Scrolls.

- Because I still haven't anywhere near finished Witcher 2 and DX:HR yet and have vowed I will do that first. Which is in turn because I am still too distracted by BF3 right now.
- Because it costs over 30 effing quid at the moment.
- Because it would suck away so much of my time I would probably lose my job and/or girlfriend.

But right now, I wish I was playing it. Fuck.

Althea
11-11-2011, 06:37 PM
- Because it costs over 30 effing quid at the moment.
Where in the name of sweetmeats do you buy your games?!

Squiz
11-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Where in the name of sweetmeats do you buy your games?!
- Steam: 34,99GBP
- Direct2Drive: 59,95$
- Greenmangaming: 39,97EUR, probably ~32-33GBP (can only see EUR prices here)

- Amazon, The Hut, GAME, possibly others as well: 29,99GBP, pretty much spot on 30GBP.

Is there any place that sells it for less?

Car to Pol
11-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Skyrim, because steam keeps pausing my download with no respect for my modest 50kb/s max speed. I can't believe I fell for the silly hype. Oblivion didn't do much for me, but somehow I'm crazy anxious to play this one.

Icarus
11-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Skyrim, because Asda didn't fucking deliver it yet, despite promising me over the phone it would be today. Doubt I'll be giving them any more business.

Squiz
11-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Rock of Ages because at first it seemed difficult, then frustrating, then easier, then boring. I must have missed something, it seemed like such a neat idea.

Also, Stalker: CoP. "Here you go, sorry, no tutorial for you. Please run around the map chasing markers. Yeah, you can't sell loot that is a bit damaged, no, not a penny you will get for that AK. Emission incoming (granted, these things are really cool)! Find shelter! Yeah, this container will do, you won't take damage inside for the first minu... woops now you're dead. Reload please."

Ravenger
11-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Skyrim, because it hasn't turned up in the post yet. :-(

And BF3, because Virgin Media have oversubscribed their network in my area again, and my superfast 30mb connection is utterly useless for gaming.

vagrant
11-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm not playing much of anything. For some reason To the Moon has stalled any desire to play games.

coldvvvave
11-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Skyrim

I'd buy it on STEAM but all Bethesdas game are not available on a Russian STEAM for some reason. I can't even buy Lonesome Road for my Fallout New Vegas( bough every single DLC when they were still available, before prices switched to local). Ugh, does that mean I have to go somewhere in search of a CD? Damn it.

Althea
11-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Skyrim

I'd buy it on STEAM but all Bethesdas game are not available on a Russian STEAM for some reason. I can't even buy Lonesome Road for my Fallout New Vegas( bough every single DLC when they were still available, before prices switched to local). Ugh, does that mean I have to go somewhere in search of a CD? Damn it.
I think you'll actually have to buy it in Russia. I think it's region locked.

Casimir Effect
12-11-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm not playing Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood, which I must be half-way through and had some momentum going, nor am I playing Blood Bowl LE, Saints Row 2, Aztaca or Sup Com 2 all because I started playing Baldur's Gate 2 again. Time does nothing to that game, it exists outside the 4-dimensional space-time we know and (currently) accept, remaining as great as it ever was. Dragon Age ain't got shit on it, and I like Dragon Age.

The Pink Ninja
12-11-2011, 01:18 AM
I am not playing anything because my gaming PC has been bust since May. I'm not playing NV where I had almost finished my first game, GTA4 or Epsode from Liberty City I had just bought, or Bad Company 2 which from the brief bit I got to play had suck single player and multiplayer will be totally abandoned. Oh, and Human Revolution.

Other than that I'm trying to hold out buying anything until the Christmas sales or when their prices have lowered. I may crack I get Skyrim or Arkham City before Christmas but I'll wait off on BF3 until the bugs ahve been worked out.

Cable
12-11-2011, 01:40 AM
I am not playing Skyrim as i'm still waiting for it to arrive, but it's the weekend here now so hopefully by monday.

Vandelay
12-11-2011, 02:06 AM
The many people not playing BF3 is saddening. You should do, it is an excellent multiplayer game.

I'm not playing Skyrim. I decided to hold of getting it, after being incredibly bored by Oblivion. I do remember a lot of positive buzz around Oblivion's release, so I'm sceptical as to whether everyone will remain quite so upbeat about it in the coming months... but it is quite tempting.

Mohorovicic
12-11-2011, 08:07 PM
BF3 is BC2.2 which was MW1.4.

So, no, it's not an excellent multiplayer game. The numbers don't lie.

westyfield
12-11-2011, 09:33 PM
BF3 is BC2.2 which was MW1.4.

So, no, it's not an excellent multiplayer game. The numbers don't lie.

Troll along now, troll along.

