PDA

View Full Version : Which game has the best magickal fireball explosions?

Berzee
29-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Last night I was thinking hard about this most significant of questions. I wanted to play a game where I could be, or have on my team, a magician of immense power who could blow things up. But I couldn't really think of many, at least not near at hand. I hope you will suggest to me the games that allow you to perform the most awe-inspiring feats of magical destruction (if you really want to mention other non-magical games that's alright I suppose, but I'm definitely in the wizardy mood and definitely not in a bazooka-y mood presently =) Some of the ones I considered and discarded are below, with thoughts as to why they cannot possibly compete for the grand prize...

Oblivion takes multiple fireballs per enemy (obviously too wimpy) and the fireballs you throw never look GIGANTIC.

I considered Jedi Outcast/Academy with Force Lightning, which would be pretty good, but even then I know I would spend a lot of time not blowing things up. (The fact that I considered it suggests that it doesn't necessarily need to be fireballs, just massively unfair magical destruction).

Neverwinter Nights 2 would of course let me make a wizard, but D&D is balanced for all classes to be good, which means the fireballs can never be that much better than a sword.

Aesthetically, Dark Age of Camelot's fire wizard spells had some nice noise and flash to them, but of course that has to be balanced as well, so you're a fragile man in a linen robe.

It's not all about flash and noise, though. Some turn-based RPG of yore or modern-day yore would also be fine, but only if it was balanced so that I could destroy veritable armies with a flick of my wrist. (If I sacrifice all other skills in favor of blowin' stuffs up, I hope I will become terrifying).

Magicka gets a bit repetitive since I haven't got anyone to play with, and anyhow that's more in the comedy-bungling-explosions genre than the it's-stupid-that-you-can-summon-THAT-much-fire genre.

that's all. =T

Partly I ask this game because I want to play it, but partly also simply because I was surprised that I couldn't think of a promising candidate. =)

Doesn'tmeananything
29-10-2011, 10:25 PM
What about this little thing from Neverwinter Nights?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqEC0m-EAn0

Heliocentric
29-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Magicka, the best fireball is the one that lets you turn it into a steam ball.

Wizardry
29-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Neverwinter Nights 2 would of course let me make a wizard, but D&D is balanced for all classes to be good, which means the fireballs can never be that much better than a sword.
What the hell am I reading? Have you actually played D&D? I was going to suggest a bunch of D&D games but now I'm not allowed because apparently casting a fireball that can kill a small army is just as good as using a sword.

Jacques
29-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Diablo and Sacred would be the obvious games here.

SephKing
29-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Does Level 3 IGNI in Witcher 2 count? If so, that gets my vote (from the games i've played)

agentorange
29-10-2011, 11:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y36WDKq9_jA

Unaco
29-10-2011, 11:58 PM
I seem to recall a mod for Oblivion that did scale Magical effects, size, volume etc, of a spell with the magnitude of that spell. Couldn't tell you the name, don't think I actually played much with it, but it could be quite impressive.

sabrage
30-10-2011, 12:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y36WDKq9_jA

I LOVED Phantom Dust. Speaking of HD remakes...

Malawi Frontier Guard
30-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Might & Magic 6 has a lot of crazy AoE-spells. That game allows you to fly around throwing fireballs, and even nuke the entire map with Armageddon.

Also Morrowind allows you to increase spell size by a huge amount if you have the stats for it, filling entire rooms. Unfortunately they don't look very powerful even if maxed out.

Fumarole
30-10-2011, 12:10 AM
I know you mentioned you didn't want a bazooka-y example but I still must mention that Aliens vs. Predator (1999) had the best explosions in any game I've played. That they were deformable alone makes them pretty sweet; that they could kill hordes of aliens at once is icing on the cake.

Anyone know of a fantasy game with the same explosion physics?

Berzee
30-10-2011, 12:35 AM
What the hell am I reading? Have you actually played D&D? I was going to suggest a bunch of D&D games but now I'm not allowed because apparently casting a fireball that can kill a small army is just as good as using a sword.

Hmm, maybe it plays out differently in different computer games based on D&D. I've played things like Icewind Dale and PS:T and NWN2 and while the fireballs there are fairly good (especially when I had a full party of sorcerers, hahaha)...I don't think I'd class them near the tippy top of simply feeling immensely powerful. It may have something to do with the spells-per-day limit or perhaps the characters I chose...back when I played them I was in a less pyromaniacal mood.

By all means suggest though! Nothing has been disallowed =)

Berzee
30-10-2011, 12:39 AM
agentorange, that's one of the strangest videos of a man standing in a corner I ever saw! I've never heard of that game before, hm...curious.

Wizardry
30-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Hmm, maybe it plays out differently in different computer games based on D&D. I've played things like Icewind Dale and PS:T and NWN2 and while the fireballs there are fairly good (especially when I had a full party of sorcerers, hahaha)...I don't think I'd class them near the tippy top of simply feeling immensely powerful. It may have something to do with the spells-per-day limit or perhaps the characters I chose...back when I played them I was in a less pyromaniacal mood.

By all means suggest though! Nothing has been disallowed =)
=)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDPqSb_W6zw#t=1m58s

Devastating.

agentorange
30-10-2011, 01:54 AM
agentorange, that's one of the strangest videos of a man standing in a corner I ever saw! I've never heard of that game before, hm...curious.

Yeah that's not the greatest video to demonstrate the destructive beauty of that game (the other maps have a lot more structures to devastate), though standing in a corner like that can be a viable strategy. It is surprisingly, considering it wasn't that popular, one of the original xbox games that can be played on the 360. So if you have a 360 I highly recommend, there is no other game quite like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6zaGzxT-2k

R-F
30-10-2011, 05:30 AM

D&D... Balanced...

