PDA

View Full Version : Half Price Demon Battles!

TailSwallower
29-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Well, the recent sale of Solium Infernum convinced me to buy it.

If you're on the fence, let me attempt to convince you:

Solium Infernum is a board game gone electric. You are one of the Lords of Hell, and currently the throne sits empty. Being the devious demon that you are, you're conniving a way that you can seize it... The problem? So is everyone else.

It is currently 50% off (http://www.crypticcomet.com/blog/?p=752). I tried the demo and bought it almost immediately.

Game page here (http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/SI/Solium_Infernum.html).
Demo here (http://sidemo.s3.amazonaws.com/SIDemo.exe).

And if you still aren't convinced, read this After Action Report at RPS (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/gameboys-from-hell/). It's what got me interested in the first place.So, who's interested, who wants to buy it and join me in battling for hell?

I'm a total newb, playing against the AI to try and learn the ins and outs of the game better (like how the hell do you increase the number of Orders you get per turn?), but I'm happy to play against whoever. I have no idea how it even works, so an experienced player organising/hosting would probably be best.

Cable
29-10-2011, 08:35 AM
I also have just bought it and i'm completely new. I'm currently studying for exams (or should be) but i'll be keen for a game in like 2 weeks or so!

Antares
29-10-2011, 05:02 PM
I've been stuck on said fence for what feels like forever. Hell will be mine.

Jolima
29-10-2011, 07:28 PM
I could join (or even help run if needed) another game. I've only played in the three games that started here on RPS a month or two ago, but I'm starting to feel like I've got the hang of it now.

PS. You get more orders by increasing most attributes to level 4 (5 for wrath, never for charisma). You can also get it from some relics or Places of Power.

theBU3NO
29-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Another previously on-the-fencer here that would definitely be interested in some games. See you in hell.

TailSwallower
31-10-2011, 03:08 AM
I could join (or even help run if needed) another game. I've only played in the three games that started here on RPS a month or two ago, but I'm starting to feel like I've got the hang of it now.

Great. I think if one more person puts their hand up we've got enough. I've read people talking about emailing turns in and what-not, so hopefully having someone that's been around the block a couple of times already will help things run smoothly.
I'll read the other threads to see how they went about things, and we'll see about getting it started in the next little while.

PS. You get more orders by increasing most attributes to level 4 (5 for wrath, never for charisma). You can also get it from some relics or Places of Power.

Ahhh. I gained an extra Order but I wasn't sure exactly what I had done to earn it. Thanks for that (may it be your downfall! :) )

@Cable - I don't think it will be a big deal. It should only take 10 minutes or so once every few days to get your orders sorted out (unless I'm seriously underestimating how complicated the game gets with real people), so I don't think it should interfere with study too much. That said, I'm happy to wait a bit until you're confident your demonic aspirations won't usurp your real-life ones.

@Antares & theBU3N0 - awesome. Keep an eye on this thread and we'll get the ball rolling soon. And take this opportunity to play some AI games - they won't connive and stab you in the back anywhere near as much as a human will, but it'll give you a chance to learn the game mechanics.

Anyone else interested?

Kelron
31-10-2011, 03:15 AM
I don't want another game right now, but check out Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com). You can share a folder with all the players and drop the files in there, rather than faffing about with email.

For time commitment, I've certainly decided to take an hour or even a day to think over my next moves before. It doesn't get complicated so much as induce extreme paranoia about what your opponents may be planning. In terms of actual time spent clicking things in game, 10-20 minutes per turn is about right (less at the start).

Sarigs
31-10-2011, 06:21 AM
I'd be up for another game if you've still got a open slot :-)

Easy
31-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm so in if there's still some space?

TailSwallower
01-11-2011, 03:57 AM
Looks like Sarigs is in. Easy, it will depend on if Cable wants to risk it, or if he wants to just wait for another game.

So we've got:
1. TailSwallower (that's me!)
2. Jolima (Minister of Defense [against my ineptitude])
3. Antares
4. theBU3N0
5. Sarigs
6. Cable, or if he want to bow out of this round Easy.

Once we've confirmed this we'll take a little vote on Map options and get the ball rolling.

Cable
01-11-2011, 04:05 AM
i'm keen exams are over in a week anyway!

