PDA

View Full Version : GOG Old Game Compatibility?

Danny252
03-11-2011, 11:53 PM
I've previously bought some old stuff on Steam, but have been rather naffed off a number of times to discover things that either don't run well or don't run at all, even with a large amount of coaxing Dosbox where appropriate. These were then usually followed by checking the Steam forums to find threads upon threads of complaints, and Steam happily ignoring them as they rake in the cash. One that really naffed me off is how TA off Impulse refuses to play the music, other than a single track - the dynamic track choices added so much to it, and putting it on loop in $musicplayer just isn't the same.

Having glanced through GOG, a few things have caught my eye, and I've generally heard good things about them - but I'm slightly cautious. What's GOG's track record on making sure the old games they're putting out there actually have some way of working for anyone who's past Win 98?

MD!
03-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Keeping old games playable is part of GoG's raison d'Ítre. In practice this often just means that they include a pre-configured version of Dosbox. But the idea is that all the games they sell will work on modern computers.

Kelron
03-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Part of what GOG do is making sure their games will run on modern PCs, rather than releasing them as-is. There's still a few that won't work on Windows 7 or 64 bit OS, but this should be indicated on the game page and there are forums for each game that will probably tell you if there's any issues.

Lukasz
04-11-2011, 12:10 AM
There are some problems with gog games I will admit that.
Most of those problems are with games being broken in the first place and never officially patched. You basically get the same bugs which were present in original patched game.
Some are with compatibility.
Interstate for example. Last time I heard it did not want to work for many (but not most)

but

95% of games work without issue straight out of the box (so to speak) the 5% tough has problems but there are certainly workarounds being posted there on gog forums. Community is very good and helpful and almost always they manage to find a solution to a problem.

I do recommend the site. Been a member myself since day 3 I believe. bought more games than I have time to play. Go check it out, find a game you might want to play, check the forums to see whether the game has any issue.
Great site, great games...

play arcanum if you had never done that :)

Danny252
04-11-2011, 12:10 AM
but this should be indicated on the game page

That's what I was really looking for - Steam's "don't tell anyone" policy was rather annoying. I knew they were about old games, but I've seen sites before which claim to do the same but would sell anything! Thanks both.

Wizardry
04-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Basically, DOS games tend to work fine on any machine. Old Windows games, by comparison, are a little iffy. Also, don't expect GOG to have fixed existing bugs. They don't have access to the source code.

Taidan
04-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Recommend us a GOG game Wizardry.

If you had to pick one single purchase from there, which would it be?

sinister agent
04-11-2011, 01:42 AM
I've seen a few complaint threads on a few games I've bought off gog. However I've bought...hang on.

65. I've bought 65 games off gog and never had a problem running any of them straight off the installer. Of course, some, particularly the very old ones, are a bit fiddly to actually play, but that's usually down to problems with the original game. But I'm sure there are people who have problems with some gog games.

Best thing is to check the forums first, I'd say - every game/series on there has its own forum, and if there's a significant problem with a game it'll likely be discussed there.

Edit: Oh wait, that's not quite true. I had a slight problem with Independence War and Outcast. The former was easily fixed (a tip-off in the forums, there's an option in a menu I had to disable to sort out the framerate), and Outcast had an unusual sound set up that required a workaround to keep the (good) music from drowning everything out.

Wizardry
04-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Recommend us a GOG game Wizardry.

If you had to pick one single purchase from there, which would it be?
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition

Sigh
04-11-2011, 04:07 AM

That is a solid recommendation. I only beat Clouds of Xeen a few years ago, and I still have most of Darkside to tackle. Still tons of fun.

Wizardry
04-11-2011, 04:14 AM
That is a solid recommendation. I only beat Clouds of Xeen a few years ago, and I still have most of Darkside to tackle. Still tons of fun.
Yeah. Isles of Terra and World of Xeen are absolutely immense. Some of the finest RPGs ever crafted in my opinion. And you can get them both, plus a lot of people's personal favourite Mandate of Heaven, along with the two 80s entries, for only $9.99. It's easily the best value for money out of all the games on GOG, assuming you're a fan of all genres equally.

Moraven
04-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Dark Reign only game that I have purchased that has given problems. Haven't taken the time yet to look what needs to be done.

As said, part of what you get when you buy something from GoG is the service of making the games work on modern systems.

GraveyardJimmy
04-11-2011, 08:32 AM
I've found that DOSBOX doesnt work well with integrated graphics cards, or at least my laptop has problems in fullscreen mode where the screen doesnt "refresh" and you get the same image with the game sounding like its running behind it. Changing the display output in the options solved that though, but it didnt work "out the box" as it were.

I changed from Directx to surface or something (tried the options sequentially) if anyone else has a problem like that.

Vexing Vision
04-11-2011, 08:50 AM
I had issues with Dosbox processing cycles too fast or losing focus when replaying the Dark Eye trilogy. This needed some manual slowdown, which then worked swell.

In general, GOG also bundles the games with community mods and patches if they improve stability, such as for Baldur's Gate and Planescape.

Dugular
04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Yeah. Isles of Terra and World of Xeen are absolutely immense. Some of the finest RPGs ever crafted in my opinion. And you can get them both, plus a lot of people's personal favourite Mandate of Heaven, along with the two 80s entries, for only $9.99. It's easily the best value for money out of all the games on GOG, assuming you're a fan of all genres equally.

Hey Wizardry, did you buy these yourself from GOG? I just want to know if I will be forced to use GOG's dosbox setup or can use my own Dosbox setup (I'm pretty fussy about these things and like them MY way ;) )

On another note, the portraits of the characters getting hit in that one screenshot looks brilliant.

