PDA

View Full Version : Great co-op experiences

airtekh
30-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I like my singleplayer games and I'm partial to the odd bit of competitive multiplayer too, but the experience I've been craving more and more recently is for co-op. There's just something different and rewarding about working with other players to achieve a common goal.

By far the best gaming experience I've had so far this year has been in Portal 2's wonderful coop campaign. I enjoyed the single player, but the coop feels really unique and fresh. It adds a level of complexity, but it also adds that teamwork factor as well. It feels great solving puzzles as a team, trying different things out, mucking around with portals and then rejoicing when you finally solve it.

I'm currently playing Splinter Cell: Conviction's coop story mode, and it's also quite fun. It plays similarly to its single player but again the coop element just makes it that little bit more interesting. There was a great moment we had when my partner laid dying on the ground and I was being held in a choke hold by an enemy. We needed each other's help to continue, so while I elbowed my captor in the face to create a distraction, my partner sat up and shot him with his pistol. I was then able to help my partner up with the defibrillator.

What other coop experiences have you had that you've really enjoyed?

Heliocentric
30-10-2011, 03:14 PM
If you're enjoying conviction you'll find chaos theory has a much richer if slower paced experience.

Swat 4 is the best first person shouter (not a typographical error) run in a room shout at people and shine a torch in their faces. My favoured "less than lethal tool" is an armour piercing round below the knee but more 'ethical' choices like pepper ball, beanbag shotgun and tazers exist. The expansion adds pistol whipping and a grenade launcher for when you need to deliver a flash bang 100 feet away from yourself.

Other candidates are alien swarm (the newer one is free on steam too.), Magicka (it's really different in coop, stray deaths matter less but my goodness do things go wrong), system shock 2 has coop (but I never tried to get it working though), trine (all on one pc, but up to 3 players,apparently more challenging than singleplayer).
Rainbow 6 Vegas (1& 2) are worthy of mention too.

CMaster
30-10-2011, 03:22 PM
SWAT 4 as mentioned above is one of the "ultimate" coop experiences. The more friends you can get together the better, but regardless, it demands complex teamwork and coordination. You get overall a very tense and fun experience. TRAILERS!

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a fantastic coop experience, with some brilliant coop-centric puzzles, and demonstrations of how you do amazing "playable cutscenes" without quick time events. There are several crazy moments which you and your teammate will probably get through first time - but leave you both feeling like Indiana Jones, just scraping through by the end.

SephKing
30-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Even though it's buggy as hell and is hard to get running smoothly, Saints Row 2 is one of the best coop experiences i've had. If I had to pick one coop game though it would probably be ARMA 2.

Mihkel
30-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Dead Rising 2, Dead Island, PAYDAY: The Heist, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Killing Floor, Borderlands, ARMA 2, Dawn of War 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory are the recent things I've played in coop that I like in coop. Chaos Theory has an extremely good coop mode if you can look past the shitty netcode.

Vexing Vision
30-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Magicka is an amazing co-op experience because of the friendly fire. It feels good if you send a death-ray whisking by your partner's head only to explode the monster behind him in the nick of time, because it could have gotten very very wrong!

And Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is an undeservedly underrated co-op game - amazing set-pieces, slightly asynchronous play and some of the best co-opting I had in ages.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
30-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Life. My friend and I got it for ps3 and it was well, well worth the money. Its one of the few games Id love some dlc for, just adding new levels.
The lego games are great, along with Borderlands and Diablo 2.
Play any of those games with another person and I think youd have to try very very hard not to have a great time.

cowthief skank
30-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Even though it's buggy as hell and is hard to get running smoothly, Saints Row 2 is one of the best coop experiences i've had

I would agree on this. My friend and I just finished the story last night, having played it every weekend except maybe one for the last couple of months. Fortunately we didn't run into many critical bugs - plenty of minor bugs, generally quite amusing, but maybe two or three crashes or major problems in total. The game just seems to understand what we want from co-op - from the character personalisation, including seeing them in cut scenes, to being able to generally just dick around, even going so far as to have short competitive mini-games for those times when you just want to try and shoot each other.

Magicka and Left 4 Dead 2 (better than Left 4 Dead despite what some people say) are a couple of other favourites of ours.

airtekh
30-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Hmm, I do own SWAT 4 and I quite liked it, but I've never played it in co-op before. One for me to investigate I think ...

Never played Magicka in co-op either. I didn't much like the single player and that kind of put me off it. Might give it a go at some point.

Similar thing happened to me with Guardian of Light, which I also didn't really like in single player. I tried a little of the local co-op with my cousin and it seems like a totally different game.