Jolima
01-11-2011, 08:18 AM
If everyone PM's me their email address and signs up for Dropbox (http://db.tt/69jGjDD) (referer link) if you haven't already I can set up the game.

Options (defaults in bold):

Map Size: Choose between 12/14/16 hex width. Height is always 12.
Map Type: Picks between major map features. Great Rivers tends to be more open. Acheron's Locks has many small areas. Dante's peak has a large mountain and chasms to channel conflict. The Lake of Fire is also open, but adds a special place of power, The Palace on the Lake of Fire, which grants +1 order slot, in addition to prestige.
Place of Power: None, Rare, Uncommon or Common. Determines the number of places of power that will be generated. Public objectives and the Lake of Fire can override the None value.
Game Length: Determines number of tokens to be drawn to end the game (10/15/20/25). You can estimate a turn length of 4x the number of tokens.

I think all of my other games have been on Dante's peak, so I'd prefer some other option than that. Perhaps Acheron's Locks? Otherwise I'm fine with the defaults or anything else.

There is also the beta patch which adds more content, but it may be better to stay away from that for people's first game.

TailSwallower
01-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Sorry Easy, we won't have room for you this time, but SI seems to be fairly popular around these parts, so I'm sure a new game won't be far off.

My vote (in bold):

Map Size: 12/14/16.
Map Type: Great Rivers, Acheron's Locks, Dante's peak, The Lake of Fire.
Place of Power: None, Rare, Uncommon or Common.
Game Length: 10/15/20/25

PM sent.

If the voting doesn't work then we'll default to Jolima's choice. I like games to run a little longer against the AI, but if people want a shorter game for their first foray that's cool too.

Easy
01-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Ach well. Keep me in mind for next round. I'll just crawl back to my dark corner and sulk :)

Sarigs
01-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Map Size: Choose between 12/14/16 hex width.
Map Type: Great Rivers. Acheron's Locks. Dante's peak. The Lake of Fire.

My Votes in bold and PM sent!

Cable
02-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Map Size: Choose between 12/14/16 hex width.

My Votes in bold and PM sent!

I'm not fussed about what map we play though i've only played great rivers before so anything new would be cool

I've already updated to 1.07c or mine was like that to begin with but i can download a previous version if people don't want to play that version. (since it's the beta, i think)

Antares
02-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Terribly sorry, my fellow archdemons, but my computer's in its dying throes and it might take me a while to fix it for good. I'm afraid that taking my righteous place on the throne of Hell will have to wait for later.
Easy can have my slot, if he's not too busy sulking in his dark corner.

TailSwallower
02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I've already updated to 1.07c or mine was like that to begin with but i can download a previous version if people don't want to play that version. (since it's the beta, i think)

We'll probably be better off sticking to the non-beta version - that way we'll at least have one MP game in the 'old style' and the information in the manual won't be quite so out of date.

Cheers Antares. PM sent to Easy to see if he still wants the spot.

duff
03-11-2011, 04:45 AM
I'd happily join if you have a spot left.

TailSwallower
03-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Great! duff, you're in.

Jolima
03-11-2011, 08:09 PM
No word from theBU3NO yet. Let's give it one more day for him or a reserve to show up before starting with 5 players perhaps?

hexagonalbolts
03-11-2011, 08:15 PM
I'd be up for playing, I just bought it as well!

Email me tghclark(at)hotmail.co.uk if you need a quick response :)

Jolima
03-11-2011, 08:46 PM
That's enough for me. Game created and invites sent. To get started place the .inv file with your name into the _NewGameStarts folder. E.g. C:\Users\<name>\Documents\SoliumInfernumGame\MultiPlayerSaves\_Ne wGameStarts. You will get a .trn file created in return when you have selected your avatar which you should place back in dropbox.

hexagonalbolts
03-11-2011, 09:16 PM
I've submitted it. What happens once we have all done that?

Jolima
03-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Then I'll process the turn and you get a .sav file through dropbox, you put that in the save folder, play your turn and get a new .trn file to put back into dropbox again.

It's all described quite well in the game manual except that it is assuming email instead of dropbox.

Sarigs
03-11-2011, 10:20 PM

Which settings map wise did we go for in the end? :-)

hexagonalbolts
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I've tried reading through the manual a few times, but it's such a labyrinth. I'm scared already...!

Jolima
03-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Oh, right. These:

Map Size: 12/14/16 hex width.

