PDA

View Full Version : What did you get in the Steam Halloween sale?

db1331
28-10-2011, 07:17 PM
I finally scooped up Amnesia for a measly $4. I can't wait to play it with my headphones on and the lights out and scare the crap out of myself later. Both Dead Space games for around $13 is an awesome deal as well, but I already own both.

karthink
28-10-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm thinking of buying a few, but I'd like to throw in a few questions too:

Is Dead Space 2 any good for someone who thought the original was fun but very repetitive? What kind of DRM (besides Steam) does it have?

Also, if I had to buy one Stalker game, which one would it be? (Also, what kind of DRM does it have)

Tikey
28-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I bought Vampire: Bloodlines (I've been waiting for it to go on sale for a while now) and Ghostbusters: The Videogame.

Vandelay
28-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I've got pretty much everything in their that I would want, expect Resident Evil 5, Dead Space 2 and Dead Island. I might get RE5, but I haven't even played DS1 for more than an hour or two, so should probably finish that off before getting another. Dead Island is still a bit too expensive, so I'll probably hold out until Christmas for that one.

icupnimpn2
28-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Picked up Ghostbusters but didn't install it. May never, since it's 9 gigs or whatever and I'm moving this weekend to a connection of "up to 1 mbit". Also got SPAZ since it's about time.

db1331
28-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Dead Space 2 was amazingly good. If you played through the first game, you will get a lot more out of it. You even get a special plasma cutter if it detects a Dead Space 1 save on your HDD. It was much better than the first. Lots of interesting areas, from an aviary to a zombie nursery. I don't think it has any nasty DRM. I didn't play that one through Steam. Origin gave it to me for free.

I would caution against getting RE5, unless you have a buddy you can co-op with. Even then, it uses GFWL, so being able to actually connect to the same game is a nightmare. You pretty much have to keep trying over and over until it works. The partner AI is terrible if you are just playing by yourself though. I mean just AWFUL.

Heliocentric
28-10-2011, 08:18 PM
The sale is okay but all of this lies in the shadows of the Christmas insanity now close enough to make any meek discount look like an attempt at double dipping.

A fair few good discounts though, I just own them already.

Slychocobo
28-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Intrestingly enough, *Nothing* And I couldnt be happier.

Rather fed up with buying games on Steam because they are on sale, I've a *massive* backlog that I've bairly touched so this is a win for self-control and saving money for me :D

buemba
28-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Nothing. I'd be prouder of my self restraint if I didn't know the reason why I didn't buy anything - I already own all the games I'm interested in (Except for Dead Island and Dead Space 2), and for the most part I still haven't touched any of them.

Probably for the best anyway. I'm already spending enough building a new PC...

sabrage
28-10-2011, 09:24 PM
STALKER: CoP (now own all three, and have yet to get more than an hour into the first one) and Penumbra: Black Plague Gold

Kodeen
28-10-2011, 09:29 PM
I just got the Bioshocks. Of course the big draw this sale would be Penumbra or Amnesia, but I am a big scaredy-cat and will not be buying those, thank you very much.

vinraith
28-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Intrestingly enough, *Nothing* And I couldnt be happier.

Rather fed up with buying games on Steam because they are on sale, I've a *massive* backlog that I've bairly touched so this is a win for self-control and saving money for me :D

Ditto. No more buying stuff just because it's on sale. I buy games because I want to play them, as in right now, or because I want to support the developer. That's it. I've got a huge backlog, and too much of it is crap I don't even really want to play. It's embarrassing, and I'm pleased to say that I've been "clean" for several months now.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
28-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Nothing because I'm on an extremely tight budget right now due to unforeseen events. I really wanted Borderlands GOTY and Terraria.

Citruspunch
29-10-2011, 12:40 AM
I bought Vampire: Bloodlines (I've been waiting for it to go on sale for a while now) and Ghostbusters: The Videogame.

SNAP! I picked up exactly the same two.

Username
29-10-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm going to get the Overlord Complete Pack, which will promptly be added to my backlog.

siegarettes
29-10-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm thinking of buying a few, but I'd like to throw in a few questions too:

Is Dead Space 2 any good for someone who thought the original was fun but very repetitive? What kind of DRM (besides Steam) does it have?

