PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and its Sequel

vinraith
31-10-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm well aware that the consensus on these is "it's not Dungeon Keeper, so it sucks" but I'm not really expecting it to be Dungeon Keeper. With that expectation set aside, how are these? What's the difference between them? Are they technically sound at this point? The reviews are extremely mixed, to put it mildly.

Wizardry
31-10-2011, 09:21 PM
For a second I thought this thread was about Dungeon.

vinraith
31-10-2011, 09:30 PM
For a second I thought this thread was about Dungeon.

We really do need to get you a retro forum so that these confusing incidents can be avoided.

Wizardry
31-10-2011, 09:32 PM
We really do need to get you a retro forum so that these confusing incidents can be avoided.
Now you're turning on me too.

=(

Anyway, let's get back on topic.

Giaddon
31-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Both games have demos on Steam. I played the demo of the first one and was unimpressed: it's a half-hearted mash up of managerial game and tower defense (sort of like the worst parts of Evil Genius, the repelling of secret agents). I'd just check out the demos
if curious.

vinraith
31-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Both games have demos on Steam. I played the demo of the first one and was unimpressed: it's a half-hearted mash up of managerial game and tower defense (sort of like the worst parts of Evil Genius, the repelling of secret agents). I'd just check out the demos
if curious.

Oh, sure, point out the glaringly obvious "download demo" buttons that I completely, bafflingly missed. I see how it is.

Alez
01-11-2011, 01:00 AM
This game is nothing like....oh...

I'm well aware that the consensus on these is "it's not Dungeon Keeper, so it sucks" but I'm not really expecting it to be Dungeon Keeper.

But seriously, it's not dungeon keeper AND it sucks. Haven't played the expansion but from what i read they didn't change the gameplay with anything.
Even ignoring dungeon keeper, had that game never existed, this game is still boring.

You pretty much play an interior decorator with a fetish for gothic fashion. You can't even build rooms, you place objects one by one. By the third or forth dungeon it just gets too repetitive.

The heroes are more like clients that you have to please. Oh sure, at the end you kill them but the more satisfied with your dungeon they were, the more resources they give you. If you just kill them outright, they give you close to nothing, you need to please them. Not very evil is it?

I don't think people would complain as much that it's not like DK had this actually been a good game. To me it just seems like they ripped off a good game while having no real idea how to make a fun game. Without the DK similarity to fool people in, they wouldn't have sold more than 10 copies, and that's if they have many friends.

Anthile
01-11-2011, 01:08 AM
It's a German game, so of course it sucks. All we can do is barely functional RPGs and offbeat adventure games.

vinraith
01-11-2011, 01:27 AM
It's a German game, so of course it sucks. All we can do is barely functional RPGs and offbeat adventure games.

And brilliant economic sims and city builders, don't neglect those.

archonsod
01-11-2011, 02:10 PM
I quite liked it, though it does get repetitive (primarily due to the small selection of rooms). It's kinda like Theme Park if you were limited to building only three types of ride and the ultimate goal was to kill off your guests once they were happy. Later campaign levels or certain sandbox types will also pit you against enemy lords which shakes things up somewhat.

Haven't played the sequel, but from the sound of it they've simply added a new dungeon theme and a multiplayer mode. First one is worth getting if you see it cheap (was on sale not so long ago for a fiver), wouldn't pay more than around ten quid for it though.

Spinoza
01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
And brilliant economic sims and city builders, don't neglect those.
And equally brilliant X series ....