PDA

View Full Version : Disconnect your wifi, close all tabs, drawn the curtains. SKYRIM for consoles leaked.

pakoito
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
The game is already on usenet and soon all your favorite websites will be flood with memes and hi-has of whatever those nerds are finding in their games. I suggest closing all communications with the rest of humanity until the game is released on PC and played for a hundred hours.

Giaddon
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Ha, I didn't see that coming. I've already been avoiding Skyrim news, should be easy to keep on doing so.

TillEulenspiegel
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Nice. I know a reviewer who hinted that he had a copy, so I guess it was one of them who leaked it.

I'm not terribly concerned about spoilers in a game like Skyrim, though. I'm mostly interested in hearing just how broken the gameplay is.

Cooper
01-11-2011, 03:29 PM
The only interesting news this brings is that reviewers, it seems were so far ONLY handed XBox copies. No PC copies for reviewers it seems, not even for PC-only publications...

pakoito
01-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I fucking hate you all for spoiling every single bit of Desu Ex and I won't play that game anymore until all those nerdy reddit images and memes are gone from my head.

coldvvvave
01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
But really, who plays Elder Scrolls for a plot?

pakoito
01-11-2011, 03:52 PM
But really, who plays Elder Scrolls for a plot?It is not about the plot, it's about the first time you meet some character who's going down in vg history, his phrases, or reaching some cool hidden place before any nerd posts 10000 pictures of how he fucked that liche in the a. Or finding lvl 400 armor piece that makes you look like a banana instead of reading "that banana suit is smashing! look at my picture thumbnails!"

Malawi Frontier Guard
01-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Spoiler: It will be like Oblivion.

Wild Marker
01-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Well nothing happened to me with deus ex, I even avoided the trailers. But then again I wasn't using 9Gag back then.

On a side note, someone should really report on this, considering the PC always gets the "it's full of piracy" treatment. People should start noticing that consoles are getting pirated a lot faster theese days, while date checks and encryptions from digital distribution are keeping the PC side pretty leak free.

Vandelay
01-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm sorry. We are worried about characters and events in an Elders Scrolls game getting spoiled? When has there been anything in those games that has warranted avoiding spoilers? You don't want to know if someone thinks Mudcrabs are nasty creatures?

Teddy Leach
01-11-2011, 07:32 PM
What about quest chain spoilers? Would you have liked it if someone had spoiled the Dark Brotherhood questline for you? (Even though that'll have happened for some people).

soldant
01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm not as worried about this as I would be for something like DX:HR or Mass Effect, but still, bit of a dick move. These kinds of things just prove that piracy is as rampant on the 360 as it is on the PC, if anything it's even worse in some respects. The only thing that sets it apart is the technical knowledge required to get the 360 to play pirated copies (depending on what system you own).

Interestingly enough only the PS3 has managed to keep a reasonable lid on the pirates. Piracy might still exist on the PS3 but it's nowhere near as bad as for the 360 or PC, which is interesting considering just about everybody had a modchip in their PSX.

DigitalSignalX
02-11-2011, 12:31 AM
The only interesting news this brings is that reviewers, it seems were so far ONLY handed XBox copies. No PC copies for reviewers it seems, not even for PC-only publications...

My hope is that this means the PC version will be different (and superior). My fear is that it's being hidden because it's crap.

pakoito
02-11-2011, 12:48 AM
My hope is that this means the PC version will be different (and superior). My fear is that it's being hidden because it's crap.
We all know it's going to be a messy clusterfuck for the first couple of months, because that's the way it has to be. So official patches fix almost nothing for a couple of months and then the game doesn't get officially patched until 20 years later to give Windows13 and DX14 support. Meanwhile community patches twice a week and a real game is made out of the engine by late 2016 (not kidding here, Nehrim/Andoram took 5 years to make).

Nalano
02-11-2011, 12:58 AM
We all know it's going to be a messy clusterfuck for the first couple of months, because that's the way it has to be. So mods and official patches fix almost nothing for a couple of years and then the game doesn't get officially patched until 20 years later to give Windows13 and DX14 support.

In heaven the games will be written by Obsidian, with Bethesda's mod support and Valve's playtesting, on Electronic Art's development cycle with Blizzard's budget.

In hell the games will be written by Blizzard, with Electronic Art's mod support and Bethesda's playtesting, on Valve's development cycle with Obsidian's budget.

