PDA

View Full Version : A PC Game Sneak Peek Review: The Bridge

HardRom
30-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Please note that I'm not trying to sell the game (I believe it's free)- and I have no affiliation whatsoever with the creators. My wife wrote this review (patchy, in places) and I posted it for her as a follow up to an article written by Adam Smith of RPS.
See Adam's original review of the beta demo here: Adam's Article on the Demo (http://rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/12/escher-pades-the-bridge-demo)

THE BRIDGE

http://www.BJMassey.com/images/stories/articles/TheBridge/1.png
My initial thoughts upon loading this game were “hmmm, you can move the world, this is going to be interesting.” Let me state that I am not a “Gamer” and prefer actual games rather than a bunch of stuff to blow up. This game, I find, is the former and significantly more to my liking.

Read on for the full review:

Gameplay

The title “The Bridge” doesn’t offer any clues as to what the game itself is like- other than perhaps a visual display of what normally only occurs in your imagination. The goal is to get your character to the door, sometimes requiring you catch (yes catch, not find) a key first or push a button to unlock your door. You do this by revolving your world and triggering special doorways to reverse the gravity of yourself, the key and the evil boulders (as my husband calls them, the "Damnit") that will kill you.

http://www.BJMassey.com/images/stories/articles/TheBridge/5.png
The "Damnit"

There are on screen directions of what keys you need to use but you cannot jump- however you do have the ability to reverse time at any point; including when you die as there are no "lives" in this game.

http://www.BJMassey.com/images/stories/articles/TheBridge/3.png
This picture shows what the on-screen tutorials look like. You’ll be using these two keys, a lot.

Mini spoiler: Once you “Q” and “E” yourself awake via gravity and an apple, the game begins. Your character has a small on-screen, written dialogue with himself as you walk to your first doorway at your home.

http://www.BJMassey.com/images/stories/articles/TheBridge/4.png
This shows the onscreen tutorial for entering doors. The letter will slowly flash on and off. Very non-intrusive.

This game will invoke your mind whether you wanted it to- or not. The layouts; gravity factors, and techniques are relatively simple- but the multilevel thinking processes to coordinate them are what I enjoyed about this game. It’s almost like you can see the solution, but still have to figure out how to get there.

Gameplay: ★★★★★/5

Graphics

The graphics are simple and effective; the whole thing looks like it was sketch drawn in black and white. I think it works wonderfully since "flashy things" are not the point of this game. Some scenes look like the top is cut off, but I assure you that everything that you need to see is visible.

On a different graphical note; I love the black-on-grey theme that the designers (Ty Taylor and Mario Castaneda) went for. Another little item I truly like is the little sketch lines that are constantly in motion around your character- it’s almost as if he’s being redrawn every frame, and the designer doesn’t have an opportunity to clean up his sketch marks before you see it. These little touches create a sort of aesthetic that is pleasing, and shows that they went just a little farther than most, to put small markings of their own into the game.

Graphics: ★★★★★/5

Audio

This is not really something you can rate, since the effects are as to be expected in this genre of game in general.
Audio: User Decision

Replay

As with most puzzle type games, replaying them isn’t as fun. There are levels in this game that you could replay simply because you’re probably not sure exactly how you got the solution the first time

Replay: User Decision
** After you pass the game the first time, you have a secondary mode to explore; with significantly higher difficulty, and added twists.

Value

The levels’ difficulty increases rapidly and the user is quickly forced into treating this game like chess; sitting back and planning moves and observing how they will adversely affect the character with the added bonus of immediate trial and error- thanks to the ability to reverse time.

I don’t think a paypal donation of at least $5 is a bad price for this game even in it's beta, unfinished version. I can see the completed game being worthy of potentially a $10 pricetag.

