PDA

View Full Version : PC gaming is dying, the BBC says so!

frenz0rz
02-11-2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15536488

FLEE! Flee to your consoles, your tablets and your smartphones! PCs are dead! But seriously:

"Once upon a time when you wanted to use a computer you sat down in front of a desktop PC, turned it on and got to work."

Uhm... I still do?

Well done for them mentioning Skyrim though, I suppose.

Wizardry
02-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Looks like it's time to shut down Rock Paper Shotgun.

Vexing Vision
02-11-2011, 10:23 PM
I blame Red Orchestra 2. If only it would be more active! Now PC gaming is doomed.

sinister agent
02-11-2011, 10:25 PM
That doesn't say PC gaming is dying. At all. It says that fewer desktop PCs are being sold, which is a fact, and fewer games are being developed exclusively for the PC, which certainly appears to be true.

Kodeen
02-11-2011, 10:28 PM
"Once upon a time when you wanted to use a computer you sat down in front of a desktop PC, turned it on and got to work."

Uhm... I still do?

So did the guy who typed that article.

I see desktop PC's kind of setting into the same niche as sailboats. Not the most efficient device in its class anymore, nor the most cost effective, but still enjoyed by an enthusiastic few and, dare I say, pretty classy. Soon we will have cashmere sweaters draped over our shoulders, drinking champagne and holding only the finest tennis rackets, which we are not actually swinging because we are either in front of a computer or on a boat.

DigitalSignalX
02-11-2011, 10:35 PM
That doesn't say PC gaming is dying. At all. It says that fewer desktop PCs are being sold, which is a fact, and fewer games are being developed exclusively for the PC, which certainly appears to be true.

Indeed, what it fails to highlight is that many people are simply migrating to laptops which are sufficiently powerful and inexpensive enough today to handle the average user. What it does get right though is that the desktop will still be the go-to for graphical or computationally intensive applications in the near future.

Still, stocking up on canned goods and waiting for the techno apocalypse can't hurt.

Nalano
02-11-2011, 10:37 PM
So did the guy who typed that article.

It seems like it'd be easier to set up your iCrap to videotape you dictating your article than actually writing it on said iCrap.

frenz0rz
02-11-2011, 10:38 PM

Well yeah, but I wanted to sound overly dramatic when bringing up the age-old battle cry of 'PC gaming is dead'.

They're saying that less people are upgrading/rebuying their PCs in favour of new tech such as tablets, which I'm sure has some truth to it. They're also saying that new graphically demanding games such as Battlefield 3 and Skyrim might encourage large numbers of people to upgrade, which I think is... less true. I can run Battlefield 3 on high on my three year old PC with all but the most realistic shadows and motion blur etc turned on. As for Skyrim, it runs in a heavily modified Oblivion engine, so I cant imagine it being too demanding. They quoted it themselves:

"Given that consoles are less technologically sophisticated than PCs they will be programmed for the lowest common denominator which, from a commercial point of view, makes sense," he said. "However, it means they are not pushing modern PC hardware."

Aside from simply wanting to shout something a little silly, I was just a bit annoyed at the articles slightly dismissive attitude toward PC gaming.

Althea
02-11-2011, 10:40 PM
fewer games are being developed exclusively for the PC, which certainly appears to be true.
Looking at Steam and GamersGate, I strongly disagree.

snortmort
02-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Depends on context, I think generally there are less games exclusively developed for the PC than the pre-console/tablet/laptop world. But that's just circumstance, it doesn't marry with a 'dying PC' hypothesis.

Media has always relied on 'next big thing' as a stalwart for filling pages. Coexistence doesn't make interesting reading does it?

Taidan
02-11-2011, 11:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned, "PC Gaming" as I enjoyed it died in 2004. This current incarnation is but a shambling undead monstrosity that feasts upon the brains of console conversions and MMOs, and accidentally kicks over a rock that a great indie title happens to be hiding under once in a while.