Nalano
12-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Troll along now, troll along.

No, no, he has a point!

Aside from the ballistics, vehicles, map size, player count, teamwork, soundscape, field of view and ranked dedicated servers, they're almost exactly alike!

PeteC
12-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Still not playing Skyrim because Amazon / the Post Office still haven't delivered my Pre-order. Looks like it'll be Monday at the earliest now.

IDtenT
12-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Skyrim. I'm starting to doubt my self-control in not buying it though.

Creeping Death
12-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Skyrim. But not out of choice. I'm just completely broke and as a result any game that has come out since October is now fighting for a place on my xmas wishlist :/ I'm so glad my parents rarely see me and therefore feel obligated to buy me a lot for xmas. Thank you guilt! :P

Althea
12-11-2011, 11:00 PM
My copy of Skyrim is still in its plastic and is currently sat in my mum's bedroom. Well, only four weeks and two days to go. Sigh.

Kaira-
13-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Skyrim, since I don't want to resort to piracy, don't want to get it for my Xbox and I don't want to pay 30€ or more for a Steamworks game. And I feel very bitter, since all my friends are raving how great it is.

Rath
13-11-2011, 01:48 AM
I was playing Fable III, but on realising that I was merely repeating quests I'd already experienced six years ago in the early stages of Fable The First, and now in the dumbed down fashion of F3 I gave up, disheartened. I may revisit it at some point as I'd been enjoying the presence of John Cleese up until then, but right now I have no desire to touch it again for a while.

corbain
13-11-2011, 02:00 AM
I just finished Portal 2, so I won't be playing that now

BillButNotBen
13-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Skyrim - because my PC probably won't run it, and I haven't finished morrowind or installed the Oblivion GOTY i bought years back yet. I do want to be in a nice sandbox word though.

Portal 2 co-op campaign - because I have no one to play it with.

Machinarium - because CCleaner keeps deleting my save files

Mass Effect 1 - because I kind of lost interest... so that doesn't count..

Hensler
13-11-2011, 03:57 AM
I was playing Fable III, but on realising that I was merely repeating quests I'd already experienced six years ago in the early stages of Fable The First, and now in the dumbed down fashion of F3 I gave up, disheartened. I may revisit it at some point as I'd been enjoying the presence of John Cleese up until then, but right now I have no desire to touch it again for a while.

Try it with co-op. Really livened the game up for me.

hamster
13-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Spacechem. Distracted by GTA Chinatown Wars on ipad. Which is, imo, 100x better than the incredibly dull GTA 4 on the PC. Sigh.

Hensler
13-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Distracted by GTA Chinatown Wars on ipad.

I bought that for my PSP and have yet to take it out of the box. My smart phone kind of replaced my PSP for mobile gaming, but maybe next time I have to travel I'll dig it out of the dust. I heard good things about Chinatown Wars.

riadsala
13-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm not playing Skyrim, as I haven't finished Baldur's Gate I & II (with expansions, all modded together).

I should really get a move on.

Dr.Honeyslut
13-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm not playing anything other than Red Orchestra 2 which finally, finally clicked with me and now I can enjoy it at last. If you've got it and you've given up on it, have another go. Once you get the feel for it it really is excellent.

Also, I'm definitely not playing Skyrim since Oblivion was such utter pony.

Kadayi
14-11-2011, 02:41 AM
I'm not playing recently bought Skyrim or LA Noire because I'm hopelessly addicted to BF3.

acidtestportfolio
14-11-2011, 10:19 PM
i am not going to play skyrim until all the official patches + the unofficial patch + all the DLC + gameplay overhauls are released.

deano2099
15-11-2011, 02:09 AM
i am not going to play skyrim until all the official patches + the unofficial patch + all the DLC + gameplay overhauls are released.

Likewise. Looking forwards to New Vegas in January though.

PeteC
15-11-2011, 04:51 AM
Still not playing Skyrim as my pre-order still hasn't arrived. Getting mightily pissed off now.

PeteC
15-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Still not playing Skyrim as my pre-order still hasn't arrived. Getting mightily pissed off now.

It's arrived!

Squiz
15-11-2011, 11:36 AM
It's arrived!If you don't mind sharing - where did you 'pre'-order?

PeteC
15-11-2011, 01:31 PM
If you don't mind sharing - where did you 'pre'-order?
Amazon. Only the second time I've done so (DX:HR was the first) and this has kind of put me off doing it again.

thegooseking
15-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Crap. That's where I pre-ordered Saints Row 3 because retailers won't let it be on Steam.

In not-so-other news, I'm currently not playing Saints Row 3 because retailers won't let it be released on the actual proper release date.

Man, fuck retailers.