HAHAH.

Make an evocator and watch as you devastate armies with your spells.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
30-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Dark Messiah. Action RPG. One of the trees ends in a fireball that will launch things backwards, with Havoc Physics. Its great gun. Flning orcs off narrow paths is a great hoot.
Morrowind had epic fireballs when they explode. You enchant an item so it explodes with a 50ft radius. Great fun. Or it could be an ice ball, or lightning. Fly through the air raining them down on city guards was the normal way to spend a day in Morrowind. Also, its a much better game than Oblov.

Unaco
30-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I haven't played all the way through, and didn't use any magic really when I was playing... But Two Worlds 2 definitely has some quite impressive magic effects. All of the spells you use, you construct, by adding different 'cards' to them. You can end up with balls of pure fire, or fiery rocks that explode... Also, the physics system comes in to play with magic (and all combat).

pakoito
30-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Neverwinter Nights 2 would of course let me make a wizard, but D&D is balanced for all classes to be good, which means the fireballs can never be that much better than a sword.Sword, If it hits, maximum damage 1d6+15~ish + 5d6 in elemental damage, being a superduper unique sword you found and you specced everything on thugging. 3d6+45 + 5d6 on critical. No level needed.

Mage: 20d6 per turn before spell enhacements, 3x120 direct damage best case scenario with 3 maximized delayed fireballs casted while time was stopped lvl ~18.

Number of mages per party has to be capped in most D&D 3.X games because from level 5 they just steamroll with fireball and chain lighting, while lvl1-3 they can Charm Person and Magic Missile for reliable damage. The more mages the more times you can cast it.

Skalpadda
30-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Well, not exactly magic, but..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTSwHzuzsgw

Berzee
30-10-2011, 01:50 PM
But how's come when I was playing NWN2, my monk and warrior seemed to be doing much better than my mages? Sounds like I was just a fool at building proper wizards. o_O This challenges all the things I know! I should look at MotB or original NWN2 again...though of course now I have plenty of other avenues to explore as well. Avenues of DANGER.

Edit: The Cheerful Games thread reminds me that Freedom Force, in fact, has some pretty good ones as well!

pakoito
30-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure of how high levels are implemented in NWN or TOEE, but that's part of the D&D 3.X system. And I lied a bit, you have 3 attacks per turn by the moment that wizard is 15.

bwion
30-10-2011, 05:46 PM
D&D is balanced (or, if you prefer, "balanced") with the expectation that wizards and fighters will be collaborating, not with the expectation that one of them will be wandering around on their own.

As for the actual topic, Titan Quest has some excellent fireballs. (Earth mastery, Molten Orb, have skeleton bits raining down all around you, ahahaha, etc.)

Burning Man
30-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Dragon Age Origins had some really nice fireballs. Not to mention mile high towers of flame. You can even combine storms of flame, ice and electricity to produce a STORM OF THE CENTURY! which looks and sounds badass.

Hensler
30-10-2011, 06:28 PM
The first Freedom Force game had a fireball spell that caused anything it hit to explode and start a chain reaction of anything the explosion touched exploding and so on. If everything lined up right, you could destroy have the map on one turn with that thing.

DigitalSignalX
31-10-2011, 05:58 AM
I liked the Fireballs in DA:O and DA2, they have to be strategic and well timed attacks either as a opening salvo or after you managed some successful crowd control.

In Diablo 2, it was a superb go-to primary attack for sorces that worked well even into the late game. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action for D3.

Vexing Vision
31-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. Morrowind and Daggerfall had completely free magic system where you took an effect and then scaled it any dimension you wanted. While Oblivion balanced the hell out of this and Morrowind had steep costs associated with it, a specced mage-character in Daggerfall was able to create a fireball that had the radius of a small village while also inflicting -100% fire damage resistance on everyone affected for a lovely "this village dies NOW" evil magic rampages.

Another old game was Crossfire (the UNIX D&D-nethack-like version, not that silly shooter of the same name). Fireballs came in three sizes: Small, Medium and Large, where Large Fireballs would fill several screens. My favourite: A fire-immune Fireborn using Large Fireballs as his favourite close combat spell.

Berzee
31-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Crossfire

That sounds like the second-most-awesome Crossfire ever!
Most awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Vexing Vision
31-10-2011, 01:46 PM
That sounds like the second-most-awesome Crossfire ever!
Most awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

That's indeed very cool.

Anyway, I just found out that Crossfire RPG is still under development! So go for it and grab most awesome destructive spells of ever.
http://crossfire.real-time.com/info/index.html

The Mechanical Aggressor
31-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I know it was mentioned and dismissed in the first post, but I've been replaying Jedi Academy recently and I think it does a really good job of making you feel like a badass magic user. By the middle of the game I was using Force Lightning for every encounter. At level 3, Force lightning hurls anyone in it's path through the air and leaves them broken on the ground with lightning still sparking through their lifeless forms. After getting the last level of Force lightning, you only need to draw your lightsaber to deal with other Force users. It's basically the best UNLIMITED POWAH!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpAcanUJX7s) simulator there is.

Jockie
31-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Fable 3 has a system whereby the longer you hold down the button, the more powerful a spell becomes and it has a very large power-cap on it. You can pretty much immolate the whole screen with a charged fireball.

karthink
31-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Someone brought up Jedi Academy, so:

No fireballs, but KOTOR 2 for mage action. The leveling system is hilariously broken in that by the time you hit level 18, you can clear entire battlefields with a couple of force storms.

Citruspunch
31-10-2011, 10:37 PM
loved the fire effects in NWN2