PDA

View Full Version : Superhero games

Tom OBedlam
06-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I've a real hankering for superheroics, but I'm struggling to find anything to sate my pallet. I've had both Freedom Forces since their releases and I've struggled vainly with CoH, discovering that you can't play it as if its single player and mmo mechanics are rubbish. Obviously Arkham City is round the corner and I've played Asylum to death, but I'm wanting something where I can make my own hero and adventure as him. Is there anything else out there like that, and if not, why? Surely that's a pretty ripe market for the picking?

agentorange
06-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Marvel Ultimate Alliance is probably my favorite super hero game. You're not controlling an individual, but a group of 4 heroes; constructing the posse you want is very enjoyable, as you can mix and match from about 20some heroes and villains, with some match ups giving you special bonuses. There's also an abundance of alternate costumes to unlock, and lots of abilities to sink points into.

For a more free form experience I'd have to say Crackdown. It's not based on any comic book property, but by the end of the game your Agent has powers that could rival Spider-Man or the Hulk, jumping from building to building, lifting cars, round house kicking people 20 feet into the air, etc. Sadly it's only available on the 360.

Althea
06-11-2011, 10:39 AM
but I'm wanting something where I can make my own hero and adventure as him. Is there anything else out there like that, and if not, why? Surely that's a pretty ripe market for the picking?
No idea, but there's very little - if anything - out there. You could always give Champions Online a go, it's a little different to CoH, but I doubt it's what you want.

DigitalSignalX
06-11-2011, 11:06 AM
You might like Prototype or Infamous. They're also not from any comic IP, but do contain many similar themes.

Drake Sigar
06-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I had a lot of trouble narrowing this down because almost every single game is about a hero fighting the injustices of the world, and they usually have powers too (although Batman doesn't have powers so I guess that's not a requirement either). This is what the entire video game industry is based on - you're a Witcher/Grey Warden/Spectre/Jedi Knight/Retarded Space Janitor, now use your specialness to beat those bad guys.

Tom OBedlam
06-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Marvel Ultimate Alliance is probably my favorite super hero game. You're not controlling an individual, but a group of 4 heroes; constructing the posse you want is very enjoyable, as you can mix and match from about 20some heroes and villains, with some match ups giving you special bonuses. There's also an abundance of alternate costumes to unlock, and lots of abilities to sink points into. .

I've played through Marvel Alliance before, but it never really grabbed me that much. I think the top downess of the style and the simplicity of the action turned me off quite a lot. What I'd really enjoy is Vampire the Masquerade with super heroes.

You might like Prototype or Infamous. They're also not from any comic IP, but do contain many similar themes.

I've played prototype and enjoyed it up to a point until I got speared on a huge difficulty spike.

I had a lot of trouble narrowing this down because almost every single game is about a hero fighting the injustices of the world, and they usually have powers too (although Batman doesn't have powers so I guess that's not a requirement either). This is what the entire video game industry is based on - you're a Witcher/Grey Warden/Spectre/Jedi Knight/Retarded Space Janitor, now use your specialness to beat those bad guys.

My you're a facetious one whose made themself look rather pompous, aren't you?

Drake Sigar
06-11-2011, 12:11 PM
What? No, I really am trying to be helpful here. It's just that I've been looking over my shelves and it seems like either all these games qualify, or none of them do.

Althea
06-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Well, none seem to besides Freedom Force or the CoH/CO games because none allow you to create your own hero, which is what the OP asked for ;)

winterwolves
06-11-2011, 12:35 PM
I don't know if you talk about MMO or single player only: I'm downloading DCU right now (is going to take ages though, 14.2Gb!?). I thought to try it since went free to play...

Drake Sigar
06-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Well, none seem to besides Freedom Force or the CoH/CO games because none allow you to create your own hero, which is what the OP asked for ;)
*Sigh* BG or Fable then? The examples don't matter, I'm asking at what point does a character become a superhero. They both have powers and fight evil. Some like that Assassin's Creed ponce even have elaborate costumes. Maybe they need to have their own comic or something, but thanks to modern day video game promotions, comics or novels aren't a rarity either.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I genuinely don't understand the criteria.

Althea
06-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Judging by the examples the OP has given, to me it's clear that the OP wants to play a superhero. You know, like Marvel and DC superheroes? Spandex, huge tits, bubble butts, packages and buff physiques? Those kind. The term "superhero" almost exclusively relates to them.

In Fable, you're just a Hero, anyway.

Wizardry
06-11-2011, 04:48 PM
I know a good one without character creation.