Then again, I probably won't get bored of Skyrim before I get Saints Row 3, so it's ok.

Squiz
21-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Thread necromancy!

I am not playing Skyrim at the moment, since I no longer have it available in my Steam library, due to what I assume was the ham-fisted attempt of a Steam trading scam (I gave TF2 promo items for a gift of the game -> 3 weeks later the game is gone -> Steam supports says "There was a problem with the billing of the game" -> I say "Please revoke the trade" -> They say "OK").

The reason I am posting this is that I am now in the interesting situation to have unwillingly achieved what many people are asking for: To test a game before buying without having to pay for the "demo". I even had enough time to play through the main story arc with one of three characters and to spend a considerable amount of time in Skyrim with the other two.

I like the game (a lot) and am now considering to buy it after all. But I will probably wait for the next sale (40EUR is a bit much for me at the moment). I can only guess, but I think that if I had pirated the game there would be very little incentive for me to shell out at this point.

By the way, has anyone made similar experiences?

LordHuggington
21-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Skyrim. I'm waiting for the inevitable GotYE before I get it. =D

DigitalSignalX
21-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Yay for necromancy!

I am NOT playing Batman Arkham City because I've heard nothing but horror stories about GFWL and DX11 not working right. So i'm waiting for patches, DLC, etc to all run their course before I even try some caped punching simulation.

I also am not playing Need for Speed: The Run because I'm kind of burned out (pun) on driving games and I read that the Run is kind of disappointing. Same with COD:MW3 and the new Serious Sam. Waiting for huge sales as I have zero urge to shoot guns in some different way while BF3 is still installed.

aoanla
21-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Deus Ex: Human Revolution ('cause the OSX port still isn't done, with no ETA, and it doesn't work that well in Wine from what I hear).

Countless games which are console exclusives. Tch.

Icarus
22-01-2012, 12:52 AM
I am not playing UFO Aftermath because it doesn't work on Win7 64 for whatever reason :(

Birdman Tribe Leader
22-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Also not playing SpaceChem. Because I have so much work to do these days and it feels like a big ordeal to start it up and really task my brain. Playing lighter and more bite-sized games in my limited free time instead.

Drake Sigar
22-01-2012, 01:15 AM
I am not playing UFO Aftermath because it doesn't work on Win7 64 for whatever reason :(
The movies don't work, but the game should be fine. Just hit Esc a couple of times when the screen goes black and you should be taken to the main menu. There are no other movies aside from the ending.

sabrage
22-01-2012, 02:20 AM
Amazon. Only the second time I've done so (DX:HR was the first) and this has kind of put me off doing it again.
Did you contact Amazon? I've never had any trouble with them, and I bet if you threw a big enough fuss they'd give you some sort of compensation. Though co.uk may be run significantly different than it is here in the states, I wouldn't know.

Edit: Huh, read the date as 15-1 and thought the poor guy had to wait 2 months for his copy. I should get more sleep.

squirrel
22-01-2012, 03:34 AM
Gears of War

I know many of you mates despise this game, but I consider this to be a very good game. While it didnt invent third-person shooter and cover mechanism, for sure it excelled in its field. The only problem though, is that I find it so difficult to find guys to play with online. Plus I tried to run the online mode at home and connection was always lost with my 8mb online plan. Damn I cant justify to pay time rate to play on public computers. I hope Epics would eventually add bot support to it.

Voon
22-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Giving Deu Sex a rest because I still have it on CD and have not bought the Steam version of it. Same goes to STALKER. Can't be arsed to pop in the CD in the drive like a console game over and over again.

Icarus
22-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Giving Deu Sex a rest because I still have it on CD and have not bought the Steam version of it. Same goes to STALKER. Can't be arsed to pop in the CD in the drive like a console game over and over again.

Actually you can change one of the .ini files in Deus Ex so that it points to your hard drive rather than the CD/DVD drive, so you don't need the disc in assuming you've done a full install.

Similar
22-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Actually you can change one of the .ini files in Deus Ex so that it points to your hard drive rather than the CD/DVD drive, so you don't need the disc in assuming you've done a full install.
Some of the widescreen/graphics exe mods also remove the check. I use the one from kentie.net.

As for what I'm not playing, I just installed Dawn of War Platinum and the moment Steam had finished I started Minecraft. So DoW is probably what I'm mainly not playing (UFO: Enemy Unknown gets second place because I keep thinking of playing it but never get around to it).

son_of_monfort
22-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm not playing the giant backlog of Steam sale items I have from the past two years...

Gusington
22-01-2012, 11:31 PM
I am NOT playing Shogun 2 Total War 2 Total War[er] because Skyrim has devoured my soul. But I will be playing it soon. Oh yes...soon.