Value: ★★★★★

Final Thoughts

Although you can’t minimize the (beta version of this) game and walk away (it seems to freeze) you won’t really want to. This is also easily remedied by closing the game instead of leaving it running when you walk away. I would recommend this game to anyone that is looking for a mental distraction or a puzzle type game

Overall
★★★★★/5

Malawi Frontier Guard
30-10-2011, 01:46 AM
This must be astroturfing. Explain yourself.

HardRom
30-10-2011, 05:50 AM
This must be astroturfing. Explain yourself.

I had to google that term.

And no, it's not. I played the game on the promise that I would post my review on some of the sites I visit. That's all.

I read the RPS reader feeds and figured I'd add this to the mix. I didn't see anywhere where I couldn't and didn't think it would be out of scope for the site.

My wife (not I) enjoyed the game and rewrote the review I wrote. I figured some people might like it.

Explained?

Wunce
30-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Although you can’t minimize the (beta version of this) game and walk away (it seems to freeze) you won’t really want to.

Wow PR speak much. This article was terrible, sounded like an advertisement rather than a review. Half of the "features" described are part of many indie games.

Let me state that I am not a “Gamer” and prefer actual games rather than a bunch of stuff to blow up.
I don't think you know what kind of site this is, nor do you understand anything past the stereotype of gaming.

HardRom
30-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Wow PR speak much. This article was terrible, sounded like an advertisement rather than a review. Half of the "features" described are part of many indie games.

I don't think you know what kind of site this is, nor do you understand anything past the stereotype of gaming.
Wow. You surely are friendly, Wunce. Let me take this time to thank you for your precious insight. You have certainly provided a worthwhile opinion. Sadly, sarcasm and double speak doesn't translate well in text.

Now, to the both of you who have without cause attacked this post: Let me point out that it was a feed on G reader that brought my attention to the game in the first place- why not go attack @Adam Smith? Oh right- cause he's not the new guy.
rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/12/escher-pades-the-bridge-demo

First: I'm not trying to sell the game- I have no affiliation whatsoever with the creators. Besides the fact that it's currently FREE. So your comment of PR is moot.

Second: It's a review by my non-shooter wife, not me- I enjoy zombie killing, joker thumping with the rest. I dragged my butt off the couch from playing BMAC to come check this notification. She was happy with the game and her review- you attacking her by saying things like "... was terrible" is very unnecessary. It shows more of your character than I think you'd like to admit; attacking someone for their opinion, writing style, ideas and thoughts.

Third: You're attacking someone because they posted a REVIEW of a FREE GAME? Really?

I already feel so welcome on these forums. I suppose I should know better- 33 posts certainly makes you a better person than me; and most certainly gives you the right to attack/ belittle my posts. Again, sadly- the sarcasm doesn't translate although based purely on your reply to my post, I doubt you'd understand it even if we were face to face.

Thanks for your time, Troll. Have a great day.

Malawi Frontier Guard
30-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Man, everything would have been fine if you started this thread with a little disclaimer, exactly those things you wrote in you explanation.
As it is your first post looked like any other hit-and-run thread in forum history, and those are never good for a forums health if left uncontested.

deano2099
30-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Let's play nice now.

HardRom - while I'm sure your intentions were good, you might want to take a step back and consider exactly what it looks like when your first post on a forum is a positive review of a game. Even if it's legit, it's still the exact sort of thing a spambot would do.

Still I'm quite intrigued by your (wife's) notion of rating some elements of a game as 'user decision' - is that a clever way to review something or undermining the whole notion of a review? I'm not sure.

HardRom
30-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Man, everything would have been fine if you started this thread with a little disclaimer, exactly those things you wrote in you explanation.
As it is your first post looked like any other hit-and-run thread in forum history, and those are never good for a forums health if left uncontested.
You make a good point. I will edit the post to mention them. Thank you for your follow up.

Still I'm quite intrigued by your (wife's) notion of rating some elements of a game as 'user decision' - is that a clever way to review something or undermining the whole notion of a review? I'm not sure.

