PDA

View Full Version : Cheerful Games

ComradePenguin
29-10-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm a miserable sod. I wear dark colours, stare at the floor a lot and rarely exercise my ability to juggle. What I'm currently playing probably doesn't help too much. The eastern European serial killer and semi-pro bowling simulator GTA IV may be exciting, satisfying and even funny in spots but it certainly isn't cheerful. Frozen Synapse does little but make me tense and Mirror's Edge shiny white future could not be described as jolly.

Thinking back over recent gaming experiences only two come to mind. The silly fun of Magicka and the unique (if somewhat repetitive) charm of Stacking on the console toy 3000. Is there a general lack of these titles about? Is it because they're worried they'll be perceived as childish and lightweight? I can't count the number of titles with ridiculous po-faced stories that take themselves seriously over the same period.

So what cheerful gaming experiences have I missed?

Althea
29-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Hunted: The Demon's Forge
It looks dark, it looks grim, it's bloody as hell, but it's a cheery game. How, you ask? Oh, just the fact the dialogue is absolutely brilliantly written and is full of jokes. It's more of a piss take of the grimdark fantasy stuff than anything.

Bulletstorm
A bit on the violent side, and with a serious plot. But that game had me howling with laughter both due to the dialogue and the gameplay itself. It's really fun.

Fable 3
Like Hunted and Bulletstorm, it's cheery in the sense of that it's a joke and it doesn't take itself seriously. Bit of a wobbly port, and a bit of a thin game, but it's funny enough. "I'd like to come around to your house for tea... And then I'll have your mum!"

Viva Pinata
This game is seriously screwed up. I mean seriously. It's an incest simulator. I explain it to people like this: You can make the pinatas have incestuous relationships, and then feed the contents of the parents to their young. I ain't saying any more.

Divinity 2
Bit of a tricky one, but it is a cheery game. It's, again, a piss take of the fantasy genre. It comes with the usual trappings of European RPGs (Hilarious voice acting, some technical issues - although I believe many were patched out - and so forth), and is well worth the time put into it.

Can't think of any others. I don't do cheery so much as satire/spoofs.

Drake Sigar
29-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Freedom Force has cheese coming out of every orifice. If you still laugh at 1960s Batman reruns, this is for you.

sinister agent
29-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Tropico. Very cheerful, colourful, jolly games, but subversive enough to avoid being saccharine.

Freedom Force Vs. The Third Reich is a fantastic game. I've not played the first yet.

Berzee
29-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Hmm, cheery games I have played, a random sampling from memory:

Jolly Rover
Recettear
A Day in the Woods (cheerful until the puzzles get frustrating =P)
I'll add yet another vote for Freedom Force (I liked the original alot, for some reason didn't like the demo of the third reich one)
Frogatto
NOLF (I played the demo and it was cheerful =)

I wish I could remember more...I used to have a policy of only playing cheery games.

I just grabbed Cthulhu Saves the World after seeing it + some other game for 2 dollars in the bargain bucket, so I'm anticipating a good bit of cheer from that 'un. =)

Any of the Mario RPG games (from SNES upwards) would be good, too -- if you have the right console(s) for it.

Finally, you can play my Magnum Opus if you want minimal effort for maximum positive reinforcement. http://www.kongregate.com/games/Berzee/one-traveler

kergguz
29-10-2011, 10:00 PM
You describe the exact same mood I was in recently. The game that scratched my itch was Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition. Adventure games are not to everyone's taste, what with obtuse puzzles and all, but I unashamedly used the hint system in the game to keep me moving. It's cheerful, charming, light hearted, and hit a nostalgia sweet spot to boot.

Wizardry
29-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Any Might and Magic game. Quick combat, not tactical, lots of things to find, places to explore, creatures to fight, items to acquire and quests to solve. Doesn't bombard you with expertly written dialogue and a complex story, nor does it bombard you with extreme difficulty. Just addictive.

Basilicus
29-10-2011, 10:06 PM
The Polynomial

Might be the best game I can recommend for staving off the blues. I had a tough year last year and there were some nights when simply zenning out to this saved a little bit of my sanity. Not necessarily a "happy" game (nor a sad one), but a meditative experience that certainly helped to balance me out now and again.