Tikey
06-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Well, with a little bit of modding you can make your own characters on Freedom Force. There are several bodies, the problem is you have to make your own skins if you want something that isn't in game.

Keep
06-11-2011, 05:37 PM
*Sigh* BG or Fable then? The examples don't matter, I'm asking at what point does a character become a superhero. They both have powers and fight evil. Some like that Assassin's Creed ponce even have elaborate costumes. Maybe they need to have their own comic or something, but thanks to modern day video game promotions, comics or novels aren't a rarity either.

I think the "super-" part could mean...
1. "super within whatever universe it is", not just "within our universe". So magic powers in a place where every village has a local wizard don't mean "super". You gotta be unique.
2. "super in relation to everyone else", not just "in relation to us". Mooks don't stand a change against you; it takes someone equally extraordinary just to put up a fight.
3. "super...bly dressed". Totally outrageous. Maybe symbolically significant or summat too.

I think the "destined by the Prophecy" type hero belongs in a different box, as does the guy whose heroism is due to training - no matter how hardcore it was (unless he travelled to a supernatural/otherworldly place to do it (see: Batman; Luke Skywalker; Cu Chulainn).

thegooseking
06-11-2011, 05:51 PM
I've been thinking a similar thing recently. On paper, Crackdown is the kind of game I want, but it somehow doesn't live up to the promise. What I really want is to be a superhero in Saints Row. Crackdown and Prototype don't offer character customisation (and I'd argue that Prototype is more like being a superhero in Just Cause, despite the dissimilarity of setting). I kind of want a single-player version of CoH/CO, because those games both make odd concessions to the superhero genre for multiplayer balance (the whole point of an MMO is that you're not a superhero; you're just like everyone else).

Flint
06-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Seconding Infamous if you've not played it, provided you have a PS3. It may not have a character creation thing but it's a rather great superhero story nonetheless (or supervillain I spose, thanks to the rather rigid "saving babies/eating babies" karma system), it gets the feel right.

Hensler
06-11-2011, 08:27 PM
As far as Infamous goes, I'd really recommend skipping the first installment and going to #2.

Deptfordx
06-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I'd disagree, i think both were great and you could pick up the first really cheap these days.

Wulf
07-11-2011, 12:15 AM
I noticed that you haven't mentioned Champions Online. It's changed a lot since launch, with new zones, loads of content, and the gameplay mechanics become ever more action oriented all the time. It really does fulfil the superhero role, for me, and it's truly become the "Be the hero you want to be!" game that I always wanted.

Even better is that the game isn't crippled for free players. In fact, there are only a couple of small adventure packs that you'd have to pay for, and those are insular content unrelated to the main zones, so you can go to the highest levels without even taking a peek at those. There are free classes, a great number of them, which you can choose from. There are also premium classes which you can, yes, buy (they have to get their money from somewhere). But even with those they have this nifty archetype rotation thing going on that lets you trial new archetypes. I'd actually call that an innovation.

They're in the process of adding even more content, with a brand new zone not that far away, two new powersets (Elemental Earth and Wind) are just about ready to be landed on the public test server, and soon after, live. There are costumes for just about anything you could want to create (I even managed to create Earthworm Jim. There's an annelid head present. No, not kidding.) And best of all, the game goes at the pace you want. You can speed through the game with a few deaths as a squishy glass cannon, or you can take a more leisurely, stress-free pace and never die. And even if you take a tankish character, it never feels like it's going to take you forever to get somewhere. This isn't WoW. It's a polar opposite.

There are public missions, and they are ranked, like WAR, but unlike WAR they've changed their public missions so that rewards are based upon a participation system. Sound familiar? Yeah, it did to me too. It's GW2's method. Basically, if you participate enough then you get a drop from a loot table, the same drop that anyone else who participated gets. So you don't have to stress yourself out trying to get the top score in an encounter, the scores are there for bragging rights and nothing else.

Another nice thing about Champions is that loot is very secondary. What I've found is that even with white and yellow items gained from the Debugger vendor on the test server, I can just roll through level 40 content, so long as I use my head. And there are soft and hard caps on having stats too high, so really, high stats are just for bragging rights. And even better yet is that the items themselves don't actually change your costume. You can get costume unlocks from items, yes, but it doesn't immediately change the look you spent hours crafting, so you don't have to run around looking like a clown. (I'm looking at you, DC Universe Online.)