Wizardry
02-11-2011, 01:15 AM
In heaven the game will be designed by Sir-Tech, written by Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian, with a world created by Origin Systems, Valve's play testing and Blizzard's budget.
Yeah. I'll go with that!

TillEulenspiegel
02-11-2011, 01:23 AM
with Bethesda's mod support
Ew, no thanks. Have you noticed how nobody has managed to truly un-break Oblivion's terrible UI, just apply different themes?

Mod support that requires you to use a crippled, proprietary scripting language and a weak, limited API is not particularly good. It was a little more normal 10-15 years ago, but there's no excuse with modern tools available. Give me Lua. Give me Python. Modding Oblivion was painful; I wrote my own damn scripts just to fix the dependencies, and had to run them every time I changed anything. Awful.

Nalano
02-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Yeah. I'll go with that!

The joke doesn't work if you choose companies that no longer exist.

Ew, no thanks. Have you noticed how nobody has managed to truly un-break Oblivion's terrible UI, just apply different themes?

Mod support that requires you to use a crippled, proprietary scripting language and a weak, limited API is not particularly good. It was a little more normal 10-15 years ago, but there's no excuse with modern tools available. Give me Lua. Give me Python. Modding Oblivion was painful; I wrote my own damn scripts just to fix the dependencies, and had to run them every time I changed anything. Awful.

Would you rather a company that simply sent you a Cease and Desist for daring to reverse-engineer the game?

'Cuz we can do that (http://kotaku.com/5848073/takedown-notice-sends-battlestar-galactica-modders-fleeing-from-the-nbc-university-tyranny).

Wizardry
02-11-2011, 01:32 AM
I don't know much about game modding because I tend to just code my own stuff, but the best mods I've ever played are Ultima V: Lazarus and Ultima 6 Project. Both of them are total conversions of Dungeon Siege. I'm guessing the Dungeon Siege engine must be relatively easy to mod, given the scope of these two games and number of changes made to the core gameplay.

Berzee
02-11-2011, 01:36 AM
In Heaven...

I'll just take Asheron's Call before player housing, thanks. =)

Re: Skyrim Spoilers, I too don't mind spoilers for this game...they just make me more excited for the possibilities. Maybe I should have more hope that there will be some quests that are worth not-spoiling, but with Oblivion I didn't find any...then again I did not play a thief OR a murderer, so I think I missed out on the best stuff. Pity, that.

soldant
02-11-2011, 01:47 AM
We all know it's going to be a messy clusterfuck for the first couple of months, because that's the way it has to be. So official patches fix almost nothing for a couple of months and then the game doesn't get officially patched until 20 years later to give Windows13 and DX14 support. Meanwhile community patches twice a week and a real game is made out of the engine by late 2016 (not kidding here, Nehrim/Andoram took 5 years to make).
It's using a new engine this time around though, right? Most of Oblivion's problems came from the Gamebryo engine, which quite frankly is a piece of shit, or at least its implementation in Oblivion certainly is. Also to be fair to Bethesda, Oblivion and Morrowind (and Skyrim) are massive games with an awful lot of content, bugs are guaranteed to slip through the net. Plenty of devs manage to miss worse bugs in far smaller games.

Rii
02-11-2011, 01:48 AM

"Game proved incompatible with all tested hardware. Disc able to provide brief entertainment when placed in microwave. 1/10."

pakoito
02-11-2011, 02:10 AM
It's using a new engine this time around though, right? Most of Oblivion's problems came from the Gamebryo engine, which quite frankly is a piece of shit, or at least its implementation in Oblivion certainly is. Also to be fair to Bethesda, Oblivion and Morrowind (and Skyrim) are massive games with an awful lot of content, bugs are guaranteed to slip through the net. Plenty of devs manage to miss worse bugs in far smaller games.It's a Gamebryo on roids once again, but they implemented some third party shit to make it look good. And by "that's the way it has to be" I meant exactly that: big game, small demons everywhere, not enough testers for that many interactions.

Anyway, my 2 cents on all this stuff is that somewhere along the line the industry should stop updating the engines and focus on content. Can you imagine what a game could be made if 200 people spent the last 5 years creating contents and fixes for the original Oblivion engine. The community has created real wonders with the extended scripting and shaders, while others like Nehrimor or Andoram focused on content to create CONSISTENT meaningful level and plot design, which all new RPGs lack (nobody poops, eats or sleeps in Thieves' Den, or Mage's Tower and such, and that's against simulation). And thats amateur unpaid shit without access to source code or dev tools. Put the Skyrim team and budget to polish Oblivion and we would have seen wonders, instead of a new big buggy unfinished game.