Puzzle Dimension

One of my favorite puzzle games ever, it starts fairly easy but soon gets incredibly complicated. Still, I've been less frustrated with it than most puzzle games, and the 3-dimensional thinking required is surprisingly novel in an industry that should be doing it every day. World of Goo is pretty good, too. It makes the brain work in neat ways, but doesn't have the lasting power.

Portal/Portal 2

Obviously.

Red Faction: Guerilla

Save Mars yada yada Oppression blah blah Corporate Slavery ZZZzzzz...destroy this bridge, destroy that building, watch it all fall down gloriously in the most accurately designed architectural destruction engine ever created!

Just Cause 2

Much like Red Faction: Guerilla in the freeform explore/destroy mold, but in a seamless, huge and utterly pretty world. Only drawback is the controls are wonky.

Commander Keen Complete Pack

$5 on Steam for some of the most enjoyable side-scrolling platforming I've ever played. That's $1 per Commander Keen game. They show their age, but it doesn't really matter when most of the genre nowadays is trying to emulate that look anyway. Trine is another good side-scroller, and it's utterly gorgeous.

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble

A very clever board game/puzzle game with some of the best writing I've seen in games. It comes together very well and consistently makes me smile.

Audiosurf

The best of the rhythm games, in my opinion, especially if you've got time to kill.

I hear King's Bounty is enjoyable, and I loved the 6 hours of it I played, but the amount of game/computer-crashing bugs I encountered was pretty ridiculous. I hear most folks don't have many problems with it, especially if you've got an ATI card.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is pretty fun, especially in co-op. There's a lot of goofy stuff going on in that game, but it surrounds some solid gunplay and even more solid puzzles. Titan Quest and Torchlight are also solid if you like isometric goings-on. The Wonderful End of the World is great, but only takes two or so hours.

pakoito
29-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Space Marine is all BANG BANG AAAAARGH PEWPEWPEW GRUUUUUUUUUAHHHH MY ARM RRRAWR BANG BANG POP.

Also if you're a dirty console peasant Bayonetta is a 10/10

Taidan
29-10-2011, 10:09 PM
You need a bit of Plants vs. Zombies in your life.

Or, if you think you can handle it, Peggle. If you're coming directly from some less-cheery titles though, I'd advise caution as far as Peggle is concerned, it might be a bit too much for you all at once.

Berzee
29-10-2011, 10:23 PM
You need a bit of Plants vs. Zombies in your life.

Or, if you think you can handle it, Peggle. If you're coming directly from some less-cheery titles though, I'd advise caution as far as Peggle is concerned, it might be a bit too much for you all at once.

I too was going to say "PopCap" or "Peggle" but I thought that would be like raising your hand and saying "Jesus?" in a Sunday School class. :P Still a grand suggestion, though.

Skalpadda
29-10-2011, 10:25 PM
I've been getting increasingly tired of all the bloody grimdark/zombies/war/postpocalypse games lately as well, and it isn't helped by most things that aren't in those categories often being Facebook or Popcap games (or of a similar standard).

Some alternatives besides the ones already mentioned:

World of Goo
Just lovely fun from start to finish.

Trine
Gorgeous and wonderful in it's storybook-ness.

Bastion
OK, so it's postpocalyptic and takes itself quite seriously, but it's a wondrous colourful thing all the same.

Machinarium
If you wanted to be picky you could say it's a bit bleak, but has so much heart and joy in it I'd have to hug you if you tried :)

Beyond Good and Evil
Quite a dark story but everything else about the game radiates charm.

Zeno Clash
Again a game that oozes with colourful oddness. Not exactly cheerful, but I found it quite a joyous experience.

metalangel
29-10-2011, 11:05 PM
The Little Big Adventure games were delightful, the second somehow being even more colourful.

Rollercoaster Tycoon is fun, as is Space Colony's lighthearted management.

Blade Kitten is also very very bright, colourful and witty... shame it might be the only "episode" we'll get.