Trine is very different in co-op alright, the puzzles become much more involved. I'm very much looking forward to the sequel as it has online co-op in it.

Taidan
30-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I've only ever played Baldur's Gate as a co-op game, it's a great experience that way if you can find the time. (And if it doesn't last nearly long enough, you can import your characters into BG2 and its expansion.) Titan Quest is a staple of my LAN sessions when there are 5/6 of us, as well.

As Mihkel mention, Killing Floor is hilarious fun in co-op. It's like a slowed down, more thoughtful Left 4 Dead. Borderlands can be quite fun as well, with the right people, as can Serious Sam.

A lot of RTS games can be brilliant if played by teams of humans vs teams of AI players. A guilty pleasure among friends when I was younger was Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. (And if you're a big Star Wars fan, the "X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter: Balance of Power" co-op campaigns are a dream come true.)

Other than that, my favourite co-op experiences are usually related to MMOs. (And Guild Wars, which isn't technically an MMO, but is a great online co-op RPG.) There's some great "Free to play" stuff out there at the moment which are fantastic fun when played with friends.

cowthief skank
30-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Never played Magicka in co-op either. I didn't much like the single player and that kind of put me off it. Might give it a go at some point.

I honestly can't imagine how Magicka could be all that fun single player having only played in co-op. So much of the enjoyment I got from that game is from playing it with another person - the frantic scramble to cast the right spell, the accidental casting of the wrong spell, the unfortunate lightning strike upon your partner's head...

I've only ever played Baldur's Gate as a co-op game, it's a great experience that way if you can find the time. (And if it doesn't last nearly long enough, you can import your characters into BG2 and its expansion.)

Is this true? Like, the whole game can be played in co-op exactly as it would be in single player? I never played Baldur's Gate when I was younger, and have been meaning to get round to it, but would love to play an RPG in co-op.

GothicEmperor
30-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2 are both a lot of fun on co-op.

Lightbulb
30-10-2011, 05:57 PM
I honestly can't imagine how Magicka could be all that fun single player having only played in co-op. So much of the enjoyment I got from that game is from playing it with another person - the frantic scramble to cast the right spell, the accidental casting of the wrong spell, the unfortunate lightning strike upon your partner's head...

Is this true? Like, the whole game can be played in co-op exactly as it would be in single player? I never played Baldur's Gate when I was younger, and have been meaning to get round to it, but would love to play an RPG in co-op.

Yup. The whole thing. Up to 6 players but you can control 1 to 5 each. You can either each make 1 character then recruit up to 4 others. Or just make a whole party of 6.

Taidan
30-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Yup. The whole thing. Up to 6 players but you can control 1 to 5 each. You can either each make 1 character then recruit up to 4 others. Or just make a whole party of 6.

I was playing it with just one other person. (We started with 5, but couldn't schedule regularly enough to make it worth it, so we restarted.) and we went in with one character each. The game definitely shines if you leave space for a few of the NPC characters.

jp0249107
30-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Dungeon Defenders

That game is more than worth the $15 you'll spend on it. It's got epic loot that you can upgrade, pets that compliment your skills, and a great tower defense element that balances all the classes with each other.

It's also got split screen coop ON THE PC! I hook my desktop up to the TV, plug in an extra controller and bam, I've got a great game to play with my wife. Not only is it coop, but you can bring the coop online with other people. It's a REALLY good game. I've played it more than BF3 (though mostly because BF3 is still pretty unstable at the moment and I'm crashing about ever 20 minutes....grrrr...)

Wizardry
30-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Yeah. You can even recruit companions, see their banter and do their quests. Nothing is compromised.

Mihkel
30-10-2011, 06:43 PM
A lot of RTS games can be brilliant if played by teams of humans vs teams of AI players. A guilty pleasure among friends when I was younger was Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. (And if you're a big Star Wars fan, the "X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter: Balance of Power" co-op campaigns are a dream come true.

Considering RTS genre I have to say I had fun in Red Alert 3 with a buddy of mine. Pretty nice coop experience in a RTS.

metalangel
30-10-2011, 06:48 PM

I thought the whole point of the game was to cast Crash To Desktop on each other?

I recommend Saint's Row 2 for co-op hijinx.

Doom 3 with a partner could also be fun, provided you go all gung ho ooh rah. Do not attempt the same in System Shock 2's co-op.

cowthief skank
30-10-2011, 07:15 PM

Yeah. You can even recruit companions, see their banter and do their quests. Nothing is compromised.

This sounds great then, thanks for the replies. Will definitely have to schedule a time. Good to know that the experience is not compromised playing co-op.

