PDA

View Full Version : Comic books and comic books

measurements
29-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Hello there. I recently finished reading The Sandman series, which I enjoyed to the last. It's the mystery that endures, indeed. I wondered what other comics I might be suggested to read now? I have read V for Vendetta, Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but nothing explicitly superheroey. Except The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One. And now I've just listed my entire comic book library.

Anything else I might want to get into?

As for the The Sandman, I really liked its use of mythology and history to deepen myths and create a sense of something really real within a fiction. I think I'd like to read more fiction with that force of belief behind it. Hell, I practically believe Robert Gadling when he says not drowning is simple. I was putting off buying the last two books for ages and now I'm kind of sad it's over. hm.

DukeOfChutney
30-10-2011, 06:26 PM
moebius - the Incal

pakoito
30-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Fables. Y the last Men. Animal Man. Hellblazer. Lucifer (Sandman spin-off). Planetary. 100 bullets.

Kaira-
30-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Fables was very nice. Blacksad and Inspector Canardo are highly recommended. And I also enjoyed the Silent Hill-comics, though their tie-in to the game universe is barely existing.

Taidan
30-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Transmetropolitan. If there's one single series that every man, woman and child should be subjected to, it's Transmetropolitan.

measurements
30-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Ooh, words. I did wonder about The Sandman spinoffs - such as the one about Death. But somehow I just thought that the characters that are great in small doses throughout Sandman wouldn't be able to support an entire narrative about them. I'm probably wrong because Neil Gaiman is a crafty mother.

I like the look of everything suggested! I think I might just try The Incal first because a) Space Opera b) It's just the one title. Where does Fables start?

Reckon you've provided me with some safe Christmas fodder here all in all ('Tis the season to coldy list things other people can buy you!). Thanks!

Lukasz
30-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Asterix

It still so funny after all those years.

as well as
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

which really is a must read for any comic fan.

DarkNoghri
30-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Well, if you liked Year One and TDKR, I'd suggest checking out the Long Halloween. It's quite good.

Hanban
31-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Sandman is my all-time favourite. I always get a tear in my eye reading the end of the Kindly Ones.

Transmetropolitan is real good. As is Fables. Something I just finished, which I wans't sure I'd enjoy at first was Bone. A real charming story.

Still out there looking for the next Sandman though.

pakoito
31-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Ooh, words. I did wonder about The Sandman spinoffs - such as the one about Death. But somehow I just thought that the characters that are great in small doses throughout Sandman wouldn't be able to support an entire narrative about them. I'm probably wrong because Neil Gaiman is a crafty mother.Lucifer is a spin-off but the series is almost as long as Sandman itself. Death and the other one-shots are just that, one-shots.

TailSwallower
31-10-2011, 05:05 AM
Hellboy has some interesting mythology, amazing art and lots of action. You could even skip the first trade and start with the 2nd.

The Invisibles is one of my all-time favourite series. Kind of a counter-cultural, sci-fi and magick-infused romp through history and conspiracy.

Casanova is my favourite comic currently being published, and also one of my all-time favourites. Sci-fi, espionage, pop culture (but not in an irritating way), fantastic writing, beautiful art.

DMZ is fantastic, and can also be seen as fairly relevant socio-political commentary in light of the Occupy movement.

Anything by Bryan Talbot is brilliant. Only discovered his work in the past year or so, and kicked myself that it took so long. Adventures of Luther Arkwright & Heart of Empire - if Jerry Cornelius ever held your interest (even if it didn't) and/or you liked The Invisibles and Casanova.
Alice in Sunderland and the Tale of One Bad Rat are more 'real' and both are incredible but hard to describe.

Never got into Sandman or Fables, so not really sure how closely my tastes might match yours, but those are some suggestions anyway. If you like the sound of any of these I can come back with more suggestions.

Ian
31-10-2011, 11:11 AM
+1 for Asterix.