Spacewalk
30-10-2011, 12:08 AM
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, it has blue skies and the only grey you'll find is the surface of the road. You even get cheered on by your in-game lady friend which may sound encouraging at first but you quickly learn that she's an insatiable hussie who dares to rank your performance. It wasn't my fault that the UFO banked left right in front of me, zip your lip wench.

sabrage
30-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Did you happen to pick up that Indie Royale (http://www.indieroyale.com/) bundle? I've been having a blast with Nimbus. The closest analogue in terms of style would probably be Super Meat Boy, with its instant-respawn style of frustration-free challenge, but I would argue that Nimbus improves on that game because of the physics-centric gameplay and relaxed environment. One of the levels involves opening a series of switches in order to transport a ball through a Rube Goldberg-esque path to open up the rest of the level, and I like that your ship has no propulsion of its own. Both the music and the graphics style strongly remind me of Sonic games, and I suppose that's another good analogue between it and SMB (whereas that pays homage to Mario et al)

Wunce
30-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Portal/Portal 2

Obviously.

Your mileage may vary but I found the first game very lonely and dark, especially considering Glados killed all of the staff and eventually tries to kill you too.

Atom Zombie Smasher is pretty lighthearted and is currently on special; there is a cruelty potential though as it is often better to bomb the evacuees to prevent more zombies spawning.

cowthief skank
30-10-2011, 09:52 AM
How about Amnesia?

Just kidding... For a game all about gruesome murder, I find Orcs Must Die! to be really light-hearted.

Also, Rock of Ages.

Heliocentric
30-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Tropico. Very cheerful, colourful, jolly games, but subversive enough to avoid being saccharine.

30 People starved this year.

Recettear

You didnt keep up on the payments of your debt, enjoy homelessness.

Any Might and Magic game
Dragon attacks peasants, 400 peasants were killed.

OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Your girlfriend is hitting you because you cant drive well enough.

This is satisfying, like playing ping pong.

Berzee
30-10-2011, 01:47 PM
You didnt keep up on the payments of your debt, enjoy homelessness.

And then you woke up and it was all a dream. A dream where you get to keep all the possessions you acquired in the dream!

Xercies
30-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Anno 1404 is a good game for this, it made me feel very relaxed and happy even when i was thousands of pounds in debt.

Nova
30-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Not much of a game, but Nature Treks (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/18/relax-nature-treks-healing-with-color/) could interest you.
Definitely World of Goo as someone said above.
Driving along Ibiza or Hawaii in Test Drive Unlimited 2 is also relaxing and quite colorful.
The two new Drakensang games are pretty fairytale like, but are old-school RPGs and not for everyone.
The Book of Unwritten Tales is a cheery and great adventure.
RUSH is a bright puzzler with colorful blocks.

@UnravThreads
Yeah the gnomes are best. "You know what I like best about humans...? They DIE."

Althea
30-10-2011, 02:18 PM
The thing with the Drakensang games is that the game kind of assumes you know everything, a bit like D&D, but it's less forgiving. Putting the points into the wrong skills can stop you doing certain quests, and if you put too many points into one thing, you risk gimping yourself massively.

The gnomes do rock. A lot.

BobsLawnService
30-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Try the games at orisinal.com

Whenever I'm feeling unhappy and stressed I fire up the squirrel one ("The Way Home" I think it is calledm) and just kind of zen out with the beautifully animated squirrel and lovely music. Wonderfully calming stuff.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
30-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Just from looking at my Steam library (because I'm lazy):

Tropico 3

Trine

Total War: Shogun 2 - Yes its a game about a civil war that really happened, but its dripping with lovely atmosphere. Lots of God rays, cherry blossoms and funny ninja assassination videos. Rise of the Samurai especially so.

Toki Tori

Time Gentlemen, Please!/Ben There, Dan That!

Hmm I don't have a lot of cheerful games. There's a lot of indie ones I think are probably cheerful, but I got them in Humble Bundles and haven't got around to them yet so can't confirm.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
30-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Aren't trolls supposed to be funny?

