PDA

View Full Version : Games you bought only to validate their existence, which you'll never finish?

Cooper
31-10-2011, 02:15 PM
'Pathologic' and 'The Void' are probably the most common examples I'd imagine...

This is not a "I never complete Oblivion" kind of question (I haven't, and I won't). It's about those games you know -should- exist, that there needs to be more of to make sure games thrive as creative culture. But which you'll only ever enjoy in part.

I guess this may be a question of accessibility. And I don't think it maps over to other media. No one but the most pretentious goes out to buy some Sartre because they think they should.

Actually, that makes no sense. Buying Pathologic because it's 'the kind of thing one should be supporting' is massively pretentious.

So, what's yourmost pretentius act of money-spending-on-games?

I actually played a lot of Pathologic, but it got to a point where working through the difficulty of the 'gamey' parts (keeping alive) combined with the (wonderful, but difficult) prose simply put me off.

Maybe this is a moot question, I guess it only makes sense if 'beating' a game is a mindset you have. I'm of the opinion that makes no sense. SpaceChem 'beat' me. It got to the point where I could no longer deduce the solution with nmy reserves of logic, and where my patience for trial and error wore out. I was happy to be beaten.

But I kind of hoped I'd get more out of Pathologic, even though, when buying it, I was sure I'd probably load it up once and leave it at that...

squirrel
31-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Games these days are too complicated that you can never play it through 100%.

Berzee
31-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Apparently Frozen Synapse, for me. =P

Vexing Vision
31-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Amnesia. I dislike horror-games, but it's a game that should absolutely exist. Also, half of the Indie Bundles I keep buying.

sabrage
31-10-2011, 02:41 PM
A friend of mine gave me a pirate copy of Amnesia (living at Uni, crap internet, no money) and I got about halfway through before having a harrowing experience with the first monster I encountered. That was a year ago. I haven't played it since. However, I did end up buying a physical copy (terrible box art and all) because I support any game that can scare the shit out of me like that to the fullest extent. I haven't even bothered re-installing it; the drones on the title screen alone set my heart pounding.

That's weird, didn't even see the previous post before making mine.

airtekh
31-10-2011, 02:53 PM
I'd say the game I bought which fits the thread for me is X-COM: UFO Defense (or UFO: Enemy Unknown if you prefer).

I was buying some stuff in a Steam sale once and it just happened to be ludicrously cheap, and I just added it to my basket because I had heard others saying it was a great game, knowing full well I'd probably never play it.

I like to think it looks impressive in my Steam Library!

R-F
31-10-2011, 02:58 PM
This may be a pretentious waste of money, Cooper, but I will give you 5 to stop using the word "pretentious".

Ian
31-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I bought Pathologic.

I blame Quinns.

It's on the list though, so I'll get there eventually.

Cooper
31-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Jesus, yeah. XCOM. I want to like it, I can see why it's loved, but that tiny, tiny resolution and impossible interface means I bounce right off of it.

Planescape: Torment is another of mine. I kind of knew I'd not get along with it - CRPGs are 'not my thing.' But it sounded sufficiently interesting as a story-telling game that I went ahead and got it on GOG.
(I'm a massive believer that games are -the- most interesting form of story telling currently avaiolable to us, (and for making our own stories) it's just that many developers don't bother with narrative, and often the stories are rarely any good)

But, yeah. Even with the high-res patch I didn't persevere. Too much reading, frankly, and too much to be holding in your head at any one time (the game's not good at pointing out important, essential information from the (albeit very well written) less essential stuff)
But fucking hell is it pretty. Those hand-illustrated worlds in high resolution just look gorgeous. (Just be sure to install larger text...)

Cooper
31-10-2011, 03:41 PM
This may be a pretentious waste of money, Cooper, but I will give you 5 to stop using the word "pretentious".
My thesaurus is on the blink. Synonyms for 'unwarranted claim of importance'?
(as if any of us buying Pathologic makes a blind bit of difference)

Oooh. Internet reckons "la-di-da". I like that. I wonder if it's intended to be onomatopoeic, as in, that's all that people hear when someone's spouting nonsonse in a grandiose manner.

So, most la-di-da games purchase?

Ghil
31-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I bought The Void for that very reason, but then found out the game was actually awesome.

airtekh
31-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Planescape: Torment is another of mine. I kind of knew I'd not get along with it - CRPGs are 'not my thing.' But it sounded sufficiently interesting as a story-telling game that I went ahead and got it on GOG.
(I'm a massive believer that games are -the- most interesting form of story telling currently avaiolable to us, (and for making our own stories) it's just that many developers don't bother with narrative, and often the stories are rarely any good)

But, yeah. Even with the high-res patch I didn't persevere. Too much reading, frankly, and too much to be holding in your head at any one time (the game's not good at pointing out important, essential information from the (albeit very well written) less essential stuff)
But fucking hell is it pretty. Those hand-illustrated worlds in high resolution just look gorgeous. (Just be sure to install larger text...)

I made a real, concentrated effort to play Planescape: Torment last year, and I surprised myself by managing to complete it.

The gameplay is not my cup of tea at all, but the story is just magnificent, and it is the only reason I carried on playing; I just wanted to see what happened.

It's true there is a lot of reading to be done, but I like reading so it didn't put me off too much. My actual thought when playing it was that I wasn't playing a game at all but rather I was reading an 'interactive novel'.

The way the story comes together is like a jigsaw puzzle, and by the end of the game all the pieces click into place to a very satisfying conclusion.

Web Cole
31-10-2011, 05:00 PM
I bought the Void cause I was actually interested in playing it, Amnesia I bought cause I thought it deserved to be supported, but figured I would be too cowardly to play it. And I was right :P

Cooper
31-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I stopped playing Amnesia for about two months. I had got scared so stiff at one point I just exited and couldn't bear to get back into it. Eventually I did, and I'm glad I did.