Also, if I had to buy one Stalker game, which one would it be? (Also, what kind of DRM does it have)

For STALKER I would pick up Call of Pripyat. Its the only one that isnt broken out of the box. I'd still install the STALKER COP Complete mod though.

Dead Space 2 controls a lot tighter and is a bit better of an action game, from what I've played anyway. The atmosphere is somehow less scary than the first however. I believe it also has Securom DRM since it said it was activating or something the first time. You may also have to login into an EA account the first time.

siegarettes
29-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Ditto. No more buying stuff just because it's on sale. I buy games because I want to play them, as in right now, or because I want to support the developer. That's it. I've got a huge backlog, and too much of it is crap I don't even really want to play. It's embarrassing, and I'm pleased to say that I've been "clean" for several months now.

I wish I had your self control. My Steam list keeps increasing horribly and I need to actually complete those games.

soldant
29-10-2011, 02:13 AM
I've learned my lesson from previous sales: a lot of stuff I bought simply because it was on sale and I figured I might want to play it at some point. And then I never did.

I've bought nothing because I already own the games that interest me, and none of the others are particularly compelling. I'm not going to buy them just because they're on sale.

Creeping Death
29-10-2011, 04:59 AM
I finally picked up Penumbra: Black Plague. I got Overture a while back in an Indie bundle and been meaning to get the rest of the series since.

This weekend though will be time devoted to finally forcing myself through the pant wetting experience that is Amnesia.

redspielened
29-10-2011, 05:30 AM
The 2 Sherlock Holmes games, Bioshock 1&2 and Dracula: Origin. I was tempted to buy Amnesia and Penumbra but I am usually bored of this stuff, it's not really scary to me so the appeal isn't there. I would've gotten Dead Space pack but I know I won't play them any time soon and they were 15 pounds so... meh.

thegooseking
29-10-2011, 09:47 AM
I got Ghostbusters, too. I've only played a bit of it, but my impression so far is that the writing is surprisingly good (movie writers being notoriously bad at writing for games), but the acting is surprisingly bad (given that it's delivered by the original cast; it's not terrible acting by game standards, of course, but expectations were higher).

piggydiggy
29-10-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm planning on getting an Overlord game, is there one that's better than the others as I don't fancy getting all three? Thanks

airtekh
29-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I got Penumbra: Black Plague and Requiem. Hopefully there's less combat in them than Overture.

sabrage
29-10-2011, 12:04 PM
I got Penumbra: Black Plague and Requiem. Hopefully there's less combat in them than Overture.

From what I understand, one of the two (or maybe both... I can't remember!) has no combat whatsoever.

corbain
29-10-2011, 12:20 PM
GentlemanJimStacy... What's your Steam Id.. PM me

rikdaly
29-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm planning on getting an Overlord game, is there one that's better than the others as I don't fancy getting all three? Thanks

Raising Hell is an expansion pack for Overlord 1, I would say that Overlord 2 is probably the better game but they are both fairly similar

Danny252
29-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Bioshock for something like 3.50, in yet another case of telling myself I won't buy anything else from steam until Christmas, but deciding that "it's only the price of a couple of sandwiches..." and capitulating.

Sūduruncis
29-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Nothing so far, I wanted Zombie Driver but my new credit card is not friendly with steam for unknown reason.

Mistabashi
29-10-2011, 04:52 PM

None at all in those two, thankfully. Black Plague is the best of the series and has a place somewhere in my un-sorted list of favorite games ever. Requiem is very different from the first two as its entirely puzzle-based and feels more like a spin-off.

siegarettes
29-10-2011, 09:44 PM
The 2 Sherlock Holmes games, Bioshock 1&2 and Dracula: Origin. I was tempted to buy Amnesia and Penumbra but I am usually bored of this stuff, it's not really scary to me so the appeal isn't there. I would've gotten Dead Space pack but I know I won't play them any time soon and they were 15 pounds so... meh.

Usually, I'd agree with you, but Amnesia truly is scary. Brilliantly paced and well done.

Outright Villainy
30-10-2011, 03:31 AM
I got Painkiller, Vampire and Bioshock 2. I've already played Bioshock 2, but that was on a ps3 I no longer have, and I reckon it's time enough for a hard run anyway. With ze graphics. I'm looking forward to ze graphics.