Polycrates
23-01-2012, 02:12 AM
I'm not playing Batman because I have a huge backlog from Steam sales anyway, I already spent my full-price-new-releases budget on the Witcher and Skyrim and Deus Ex, and the Australian pricing is even more ridiculous than usual ($100!)

TailSwallower
23-01-2012, 02:15 AM
Not playing a few games because they won't run on my traveling netbook:
Starcraft 2
New Vegas
Magicka
Dawn of War 2
Darksiders

Of course there are plenty of games from my backlog that I can play still, but it's always the forbidden fruit that we want the most.

ado
23-01-2012, 03:24 AM
Not playing PC games, and there's quite a few that I haven't even touched in my Steam library, because Dark Souls and Gran Turismo 5 are STILL diverting my attention...

magnolia_fan
23-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Bought but not playing Alice Madness Returns because I never actually finished the first one, so I'm finishing that one before Y touch the new game.
Same for Deus Ex: HR...
On my to-buy list: Batman AC, LA Noire and Alan Wake, due to lack of money and time to play them anyway. Although Alan Wake for the PC is not out yet, it will be out "soon"

LongBlade
23-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I am not playing Grand Theft Auto (and sequels) nor am I playing any mafia based games. Being the bad guy whose primary objective is to be a worse guy is not appealing to me.

Gusington
23-01-2012, 07:36 PM
^Funny in my current Skyrim game I am attempting to play an evil character because I have never really played ab evil character before. Different strokes and all that.

Althea
23-01-2012, 07:39 PM
I am not playing Grand Theft Auto (and sequels) nor am I playing any mafia based games. Being the bad guy whose primary objective is to be a worse guy is not appealing to me.
In GTA IV you're arguably the good guy.

eRa
23-01-2012, 07:43 PM
The Witcher 2. I'm holding my current playthrough until the press conference on the 26th. Hopefully new (story) content from the console version will make it to the PC.

LongBlade
23-01-2012, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the tip. I guess with three games behind it I just had it on auto-ignore. May have to look into it, though frankly, I don't need too many more hobbies.

xp194
24-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the tip. I guess with three games behind it I just had it on auto-ignore. May have to look into it, though frankly, I don't need too many more hobbies.

Helpful note: This says more about the rest of the world/characters than it does about the main character. He's nice by comparison. Still shoots people in cold blood, that kind of thing.

Nalano
24-01-2012, 02:19 AM

Aha. Ahahaha. Ahahahahaha.

No.

Nico Bellic is most emphatically not a good guy. He's not even good in comparison to the guys he kills. He's exactly like them, just better at killing.

Batolemaeus
24-01-2012, 09:23 AM
I am winning Eve again. Little fixes are nice, but with one ship class still dominating small to large scale pvp and all the bots running rampant, the stuff I care about is still unplayable.

Althea
24-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Nico Bellic is most emphatically not a good guy. He's not even good in comparison to the guys he kills. He's exactly like them, just better at killing.
He's the darker kind of good guy. He knows the world is dark and full of shit, and he knows what he's good at. He's got morals, he's got his own opinions and he has a backbone. If someone pays him to do a job, he does it, but I don't think at any point he can be considered happy to do what he does.

He's not a good guy in the way some shirtless prince with immaculate pecs and blonde hair is, but when taken in context with everyone else - yes, he is the good guy. He's the one who, aside from getting revenge on certain people for putting him in that position anyway, isn't doing what he does for any ulterior motive. He's not with any faction, he's not trying to start a drug ring, he's not part of a gang, he's not doing all of it for millions upon millions of dollars - he's doing it to get by, but also to take out the person who destroyed his life.

FuriKuri!
24-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Yeah, like that time [my] Nico Bellic stood in a diner mowing down dumbass cops until there were so many bodies blocking up the doorway it was physically impossible to get past them (not least of all due to 0.5 fps framerate). He was definately being a good guy and was just, y'know, misunderstood.

If GTA IV had any other name than GTA IV it'd have been crucified and rightfully so. I'd say it was a brilliant simulation of what'd be like to be a guy suffering from multiple personality disorder and having a bloodthirsty sociopath clawing at the inside of your skull but after typing that out it wasn't - that'd actually be an interesting game to play!

Althea
24-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Yeah, like that time [my] Nico Bellic stood in a diner mowing down dumbass cops until there were so many bodies blocking up the doorway it was physically impossible to get past them (not least of all due to 0.5 fps framerate). He was definately being a good guy and was just, y'know, misunderstood.
Yeah, because that's a story mission...

It's like Just Cause 2 - you could arguably be considered the good guy there as you're freeing a country from its oppressive leader, but you can still go around killing innocents.

agentorange
24-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Avadon, King's Bounty: The Legend, E.Y.E...all the games I had sunk dozens of hours into on my laptop - the laptop which then decided to die on me.