Wizardry
04-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Hey Wizardry, did you buy these yourself from GOG? I just want to know if I will be forced to use GOG's dosbox setup or can use my own Dosbox setup (I'm pretty fussy about these things and like them MY way ;) )
I won it in that RPS 100 word game review competition thing. It uses one copy of DOSBox for the whole collection, excluding Mandate of Heaven which is a Windows game. Each game has its own DOSBox config file, so you can customise the setup for each game. If you want to use your own installation of DOSBox you can just change the shortcuts for the games to use another DOSBox.exe, meaning that you can delete the one that comes with it.

On another note, the portraits of the characters getting hit in that one screenshot looks brilliant.
Yes. They are. Probably the most distinctive part of the game's interface.

Taidan
04-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Yeah, I've been meaning to pick that up for months, I never got around to playing them on their original releases. Too busy with Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Captive, etc.

How do the first couple of games hold up these days? Am I going to be sat there continually cross-referencing the manual, and making copious notes/maps on a pad of paper, or can I just get on with it? I suffer from an almost obsessive inability to play franchises/sequels without completing them all in order, right from the beginning.

Wizardry
04-11-2011, 08:07 PM
How do the first couple of games hold up these days? Am I going to be sat there continually cross-referencing the manual, and making copious notes/maps on a pad of paper, or can I just get on with it? I suffer from an almost obsessive inability to play franchises/sequels without completing them all in order, right from the beginning.
I have that same obsessive inability too.

The first two games are great. They both start off incredibly hard but get easier at quite a nice pace as you level up. Unfortunately the first game lacks an auto-map, but the second game was actually one of the first RPGs to feature one. You'll still need to do your fair share of note taking, but that's part of the fun. Both games have plenty of side quests (rare for the time period) and are very open. Unlike Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Captive, the games are far more open world in that you can travel to any of the towns in any order you want, and explore the many dungeons and wilderness areas whenever you feel strong enough.

They aren't as "tight" and as polished as III, IV and V, but they are still very playable and very addictive. Also, the great thing about playing through a long running series in order is that you always have improving technology to look forward to.

vinraith
04-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Speaking of Might and Magic, what's your assessment of the latter entries in the series (7, 8, and 9)? Worth bothering with?

I played the Xeen games back in their day (and thought they were incredible) , but pretty much missed the rest. I also faintly recall having had a Might and Magic title on my Sega Genesis as a kid...

Wizardry
04-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Speaking of Might and Magic, what's your assessment of the latter entries in the series (7, 8, and 9)? Worth bothering with?
MM7 and MM8 are very similar to MM6. Movement is no longer grid-based, and turn-based gameplay is relegated to a combat mode that you can toggle on and off. Fighting easy enemies often makes the games feel more like FPSs since you'll be slaughtering them at range in real-time. Positives are the improved character development systems and, in MM6, epic dungeons as mentioned (and illustrated) by some guy in the current Quake thread here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1947-The-death-of-FPS-or-quot-If-Quake-was-created-today-quot&p=53663&viewfull=1#post53663).

MM8, in comparison to MM6 and MM7, is very imbalanced due to the overhaul of the classes (and specifically the inclusion of dragons). This is generally the reason why MM8 is thought of as the worst of the MM6, MM7, MM8 "trilogy" (they use the same engine).

MM9 is shit because it was rushed out of the door. It's buggy, imbalanced and unfinished. Blame 3DO.

Veracity
04-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I just want to know if I will be forced to use GOG's dosbox setup or can use my own Dosbox setupYou'll never have to use the provided config - it's just a shortcut to a dosbox.conf you can edit if you want to, and the dos setup executable will be there if there was one. I think it's usually at least worth directing MIDI out to timidity pretending to be an AWE32 or some such, assuming that's what you remember using.

If you're picky like that, you might like the imo very polite fact their installer optionally doesn't install dosbox with every game that needs it. You have to point it at your one installed version so it knows what to do with its shortcuts, and it does (iirc) have to be a 0.72 exe, so you'll have to keep one of those around to fool it if you're using an unsupported version. Obviously, actual storage space isn't likely an issue, but it's tidy. Like games that default to installing in a "games" folder if they can find one, though these days that'd probably get them accused of being malware.

TooNu
04-11-2011, 11:42 PM
I have bought 3 titles from GOG and they all work perfectly.
Master of Magic.
Crusader
Baldurs Gate 2

I am interested in Dungeon Keeper 2, but apparently the win7 port is broken and will not work. Anybody know if it now works all of a sudden?

BG2 is a MUST own in my world. I have 5 different copies of it. It's like my Deus Ex obsession.

Dugular
07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Also, the great thing about playing through a long running series in order is that you always have improving technology to look forward to.

Haha, I like your style! I have the 'annoying' habit of having to play through games in order. No matter how old. I remember when I heard Hitman Blood Money was actually quite good, I had to trudge through three really shit games prior to allowing myself to install Blood Money.

Wizardry
07-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Haha, I like your style! I have the 'annoying' habit of having to play through games in order. No matter how old. I remember when I heard Hitman Blood Money was actually quite good, I had to trudge through three really shit games prior to allowing myself to install Blood Money.
How about the opposite? When the first few entries in a series are good but the rest suck. Do you play them all or stop when the games get shit?

Dugular
07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
How about the opposite? When the first few entries in a series are good but the rest suck. Do you play them all or stop when the games get shit?

I never finished Ultima 8 or played Ultima 9.

EDIT: That being said, I did finish Quest for Glory V.