The crafting is very secondary too. I only have crafting on my mains, with all of my alts I just don't bother, because I've found that for the few novelty items I want from crafting, I only need one or two characters who do crafting out of my entire roster. So there's that as well. Crafting does give you fun things, but not necessary things, so you won't have to sit in front of a crafting table monotonously hitting buttons for ages, you won't need to sort your bags between selling/crafting stuff, you won't need crafting to actually give you things to survive. In fact, if you have no interest in the novelties that crafting provides, you can just skip crafting all together to speed up the process of selling junk so that you can just get back out into the field and having fun.

The comic book series they've been adding as well are pretty awesome, very story-heavy, cutscenes, and lots of unique elements. For example: In the Aftershock comic series I ended up having to submit to the Kings of Edom, and I got to run around as an Avatar of Edom, which meant that I got to smack around the famed hero Defender and all the other notable Champions to boot. It was a lot of fun. There's a lot of variety in there too, betwixt powers and locations. From the frozen north of Canada, to the sunken domes of Lemuria, and the entertainingly B-Movie-ish and atmospheric New Orleans-alike that is Vibora Bay (I love Vibora Bay).

It's very light-hearted, too. So if the grimdarkness thing is your bag then it might not sit well, it's not as... I don't know, I always felt that the grimdark thing was way too unnecessarily emo if it wasn't at least interspersed with emo. When I think of grimdarkness I think of the Spiderman clone saga. This is nothing like that. This is somewhere between Adam West and the silver age of philosophical heroes. It's just a bit of fun, and it's great for that, it's a wonderful way to unwind.

The Champions Online of today is a hell of a lot different than CO was at launch, they've done a lot of good with it. Not only that but it can optionally tie-in with Steam, you can even get it to download from Steam if you want, so it won't cost you a week of your life just waiting for the damn thing to arrive (I'm looking at you, DC Universe Online). And it has Steam achievements too if you tie it in with Steam, so if you like that, there's that.

And finishing up, just to explain further the sort of wonderfully silly and cheery game Champions is...

There are titles and achievements in CO, about 5-10% of them are optional grind. The rest? You get a number of them for just going through the game, some you get for exploration, and others? Others you get for doing silly things. Here are some of my favourite examples: Do the howl emote outside the Dog Pound in Vibora Bay and you get the 'Bark at the Moon' perk, sit on a giant dinosaur egg found in Monster Island and you get the 'Eggman' perk.

Yeah, there are a lot of puns in CO... a lot of them. Everywhere. In the quest names, the quest text, everything. I'm not just talking about cheap pop culture references a la WoW, either. There are so many grand groaners in there that "Oh Cryptic..." has become a common catchphrase between myself and my friends, due to just how bad/good (subjectively!) the puns are. I can't help but wonder if they hired someone from the RPS community to come up with this stuff for them. But it's the sort of thing you don't attempt unless you're actually good at it, and they are very good at it.

And yeah, yeah... I know, pitch for CO. But I love the game. And haters will invariably hate. It's what they do.

---EDIT---

I kind of feel obligated to note that there is some form of environmental destruction in CO, similar to what Freedom Force did, in fact. Very similar. Which was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it.

See, if you have a guy who's based around brute strength (like the Behemoth or Savage archetypes) then you'll have a guy who can rip up stuff and throw it around. Most characters can rip lamp posts out of the ground to clock someone around the face with them, but later on you're picking up high-tech tanks, ATVs, alien equipment, and even absolutely bloody massive boulders. You're donking trucks on the heads of evildoers, you're tossing posh cars, fridges, or telephones at unsuspecting VIPER soldiers, and so on.

It has a lot of that in there for those who like that sort of thing, and it is pretty funny. And... if you know where to find it, there's one plant pot in Vibora Bay that's stronger and lasts a lot longer than it should. When I found that I promptly went around bonking people on the nose with it. This lead to me saving one person who had next to no life left.

"BEHOLD MY INVULNERABLE PLANT POT."
"It is very impressive."
"Isn't it though?"

I really do love CO. So many moments like that.

SephKing
07-11-2011, 12:22 PM
If you can get hold of it then i'd definitely suggest trying out Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions. The PC port was suprisingly good, the graphics are quite impressive and the game is just downright fun. I actually found Arkham to get really repitive arfter the first half but I enjoyed shattered dimensions from beginning end.