FuriKuri!
24-01-2012, 11:55 AM
The difference is the tone. You could mow down innocents in Mafia but the game never encouraged that sort of behaviour like GTA does. As a consequence I just didn't do that sort of thing. I can't speak for JC2.

GTAIV is just Rockstar wanting their cake and eating it. You can't try to tell a serious story in a ridiculous cartoon world where casual violence against innocents isn't just tolerated, it's celebrated.

I love Mafia and Saints Row, and I think they're two very different ends of the same spectrum. Rockstar wanted to occupy the whole spectrum and it failed, badly. The earlier GTAs were brilliant but to this day I have no idea what people saw in IV. I played through the whole thing, so by that standard it ain't awful, but I'll be damned if I honestly found anything in there that made it worth its endless parade of accolades.

Althea
24-01-2012, 12:36 PM
GTAIV is just Rockstar wanting their cake and eating it. You can't try to tell a serious story in a ridiculous cartoon world where casual violence against innocents isn't just tolerated, it's celebrated.
It's true the gameplay "rewards" you for the wanton slaughter of innocents in IV, but it's never really actively encouraged, and even if you count the police as innocents (when it's shown they're as corrupt as everyone else), then that's only the case for a handful of missions at most. It doesn't give you a mission to murder 20 random people for the sake of it. The money you get from it is a pittance, and it more often than not - even in the middle of nowhere - murder, or even just assault, attracts the attention of the police.

sabrage
24-01-2012, 12:59 PM
GTA has a story?

Nalano
24-01-2012, 03:22 PM
He's the darker kind of good guy. He knows the world is dark and full of shit, and he knows what he's good at. He's got morals, he's got his own opinions and he has a backbone. If someone pays him to do a job, he does it, but I don't think at any point he can be considered happy to do what he does.

Your definition of "good" is pretty fucking unrecognizable. Nico Bellic is a mass murdering piece of shit, never hesitates to fuck up people's lives, never once shows remorse, and only gives brief lip service to "wanting to get out of the business" while working for EVERY SINGLE CRIME ORGANIZATION IN THE CITY, KILLING THOUSANDS OF CIVILIANS AND HUNDREDS OF POLICE OFFICERS and that's just in the story missions.

You know who also gives lip service to not wanting to be in the business? HALF THE GUYS HE SHOOTS DEAD. In fact, the only justification that the game gives that he's right in shooting them is that they're assholes. If that's all it takes to sign a death warrant, then fuck, there wouldn't be a single goddamn person left in this country.

Althea
24-01-2012, 04:53 PM
When does Niko - in the story - kill thousands of civilians? If he does, it's a couple of times at most, and in-game it's either due to collateral damage, the game's fairly strange AI or the player's choice.

Niko is, from the start, caught up in a lot of crap around him. There's Roman's gambling debts which get Roman in trouble but also cause Niko to be "employed", he quickly gets the attention of a spy - and then from then on there's people like Dwayne, Playboy X, Dimitri, Patrick McReary & Brothers, Elizabeta, one of the Mafia families and even the government itself - all of whom collectively push Niko into a lot of the crime.

When he kills people, is he always the one to draw first blood? No. I'd say he's almost always taking other people's lives in self-defence, because it tends to be others shooting at him rather than the other way around.

Does he have choices? Yeah, I think some of what he does is his own choice, but generally? No. I think in order to achieve his own personal goals (i.e. get closure), he has to do a lot of shit, often with a (meta)physical gun to his head, and regardless of how you take the story, he suffers loss for it. He's no in it for the money, he's not doing it to set up a drug empire, he's not wanting to set up his own criminal empire. He tries to clear Roman's debts and get his cousin out of trouble, and he's trying to find the person who caused him years upon years of pain, anger and frustration, arguably getting Niko into all of this in the first place.

Niko isn't a stereotypical good guy. He's not a pure knight. But he knows the world is a shit, corrupt and dangerous place, and he plays the cards he's dealt. On his way through the game, he kills some of the most dangerous people in Liberty City, and arguably does a lot to invisibly make it a safer place for people - at least in the short term.

Smashbox
24-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I have trouble swallowing the idea that Niko is at all a 'good guy.'

I'm trying to remember his most heinous mission-based crimes... didn't you shoot just dozens and dozens of policemen in a Heat-style bloodbath/bank robbery gone wrong? I feel like I remember something about airport-terrorism as well?

To the point about heroism - Is revenge truly a heroic goal? I would put him pretty squarely in the antihero camp. If you think at all critically about the things he does in the service of causing pain to someone who wronged him, he's truly irredeemable.