I think that was the majority decision for all things except Map type which was a draw between Locks and Lake. I just went with Lake for being the one I hadn't voted on there.

Cable
04-11-2011, 05:38 AM
That was surprisingly easy and painless. Thanks Jolima for setting this up and telling us all what to do.

I'm looking forward to the game, have fun guys!

Oh also a couple of questions,
does it matter if i'm running 1.07c since Jolima is resolving all the turns?
and are we doing all our discussing and scheming via this thread and pms or is it just whatever?
and last one, maybe we should have a post with all players forum and game names (i made mine different since i just used an old avatar without thinking)

cheers

TailSwallower
04-11-2011, 06:29 AM
does it matter if i'm running 1.07c since Jolima is resolving all the turns?
and are we doing all our discussing and scheming via this thread and pms or is it just whatever?
and last one, maybe we should have a post with all players forum and game names (i made mine different since i just used an old avatar without thinking)

1. I guess we'll find out soon enough :)
2. Yeah, we can keep this thread rolling for any discussions we might want to make, but there's always PMs for the secret meetings and dirt back-stabbings.
3. Yeah, If everyone want to post their Avatar name that might be easier to keep track of things. I haven't been on my gaming computer yet today, so I haven't had a chance to sort out my avatar etc, but I'll post it here when I have.

Cable
04-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Okey dokey cheers for that.

I'm Yriel by the way.

TailSwallower
04-11-2011, 10:01 AM
My initial turn sent in.

Abezethibou is the name.

See you in hell ;)

hexagonalbolts
04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm totally not the right person to ask but I can't imagine 1.07c being compatible with other versions..?

I'm fairly sure I chose Gozom or something along those lines. See you in the inferno!

Jolima
04-11-2011, 08:23 PM
The first turn is now ready. Just replace the old .sav file with the new one to be able to play it and then copy the new .trn file back.

I won't announce every turn, so please check your dropbox at times. If there's no .trn file of yours in the top folder you have a turn ready to play.

Sarigs
04-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Oooh Lots of shinies around the map! I've not tried this build before but my guy is Sarigs this time round!

Cable
05-11-2011, 08:22 AM
There are a lot of shinies, must capture them all!
I've submitted my turn, hopefully I did it right and didn't break anything too bad.

hexagonalbolts
06-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Very jealous of all the archfiends who got easy places of power next to their armies. I'm looking at you, Yriel/Cable.

I've submitted my turn, hopefully I haven't broken anything too badly (tghclark / hexagonalbolts / gozom)

TailSwallower
08-11-2011, 01:47 AM
In case anyone is wondering I'm going to be blogging about the game here: TaleSwallower (http://taleswallower.wordpress.com/). If anyone else is planning on doing the same thing we can cross-post to each other's, and you can borrow my (painstakingly contructed) map if you want.

Not sure if I know everyone's in-game name vs Forum name, but I can add those later.

Cable
08-11-2011, 09:42 PM
That's great Tail Swallower glad we have someone recording it, and your map is lovely too.

And with regards to the places of power they will all be mine in the not too distant future so do not weep too many bitter tears now hexagonalbolts or you will have none left when I take the rest of them.

TailSwallower
09-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Was reading over at the Cryptic Comet forum and thanks to someone's post I realised how long this game could go for (months, likely). And that's perfectly fine (as long as we can all be patient around Christmas-New Year's if the game hasn't concluded by then, as people will probably be busy), but I just thought that we should probably all try and check on the game once every 24 hours. Doesn't matter what time of the day, but if everyone's consistent then it should flow nicely.

Probably should have thought of it at the start, but never mind. And don't worry if you can't get to it every day, but hopefully we can all keep at it regularly enough to get the game finished before we die of old age... And now I'm getting a mental picture of grizzled old people playing SI at the retirement home and taking all the deceit way too personally, hahaha.

hexagonalbolts
10-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I do creative writing at university so I should probably try and write a bit about it! Sorry for not giving a turn in over the past couple of days I was extraordinarily busy, I might be a bit busy until wednesday but hopefully should be able to send in a turn, and will be very free from then for the next few months.

TailSwallower
11-11-2011, 11:17 AM
I do creative writing at university so I should probably try and write a bit about it!

