PDA

View Full Version : Is now a bad time to buy a hard disk?

thegooseking
05-11-2011, 06:22 PM
A year and a half I bought a 1TB SATA-2 32MB cache WD disk for 67. A couple of months ago, I seem to remember was looking at buying a 2TB drive for about the same price.

Now I'm looking at disks, and they're all hideously expensive. I found one that's virtually identical to the one I have for 120. Decent ones don't seem to be going for less than 90 or 100 (and as a result I'm suspicious of the few that still are about 60). And I'm certainly not likely to find 2TB cheap.

I was going to buy a new hard disk this month, but now I don't know. Anyone know if there was some crisis that's driven the prices up? More importantly, are they likely to go back down again, or have I just left it too late?

Keep
05-11-2011, 06:36 PM
http://forwardthinking.pcmag.com/hard-drives/290180-bad-news-for-hard-drive-production-gets-worse

thegooseking
05-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Crikey. I didn't know about floods in Thailand. Well, like the article says, the humanitarian side is more important, and I feel bad for complaining now. I'll just hold off until things stabilise, and hope the British Red Cross are helping out.

Though the memory I also had my eye on a couple of months ago is now significantly cheaper. I guess that's what I'll be getting this month.

Taidan
05-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I've been dealing with the fallout of this all week. The suppliers I deal with basically panicked on the day the news broke, and pretty much doubled-to-tripled the prices of all the hard drives.

In the week or so since that, they've slowly been adjusting the prices back downwards, in general, but it's still fluctuating quite a bit, and there's a lot of chatter about impending shortages.

In short, I don't think anybody has any real idea how this is all going to play out. There has been some evidence of panic-buying from some retailers, though. I'd say hang on until at least January, if possible.

Colonel J
05-11-2011, 07:26 PM
From ebuyer, Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB.
Price when I bought one on 1st September: 57.29 inc VAT + delivery.
Price today: 179.99

Yikes.

TillEulenspiegel
05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Yikes.
Indeed. It looks like my favorite German online shops have simply pulled their hard drive listings entirely (you can still get SSDs!), but I do see one charging €200+ for drives which cost a quarter of that not too long ago. Not nice.

DigitalSignalX
06-11-2011, 02:32 AM
Got the click of doom on one my machines last week and was also very surprised to see how prices have jumped. Even refurbished are selling for more then the new ones at this time last year. Thankfully Newegg offers a no questions warranty for 10 bucks, making it worth while to take a risk and save almost a hundred dollars.

It's interesting that brick and mortar may weather this down cycle better because they have inventory and don't move the daily in/out volume that online retailers do with such narrow margins.