Althea
02-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Again, I'd disagree.

I think there's fewer AAA titles from major publishers out exclusively for PC, with Ubisoft and THQ being one of the few to do so with any regularity. 2K really only seem to have the Civilization series at the moment. There's also fewer AAA releases out for the PC in general, with our versions either being delayed by weeks or months, or just not appearing at all.

But in terms of the wider picture, I think the PC is still a healthy platform. We have an ever-growing indie scene, some publishers/developers still use the PC as the "focal" point for some games, publishers like Paradox and Kalypso are putting out a good number of PC exclusive titles. A lot of the major releases still come to PC and in improved form, which is also great. But with Steam and GamersGate around, there's a lot of room for new developers and publishers to exist and to reach markets that they otherwise would not have had access to.

The PC is just a different platform, and very few major publishers truly understand that.

snortmort
02-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Really the article isn't about PC gaming dying (just saying). It supposes that a reason for less demands for new PC's and PC upgrades is because developers are making games primarily for consoles which don't really push PC current PC hardware.

The article is about PC's and how it is coping with myriad competing platforms and technology.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
03-11-2011, 12:01 AM
The slowing sales of desktops can easily be attributed to the slowing advancement of consumer graphics technology.

Most games still use DX9, and can you honestly say the difference in graphics from 2007-2010 was as extreme as 2004-2007? World in Conflict still looks good. Half-Life 2 and Battlefield 2 does not.

As such, I'm still using the exact same computer I built in 2007, minus a GTX 260 to replace a burnt out 8800 GTX, and Battlefield 3 Alpha was the first game that failed to run at a playable framerate.

DigitalSignalX
03-11-2011, 12:06 AM
As far as I'm concerned, "PC Gaming" as I enjoyed it died in 2004. This current incarnation is but a shambling undead monstrosity that feasts upon the brains of console conversions and MMOs, and accidentally kicks over a rock that a great indie title happens to be hiding under once in a while.

On that note: everyone be sure to visit the youtube awesomeness thread:

"If Quake was done today" Topical!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

Taidan
03-11-2011, 12:24 AM
"When I was your age, we rocket jumped all the way to school uphill, both ways...
IN BOILING LAVA"

Hmmmm.

Might get that printed on a T-Shirt.

Fumarole
03-11-2011, 02:56 AM
When I was in school Quake wasn't yet a gleam in Romero's eye.

Matzerath
03-11-2011, 03:48 AM
I read an article about the desktop PC market dying ... in a NEWSPAPER!

CrazyEthan
03-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Everything is going to be doomed, how many days can we live on earth according to Mayans!

Anthile
03-11-2011, 04:16 AM
PC gaming has been in steady declines since the 60s. Has there been any decent game since Mouse in the Maze? Yeah, I didn't think so either. It's all watered down nowadays!

Nalano
03-11-2011, 04:53 AM
PC gaming has been in steady declines since the 60s.

I'm reminded of a beginning physics lesson. Y'know, the one where if you shoot a rifle on the moon, due to there being no atmosphere to slow the bullet, that so long as there were no mountains in the way and the bullet was going fast enough, it could arguably fall forever.

DigitalSignalX
03-11-2011, 05:07 AM
it could arguably fall forever. Wouldn't that just be a really, really low orbit? Or is the falling forever a PC decline metaphor?

Nalano
03-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Wouldn't that just be a really, really low orbit? Or is the falling forever a PC decline metaphor?

Yes, and yes.

BillButNotBen
03-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Oh you! You pulled a Daily Mail and totally misrepresented the article in your attention grabbing headline, didn't you?

It's a good article that is basically spot on in every point. It doesn't seem that dismissive of PC gaming, and it basically says what we all have been saying on RPS for years... and talks about things possibly changing in the future.