Althea
24-01-2012, 05:23 PM
No-one's called him a hero, nor have I said his goal is in anyway positive. But it's what he's in Liberty City for. The guy he's after caused years of pain and frustration to Niko, perhaps even the deaths of his friends and the hurt to their families, if my memory isn't too bad. He's trying to gain closure on that, so that he can put it behind him and avenge his deceased comrades. Heck, you actually have the option of mercy in that situation, and you can take it.

Compared to everyone Niko does work for, he's a good guy. He's a tool caught up in a lot of Catch-22, blackmail and so on. Again, as I said, he does have a choice some of the time, but largely I don't think he feels he does. He is generally not the one instigating these situations, he doesn't choose to. The bank robbery is something the McReary family do with Niko helping them, and you kill the police in order to escape. As for the airport, there is a mission in which Elizabeta sends you to pick up a drug mule, but you're intercepted by the FIB (I think) who then proceed to try and turn you into a puddle of goo on the floor.

Nalano
24-01-2012, 06:06 PM
When does Niko - in the story - kill thousands of civilians? If he does, it's a couple of times at most

Wha- HAAA HAA HAAHAHAHAHA

Niko is, from the start, caught up in a lot of crap around him. There's Roman's gambling debts

Tens of thousands of people have gambling addictions in America. Relatively few of them solve that problem BY GETTING INTO THE BUSINESS OF MURDER FOR HIRE.

and then from then on there's people like Dwayne, Playboy X, Dimitri, Patrick McReary & Brothers, Elizabeta, one of the Mafia families and even the government itself - all of whom collectively push Niko into a lot of the crime.

Somehow I've lived in a drug neighborhood all my life without ever having sold drugs, collected protection money or shot anybody. You better check my birth certificate, because I might just be Mother Teresa!

When he kills people, is he always the one to draw first blood? No.

Of course not! First he has to chase them down all over the city in a high stakes car chase, then run up into and subsequently clear out an entire warehouse full of mooks, and THEN kill the guy he was after! It was totally self-defense!

Does he have choices?

Wow, it's a good thing you're not anybody's school counselor. "Oh, your parents are addicts and neglect you? Here's a gun. It's okay, you were born into that life."

Niko isn't a stereotypical good guy. He's not a pure knight. But he knows the world is a shit, corrupt and dangerous place, and he plays the cards he's dealt. On his way through the game, he kills some of the most dangerous people in Liberty City, and arguably does a lot to invisibly make it a safer place for people - at least in the short term.

He is the very reason they get into the shit they're in. He's death incarnate, and the best possible thing Liberty City could have done was shoot him the minute he got off the docks. The world would be a far better place without Nico Bellics in it, and that pretty much defines what it means to be a bad person.

I reiterate, because I simply cannot stress this enough: Your concept of good is so out of whack, I'm worried your moral compass is a threat to the public good.

FunnyB
24-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Didn't Nico kidnap an innocent young woman and keep her locked up for a few days? Can't remember why he did that, or if he did it on someone's orders or not....

hamster
24-01-2012, 07:33 PM
He is a gun for hire but at least he only kills other mooks who are dealers/murderers/rapists etc (from what i recall). I do remember in a mission that you have to fight your way out of an old apartment swarming with SWAT though. But putting aside the game for a minute, is that right? I don't know, i think it's fairly easy for someone to slide down the slippery slope and kill who you're not supposed to kill, particularly with a whole host of guys aiming guns at you, even if they are the good guys. Do you shoot or not? Your gang mates are shooting, SWAT is shooting back and you are also being shot at. You're a drug dealer. Never shot anybody your life except for other gangsters out to kill you. But now you have a gun and ...well what do you do? I think it'd be cool if the next GTA played on that, a sort of clean okayish guy - not a good guy, but not entirely immoral either - slowly being sucked into the world of crime and crossing lines without knowing.

But I think so far at least, the GTA games lack - what's the word - verisimilitude. The quality of being real. There seems to be some serious inconsistencies in Nico's behavior at some point suggesting some degree of moral sense and at other times, seemingly no concept of morality at all. Rather than arguing that people like him are paradoxical in that way, what-with the whole "behavior determined substantially if not wholly by social setting rather than anything else" i would argue that the writers haven't done a very good job with Nico.

Then again i haven't even come close to beating the game (I complained bitterly about it being boring) so maybe it gets better later on.

Nalano
24-01-2012, 09:57 PM
He is a gun for hire but at least he only kills other mooks who are dealers/murderers/rapists etc

No he doesn't. He doesn't give a damn. He killed construction workers because a rich man told him to. He killed cops and was armed in the first place because he expected to.

But I think so far at least, the GTA games lack - what's the word - verisimilitude.