Tams80
30-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Try the games at orisinal.com

Whenever I'm feeling unhappy and stressed I fire up the squirrel one ("The Way Home" I think it is calledm) and just kind of zen out with the beautifully animated squirrel and lovely music. Wonderfully calming stuff.

YES. Those games are so relaxing and cheerful. I might even say "Zen" like.

My suggestion is Mini Ninjas. It's just so charming and depending on your sense of humour, quite funny. Cross platform (though the DS version is different), so take your pick. The PC controls aren't that great. They work, but you can tell the game was designed for a console, so an Xbox 360 gamepad might be a good idea if you play it on the PC. The Wii version is a bit more energetic to play, whereas the others are more laid back.

Don't get it on Steam though. The boxed copy might take a few days to arrive, but it is a third of the price and you get a box.

Wunce
31-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Oh I should mention Osmos, but its difficulty soon makes it well nigh impossible to play in a laid back manner.

The chill music and simplicity of Osmos may be interpreted by some as more eerie rather than cheerful however.

DigitalSignalX
31-10-2011, 04:58 AM
Eastern European serial killer and semi-pro bowling simulator GTA IV

I lolled

Peggle, Trine and maybe Book of Unwritten Tales (haven't played it yet) are worth a shot for a cheer fix.

siegarettes
31-10-2011, 05:05 AM
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, it has blue skies and the only grey you'll find is the surface of the road. You even get cheered on by your in-game lady friend which may sound encouraging at first but you quickly learn that she's an insatiable hussie who dares to rank your performance. It wasn't my fault that the UFO banked left right in front of me, zip your lip wench.

I second this. I can't even call this a racing game. It is a pure driving game. About driving fast and enjoying the ride.

Other than that I'd pick up Machinarium and if you have a Wii, the new Kirby, which is possibly crafted from smiles and the laughter of children.

and those Orinsal games. My favorite is the one with the tiny chicks.

Ian
31-10-2011, 11:08 AM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/06/27/sunny-day-sky-ultrakiss-webgame-hugs/

The music, the sunny-ness, the teddy bear. ^_^

c-Row
31-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Aren't trolls supposed to be funny?

Most internet forums would collapse of laughter if it were so.

Citruspunch
31-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Battlefield 2: Bad company. Single player campaign
Some of the lines are trite and obvious, but take it slow and listen to the conversational banter between the characters when they're waiting for you. Great dialogue, made the whole SP campaign worth while.

Dungeon Keeper
well worth it just for the intro dialogues

Lego : Star Wars / Harry Potter / Any
The Traveler's Tales Lego games frequently throw gags in left right and center. Plus the replay value is huge. I've not played SW:Ep 1-3, but love 4-6.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
31-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Most internet forums would collapse of laughter if it were so.

Just to be clear, the post I was referencing was deleted.

slick_101
31-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I find Tf2 on a brilliant server with a good community seems to cheer me up a bit. the regulars are generally a friendly bunch and all you need is a mic to join in the banter

squareking
31-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Eversion!

D:

SephKing
31-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Hmmm, that's actually a suprisingly difficulty question. Just scanned through all my games on here and there are very few, if any at all, that you'd describe as cheery.

With the possible exception of:
The Next Big Thing
Sam & Max
&
Ghostbusters

Smashbox
31-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Spore is a cheerful, if flawed, game.

slick_101
31-10-2011, 11:00 PM
yeah I agree with this. its a brilliant game to muck around with But I always restarted as soon as I got into space. Was a lot more fun in the first few stages.

Keep
31-10-2011, 11:05 PM

But what could have been! Just a game that focussed on one aspect - (proper) evolution - would've won my heart. Le sigh.

Cheerful games? Startopia? Little Big Adventure? I think of them with smiles and fuzzy feelings.

fireplane
08-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Psychonauts!

Theme Hospital was cheery. I think Roller Coaster Tycoon would count too. It's not for PC (yet), but Scribblenauts is delightful.

acidtestportfolio
08-11-2011, 06:06 PM
blocks that matter

sk2k
08-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Ancients of Ooga
Bob Came in Pieces
Solar 2
BEEP

Pertusaria
27-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Kingdom of Loathing has a cheerfully cynical sense of humour and constantly pokes fun at popular culture.