Personally, I don't know anyone who has bought a new desktop PC in the last five years, do you? And I haven't seen many desktop PCs in offices recently either.... our office has about 1% desktops, and those are the old legacy ones that are stuck in a corner and used for data entry. Everyone else has laptops. (yay! RSI!)

That said, the one point it misses at the end is that the one thing PC makers HAVE done to make them innovative is netbooks... and that was the one big growth area in the last 5 years. I imagine that the future will tend more towards macbook air style thin light low-ish cost laptops with touchscreens.

Nalano
03-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Personally, I don't know anyone who has bought a new desktop PC in the last five years, do you? And I haven't seen many desktop PCs in offices recently either.... our office has about 1% desktops, and those are the old legacy ones that are stuck in a corner and used for data entry. Everyone else has laptops. (yay! RSI!)

Yes.

Me.

Also, my office, my last office, my home studio, the non-profits I moonlight at, and pretty much everywhere I go that isn't a start-up. Smartphones, tablets and netbooks are cute and occasionally have their uses, but if I'm doing anything of any sort of import, I do it at a proper workstation.

BillButNotBen
03-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Yes.

Me.

Also, my office, my last office, my home studio, the non-profits I moonlight at, and pretty much everywhere I go that isn't a start-up. Smartphones, tablets and netbooks are cute and occasionally have their uses, but if I'm doing anything of any sort of import, I do it at a proper workstation.

based on the article, you're pretty niche.... ;-)

QuantaCat
03-11-2011, 08:29 AM
I blame Red Orchestra 2. If only it would be more active! Now PC gaming is doomed.

Careful now, dont want to seem like redox. or redux. or whatever that annoying guy was/is called.

Also, I buy desktops all the time. Im detecting a move away from laptoppery in my "circles".

Xercies
03-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Actually I suspect I will see something happening like in my uni. The first year we were all up on laptops and netbooks and what have you, the second year desktops came back again because well they were just more useful.

metalangel
03-11-2011, 10:51 AM
If you just waste your time poking around websites and watching how weirdly someone's cat sleeps on Youtube, a tablet might be okay.

If you want to do anything even remotely more productive, including but not limited to posting on an angry forum of shouty gamers, you want something more comfortable for your little fingies to type on, which means a keyboard.

And if you plug a keyboard into your tablet, you're a berk.

QuantaCat
03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
berk berk berk berk berk berk.

frenz0rz
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
berk berk berk berk berk berk.

Berk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU2YIGsThXc
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU2YIGsThXc)

vinraith
03-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Every media outlet, translated: "OMG CONTENT CONSUMPTION DEVICES ARE GOING TO REPLACE CONTENT CREATION DEVICES!!!!!"

Me: No, no they're not. Stop being fucking stupid.

Nalano
03-11-2011, 03:46 PM
based on the article, you're pretty niche.... ;-)

Shall I list the ways in which a desktop is superior to smaller forms of computers? It's quite sizable.

Every media outlet, translated: "OMG CONTENT CONSUMPTION DEVICES ARE GOING TO REPLACE CONTENT CREATION DEVICES!!!!!"

Have my internet babies.

TillEulenspiegel
03-11-2011, 04:35 PM

It's quite funny how so many pundits still think tablet devices are just for consumption. FFS, Apple released their office suite for iPad practically on day one. Then they released GarageBand. I do a ton of writing in Evernote and Springpad even without a bluetooth keyboard, and I write code in Textastic. It's not the absolute most productive way to do it, but it provides a useful change of mindset (relaxing in a comfy chair, locked into one app at a time) and ergonomics.

The thing about this article is that the majority of PC owners never had a gaming-capable system anyway. Not since the days of 3D accelerators. So talking about PC sales in general is absolutely useless if you haven't even thrown out the people who only had integrated graphics. That might affect the market for Flash games, but that's about it.

pakoito
03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
When was the last time you used a screen keyboard to write some article or do some programming, use the billing program your job uses, or did anything other than your mail and shopping list?

NEVER.

