PDA

View Full Version : News flash - Do you like maps? Skyrim preorder now includes a MAP.

alh_p
02-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Copy pasted from an Amazon Uk email this morning:

"As you've pre-ordered The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, we wanted to let you know that Bethesda, the game's manufacturer, have been in touch with us.

They've confirmed that all customers who pre-order The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim from Amazon.co.uk will receive a 'Premium Quality World Map' included in the game box.

For more information, visit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&docId=1000592243 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&docId=1000592243)

We hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Amazon.co.uk Video Games Team"

The world has quite literaly turned.

Althea
02-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Skyrim was confirmed to have a map a long time ago, it's just Amazon are so damned shit that they've only just "confirmed" it. Check the product discussion if you don't believe me.

alh_p
02-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Oh ok, never mind. I've not been that involved in the pre-launch hype - except for preordering.

LowKey
02-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I hadn't heard about it so thanks alh_p

Unaco
02-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I hadn't heard about it so thanks alh_p

Same. I was looking at Amazon just because, in this instance, it's a fair bit cheaper than Steam. I saw the thing about possibly no map, and was going to wait for confirmation before deciding.

vinraith
02-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Paper or cloth?

alh_p
02-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Paper or cloth?

Dunno. Looks like paper to me from the amazon link. but at least you can rest assured it will be "Premium Quality".

WTF is premium quality when it's at home? I presume its neighbours are Luxury and Finest.

vinraith
02-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Dunno. Looks like paper to me from the amazon link. but at least you can rest assured it will be "Premium Quality".

WTF is premium quality when it's at home? I presume its neighbours are Luxury and Finest.

I'm all but certain it's paper, which means it's really just a poster. For a cloth map, I'd actually consider preordering.

TillEulenspiegel
02-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Premium = cloth, apparently.

http://www.gamesradar.com/skyrim-pre-order-bonus-is-a-premium-map/

Still, it's kind of an ugly map. Not like my Ultima Online cloth map with the pretty colors. And no, it's not old-fashioned stylized either...it's just brown.

alh_p
02-11-2011, 02:31 PM
yeah, well spotted (ignoring the issue of how sad we are to be discussing this, still).

"According to Bethesda, this map packed with pre-order copies is printed quality material that feels a lot like burlap."

Feels like burlap.

Is that what the horse said about it's armour?

ZING

vinraith
02-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Interesting. Like Till, I wish it had more color, aesthetically it looks a lot like the (rather subpar) Oblivion map instead of the (much richer) Morrowind map. Still, I'll give it a bit of thought...

Anthile
02-11-2011, 02:34 PM
No horse armor this time but something else:

http://egamer.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/crabarmorfull__3_.jpg

It's not real.

Althea
02-11-2011, 02:37 PM
And now for someone to believe that.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
02-11-2011, 02:48 PM
No horse armor this time but something else:

http://egamer.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/crabarmorfull__3_.jpg

It's not real.

These jokes are funny but a little unfair at this point. Fallout 3 was a good example of how to do DLC content for an RPG right, but it actually started with Knights of the Nine. Good on Bethesda for smartening up and actually changing.

I rarely buy DLC but I bought all of the for Fallout 3. The Pitt was great.

DigitalSignalX
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
That was hilarious. Made my morning.

edit: also maps are sexy.

TillEulenspiegel
02-11-2011, 02:54 PM
These jokes are funny but a little unfair at this point. Fallout 3 was a good example of how to do DLC content for an RPG right, but it actually started with Knights of the Nine. Good on Bethesda for smartening up and actually changing.
Yeah. That's the one nice thing I'll say about Bethesda. They may have pioneered awful DLC, but they quickly switched over to mini-expansions without all the little crap. If you really must do DLC and no proper expansions, that's the way to do it. Shame the rest of the industry hasn't caught up.

Althea
02-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Yeah. That's the one nice thing I'll say about Bethesda. They may have pioneered awful DLC, but they quickly switched over to mini-expansions without all the little crap. If you really must do DLC and no proper expansions, that's the way to do it. Shame the rest of the industry hasn't caught up.
If anything, I think Bethesda are the best for DLC. Yes, they screwed up with Oblivion to some extent, but who else puts out DLC packages like they did for Oblivion? Only other time I've seen it is for Empire: Total War, I think. That KotN package was insanely good value, because it bolstered your game experience in so many ways.

Without Bethesda experimenting with DLC like they have done, who knows what could have happened? They tried smaller things, more average things and with FO3/New Vegas with Obsidian, they've shown that you can put out high quality releases which bolster and improve the game.

Smashbox
02-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Is Amazon selling cheaper in the UK than other retailers? In the US, they're approximately 45 below average.

Althea
02-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Is Amazon selling cheaper in the UK than other retailers? In the US, they're approximately 45 below average.
It's 28 there, roughly, so I think it's one of the cheaper ones.

TailSwallower
03-11-2011, 01:53 AM
They may have pioneered awful DLC, but they quickly switched over to mini-expansions without all the little crap.

True about the mini-expansions for both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but then they went and did those weapon packs for New Vegas, which seems like a step backwards (one of the packs was also a repackaging of all the pre-order bonus DLC which is another negative point). And sure, Obsidian game, but I have no doubt that Bethesda are the ones asking for the DLCs to be developed and released.

Althea
03-11-2011, 08:20 AM
but then they went and did those weapon packs for New Vegas, which seems like a step backwards (one of the packs was also a repackaging of all the pre-order bonus DLC which is another negative point).
Care to explain? The Gun Runners Arsenal also added a new bunch of challenges, and a lot of the weapons aren't cheap. I think there's some completely new gear in there, too, so it's not like they just got a bunch of the existing weapons together and sold them.

As for the pre-order bonuses, again, I don't see the problem? That's actually quite a good value pack, IMHO.

TailSwallower
03-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I guess I'm just generally against the idea of spending real money on fake items for a game - whether its horse armour or a re-skinned gun. I know it's a fine line between worthwhile and not worthwhile DLC, and it really comes down to a personal preference, but to me those packs seem like terrible value for money and at odds with the otherwise excellent DLC the Fallouts have received.

As for the pre-order DLC bonuses, it's more an issue of how bullshit pre-order bonuses are in general. It's value as a 'bonus' is questionable in the first place, but when they're inevitably going to be sold at a later date so the publisher can increase profits further, it simply reeks of the sorts of bullshit that are slowly ruining the AAA gaming industry. Even if it only costs a couple of dollars, I think that's far too much to pay for a few items that were initially used to manipulate customers.

Again, personal preference. I'm sure some people love having more items, and are glad that they can access the bonuses they missed out on first time, but to me it's still an example of "Bad DLC".