What FuriKuri said was the main point, here: GTA's universe is slapstick. Trying to make a sober story in that simply will not work, because the result is monstrous. You play a monster. There is no slippery slope: Nico jumped in the deep end. Arguably, he didn't jump, as he was in all along. His backstory is almost as bad as his story - human trafficking, etc.

I'd say it was a brilliant simulation of what'd be like to be a guy suffering from multiple personality disorder and having a bloodthirsty sociopath clawing at the inside of your skull but after typing that out it wasn't - that'd actually be an interesting game to play!

That's pretty much Kane & Lynch in a nutshell, y'know. Psychotic episodes and all.

TailSwallower
24-01-2012, 11:58 PM
That's pretty much Kane & Lynch in a nutshell, y'know. Psychotic episodes and all.

Experiencing that first-hand playing co-op was fantastic, but overall I think it was under-utilised and/or didn't do quite enough to make the game different enough to make up for it being a bit crap. I wonder if any other games have explored this, or even played around with the idea of an unreliable narrator as the PC.

Oshada
25-01-2012, 06:47 AM
GTA IV was a great example of gameplay and story segregation for me. It's Niko in the story, the messing around in between is me. Same with Assassin's Creed (and arguably Skyrim).

deano2099
25-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Nico's actions are appaling but his motivations seem reasonable, if not good. It's the difference between Mass Effect's Renegade options and Bioware's traditional 'evil' options.

Theblazeuk
25-01-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm not playing BF3 at the moment because I had to put windows 7 on my XP system to get it installed, had to dl a 5gb update after installing it, then had to go through all the crap of installing four different plug-ins for my browser and origin updates and then Punkbuster is broken and I can't get onto any server with it active. There should not be so many obstacles to playing a game.

----------------------------------------------------------- Nico Bellic - aka my favourite GTA character.

Nico is a murderer who did what he had to survive and became inured to the killing. His dialogue clearly states that he feels empty and appalled at the things that he's done and all he has left at times is anger and the desire to just get ahead. Loyalty to his family and his friends, no matter how mutually harmful their association may be, are the last bits that he can't let go of. And life is nothing special unless he gives a damn about you. Reminded me a lot of Tony Soprano actually - and I think that's obviously what they were going for.

He's not a 'good' guy but he's a much more interesting character than the D&D-fixated morality scale of gaming generally allows. He's also not a mass murderer. At least my Niko Bellic wasn't. Some of you sound like you took your freedom to do what you like and did it, then are pitching a fit afterwards that it doesn't match up with the story. My Lt Cole spent a lot of time wandering lost in the police station, as if he could catch a killer.

Though I agree, the slapstick elements of GTA jar with this. If you just stuck to the main missions though it's not so bad, beyond the fact he's a man who obviously has worth to others because he can get his hands dirty. And yes he's inconsistent in his morality but I think inconsistency is a very realistic trait for people - especially people with very flawed moral compasses - to have. Only fiction can be expected to make sense.

Mafia had a much better main character but then mobsters seem to get a free card for keeping morals yet committing murder.

I reiterate, because I simply cannot stress this enough: Your concept of good is so out of whack, I'm worried your moral compass is a threat to the public good

You understand that he's saying Nico is 'good' as in he's relatively better than almost all of the voiced characters in the crapsack world of GTA? Nope.

Theblazeuk
25-01-2012, 12:08 PM
I think it'd be cool if the next GTA played on that, a sort of clean okayish guy - not a good guy, but not entirely immoral either - slowly being sucked into the world of crime and crossing lines without knowing.

It's a good idea and arguably that's how Mafia starts. Just a (relatively) honest taxi driver at the start, but crime pays.

Nalano
25-01-2012, 09:29 PM
You understand that he's saying Nico is 'good' as in he's relatively better than almost all of the voiced characters in the crapsack world of GTA? Nope.

She, and she isn't. He's substantively worse than the other characters, because he is an arbiter of death and destruction. Even with all those crime organizations present, that (slapstick) crapsack world is a better place with the status quo. The best thing Nico could have done in the entire game is drive a taxi for his cousin and work on his gambling addictions in a way that didn't involve shooting his lenders dead.

Honestly, the happiest time Nico had in the entire game was twenty minutes in, when he had a girlfriend, a job, and a cousin that loved him. The whole rest of the game was an exercise in showing just how far he could fuck that up.

Theblazeuk
26-01-2012, 02:11 AM
The whole rest of the game was an exercise in showing just how far he could fuck that up.

Completely agreed.

But from what I recall doesn't he go to shoot the lenders dead because said lenders have kidnapped his cousin and are going to kill him? Either way, not being satisfied with the day-to-day grind of a taxi and wanting to escape poverty in a hurry - these aren't noble motivations but they're pretty universal. In GTA everyone was willing to go for the shortcut.