"They're saying it sounds like you don't know what you're doing". "But I don't know what I'm doing!" She replies with a little giggle. You wouldn't know this, but this was written by a person who can't figure out voicemail on her phone, how to connect to the wifi at home, or what her passwords are on the computers we have. She's not a techie in any way, shape, or form. She tried to write a game review, which is more than most "gamers" do. She just wasn't opinionated on certain things- especially when she usually has the volume off on her PC. I'm not even sure she heard the sound effects.

deano2099; you also make a valid point. I didn't realize, however- that I needed to spam a bunch of posts before I would be taken seriously. Sadly, I can- just go into a bunch of posts and reply yay or nay to get my post count up, but I thought my posts should be valid, and actually have a point. Granted, I'm not trying to be a writer for RPS, but I only intended to post her thoughts of the game. I'd originally written a significantly more critical version- but I revoked it, since I'm not a puzzle-person; she is.

Thanks for your civility, I'll edit the post as advised.

Wunce
31-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Wow. You are surely are friendly, Wunce.

For your information I took great care trying to avoid sounding snarky but clearly I failed miserably.

"Terrible" was too harsh of a word, however compare your review to any of those that RPS writes. They show clear elegance and build up intrigue, whereas this article did not. Not once did I attack the opinions of another's, merely their writing style.

The PR comment is to do with the way Public Relations people speak in a tone that seems almost condescending- as if they can't just discuss the game, rather they must sell it with persuasive language.

When did I mention that my higher post count had anything to do with me being a better person?

Your reaction is way over the top and incredibly defensive, although I failed to provide constructive criticism due to time constraints, you do actually attack me in your follow up post rather than attacking my original post. How can you claim any high ground when you intentionally attack me?

Of course attacking my post was legitimate and I apologise for the tone at which it comes off, but your reply is unacceptable. Which is a shame because you seem like an intelligent person.

HardRom
31-10-2011, 02:19 AM
For your information ... trying to avoid sounding snarky...
I took more offense to your post than the "Explain yourself" high-handed rudeness. Specifically when you question my intelligence- "I don't think you know what kind of site this is, nor do you understand anything past the stereotype of gaming.", I found that that really set me off.

"Terrible" was too harsh of a word, however compare ... those that RPS writes. ... Not once did I attack the opinions of another's, merely their writing style.
Again, I didn't write it. I just cleaned up the formatting and posted it. Nor did I at any time say that I was applying for a job (or my wife was) at RPS. We aren't professional review writers, nor do we claim to be. In my own defense, I've posted the exact same review on several other sites and didn't receive the assault that I felt here.

The PR comment ... speak in a tone that seems almost condescending...
That was actually me suggesting to the wife to re-word certain points- unfortunately, I am a Gov't employee and have learned what downsides come with voicing a strong opinion- you must seem neutral, allowing people to read between the lines of what you're saying.

...higher post count ... being a better person?
That was me, being petty.

... way over the top and incredibly defensive, ... you do actually attack me ... How can you claim any high ground...
Sadly, I mentioned that to the wife- about stating you were no more or less wrong in your opinion, and I'd shut you down for doing the same. I apologise for that. I did not claim any high ground, only responded in kind; which is no better. You and I should both know better than to reply without explanation or at the very least; clarification- the internet is a veritable minefield of trolls and overall jack*sses with their cracked-out opinions.

...I apologise for the tone at which it comes off, ...you seem like an intelligent person.
Sarcasm is never conveyed...

Rather than further escalate an (in my opinion) already resolved miscommunication, I will graciously bow to your follow up. Your argument is convincing; I hope I was able to clear up some points of my own, and you do note your own condescension in your first post, so I have no reason to continue on being defensive. Unless, of course this reply was entirely a ruse to get me softened up for your next attack... to that, I say: "Bring it". :)

Of course, any one is able to play and review the game themselves. It seems as though that may be best, and maybe this whole topic should be removed- as all this follow up banter has clearly detached the game, the review, and the enjoyment (that my wife felt writing it) from any meaningful information.

Thanks for your time.