You poor disillusioned bastard... (I studied creative writing. Why yes, I am working retail years later, why do you ask?)

hexagonalbolts
11-11-2011, 01:25 PM
You poor disillusioned bastard... (I studied creative writing. Why yes, I am working retail years later, why do you ask?)

Hehe. Well, technically, english literature with a few modules dabbling in creative writing - not that that's going to make me a millionaire any time soon. At least I shall rule hell though.

hexagonalbolts
17-11-2011, 11:03 AM
I apologise if I'm a little slow to submit over the next couple of days, I'll be having a very hectic time.

TailSwallower
30-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Sorry guys! Just got a PM from Jolima saying you're waiting on me. I checked a couple of days ago and I was up to date, but apparently I've lagged behind now.

Again, sorry, I'll make sure I get back to checking it every evening just in case.

(Did you know how stressful it can be organising a 10 month trip to the other side of the world? Yeah, that's my excuse, but I'll be better now.)

Sarigs
30-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Who is this upstart fiend Zholmakan who dares...DARES...beard me in my own den. Your time is coming sonny!

Jolima
30-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Indeed, my time IS coming! Now best you scurry out of my way and pay your dues before I take note of you.

Sarigs
30-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Et tu Jolima? I thought you were cool dude! Now it's entirely on...!

Jolima
30-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Hey, I'm settling for taking just the one PoP here. Tsk, there's just no appreciation for mercy these days.

;p

TailSwallower
01-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Yes, fight amongst yourselves and ignore ol' chubby over here (seriously, why didn't I pick a cooler board piece?).

Also managed to get 2 turns submitted last night, so I feel less terrible.

Sarigs
02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
GNAH do I have a fundamental misunderstanding of combat here? How did you not have -8 to your melee Jolima?!

Jolima
02-12-2011, 11:44 PM
I did. 17 from base melee + 1 for random "battle advantage" - 8 for combat cards = 10. Remove your melee of 7 gives a difference of 3 which is doubled by the Golem to cause 6 damage.

Also, I told you to get out of my way. :p

Sarigs
03-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Ahhh double damage from the Golem? I'm calling shananagines! ....also i'm totally out of your way now :-)

Cable
18-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Hey guys enjoying the games so far just thought i'd let you know i'm going to be away from like the 23rd for quite a while and i'm not really sure when i'll be back at my computer with internet, sorry about that but i imagine not many turns would happen over christmas anyway. I hope that's ok.

hexagonalbolts
19-12-2011, 02:22 AM
WHERE DID THAT ARMY COME FROM? I am never insulting anyone ever again...

TailSwallower
20-12-2011, 05:49 AM
No worries Cable - I am currently typing at you lads from chilly St. Petersburg, so not sure how often I'll be jumping online. Still I'll submit a turn shortly (I figure you're probably waiting on me by now seeing as there was 27 hours transit time, plus a day to get adjusted) and hopefully we'll get a couple of turns in before the 23rd.

Cable
21-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Hey, St Petersburg that's exciting. Sweet well i suppose we'll just see how it goes then.

Yes hexagonalbolts I am looking forward to teaching you some lessons in how to respect your betters (hopefully...)

hexagonalbolts
27-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Is there a way to message players in game and propose devious plans together?

Jolima
27-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Is there a way to message players in game and propose devious plans together?

Yes, but it takes a round for your message to reach the other player and then another round to get a reply. Unless specified otherwise in advance, email, forum PM's or Steam messages are generally acceptable and preferred.

hexagonalbolts
28-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Hey, St Petersburg that's exciting. Sweet well i suppose we'll just see how it goes then.

Yes hexagonalbolts I am looking forward to teaching you some lessons in how to respect your betters (hopefully...)

Oh really?

Heh heh heh.......

hexagonalbolts
31-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Arrhhh I'm on the edge of my seat to see how this turn goes! Curse everyone else actually having real family/social lives!

hexagonalbolts
10-01-2012, 06:11 PM
We've not given up have we? Whose turn are we missing?

Sarigs
10-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Not mine! Although I have stopped checking the dropbox daily as it's been so long :-( I know it's been Xmas/New Year and everything grinds to a (understandable) halt but it's back to work time! Chop chop fellas!

hexagonalbolts
11-01-2012, 01:07 AM
It's not tailswallower's is it?

Jolima
11-01-2012, 08:38 AM
It's Cable's turn that's missing. I'll send him a PM.