Some screens...
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae213/Sephis95/Game2011-03-1902-02-29-46.jpg

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae213/Sephis95/Game2011-03-1913-34-43-59.jpg

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae213/Sephis95/Game2011-03-2300-50-28-85.jpg

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae213/Sephis95/Game2011-03-2300-50-44-48.jpg

Drake Sigar
07-11-2011, 12:47 PM
I still think the definitive version of Spider-Man was the one back in 2001. Great music, great wham pow comic effects, great colour pallete, great boss fights. If it has one major flaw, it's that damn camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewpVCM9rXi4&feature=related

SephKing
07-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I still think the definitive version of Spider-Man was the one back in 2001. Great music, great wham pow comic effects, great colour pallete, great boss fights. If it has one major flaw, it's that damn camera.

[video=youtube;ewpVCM9rXi4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewpVCM9rXi4&feature=related[video]

Absolutely. The PS1 Spiderman games were the best by far but Shattered Dimensons is the best modern spiderman game i've played and is probably the last that we'll see on PC for a while (the newest one wasn't on PC at all).

Althea
07-11-2011, 01:02 PM
What about Spider-Man 2, on the PS2? It was like GTA: Spider-Man.

SephKing
07-11-2011, 01:12 PM
What about Spider-Man 2, on the PS2? It was like GTA: Spider-Man.

Got my timeline a bit mixed up there, I meant the PS2 ;-)

Ian
07-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Spider-Man 2 is clearly the best.

It's hard to say that the web-swinging was good enough to make up for the awful story, combat, voice-acting, etc. without feeling like an idiot but... it's totally true.

Step 1: Climb to the top of the Empire State Building (or the equivalent that the city map has.)
Step 2: Jump!
Step 3: Swan-dive to the ground, leaving it as late as possible to fire out some web.
Step 4: Use the momentum to swing about like a mentalist.

Momentum + corners was the best, perfectly achieving that rapid change of direction. I want to play it again now. What a game.

I dunno if it was on PC but I really liked Hulk: Ultimate Destruction for similar reasons. Running around, smashing your way up buildings, doing huge leaps across city blocks. That game got older quicker than Spider-Man 2 for me, because they started introducing enemies (largely massive mechs, etc.) that you couldn't throw around or have much of a physical impact on. It robbed you of the feeling of power you'd built up, which was a shame.

Was the PC version of Spider-Man 2 any good?

Tikey
07-11-2011, 01:56 PM
If we're talking spiderman games, ultimate spiderman was quite good.

SephKing
07-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Spider-Man 2 is clearly the best.

It's hard to say that the web-swinging was good enough to make up for the awful story, combat, voice-acting, etc. without feeling like an idiot but... it's totally true.

Step 1: Climb to the top of the Empire State Building (or the equivalent that the city map has.)
Step 2: Jump!
Step 3: Swan-dive to the ground, leaving it as late as possible to fire out some web.
Step 4: Use the momentum to swing about like a mentalist.

Momentum + corners was the best, perfectly achieving that rapid change of direction. I want to play it again now. What a game.

I dunno if it was on PC but I really liked Hulk: Ultimate Destruction for similar reasons. Running around, smashing your way up buildings, doing huge leaps across city blocks. That game got older quicker than Spider-Man 2 for me, because they started introducing enemies (largely massive mechs, etc.) that you couldn't throw around or have much of a physical impact on. It robbed you of the feeling of power you'd built up, which was a shame.

Was the PC version of Spider-Man 2 any good?

To quote ign:

"I could probably say more bad about the game and go into detail about the bad and some of the "high points" but what's the point. Spider-Man 2 for the PC is a piece of crap. If you want a real Spider-Man 2 game, go pick up one of the console versions."

Sparkasaurusmex
27-05-2012, 04:04 AM
To quote ign:

"I could probably say more bad about the game and go into detail about the bad and some of the "high points" but what's the point. Spider-Man 2 for the PC is a piece of crap. If you want a real Spider-Man 2 game, go pick up one of the console versions."
It wasn't even a bad port. It was an entirely different game. A "casual" spider man.

gwathdring
27-05-2012, 07:06 AM
I enjoyed the swinging in Spiderman 2 but I found absolutely everything else impossibly bland. I haven't owned a console for a while, either, so I've missed out on most of the games recommended here unfortunately. I've wanted to give Crackdown and Infamous a try for some time.

I don't think I've ever played a really good super hero game. Freedom Force was almost there, but it could get awfully tedious sometimes.

Edit: Wow. Complete brain failure. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were both extremely enjoyable and captured the whole super-hero shtick quite well as opposed to simply being really well made action games. I ran over my analog and digital libraries when I realized I'd forgotten those, and nothing else caught my attention.

Sparkasaurusmex
27-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Hmm yeah I agree gwathdring. The most fun modern super hero game is probably Prototype. Batman is cool, but it doesn't feel as "super" as Prototype.