It's quite funny how so many pundits still think tablet devices are just for consumption. FFS, Apple released their office suite for iPad practically on day one. Then they released GarageBand. I do a ton of writing in Evernote and Springpad even without a bluetooth keyboard, and I write code in Textastic. It's not the absolute most productive way to do it, but it provides a useful change of mindset (relaxing in a comfy chair, locked into one app at a time) and ergonomics.I once wrote a letter blindfolded using my blood as ink and a spoon as a pen, it was not the most productive way but it is true it quite needed a new mindset.

QuantaCat
03-11-2011, 07:21 PM
When was the last time you used a screen keyboard to write some article or do some programming, use the billing program your job uses, or did anything other than your mail and shopping list?

NEVER.

I once wrote a letter blindfolded using my blood as ink and a spoon as a pen, it was not the most productive way but it is true it quite needed a new mindset.

ooooh boy. I think that one is a bit on edge.

pakoito
03-11-2011, 07:41 PM
ooooh boy. I think that one is a bit on edge.Not as painful as virtual keyboards, trust me.

Nalano
03-11-2011, 08:47 PM
ooooh boy. I think that one is a bit on edge.

But that's the crux of the issue. If your job consists solely of checking your email and writing pithy memos, congratulations, you can make do with a tablet. Hell, you can make do with an Asus eeePC for $200.

But what you do not have is a production machine.

Lukasz
03-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm reminded of a beginning physics lesson. Y'know, the one where if you shoot a rifle on the moon, due to there being no atmosphere to slow the bullet, that so long as there were no mountains in the way and the bullet was going fast enough, it could arguably fall forever.

wait...
wouldn't it hit you on the back of the head?

Nalano
03-11-2011, 09:28 PM
wait...
wouldn't it hit you on the back of the head?

I don't think schools need to teach you to duck.

Althea
03-11-2011, 09:39 PM
You wouldn't need to duck. You could just move to your left or your right a couple of metres.

Nalano
03-11-2011, 10:13 PM
You wouldn't need to duck. You could just move to your left or your right a couple of metres.

Those are also acceptable forms of ducking. :D

pakoito
03-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Those are also acceptable forms of ducking. :DIn a non-euclidian space that would be dodging.

Smashbox
03-11-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm very happy with where this conversation is going.

Coincidentally, I read a story along these lines the other day called "Maelstrom II" by Arthur C. Clarke. Instead of a bullet, however, it's a man. And there are mountains.

Lukasz
03-11-2011, 11:00 PM
That would a good way to kill yourself... shooting yourself in the back of your head with a sniper rifle.
being shot at the mountain, tough. Sounds painful.

Skalpadda
03-11-2011, 11:09 PM
That would a good way to kill yourself... shooting yourself in the back of your head with a sniper rifle.

On the moon!

Where do I sign up?

Nalano
03-11-2011, 11:19 PM

And the best part of it is, so long as you have the angle right, you can aim pretty much anywhere!

Taidan
03-11-2011, 11:59 PM
And the best part of it is, so long as you have the angle right, you can aim pretty much anywhere!

Is that entirely true, or is that based on the assumption that the moon is a perfect sphere?

Actually, let's not think about that too hard. The experiments will reveal the truth soon enough...

Nalano
04-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Actually, let's not think about that too hard. The experiments will reveal the truth soon enough...

Hey, everybody! Party on the moon and you're all invited!

DigitalSignalX
04-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Those are also acceptable forms of ducking. :D I think that's strafing actually (=

My question though is, is the bullet endlessly falling, or is it orbiting. If it's falling, it's suicide. If it's orbiting, it's a collision.

Nalano
04-11-2011, 12:42 AM
I think that's strafing actually (=

My question though is, is the bullet endlessly falling, or is it orbiting. If it's falling, it's suicide. If it's orbiting, it's a collision.

Ducking, dodging, strafing...

Falling, orbiting...

Suicide, freak accident... semantics!