Keep
31-10-2011, 05:23 PM
My thesaurus is on the blink. Synonyms for 'unwarranted claim of importance'?

Obnoxious. Conceited. Arrogant. Elitist. Anything, even if it doesn't really fit. Just not "pretentious" - that gets thrown around as an insult way too much when discussing vidjogames.

(I know you didn't mean it as an insult, but I'm just trying to explain why I'd hold off using it even if the context was right.)

deano2099
31-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Far too scared to play Amnesia but I want to see more games built that way: taking elements of point and click adventures but using a first-person 3D perspective. Just not scary. Make it a noir thriller or whatever and I'm all over it.

airtekh
31-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Far too scared to play Amnesia but I want to see more games built that way: taking elements of point and click adventures but using a first-person 3D perspective. Just not scary. Make it a noir thriller or whatever and I'm all over it.

I very much agree with this, Frictional's engine seems quite versatile, and as much as I like Amnesia, it'd be a shame if they just made horror games using it.

Maybe something like LA Noire, but in first-person and you collect all the evidence and solve puzzles using the object physics?

Vexing Vision
31-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Oooooh, I'd love to see a FPS Trine in Frictional's engine.

No, really. I know FPSing things is evil, but... yes! Really!

Nalano
31-10-2011, 06:39 PM
There are a lot of classics that I bought through Steam so I'd have them, but I already bought and played them over a decade ago, and I don't feel the need to replay them now.

DigitalSignalX
31-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Super Meat boy and Space Pirates and Zombies. I never finished either, but still feel I got my money's worth as both are made by relatively small firms and played exactly as advertised. It's a bit hypocritical, as I'd easily reccomend them to others despite not seeing them through where big AAA games would likely not get the same treatment.

Giaddon
31-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Maybe something like LA Noire, but in first-person and you collect all the evidence and solve puzzles using the object physics?

Give the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games a go.

Did we already talk about this?

SephKing
31-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Amnesia
The Ball
Braid
&
Machinarium

karthink
31-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Cortex Command

sinister agent
31-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Achron looks like becoming this for me. I paid 20 for it, which I haven't done for anything for years, but I've barely scratched the surface of it due to UI issues, a slow start, and general laziness on my part.

Smashbox
31-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Another vote for Frozen Synapse, but mostly because my friends don't want to play it.

ran93r
01-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Pretty much everything from the recent humble bundles, thumbs up to all those guys but yeah, not going to have time to play much of them. I don't think I even downloaded a third of what I paid for.

Tams80
02-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Pretty much every game I've bought recently (read last two years). I sit there bored with all those games on my computer, just never play them. I haven't even downloaded most of the Humble Bundles, nor most of my Steam library. As for completing a game? Errrrr...

Serenegoose
02-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Obnoxious. Conceited. Arrogant. Elitist. Anything, even if it doesn't really fit. Just not "pretentious" - that gets thrown around as an insult way too much when discussing vidjogames.

(I know you didn't mean it as an insult, but I'm just trying to explain why I'd hold off using it even if the context was right.)

Pretentious gets thrown around as an insult far too often in general, not just in videogames, to put people down for daring to look up. A high minded ideal, eh? Sounds a bit like pretentious tripe to me. Humanity would be fractionally better off if it was forcibly removed from our vocabulary until we could show that we could use it responsibly.

Nalano
02-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Pretentious gets thrown around as an insult far too often in general, not just in videogames, to put people down for daring to look up. A high minded ideal, eh? Sounds a bit like pretentious tripe to me. Humanity would be fractionally better off if it was forcibly removed from our vocabulary until we could show that we could use it responsibly.

Now 'tripe,' on the other hand, doesn't get used quite often enough.

jezcentral
02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Hard Reset (PC-only SP-only? Sign me up! Oh, grindy and and not very exciting.)
Psychonauts (I finished it when it first came out, but probably won't finish it again, now I've bought the Steam version.)
I got the Potato bundle for Super Meat Boy and Amnesia, but it turns out I won't ever play them as the moment has passed (TMHP).
Prince of Persia. No DRM, so I bought it just for that, but won't ever play it now (TMHP).
EDGE, as I had Toki Tori and Rush, but was bored after the first level.

Honourable exception: Just Cause 2. I bought it because it had no DRM and played that for 100+ hours.

CrinnyCow
02-11-2011, 06:53 PM
This is kind of why I bought the Supreme Commander games... I feel I may not ever make it all the way through either of them but I want enormous RTS games to continue being made. Otherwise, I have put a pretty major dent into any game that I've bought for "existence" sake.

The Tupper
02-11-2011, 09:49 PM
I bought the Introversion double pack (Uplink and Darwinia) on Steam even though I had the games already, because they were cheap, I wanted to support the developer and for the convenience of having them at-hand. Ironically, I'm now broke and can only dream of such profligacy.

EDIT: plus one for the rehabilitation of the word 'tripe'.

Pertusaria
26-11-2011, 09:20 PM
I downloaded the free alpha of Desktop Dungeons. I enjoyed it, so I bought the beta, then probably played the beta in earnest for about a week before getting stuck on its version of Sokoban. Haven't touched it since. I think this is an example of wanting to acknowledge the fun I'd got out of the alpha and help with continuing development, although at 7 euro for a week's play so far it wasn't exactly bought to sit on the shelf and look pretty.

Most of the other games I have were bought in order to play and get fun out of, whether or not that's what ends up happening. If I'm wavering between purchasing and not purchasing, then knowing that my purchase will make a difference to the development budget of someone who's doing a good job rather than being insignificant among thousands of others does hold some sway over me.