Though I advise starting with early ones because once Rene Goscinny died they weren't as good from the ones I've read.

Xercies
31-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Unwritten - Its about a Harry Potter like series of books and how this kid is the person in question and how the magical realities of the book seep into the real world. If you like the type of story Sandman is I think this is quite close to it as well. I've been really enjoying it.

Also if you can find them, the Fall of Cthulhu comics are really quite good, they definitely capture the atmosphere of Lovecrafts novels and expand them a little bit I think.

Tikey
31-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I really liked Marvel's "Earth X". Also in the same vein "Marvels" series was fairly good too.

Althea
31-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Hellboy has some interesting mythology, amazing art and lots of action. You could even skip the first trade and start with the 2nd.
Strongly disagree. Hellboy interconnects with itself too much to skip on any of the trades. Seed of Destruction is actually one of the more important trades in the grand scheme of things, especially when you get to Hellboy vol 5/6 (I forget which) and the B.P.R.D. spinoff begins, which itself is heavily linked to that first trade.

Vandelay
31-10-2011, 11:46 PM
I have read V for Vendetta, Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but nothing explicitly superheroey. Except The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One. And now I've just listed my entire comic book library.

Sounds vastly bigger than my collection, which comprises of Buffy season 8, Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale (a slight theme going on here,) Watchmen and Maus.

I was actually thinking I might try and get into them a little more. I'm also going to be getting an Ipad for Christmas, which I expect could work quite nicely as a comic book reader and as way of easily purchasing some.

Where is a good place to begin, when there is such a massive selection? I was thinking of probably starting with the more traditional stuff, such as Batman, Spiderman and Superman. As you might be able to tell from the ones I already have, I also wouldn't mind looking into the Joss Whedon run of X-Men.

TailSwallower
01-11-2011, 05:21 AM
Strongly disagree. Hellboy interconnects with itself too much to skip on any of the trades. Seed of Destruction is actually one of the more important trades in the grand scheme of things, especially when you get to Hellboy vol 5/6 (I forget which) and the B.P.R.D. spinoff begins, which itself is heavily linked to that first trade.

I read Volume 2 first and went back to 1 and thought the storytelling was far worse (mainly because of the internal monologue).
Besides, I could have sworn it was the 2nd volume that was referenced later on, not the first, but admittedly it's been a couple of years since I read any of them. Haven't read any of the BPRDs apart from the first of them set in the 40s, so wasn't aware of any links there either.

mrpier
01-11-2011, 07:43 AM
For something a bit more superheroish, try Astro City. Books of magic is another Gaiman offshoot and quite good. If you want to try some manga then I'll recommend Lone Wolf and Cub which is brilliant. For some more european goodness try Linda and Valentin (Valérian and Laureline), agents of time and space. Also a plus one to the suggestions of Bone and Lucifer.

Althea
01-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I read Volume 2 first and went back to 1 and thought the storytelling was far worse (mainly because of the internal monologue).
Besides, I could have sworn it was the 2nd volume that was referenced later on, not the first, but admittedly it's been a couple of years since I read any of them. Haven't read any of the BPRDs apart from the first of them set in the 40s, so wasn't aware of any links there either.
Well, as I mentioned there's a lot of interconnectivity. Volume 2 might be referenced later on, but Volume 1 is quite an important one. B.P.R.D. kicks in at about volume 6 with the Plague of Frogs story, which is pretty darned cool. The reading order gets a bit complex there.

As for Volume 1 having too many internal monologues and such, you've got to remember it was the first one, it wouldn't be perfect at all.

kataras
01-11-2011, 09:53 AM
For a more european take, look at the Corto Maltese series by Hugo Pratt and any novel by Enki Bilal. I really like both but especially the first is a bit elliptical (I think is the best word to describe it), as it leaves a lot of stuff unsaid.

Lucifer and Hellblazer are amazing, although Hellblazer lately has become a bit boring I think. I would also recommend From Hell by Alan Moore and his first part of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.