PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Bastard: Tactical Espionage Arsehole

TychoCelchuuu
05-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Stealth Bastard (http://www.stealthbastard.com/) looks like a cross between Super Meat Boy and whatever your favorite stealth game is. It's free but I am literally too lazy to try it out even though it is free so I am informing everyone here in the hopes that people will try it and report back on its quality. I'm actually not a massive platforming fan and I don't have the masochistic streak it takes to enjoy something like Super Meat Boy or VVVVVV so I might actually sit this out entirely. Still, I figure that plenty of people here will perhaps enjoy it.

I leave you, now, with a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1dLNLji5n0

The Tupper
05-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me, boy.

sinister agent
05-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Love the name, and watched the trailer earlier. But I don't see any bastardry.

TailSwallower
05-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Love the name, and watched the trailer earlier. But I don't see any bastardry.

Perhaps the bastardy is in the plot, not the gameplay? Like he's sneaking in to this super high-tech complex to steal the President's daughter's limited-edition My Little Pony so he can sell it on eBay for drug money. What a bastard!

But yes, gameplay looks fantastic. Something like this always comes down to the tightness of the controls, which is something that's impossible to gather from a video.

If you're referring to yet another thread that looks like advertising from a poster with no posting history, it looks like Tycho was active on the old forum, 'cause if you go to their Profile there are more than just 2 posts there, going back a few months. So, probably not Stealth-Bastard advertising (though as bastardly as the advertising can be around these parts, it's rarely stealthy).

pakoito
05-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Abe's Oddysee vibes here.

Heliocentric
05-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Stealth games are awesome. Hiding from The Man, skulking in shadows, the thrill of the unseen infiltration. But why do they have to be so... slow?The player?

TychoCelchuuu
05-11-2011, 01:35 AM

I joined these forums 3 months before you, Mr. The Tupper, so if I'm some sort of plant to sell a free game (?) I'm a really good one.

Although I suppose you're kind of right in that I'm trying to get people to play it. The reason, though, is because I don't want to waste my time on it if it's not fun.

So I guess my mind tricks might not work on you after all.

Heliocentric
05-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Spent the last hour eventually the aforementioned meatboyness of it all started to grate, on the last level of the second chapter (helios on the high score table btw) but a well made puzzle platformer, nice to see convictions light as writing on the wall get an airing.

Mantling down off an edge only worked like 10% of the time, and the level where you need to crush the flying drone with the lift had zero sign posting that you had to do that.

An excellent game I never want to play again*, checkpoints could be more generous though but i can see this being developed further in the later levels, I just think when the leaping and sneaking around the rotating light source was misjudged.
*i really hate the meatboy,

DigitalSignalX
05-11-2011, 02:25 AM
I fully support and endorse this game for people who enjoy this sort of game.

The Tupper
05-11-2011, 06:10 AM
@ TychoCelchuuu (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/member.php?1099-TychoCelchuuu)
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/images/statusicon/user-offline.png

Bugger - genuine apologies. Although it's not an excuse, I am somewhat drunken this evening and am prone to talking shit.

Also when drunk.

Again - sorry. I hereby grant you free licence to troll the next five topics or comments I make on RPS.

Embarrassed...

Matzerath
05-11-2011, 07:49 AM
As to the game in question: it's quite fun, looks great, and has peachy-keen mechanics. It's lovely that they're giving it away for free, as I have paid for games that were definitely inferior to this one.

Corpekata
05-11-2011, 10:34 AM
It closes with an ad for Explodemon. They should've charged for this and given that away, having much more fun with this one.

Heliocentric
05-11-2011, 11:37 AM
It closes with an ad for Explodemon. They should've charged for this and given that away, having much more fun with this one.

Actually... Yeah, I would have liked quality control to give it a pass on a few areas but it's drilled its mechanics into my mind alongside Mario, Sonic, Flashback, Bionic Commando and Metroid et al. That's a make of a great platformer.

Joseph
05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
The name is beautiful. I may be checking this out later on

elephant god
05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
anyone else get a dll error upon startup?

Icarus
07-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Just downloaded this and gave it a whirl, it's strangely compelling and a blast to play.

Edawan
18-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Just finished it.
71 deaths on the last level alone.

DaftPunk
19-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Ah by the name i hoped for some new real stealth game,anyway this looks kinda cool.