The most obvious example is Portal, which was a minigame but got expanded and polished (overpolished maybe) into an instant classic. Ultima IV, V, VI. Golden Box. Infinity Engine. You get the point.

On the other side of the coin we have the rushed sequels like Dragon Age 2, Bioshock 2 or even Dead Space 2; where instead of spending years the times get cut to months to create a full game and instead we find a diluted streamlined copy of what we found on the first one. I don't disdain continuity or lack of innovation IF what the new game tells me is worth listening, even if it looks like an expansion rather than a new game; which is still better than adding new mechanics nobody asked for just for the sake of "innovating".

Rii
02-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Anyway, my 2 cents on all this stuff is that somewhere along the line the industry should stop updating the engines and focus on content.

So, Call of Duty? ;)

pakoito
02-11-2011, 02:44 AM
So, Call of Duty? ;)Almost got me, luckily I ninjaedited before you posted.

On the other side of the coin we have the rushed sequels like Dragon Age 2, Bioshock 2 or even Dead Space 2; where instead of spending years the times get cut to months to create a full game and instead we find a diluted streamlined copy of what we found on the first one.CoD is laaaazy laaaaazy laaaaaazy.

Nalano
02-11-2011, 02:48 AM
So, Call of Duty? ;)

We said content, not the same ol' shit. :p

soldant
02-11-2011, 03:09 AM
It's a Gamebryo on roids once again, but they implemented some third party shit to make it look good.
On further reading it's based on Gamebryo with a large number of changes. Might still be good... hopefully.

gundrea
02-11-2011, 11:07 AM
I will drink your tears when you find out how misguided your optimism is soldant.

Now where's my PC leak? DX:HR managed to get leaked early. What is this, a conspiracy?

Cooper
02-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I will drink your tears when you find out how misguided your optimism is soldant.

Now where's my PC leak? DX:HR managed to get leaked early. What is this, a conspiracy?No PC verrsions out for review.

Said that earlier.

Which remains the KEY point. Most journalists - and RPS have constantly been forward about this - have ONLY played this on XBox.

So far, any guesses as to how it works (or doesn't) on various PC setups can only be guessed at. It's not exactly uncommon for 'smooth' console experiences to translate into horrible, glaring (avoidable, despite the infinite hardware/software variations) messes on PC

id & Rage; looking at you...

Wild Marker
02-11-2011, 01:01 PM
My worst fear is the interface. The "revolutionary" interface thay've been talking about the whole year, that's for consoles, because their UI was utter crap in oblivion, like a bad port of the pc interface (or so I've been told). However when they showed it I... I almost cry. That's your revolutionary interface?? Holy crap, you have to go through each item to see their stats! In oblivion you could see them at a glance, even sort them by armor/damage in the case of armor/weapons. And don't tell me they have more stats now, they don't. Weapons still have just damage, weight and value, plus extras. So I really hope they haven't taken out that from the interface, like they did on the consoles.

Malawi Frontier Guard
02-11-2011, 01:01 PM
I watched a bit of a livestream where someone was playing the leaked version. My previous statement was incomplete.

It's Oblivion but with dragons. Oh, you knew that already?

It's really hard to form an opinion on a game like this just watching someone else play. You lack all the decision-making you would normally have playing yourself. I had fun with Oblivion, at least for a time, so I might pick up the game after Christmas. It's not something I need on release though.

Also I hope the interface shows more items on the PC version. At least this time do it right.

alh_p
02-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Hm. Am I truly alone in thinking - great, I hope there's more on the wikis?

Berzee
02-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Hm. Am I truly alone in thinking - great, I hope there's more on the wikis?

Not alone!

TailSwallower
03-11-2011, 01:57 AM
It's Oblivion but with dragons.

It's just Fallout 3 without guns.

DigitalSignalX
03-11-2011, 03:15 AM
My worst fear is the interface.

The good news is if Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and FO:NV are any indication, the UI is always among the very first things the mod community sends up the flag pole. Usually it can be optimized within days or weeks for personal tastes because it's much easier then fixing models and complex scripts.