I can't really think of any criminal character that you can play as 'good'. Even Garrett destroys lives when you start going for those secondary objectives

She, and she isn't
Sorry have to admit I lost track of all the people you were disagreeing with :) Plainly obvious when you look, as far as these things go. Gonna start reffering to people on the net in gender neutral terms I think.

crossangel2012
26-01-2012, 02:37 AM
Angry bird coz I just formatted my PC and don't have the installer..

Nalano
26-01-2012, 07:34 AM
But from what I recall doesn't he go to shoot the lenders dead because said lenders have kidnapped his cousin and are going to kill him?

Only after Nico went through all the trouble of seeking them out and beating the shit outta them. Y'know, for wanting their money back.

Either way, not being satisfied with the day-to-day grind of a taxi and wanting to escape poverty in a hurry

For one, they weren't poor - Roman was a business owner, and clearly not hurting for clients. For two, if every immigrant's second option was "okay, the laundry didn't work; now I'm now a hired gun," everybody would be perfectly okay with lining the borders with electric fences and machine gun towers.

FuriKuri!
26-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Nico reminds me a lot of the Postal dude in Postal 2. Humdrum, everyday activities such as driving somewhere or shoving another grease-dripping burger into your cousin's fat gaping maw inevitably turn into massacres that only end when our 'hero' stumbles back home or is killed by local law enforcement.

Althea
26-01-2012, 10:08 AM
For one, they weren't poor - Roman was a business owner, and clearly not hurting for clients. For two, if every immigrant's second option was "okay, the laundry didn't work; now I'm now a hired gun," everybody would be perfectly okay with lining the borders with electric fences and machine gun towers.
Uh, yeah, Roman was poor. You did see his apartment, right? What money he made he spent on gambling. Most of the story with regards to Roman is that he spends all his money on gambling and gets into shitloads of trouble constantly over it.

moth bones
26-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Bellic is a 'good guy' like Rorschach out of Watchmen is a 'good guy' - in his own mind. Now I absolutely adore Rorschach, I think that not only is he the greatest nasty crazy bastard in the history of comics, he's one of the greatest nasty crazy bastards in the whole of narrative fiction. He is a wonderfully written character provided with plenty of motivation and circumstances to explain how he became what he is. But he's HORRIBLE, and so is Bellic. Just because everyone else in the game is horrible, doesn't make him less so.

From what I played of Red Dead Redemption, that seems to be a GTA game that requires you to have higher ethical standards than, erm, the folk you kill (rescuing innocents takes high priority, for instance). But of course that isn't available on PC.

On topic, I'm not playing anything except Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. All those games I spent money on, less compelling than a nought pence classic.

Smashbox
26-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Shifting further offtopic:

Anyone been watching the show Boardwalk Empire? The character Richard Harrow (Jack Hustson) is an incredible example of the sympathetic monster - you really want to like him and you feel bad for his pain, but he does truly awful things. In comparison, the Houser brothers really missed the mark. I don't find Nico at all sympathetic.

Theblazeuk
27-01-2012, 01:56 AM
That show is a good example but I think Richard Harrow is the most straightforward. Jimmy is a more apt comparison IMO. And Rorscach is an interesting comparison as the whole "No compromise. Not even in the face of armageddon" approach is coming across a little bit here.

To me, Nico isn't a good guy. I don't think he ever thinks of himself as one, at least not anything better He's someone who consistently fails in all of his efforts to be one, due to his pride, his ambition, his rage and the circumstances he both finds himself in and ultimately, creates. I think you can only find him at all sympathetic if you drive smoothly enough (and don't shoot random people) long enough to hear him talk some of this stuff out - crash or bump badly and it will disrupt the dialogue I think. Also in cut scenes he tends to be mostly business from what i recall.

everybody would be perfectly okay with lining the borders with electric fences and machine gun towers

This game was set in the states right? :) And I can't see where anyone said this the only option for every immigrant/poor person.

sabrage
27-01-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm basically not playing any game that isn't on SNES.

Voon
27-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Fallout 2 because, like Mother 3, I can't seem to get myself playing it. Dunno why

Shifting further offtopic:

Anyone been watching the show Boardwalk Empire? The character Richard Harrow (Jack Hustson) is an incredible example of the sympathetic monster - you really want to like him and you feel bad for his pain, but he does truly awful things. In comparison, the Houser brothers really missed the mark. I don't find Nico at all sympathetic.

I think it was just Dan Houser and Rupert Humphries who did the story and cast. Sam produced it, though. Anyways, I did watch one episode of Broadwalk Empire. Just not from the start. Interesting show. But, don't know the characters enough to empathise them