Munchkin (a card game) is good if you have friends to play with, particularly if you've played any roleplaying or dungeon-crawling game. It's very easy, so the friends don't have to be gamers, but they won't get as many of the references if they aren't.

Little Big Planet is incredibly cheerful, but like several games mentioned here, not available for the PC so far.

The Several Journeys of Reemus is a series of free Flash games, available on Kongregate and elsewhere. Fun, lighthearted point-and-click adventure with a few tricky puzzles.

I find Desktop Dungeons to be cheerful, particularly in its alpha incarnation which has cute retro graphics and absolutely no pretence at a plot.

I always recommend Discworld MUD - free, will run on any computer with even a bad Internet connection, and you don't have to have read the Terry Pratchett series, although it helps. It has a very friendly, helpful community.

Memph
27-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Sonic Generations.

Bright, colourful, happy, fun.

Heliocentric
27-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Orcs must Die is cheerful... Unless you are an orc I guess.
It's funny how hard I am finding a happy game.
Minecraft in creative mode and garrys mod are both fun lego-a-likes.
Lots of racing games, trackmania outrun, even burnout yes you can crash but it's not a violent matter.
Blocks that matter is a good call too.

Nova
27-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I'd say a cheerful game and a colourful game is not exactly the same. That gets mixed up here quite a lot.
Even if Limbo would burst with colours it wouldn't be cheerful.

Well, but maybe what people find cheerful varies just greatly.

DaftPunk
27-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Viva Pinata is cheerful game,manhunt 1 as well :x

b0rsuk
28-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Teeworlds

It's a 2D multiplayer shooter with overwhelmingly cute graphics. And it makes Quake look slow. If you ever wondered how did Behemot the cat feel when he was swinging on a ceiling lamp while shooting a policeman with his browning, now you have a chance. Oh, and it's free.

http://www.teeworlds.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6L-sL3W0PM

QuantaCat
28-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Yes, and Anno 2070 should be the same only in a modern setting.

Also, SAINTS ROW THE THIRD. It is teh crazy funnehs, though I wouldnt go as far and say it is comedy gold.

Lambchops
28-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Little Big Adventure 2. Take that bouncy sasage enemy, I just hit you with my magic ball.

OK . . . that just made it sound rude.

Also don't forger Robot Unicorn Attack!

Berzee
28-11-2011, 09:17 PM
By way of browser games, did anyone mention Miami Shark yet?

Hensler
28-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Diablo 3, whenever it comes out.

Spacewalk
29-11-2011, 01:54 AM
RunMan: Race Around the World (http://whatareyouwait.info/) is excessively cheerful and should be played by everyone because it would be weird not to. You aren't a weirdo are you, of course not.

magnolia_fan
01-12-2011, 10:56 PM
My game (http://www.thedomaginarium.com/steroids.html):D It has countless Unreal Engine-powered tiny big-head shirtless dudes, soldiers and monkeys you can kill.

Krans
01-12-2011, 11:45 PM
I've lost my copy of Startopia. If someone re-releases it, I will tell them to SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Hensler
02-12-2011, 02:39 AM
I've lost my copy of Startopia. If someone re-releases it, I will tell them to SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

You can still buy new copies on Amazon for $6.99. It worked fine for me with Vista 64 bit, haven't played it since I upgraded to Windows 7.

fanatic4k
02-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Space Marine is all BANG BANG AAAAARGH PEWPEWPEW GRUUUUUUUUUAHHHH MY ARM RRRAWR BANG BANG POP.

Also if you're a dirty console peasant Bayonetta is a 10/10

Nice suggestion Lol!

Voon
02-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Plants vs. Zombies, Bastion, Psychonauts (well, maybe), RollerCoaster Tycoon, Monkey Island, Serious Sam with Kids/Hippie mode, err... Saints Row the Third

also, if you count games other than PC, Earthbound. well, before the final boss fight though

Spakkenkhrist
02-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Psychonauts, Trine and VVVVVV, all bursting with colour and character.

Riaktion
02-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Renegade Ops.. Loads of fun and cheery in its OTT cheese.