TailSwallower
11-01-2012, 11:02 AM
It's not tailswallower's is it?

Even though I'm traveling around Europe I've got internet at all my hostels, so I've been keeping a close eye on it :)
The only days I might lag behind are the days I'm actually checking out of a hostel and getting on a plane to somewhere else.

hexagonalbolts
13-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Maybe something happened to him? Is there any way that someone else (perhaps a friend of a player who owns Solium) could take this go temporarily or something?

Where are you going around Europe TailSwallower? I spent the summer bumming around Asia on my own for a few months, I miss the experience so much. Sometimes I would have killed for a bit of Solium Infernum on a 36 hour bus ride!

TailSwallower
13-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Berlin at the moment, then Stockholm, then Amsterdam, then the UK for 6 months to see some distant relatives, hopefully find some work, and then continue on to Italy, France and [undecided] before hitting the States for a few weeks then heading back to Brisbane.

10 months all up.

duff
13-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Oh my God, my SI neighbour is an Aussie!

hexagonalbolts
14-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Oh my God, my SI neighbour is an Aussie!

Indeed, we should unleash the furies of hell upon their brash sense of humour, loveable marsupials and laid back lifestyles!

hexagonalbolts
15-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Hooray Cable's turn is submitted, unleash all hell!

duff
15-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Indeed, we should unleash the furies of hell upon their brash sense of humour, loveable marsupials and laid back lifestyles!

I have recruited Alastair Cook, demolisher of Aussies, as my new Praetor.

TailSwallower
20-01-2012, 07:18 PM
I submitted my turn last night, but now the main .sav file is newer than my turn. Is that because Jolima had to reupload, or did everyone process their turn quickly and my turn wasn't moved to the backup?

Just want to confirm whether I'm up to date or not...

Jolima
20-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Someone else had replaced it. I just restored the previous version again.

hexagonalbolts
27-01-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure which vile heaven-spawn was behind the rather suspicious GIANT FISSURE that was suddenly rent in hell beneath the very feet of not one but BOTH of my two legions - just moments before their inevitable glorious and bloody triumph over a place of power... but mark my words, you shall come to regret your decision when I am lord of hell and I leave you at the mercy of my infernal dominatrix!

TailSwallower
28-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Submitted my turn, but just wanted to let you know that I might not be able to submit a turn next week - online reviews are saying that my hotel in Amsterdam is lying about their internet access, and if I do find an internet cafe I'll be using it to find places to go, not playing SI.

But from 5th of Feb I'll have a constant connection once again.

duff
28-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for letting us know, have a good break from hell!

Cable
01-02-2012, 04:28 AM
Apologies for my terrible absences over my summer i was away for quite a while without internet but i should have let you guys know, also i've just moved into a new place that doesn't have internet set up yet but i can submit turns from uni until it does. Anywho i'm glad we're moving again and apologies for the delay.

Awful wacking fissure under your legions what an unfortunate accident, i wouldn't know anything about that. Must be just seismic activity, it is hell you know.

hexagonalbolts
16-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Awful wacking fissure under your legions what an unfortunate accident, i wouldn't know anything about that. Must be just seismic activity, it is hell you know.

Heheh. Most mysterious.

Sarigs
01-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Lol took me a while to find this thread needs to be moved to
Solium Infernum Sub-section really!

I believe the turns have been submitted for a while, anyone know if we're waiting on any one else or just the Host to process?

Jolima
01-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Oops, I had missed the last turn being submitted. It's been processed now.

hexagonalbolts
19-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Can you process the turn Jolima? :)

TailSwallower
25-03-2012, 01:00 PM
And could a mod move this thread to the Solium Infernum subforum so it's a bit more visible?

AvrilLavign
01-04-2012, 01:29 PM
One of the best tactics I have with dwarf is to find a prime site right next to a castle. The dwarf colonies are badly defended (just 1 shield same as any mountain). So I will invest a lot into taking such a site. That way if anyone approaches I can just retreat everyone into the castle. Of course the Dvala dies, but if I always make sure to have a rune smith in the group then I can return to re-establish the colony after the war. That one spot becomes my "Helms Deep" (last spot of defense)

Sarigs
04-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Has the game died altogether now? Think everything has been ready for a few weeks! Makes me sad as both of my SI games have died out. :-(