CMaster
30-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Similar thing happened to me with Guardian of Light, which I also didn't really like in single player. I tried a little of the local co-op with my cousin and it seems like a totally different game.

The coop "challenges" that crop up throughout the game are by far the highlight - the combat is perfectly serviceable and all, but where you have to work together, either as a puzzle, or as some quick-thinking, quick-moving challenge are by far the high points of the game.

Heliocentric
30-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Magicka is an amazing co-op experience because of the friendly fire.

Alien swarm is friendly fire incarnate. I've also had great fun playing kane and lynch which can accurately be described as a coop game with a singleplayer mode.

Fumarole
30-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Raven Shield is great fun played cooperatively if you have decent teammates.

The Mechanical Aggressor
31-10-2011, 10:28 AM
My most memorable co-op experience was playing X-men Legends on the first Xbox with a friend from my uni halls of residence. Those were good times. More recently, Dungeon Defenders and Dawn of War 2's Last Stand mode have been good co-op experiences with the right team. In fact, I think Dawn of War's Last Stand mode is one of those rare games where you can regularly have a good co-op experience with randoms.

lunarplasma
31-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Diablo II was always fun. I hope that Diablo III manages to recapture that same multiplayer enjoyment.

airtekh
31-10-2011, 01:21 PM
The coop "challenges" that crop up throughout the game are by far the highlight - the combat is perfectly serviceable and all, but where you have to work together, either as a puzzle, or as some quick-thinking, quick-moving challenge are by far the high points of the game.

That's part of the lure of co-op for me; whether it's a formulated plan which comes to fruition, or a hasty solution on the spot, it feels great when you accomplish something as a team.

Raven Shield is great fun played cooperatively if you have decent teammates.

I would have thought Raven Shield would be a bit more frustrating in co-op? I remember the single-player being brutally hard.

Having human teammates would eliminate mission failure due to the occasionally sketchy AI though.

DigitalSignalX
31-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Hunted: Demon's Forge was pretty good 2 player co-op, also Portal 2.

Tikey
31-10-2011, 01:26 PM
My most memorable co-op experience was playing X-men Legends on the first Xbox with a friend from my uni halls of residence. Those were good times.

Oh man, I played almost all of X-Men Legends 2 on lan. It was a blast. The great characterization adds a lot to the experience.

Fumarole
31-10-2011, 11:51 PM
I would have thought Raven Shield would be a bit more frustrating in co-op? I remember the single-player being brutally hard.

Having human teammates would eliminate mission failure due to the occasionally sketchy AI though.Yes and no. We spent a lot of time playing the bank mission at a LAN with six of us. After several hours of frustration trying to pass the mission, several of the group left to pick up some food. Myself and the one remaining person gave the mission a try with just the two of us and succeeded our first attempt. So I guess it just depends on who you're playing with.

TailSwallower
01-11-2011, 03:38 AM
I've also had great fun playing kane and lynch which can accurately be described as a coop game with a singleplayer mode.

There was one part especially that will make this always stand out in my mind as an excellent co-op experience.

In Japan, Lynch starts to go a bit crazy 'cause he's off his meds or something. There are civilians fleeing, but he sees them as animal-headed cops.
I started blasting away at these things, freaking out, going "What the fuck is that?!" while my girlfriend's brother just sees me slaughtering civilians like a crazy person. Fucking pitch-perfect for the game.

That moment might be the highlight, but it's still good fun overall.

Killing Floor, Left 4 Deads, DoW2, Portal 2 are all good options. I actually always found the Haloes to be great for co-op, but I've only played them on Xbox, so I'm not sure how the PC version of Halo:CE goes.

Juan Carlo
01-11-2011, 04:04 AM
I love Co-op. Problem is I have no friends who play PC, so if the game doesn't have a workable system by which to play with strangers, I can't enjoy it.

--The Best (both of these are fun and have very good matchmaking features so you can easily find strangers to play with any time):

L4D2 (this is my most played game on steam. I'm addicted to VS).

PayDay: The Heist (A very good Co-op game. It doesn't have a team VS mode, though, so I don't think it has the longevity of L4D)

--OK Co-Op:

Dead Island: I really like this game single player, but the co-op has only occasionally worked for me. SOmetimes I'll find good team mates, but it's rare.

--Disappointments:

Killing Floor: It's easy to find people to play with in this one, but the gameplay is really repetitive and boring. I have steam friends who have like 200+ hours in this. It boggles my mind how anyone can spend that much time with this game, it's just the same shit over and over.

Borderlands: A good game, but co-op is only feasible if you have friends to play with. So it's never worked for me.